a mini-gallery

Thanks, Vil! It's a generic, utterly insubstantial action anime, but it pulls every dirty trick in the book to keep you hooked. Kinda like Korean soap opera + Marvel's Avengers.
I agree that Korean dramas be addictive like Marvel Avengers. Your Natsu reminds me of the Cosplay of Natsu(Soul Calibur) to Natsu(Fairy Tail). The rest of the CAS have clever yet simple hairstyle tweaks.

I agree that Korean dramas be addictive like Marvel Avengers. Your Natsu reminds me of the Cosplay of Natsu(Soul Calibur) to Natsu(Fairy Tail). The rest of the CAS have clever yet simple hairstyle tweaks.

The only tweak i am missing is a croissant shaped hairpin, but maybe that's just me :)

Here's a legendary figure from my culture that didn't make it in time for Pascuzzi's contest:
HUA MULAN
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_13.png.jpg
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_7.png.jpg
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ.png.jpg

Notes: A mix of Disney, Once Upon a Time, and Diablo 3. My vision of a tougher, meaner Mulan. Like if she came out of the closet and became a general battling off demons (rather than a foot soldier scrapping with Huns). I noticed that Chinese armor (historical and fictional) feature poofy sleeves and fancy waist armor, so I used a bump mapped summer blouse and Roman waist wrap. The waist piece has a black angel wing sticker at the bottom to cut out the center flap and give the sides a ragged edge. I used a loopy tribal tattoo on the chest to contour to her breasts. Gotta work with watcha got lol. One of the few CaS's I tried to blend in with the world of SCV.

Official entry to same contest,
DAVY CROCKETT
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_1.png.jpg
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_4.png.jpg

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_2.png.jpg

...cuz coonskin caps are teh bomb.

Last edited:
HUA MULAN
A
maz
ing.

Had that made it in on time, I'd have voted for it and I daresay it would've won you the round, not that you needed it to win. The design of the armor and the top has that perfect balance of detail and cleanliness. The integration with the bottom works exceptionally well, too; something rarely seen with that piece of equipment.

A
maz
ing.

Had that made it in on time, I'd have voted for it and I daresay it would've won you the round, not that you needed it to win. The design of the armor and the top has that perfect balance of detail and cleanliness. The integration with the bottom works exceptionally well, too; something rarely seen with that piece of equipment.
Thanks for the feedback, Pas! These contests really keep the imagination going. One of the biggest advantages this CaS site has over the others.

Nice Mulan, clean yet nicely detailed, and again kudos for the clever hat and armor design using all tricks at your disposal.
Maybe i would have picked a more asian looking face preset though, but i am sure you took the one closest to the real thing.
Same comment for Davy, maybe something more mature and less anime face, but i guess it is personal preference but a stubble or some facial hair would have added some fluff and flair if you see what i mean :P...
As you know, one of my favourite disneys of all time...

Nice Mulan, clean yet nicely detailed, and again kudos for the clever hat and armor design using all tricks at your disposal.
Maybe i would have picked a more asian looking face preset though, but i am sure you took the one closest to the real thing.
Same comment for Davy, maybe something more mature and less anime face, but i guess it is personal preference but a stubble or some facial hair would have added some fluff and flair if you see what i mean :P...
As you know, one of my favourite disneys of all time...
I really appreciate your insights, Vil. Somehow all the preset faces look caucasian to me. The makeup you used on your custom Taki way back in the day does push it in an Asian direction. It looked too classy/lady-like on her though, so I used the scar makeup, which fits the badass angle I'm playing for. You're totally right about Davy. As I was going through all the faces, I noticed that the older ones all looked really pissed off for some reason, which does NOT jive with Davy, who's as renowned for his sense of humor and eloquence as he was for his ruggedness. This preset's got the cocky, dashing part down, but it's pretty damn fresh-looking. I totally should have stickered in some facial hair as you recommended though. I tend to get careless with my male creations.

I love how you mention Taki, i am so proud of her, even though i was more creative with Tora and alternates (Tiger lady).

But you my man never get careless with your awesome headdresses and hat design, always very creative and fresh to me, even a couple of years after game release, which is a feat in itself...and i know what i am talking about in terms of intricate build if your remember a few of my mayan female headdresses or other hat wearing CAS :P

But yes, some of your CAS face need some more distinctiveness to match the rest of the design and add coherence here and there...imagine my tycoon or the commission CAS on the cover of my second artbook with a generic teenie face, that wouldn't work right ? Actually, i very much started creating from the face details i imagined, just the way i start my free hand drawings, from the eyes and stuff...i mean the head/face is the soul in "create a ...", a pattern or good use of ExEq will only go so far as to complement or add some wow factor...i a waiting on your recreation of my dragon knight to see if you can nail it on a male then...oh wait, he wears a full face guard, lol :P

I just looked through your gallery. Your creations are so cool. I love your Cleopatra and Antonius. The descriptions are very funny and clever. Definitely some creative ideas. I could never build such characters!
Thanks, Bee! Anyone can do it if (s)he tried, but I appreciate the support. Best wishes.

Ok bro, you've asked for it.

First of all, there are many creations here, so I'll review those that caught my attention and try to add something to your (awesome) job:

1 - Dryad: OMG, what a masterpiece! Horns, stickers, color scheme, all amazing. May I suggest you try to change the hair color to match the horns or/and highlight some shades of green? I believe that in this way she may seem a little less "human" and more like an "offspring of nature". Anyway, one of the best creations I've seen.

2 - Harpie: Awesome! That FOS looks amazing for making the beak! Two observations here:
2.1 - The others SpecEqs. I mean, yeah this really pulls the creation to the bird-like theme, but you could do much more putting two sets of horns on the horse legs, for example, to make her look more like a birdie. Besides that, the breasts would not be an issue anymore, if you know what I mean...
2.2 - Color scheme. Black/gold looks great, just see Goliath (just kidding XD), but I think it doesn't fit quite well for an harpie. Why don't you try something towards blue/white with gold details? I think that would work much better.

3 - Tribal Priestess: Frightening. She really resembles a crazy zealot hungry for human souls. Nice catch with the colors, stickers and patterns on this one. My only complaints are the horns' size, too big and bulky, you could try to reduce that; and the lack of paintings and tattos on the face (mouth) and body. Besides that, she looks frighteningly amazing.

4 - Cleopatra: What can I say about that hair ornament? The idea and execution are exceptional! The eye protector match seamlessly with the FOS, just like the hair matching with the Centurion Plume. The robes also looks awesome, especially with the stickers and pattern work. There's nothing much to add to her, except that I feel that you could use more gold, like on the end of the sleeves. Brilliant work.

5 - The Violinist: What a wonderful lady! Everything on her looks perfect: wonder jacket, body proportions, color scheme, the (amazing) violin. She really resembles a Mozart's musician. The only thing that I could add is that maybe you should trade the Pauldrons for the Epaulettes (or Warrior's Shoulder perhaps?).

My internet isn't helping me today, so I'll stop this here, for now at least. Man, it's really hard to do that, especially with an artist that teach me so much, not only with reviews, but with inspirational CaS as well. I really wish we have a SCVI, but until then I hope to see more CaS from you in SCV. Keep it up!

Thanks! I'm gonna have to update these old creations of mine.

1. Dryad: I think I was going for an autumn look way back in 2012, but a more verdant look could certainly set her apart from the crowd.
2. Harpie: Yeah, I probably went overboard with the feather brooch SpecEq. A different color scheme is definitely in order. Maybe one based on a parrot or a macaw.
3. Priestess: Righto. Facepaint might do the trick.
4. Cleo: Ooh, gold on the sleeves would match the trimming on the skirt! It might not be possible to get stickers on the sleeves, but I'll see what I can do.
5. Violinist: The design for this one secondary to the violin SpecEq. I might need to refashion this one into a pocket-sticker crammed bard-type character.

Eventually I'll have to try making some knights like yours. Warrior-type CaS have always been difficult since heavy armor doesn't usually take stickers. That gradient trick might come in handy.

Apparently I've been here before, when I was lurking - but alas, I had not yet registered, so commenting was certainly out. But, you asked for my feedback, and I shall endeavor to give it. So many creations... @_@; I think I need to take this in steps.

General thoughts: You are a sticker genius. Most of the ones that stand out to me are incredibly clever or artistic with sticker use. I don't pay much attention to recreations, since half the time I'm lost on the source material anyway (Fire Emblem, Valkyrie Profile, Blazblue, various animes... I don't play or watch any of them). That being said, I try to take the creation on its own merits, and some of them are damn good regardless of their source of inspiration. Overall, I don't think there's anything I can add that would help you "improve" at all, but if you're still making these, I would love to see more original creations.

Ones that particularly stand out to me:
  • Dryad - I just love the way everything comes together, and I see what you meant with your suggestions for Summer. Does give me some ideas. As to your Spriggan-inspired creation, I think the "branches" in her shoulders could work better as pauldrons of some kind, flaring outward with the clavicle instead. I saw above you were going for an autumn theme, but I don't think the colors quite get there - maybe an update is in order? I'll bet you could work some interesting magic on this one, given all the DLC (and presumably, everything you've learned) since 2012.
  • Washington - Laughed hard at this one. The "Old Glory" sword is magnificent.
  • Harpy - Hard to go wrong with White / Gold / Black, and I really like the helmet extension. She doesn't quite make me think "Harpy" exactly, but the design is damn cool.
  • Demon Hunter - I haven't played D3, but the design here is awesome. The Assassin's Creed look (the hood in particular) makes me want to give Ezio some friends. Maybe some of those fellow assassins from his "Brotherhood" days.
  • Tribal Priestess - More fantastic sticker use. I am envy.
  • Naraku - I don't watch Inuyasha so I wouldn't get the reference, but the way the eye on his chest is framed with the horns is really cool. Top it off with spiky demon back-things, and he'd be an amazingly sinister CAS in his own right.
  • Anubis - I liked this one so much I had to clone him. 'Nuff said. I do prefer him with pitch-black skin and Asty's Pharaoh Axe, though.
  • Cleopatra - Headdress is brilliant. Dress is gorgeous, and provided some inspiration for when I was doing my wizard Phineas. I have never liked that belt though, on account of how far off the waist it floats.
  • Beelzebub - Not much to this one, but what's there just works.
  • Morrigan - I never managed to get through Dragon Age, so I probably don't have the same appreciation for the character, but this recreation looks fun to have in-game. The vest/sticker combo is neat, makes me want to try something similar with future CAS of my own.
  • Space Android - Holy. Shit. That is all. I prefer the Sigfried / Demon Pauldrons white version over the blue, though.
  • Liesloth - Again with the patterns and stickers! Stop making me so jelly. :( On a more serious note, the combo of corset and tie-top is brilliant. Love this char, though I think I'd have gone with a different hairstyle.
  • Valkyrie Dragon Rider - I kind of want her to be a character in my Skyrim game now...
  • Mermaid and Werecat - Both of these blow me away with the level of detail and creativity. Mermaid has almost a "Gargoyles" look to her, with the bat-wings on her head. Kitty is adorable. I'd take her home, except I hate Voldo's style. :P
  • Kali - The Hindu theme is really well-done here. The colors are spot-on. Shame you couldn't make her tongue stick out though. That seems to be her "thing."
  • Hua Mulan - I didn't think anything would make that Roman waist-wrap look good, but damn if you didn't pull it off. That alone makes this one amazing to me, but the design as a whole is great. Only nitpick is, I'm looking at the shadow on her lower chest and wondering what's causing it. Seems like sticker bump-mapping gone awry.
Also, while I wasn't really a fan of Voldo/Pyrrha, this...
Haha, thanks! Pyrrah's one of my least favorite SCV chars (too moe), but people go on and on about how Pyrrah's so cuute, how they loove Pyrrah, and how they wanna maarry her.....so yah. I wanted to scare all the Pyrrah fan boys away, so I merged her with Voldo. Tried to make Astaroth dressed as Viola too, but it failed. I'll probably give that a shot later tho lol.
...I love you for. Neither I nor my girlfriend care much for Pyrrha at all and get really annoyed over how she sounds like she belongs in a bad hentai (The kind with lusty, aggressive monsters).

Welp I have finally finished taking a quick glance through your gallery, one of the shorter ones of what I would consider the highly accomplished artists, and I must say I find myself slightly overwhelmed. I think I'll keep poking through these pages for inspiration whenever I am feeling particularly frustrated with a character. By nature I never want to copy exactly the work of another person whether it be placement of a particular SpecEq or a particularly brilliant headpiece but just the sheer creativity of many of the pieces in this gallery make me feel energized and excited to start mixing things together and trying to find something new in my piece I may have overlooked before. You and a few other artists here have works that surprise me every time I look at them, each time I start to notice more and more details, tiny bits and pieces I overlooked before that result in the complete piece. It reminds me that while my works are progressing large scale I still have a long way to go with the minute details.

Couldn't agree more with your analysis FaderPotater on Brucege's gallery...let me share mine (not my gallery, elsewhere to be found, but my analysis).

A bad CAS is a CAS which hurts the eyes or has been done to death (ie. Flashy Anime RCAS nobody knows about)
A good CAS is a CAS with a competent choice of parts and colors and some (albeit vague) art direction.
A great CAS (RCAS or OC) is a CAS where parts/colors/stickers/makeup/voice/fighting style/weapon and weapon effects and and ExEq ALL work towards elevating the CAS to a true persona, a unique blend, a soul of high caliber, one that sets itself apart from the most mundane 1P and 2Ps of the standard roster.
To create a great CAS, you firstly need a concept, a fresh idea, a direction (funny / eerie / scary stuff, impossible recreations, transcending genres and eras, etc.).
Then you just need to have enough technique and practice to beat the editor's limitations to a pulp, then carefully field-test in-game and take great pics (also preferrably in-game because what counts is the way it plays, with in-game lighting, in the proper stage), and then post and hope for some constructive artistic feedback...

I post this here, as a courtesy to Brucege (who is the kindest and most generous person i ever met...online :), but i could have posted it in your thread as well. If you value my advice of course, i will be lurking.

This is the way of the Bu(CA)shido, my friend :)

@FaderPotater: You're learning much faster than I ever did haha. It takes a bit of experimenting before you really settle on a style of your own. I've always been partial to fancy custom hairstyles and minimalist outfits. It looks like you're just started on a path of self discovery. Your gallery has a relatively even mix of male to female. The males favor heavy armor while the females have a pretty even mix of heavy and light. Overall, you're shaping up to be quite a versatile artist with a knack for pretty dresses. Straight dresses are really hard to make while heavy armor is extremely difficult to customize, so I would definitely try making some ranger/hunter type characters. That way you get to use equipment layers while opening space to practice your stickers/bump mapping.

@VILARCANE: Thanks, old friend. By your standards of CaS, "great CaS" would include Creation of Adam and the Last Supper. Starry Night probably wouldn't make the cut lol. Just kidding. I agree with most of the points in your analysis. I appreciate you stopping by. Mad busy with work lately.

Here's some screen captures of my old creations by a friend to break this wall of text:
yuriko-5.jpg
beelzebub-3.jpg
yuriko-6.jpg

Back