a mini-gallery

This is fucking GENIUS but why Pyrrah?
Haha, thanks! Pyrrah's one of my least favorite SCV chars (too moe), but people go on and on about how Pyrrah's so cuute, how they loove Pyrrah, and how they wanna maarry her.....so yah. I wanted to scare all the Pyrrah fan boys away, so I merged her with Voldo. Tried to make Astaroth dressed as Viola too, but it failed. I'll probably give that a shot later tho lol.

Haha, thanks! Pyrrah's one of my least favorite SCV chars (too moe), but people go on and on about how Pyrrah's so cuute, how they loove Pyrrah, and how they wanna maarry her.....so yah. I wanted to scare all the Pyrrah fan boys away, so I merged her with Voldo. Tried to make Astaroth dressed as Viola too, but it failed. I'll probably give that a shot later tho lol.
That makes perfect sense! That's pretty clever of you :) Asta dressed as Viola? Oh god...

That CAS is so british and the pipe so Gef...
For you doing such a charming lad must be....Elementary my dear Brucege...
Hat is a masterpiece...i bow to your deductive powers
a cloud of milk in your tea good sir (winking back at you)

Holy crap, Sherlock. It's so beautiful I think I'm going to cry T_T Haha, he's my hero too XD And the Guile you did all those months ago? Gold XD

I realized by looking through your stuff i missed a few things...

The Queen bee :
insect anthros have always been my thing, so i applause that beautiful and sexy insect lady, the use of the stripe pattern is classy, as are the other elements, a blend of gothic and nature, very whimsical...and scary somehow

The violinist :
a subtle game of colors, an anime cute face with a mole reminding of her nobility, and of course that perfect cello. Aside from the build, the colors are exquisite and look genuine.

The steampunk Grenadier :
another elegant (yet presumably) deadly CAS with a masterfully crafted PDW and an oversized grenade (a anime gimmick of course, to show the girl has balls, and big ones !).

Steampunk Hazmat :
Gotta love the helmet rebreather !

Again the pocket stickers and various patterns contribute to the overall charisma of the CAS, rather than detract from the original theme.
Sure there is always areas where i would have picked slightly different colors or made a different use of stickers, but fact is all sport a distinctive feel and must look gorgeous in-game...

Bravo !

Here's some original creations from the land of my ancestors, China! I won't post any details, so let's see what you guys can figure out about these characters (in terms of personality or profession).

Chinese Princess
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_3e.png

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_7e.png

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴe.png

Notes: Hat = ribbon + flower + goddess feathers. Golden lion crests on shirt and skin. Quilt pattern on sleeves blocked off by square stickers. She plays with a sword and fights with a brush. Yep.

FORMULA ATTACHED.

Attachments

• ChinesePrincess.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
Beijing Opera Star
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_5e.png

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_8e.png

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_10e.png

Notes: two pairs goddess feathers, one samurai ornament on head. Snake skin pattern on sleeves blocked off by squares. Glitter stripe pattern on jacket + inverted tree sticker. Spade, butterfly, and golden lion crest on shirt. Scale pattern on pants + dragon sticker. Yoshimitsu's theatrical moveset is an obvious choice for this gal.

And that's it! I think I've used up the last of my CaS MP on these lol.

Last edited:
Yay! Thanks, brotha. Here's my response:
Queen Bee: She's supposed to be Beelzebub (a giant bee demon, one of the seven princes of hell). To me, everything just makes sense: the bee head on the shirt, the fuzzy thorax made from the centurion plumes, gauntlets for the segmented arms, and the striped skirt for the abdomen. Then the scary makeup and the curly tattoos on the chest for a baroque/gothic twist. She actually predates the bump-mapping craze. Of all my creations, she's somehow the one I cherish the most.

Violinist: Based off a number of Mozart's portraits. My favorite composer. The bump-mapped phoenix sticker around the neck is supposed to simulate shirt frills. I wish I could do away with all the armor, but I couldn't find another way to hide the ugly parts on the wonder coat.

Grenadier: Started off as an attempt to recreate DFO's female gunner. When it failed, I turned to Sucker Punch for inspiration.

Hazmat: I was fooling around in CaS one day, and I realized that I've never seen a respirator on the forums. When I saw how easy to make it was, I laughed. Killzone, Fallout, and Sucker Punch inspired.

Last edited:
Yay! Thanks, brotha. Here's my response:
Queen Bee: She's supposed to be Beelzebub (a giant bee demon, one of the seven princes of hell). To me, everything just makes sense: the bee head on the shirt, the fuzzy thorax made from the centurion plumes, gauntlets for the segmented arms, and the striped skirt for the abdomen. Then the scary makeup and the curly tattoos on the chest for a baroque/gothic twist. She actually predates the bump-mapping craze. Of all my creations, she's somehow the one I cherish the most.

Violinist: Based off a number of Mozart's portraits. My favorite composer. The bump-mapped phoenix sticker around the neck is supposed to simulate shirt frills. I wish I could do away with all the armor, but I couldn't find another way to hide the ugly parts on the wonder coat.

Grenadier: Started off as an attempt to recreate DFO's female gunner. When it failed, I turned to Sucker Punch for inspiration.

Hazmat: I was fooling around in CaS one day, and I realized that I've never seen a respirator on the forums. When I saw how easy to make it was, I laughed. Killzone, Fallout, and Sucker Punch inspired.

Funny to see how your designs are almost as thought out as mine LOOOOOL !
Thanks for the additional design notes, much appreciated

My dear Brucege, i have always liked your CAS, but also always felt you had it in you to sweep me off my feet.
This is the day :)

The first two chinese CAS had this effect on me.

I won't dwell too much on the third one where you went IMO a bit overboard with the colors and details.
Still i think it is a very interesting one, the only gripe i have is that the color scheme puts me off, as does the pattern overkill. But that being said, the idea is quite good (using that headgear especially) and i am sure it doesn't look bad at all in-game, i just don't dig this one...

Then come the other two :

The first one (the girl) is what could be either a pleasure girl going berserk on customers, or a courtisane, or just an art gallery proprietor of the finest chinese nobility.
Of course, what wowed me was that gorgeous hat build, the rest of the CAS being pretty simple in terms of colors and patterns, but also quite effective and very chinese looking because of that...from head to toes.
Subtle makeup and sticker work add some detailing, but i don't see a backshot so i am unsure about what the eagle sticker is used for...
You might have added subtle patterning to the clothing, but i respect your choice.

The second one is definitely my favourite one of the bunch, everything above waist makes perfect sense, from the genius hat build to the very vil - esque sticker fresque on the robes, supported by subtle patterning and contrasted colors !
The added details on the face (those moustache and "goatee" stickers are a great find), and the style you picked tends to make me thing of some kind of chinese aristocrat, the emperor's grey eminence or 1st advisor, something in that direction, or a rich merchant, or with the rather stern look on his face a chinese pimp (for that deadly pleasure girl above :).
The only thing i would have done differently is probably the lower part of the CAS, which looks a bit bland compared to the rest, and not completely attuned to the theme...embroidered pants, decorated boots, brighter colors matched to the torso, i don't know, but i would slightly rework the lower half to make the rich merchant / counsellor / pimp look...

I declare you king of this undead board for a while, mon ami, keep it up, and you might keep me coming here once i an while :P

just when I thought that no new creation could have surprised me... You presents us with this Chinese pack!!!

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@All: Thanks for all the support, guys!

@VILARCANE:
My dear Brucege, i have always liked your CAS, but also always felt you had it in you to sweep me off my feet.
This is the day :)

The first two chinese CAS had this effect on me.

I won't dwell too much on the third one where you went IMO a bit overboard with the colors and details.
Still i think it is a very interesting one, the only gripe i have is that the color scheme puts me off, as does the pattern overkill. But that being said, the idea is quite good (using that headgear especially) and i am sure it doesn't look bad at all in-game, i just don't dig this one...

Then come the other two :

The first one (the girl) is what could be either a pleasure girl going berserk on customers, or a courtisane, or just an art gallery proprietor of the finest chinese nobility.
Of course, what wowed me was that gorgeous hat build, the rest of the CAS being pretty simple in terms of colors and patterns, but also quite effective and very chinese looking because of that...from head to toes.
Subtle makeup and sticker work add some detailing, but i don't see a backshot so i am unsure about what the eagle sticker is used for...
You might have added subtle patterning to the clothing, but i respect your choice.

The second one is definitely my favourite one of the bunch, everything above waist makes perfect sense, from the genius hat build to the very vil - esque sticker fresque on the robes, supported by subtle patterning and contrasted colors !
The added details on the face (those moustache and "goatee" stickers are a great find), and the style you picked tends to make me thing of some kind of chinese aristocrat, the emperor's grey eminence or 1st advisor, something in that direction, or a rich merchant, or with the rather stern look on his face a chinese pimp (for that deadly pleasure girl above :).
The only thing i would have done differently is probably the lower part of the CAS, which looks a bit bland compared to the rest, and not completely attuned to the theme...embroidered pants, decorated boots, brighter colors matched to the torso, i don't know, but i would slightly rework the lower half to make the rich merchant / counsellor / pimp look...

I declare you king of this undead board for a while, mon ami, keep it up, and you might keep me coming here once i an while :P
CAS #1: I can totally see how the revealing clothes would make her look like a prostitute/concubine, but she was actually inspired by Princess Pearl, a hugely popular classic TV show in China. The hat and the fur scarf establish her as a Qing Dynasty princess. The loose, flowing clothes show that she's a mischievous, irreverent tomboy, the kind that steals the palace guard's swords and paints graffiti on the palace walls. I didn't use many textures since I wouldn't be able to repeat it on the sleeves (which is a pattern blocked off by pink squares), and I figured that silk's supposed to be relatively smooth and shiny anyways.

CAS #2: Right on the mark. He's indeed an advisor to the emperor, but the aggressive red/black color scheme marks him as a villain and traitor (kinda like Aladdin's Jafar). Given the Qing Dynasty time frame, he's highly likely to be secretly facilitating the opium trade ravaging the China at the time. I kept the lower body equipment plain and functional to show that he's constantly on the move outside the Forbidden Palace, trudging through opium dens and covering his tracks from spies. He's also prepared to fight off any would-be assailants and decapitate servants who fail to do their job. All this concealed under a handsome face and an extravagant robe. That being said, since both you and Gatsu question the lower body equipment choice, I'm gonna have to rethink the design.

CAS #3: Beijing (aka Peking) Opera costume. This one was fun to make since I could go all out. Strangely enough, the authentic costumes are even more ridiculous. I'll probably change the pants to either white or gold later though.

Lovely display on the China CaS, the first one looks really great, the chosen pieces were freaking well thought.

That being said, since both you and Gatsu question the lower body equipment choice, I'm gonna have to rethink the design.

I'm not :D
Sure you can eventually chose try give some color scheme continuity to the boots, maybe just with a lil detail like make red the little upper stripe, but is kinda secondary

My only doubt is about the figures: is a balanced and surely accurate placed composition, but a SC chara design "rule" is chose a single main figure (animal, or monster, ecc) that give some kind of direction and style to the character.
There you have a dragon, a tiger, a bird. Under that "rule" is kind of pointing in three different directions, wich left a confused sign.
If i was you i will try to chose one animal (watching the character i will probably use the crane) and enforce it with a decorative but not figurative sticker, probably that red-orange floreal sticker

But keep in mind is just my way to do, i'm a designer that when play with SC editor try to understand and "copy" SC kind of chara design (more the classic one than the new marketing one), like when a client commission me an illustration and i've to understand wat kind of "hand" i should use for it

Follow my way is absolutely not needed, if we don't care about it the CAS2 is a nice design as it is and don't need any "fix"
Is not less good than CAS1 (actually is even stronger and more original concept)

WHOAH! :D I wish I could do for you what you do for me but, sadly, I am just a lowly normal person with normal opinions XD Nevertheless!

I think all three of them carry the Chinese theme very well. You know I am crazy about bold colors and so all of these really appeal to me! It's commendable how you can carry so many colors in one design and still avoid diluting the concept. The detail is mind- boggling and I might have to take a course in CaS to understand it all XD

CaS 1: She gives off a sort of dancer vibe to me. A perky, cute girl with feminine mannerisms and tastes. The bow on her head is clearly the highlight and you've done a great job of complimenting it with the subdued colors of the rest of her ensemble! The bold red accenting is clever and keeps the design from being overpowered by her headgear while maintaining her female charms ;) I'm not a fan of the shoes but that is a personal gripe XD I feel that piece worked much better with CaS 3!

CaS 2: This one is simpler and less 'loud' as compared to your lovely Chinese lady. Lol, I didn't think emperor XD More along the lines of a wise grandmaster, sensei or a royal strategist. Either way, he looks like one of those men who drink a lot of tea :) I wouldn't be surprised if you said he's nobility of some sort because he definitely gives off that sophisticated, austere vibe. The mustache trick is very cool! I don't think I've seen that before. It looks very natural and unforced :) As has been mentioned, I think at least one of the animal stickers can go but isn't to say you can't use a simpler one in the background: a shape, perhaps? Or a simple but graceful design.

CaS 3: She is definitely the most ambitious of the three! I am unable to quite place her design characteristically but if I had to guess, I would imagine she is some form of ritualistic fighter or a minor deity. Or a young, pouting girl forced into a traditional costume by her traditional parents XD I'm really digging the layers and bump mapping on this one; all of that must have taken some very careful planning! She does incorporate a lot of colors but, like I said earlier, I don't think they dilute the design.

Do they have names, brucege? I feel terrible calling something so pretty 'Cas #1-3' T_T

@Gatsu: Yeah, ideally I'd stick with one animal, but since it's impossible to use three of the same animal in CaS, I settled with this. It's actually supposed to be a dove being hunted by both a dragon and a tiger. I also considered overlaying the dragon and tiger on a yin yang like they're in a battle or something, but it didn't look very good. I like the way the current setup fills up the space.

@KiraxSummers: Thanks! That's an awesome review! The character identities are actually in my response to Vil's critique.

1. Princess Pearl - Yep! A book-hating, kung fu-fighting princess!
2. The Grandmaster - First advisor and opium merchant on the side
3. Beijing (Peking) Opera performer - reference pic below
beijing-opera.jpg

Last edited:
Not gonna say much except they could fit in Ming Empire aka China of SC. I wouldn't mind putting them in my comics later on. After all, the protagonist(Disco Jim and friends) do head east to Ming Empire, west for a big event and east once more back to Japan. That's kind of what I'm thinking about.

Overall, I envy how well you made these oriental customs.

Here's some original creations from the land of my ancestors, China! I won't post any details, so let's see what you guys can figure out about these characters (in terms of personality or profession).

CHINA CAS #1
View attachment 35767
View attachment 35768
View attachment 35769

Notes: Hat = ribbon + flower + goddess feathers. Golden lion crests on shirt and skin. Quilt pattern on sleeves blocked off by square stickers. She plays with a sword and fights with a brush. Yep.
You just put all my CaS to shame and I am okay with admitting this because you have just gave me some crazy good ideas. I can't even express how awesome the hair is. Holy shit you have outdone yourself.

Back