A tale of souls and swords, eternally retold...

WOW, Vil, you've got range XD So close with this guy! The level of fanservice on this one is great, and I can tell you really tried to look at it from a female perspective :)

Thanks Kirax for the comments and your picks shows how much of a CAS / cartoon lover you are...
A hot guy, hum, let me see, i got this one at least :P
c57ryer7qhyw62vi4.jpg

Ok, for you, i'll try to do one quick sketch, it will be a challenge cuz i mostly draw menacing muscular ones...
But this guy is WAY hotter XD
You're right about the cartoon stuff, I never develop celebrity crushes, but I have cartoon crushes galore :P
Merry Christmas!

I have opened up a deviant art gallery where you can see my latest digital drawings, based on my pencils and inks, using latest version of KRITA.
Feel free to comment here or there...
Here is a sample and probably my most emotional work, a tribute to the countless victims (dead, wounded and relatives) of the terror attacks which struck my homeland and Belgium recently.
I called her Marihaine, for Marianne, the french maiden emblem, and Haine : hatred in French. The flower is a fleur-de-lis or lily flower, also a symbol of France.
Here is the link to my gallery : http://vilarcane.deviantart.com/gallery/

marihaine__tribute_to_terror_attacks_in_paris__by_vilarcane-d9w5jjz.jpg

Intriguing. Earned y'self a new watch on DA. :) I particularly liked the "Alienightmare" and "Three MouseCatArs" ones, but then I'm partial to fuzzy characters (if my avatar hasn't already given that away...)

Sad to see you're "retired" from CAS work. I've been through a number of old threads and loved the squid / mind-flayer characters you did in the "Animal Kingdom" thread. I pulled a lot of inspiration and techniques from that one (the thread, not those characters specifically), and would love to hear some of your thoughts on my work (and/or my girlfriend's), even if you're not making new ones yourself.

Thanks Kieve, those pieces are all part of the arbooks i published for friends & relatives.

Well, Animal Kingdom was an attempt at a spin-off thread, at a time where i reached the very top of my CAS technique, and the fact it rallied so many other CAS artists in its wake was a joy because i love this 8WY community.

Thanks for being sad (lol), but since you have been lurking here for quite some time i guess, you know how many CAS i have brought to life...it was cool, and every year for my kids birthdays, we arrange a kidz tournaments with the CAS they like best (like the mythology and gods one or the more goofy ones like Jerry or Marsupilami...
Yeah, I think my retirement is well-earned, but that doesn't mean the CAS don't live on, thankfully :)

If you are interested in more drawing related stuff, have a look there, just uploaded a lot of new stuff there :
https://www.youtube.com/user/vilarcane

Of course i'll have a look at your / GF's gallery, give me some time :)

wow.gif
That is... a lot of CAS.

. . . a LOT of CAS. Holy fluff.

And i still have them mind you, spread over cloud save and various USB sticks, and more importantly, still play with them once in a while.
Last time we did a couch tourney, my wife actually terrorized all the kids with an anthros OC of mine.
You know, this one...TORA !

cghgkrcn76ewpjpz1.jpg

cghgg4ev94hfn4x19.jpg

cgig0l6l4y3fqexhu.jpg

I think she (in both her outfits) perfectly relates to all the principles i reminded of in your thread...strong concept and execution, and some wow factor and whatnot :)
I added the second pic because i think the thumbnail art also adds to the concept and potentially the background story (some people are really good at that, i never really bothered a lot... i mean look at the expression of Tora behing bars...same goes for choice of weapon and color trail, voice etc.

And of course, tip for your GF, you know you can do the perfect bump-mapped cat nose with the moon sticker right, looks so much realistic than the cat make-up :)

Have fun !

So am I my friend, and SCV is not getting any younger :)
Thanks for the kind words...
I am actually amazed that there still new people posting new stuff around these parts...

About Tora, idk if you remember the fight one guy started about Tora meaning Tiger in japanese and hence my CAS wasn't true to its name, especially the variant with the leopard outfit.
i remember fondly Le Bello's answer to him with a silly BStory,i can't resist the copy/paste for the sake of nostalgia :

"IT'S CALLED TIGER BUT LOOKS LIKE A LEOPARD. THERE IS NO LOGIC!"

Sit down child, I'm about to teach you some logic.

In a hidden part of the world, the various cat clans wage secret guerilla wars against one another. They're not really cats you see, but they don't have television or toasters in their hidden lands, so they dress up as cats and hit each other. It's a culture thing, deal with it.

Anyway, one day the village chief summons a girl, a trained assassin and spy, and gives her a mission: To infiltrate the Leopard Clan and learn their secrets, steal there weapons, and also their food cos damn girl he a growing chief.

Gleefully accepting this quest, she dressed up like a Leopard and went off on her merry way, subsequently being captured and taken back to the mainlands by scientists who mistook her for a real creature. Now she's escaped and is on the hunt for freedom, her homeland, and some food because she, also, is a growing girl.

Ok so it wasn't that good, shut up."

I miss this guy :)

cghglrtxrxcb7h4cd.jpg

For the sake of Kieve, let me repost the answer to the question of Retrotator back then :

1. Retrotator1[10] Knight
    The face for Tora is amazing! How did you do it?

2. VILARCANE[14] Master
    Manga creature sticker in the background, tiger sticker upfront, pitch black eyes with orange eyeballs AND tiny per axis n rotated moon crescent sticker for the adorable tiger nose :)
I guess nobody noticed the tiger head medallion back then, except you i mean :)
Hope it helps our anthros lovers...:)

Last edited:
Yep, I remember coming across her before. :) Even gave the makeup a try, but I remember thinking it felt too... limited, and didn't really fit with the style we were aiming for. Supremely awesome work nonetheless, she's definitely one of my favorites in your collection. I tried the moon sticker out as well (on Mia I think, since her face wasn't taking the Chinese character the right way), just wasn't a fan of how it came out. I do agree with the thumbnail picture though, those can really help "sell" the character. Thanks for digging her back up!

Thanks for trying it out :)
The good thing with elaborate make-up builds is that you can layer stickers over a face paint / make-up and it just makes the possibilities endless, not to mention the ExEq you can use to add whiskers and stuff like on Tora.

Gee thx...Adam Jensen is the name and Deus Ex Mankind Divided the game...wait, this guy has more charisma than...ME ? lol

Back