Aeon General Discussion / Q&A

Ring

Lay still now
This is the thread for general gameplay discussion related to Aeon in Soul Calibur V. Anything Aeon-related that doesn't have its own thread should be discussed here. Gameplay related posts are preferred but any discussion is encouraged.

-Slade
(10-24-12)

dunno if anybody has been testing how most of lizzy's moves have been safety and frame wise but initially off the bat the BBB string could be quite useful. The first B is safe on block.. although i dont think its + though thru further testing we could see if it is or not. so although not as fast as his SC4 BB string you could definitely fish for hit confirms and get some nice damage. his 3B seems to be one of his best punishers although i've been trying to see what guaranteed combo would be the most efficient but still have yet to find anything better than 66K. 44BAA also connects but with lackluster damage.

I'm worried about BBB honestly. Second B has such a long delay afterwards, seems easy to JG.

3B is pretty great though. It pushes out and moves that technically can punish it mostly can't reach him.

Has anyone found anything wall combo wise with him? 3B, 66K dosen't splat, neither does 3B at point blank at a wall. So frustrating. ;_; 66K obviously does but I haven't broken 80 damage off the combo. CH 22A, 44BAA can potentially re-splat, which is okay i guess, but mostly isn't worth it.

Right now he's so low damage, only meter he can combo into his CE (I kind of like wasteing meter on 1B BE more anyways, lol), outside of some longer range pokes (6A is really, really nice) and a command grab Aeon feels.. really weak right now. (right now, operative words.)

The biggest nail in the coffin is his awful backdash. I get backdashes are nerfed across the board, but HOLY SHIT.

Wanting to know before I decide to post any combos. Can opponents DI moves during a combo?

Wanting to know before I decide to post any combos. Can opponents DI moves during a combo?

Yes. Use the aerial control function in training mode to test combos first. Aeon does have something that prevents aerial control (BT B+K) but other then that your wall-less combos will probably be pretty escapaeable if they are more then launcher > ender. If you found a multi-hit combo that beats most of the air control directions (IE, all but one, or something like that) then definitely post it up. Anything to help.

I just wanted to stop by and say that Aeon is tons of fun and nothing like what I thought he'd be. I never played BD, however I'm told that Aeon is alot of Kratos -and I like it.

Damn you, you magnificent scaley bastard. I wish I knew how to quit you.

I'm not sure if this goes here, but I figured I'd recap some of my tourney experience from last night at a local SC5 release tourney. I've been using Aeon and this board has given me lots of ideas on what to use and it mostly paid off, aside from my lack of matchup experience.

That all aside, I do believe firmly that Aeon is going to end up middle tier. His low mixup seems incredibly weak, but he makes up for that with the ability of having those fireballs for 50 meter. Several tricks I've posted about worked amazingly, such as after a knockdown using 44BAA, the AA attacks of that string tracked and Counter hit or did a Guard Break hit that still left me at advantage. Amazing move to use and abuse. Definitely worked well in Aeon's favor against fast attacking characters like Maxi and Natsu.

Against a Hilde player, I was able to go 15 - 1 or so. To give the player credit, this was also their first SC game they have played and practiced on. However, I am familiar with this player from our SSF4:AE games, so I know they have a great amount of potential for learning on the fly. That said, I believe Aeon seems to have a bit of a natural advantage against Hilde in terms of close combat. Spear B attacks are slow, if you see the start up of the pokes, you can easily 8B+K, if at proper range follow up with 44K and you're in her face.

Natsu I had trouble against. Her high low mix up is pretty good and she has a kick that hits medium that is simply amazing for ring out. We had to fight all of our 3 sets in a circle ring map, which I personally felt favored him incredibly. I don't feel Aeon works well in these kind of maps, but that could just be my lack of experience with Taki/Natsu. I was able to stop her pressure with simple attacks like 2A or 2K. I'm not at my console or I'd check the input, but the footstomp attack Aeon has also worked really well against Natsu's semi-stubby range. And of course, 4B smacks her in the face nicely.

My trouble primarily lied against an Ivy player. I typically have no beef against zoning characters, as I play Lambda in BB, but I could not find a solid way in on Ivy and to stay in on her. Again, this may be my general lack of experience against good Ivy players, but I felt Aeon had a natural disadvantage against Ivy. Things like 8B+K would still get hit from her forward whip attacks (sorry, I don't know Ivy's move set very well either just yet. Work in progress). Like I said about the Hilde match, except imagine Hilde's spear hitting 3 feet above where the spear is actually on the screen. That's about how Ivy worked. Side stepping her was a pain, but interrupting her with 2A and 2K was no problem. I simply could not get in on Ivy without losing a good portion of my health, ranging from 35 to 50% on average I would assume.

On an incredibly fun note, Ezio can easily outrange Ivy with crossbow attacks. Ivy literally has to side step diagonally the whole match unless she wants to take an arrow to the knee. Honestly, I'm heavily considering picking up Ezio just to counter any Ivy player.

I think I ended up placing 5th in this 19 man local tournament. I'll try to find the twitch.tv that we use to record and stream and post the series once they post last nights tournament. Assuming anyone wants to see that, of course.

44BB is mid high high, so they can just duck the 2nd 2 hits and punish you hard. I with it was at least Mhm. It does pick up off the ground though, which is nice.

Fireballs are kind of weak, most good players I've tried them on can step them on reaction even online(using 66B_44A blocked into fireball). Raw fireball with A+B~A+B+K is way to slow to even try. On wakeup all the opponent has to do is tech or sideroll and it misses and they can punish you after trying for a ground hit 66B into fireball. Only place they have some use is using 66B~fireball when you think the opponent is going to just lay there or try to stand guard, and even then, if they don't and ukemi, then you're screwed, unless you burn another bar to fireball~G. Pretty weak IMO, but I have caught some people sleeping with them.

He isn't terrible, he has some tools, but overall he isn't as strong as a lot of other characters. He can win with basics but most characters can do what he does, but easier, safer, and more damage. A lot of unsafe moves, damage is decent. Not a lot of good low pokes (I miss old 1A_11A), hell, not a lot of good pokes in general. If 1B$ did an AT on aerial opponents he'd be really good. Also wish he had full stun on either CH 3A or CH 66A. Not a lot of places to use meter efficiently either. I'd say he'll probably end up lower in the tiers unless something good is found out.

I've been getting a lot of use out of 4A. It's a pretty awesome move to whiff punish after you step something up close, and 51 damage meterless isn't bad. 3B pretty much for the same thing, it has better range but it's a little slower. 6B$ is a pretty awesome whiff punisher as well, but range is definitely an issue. I'd rather use 4A to hitconfirm into 6B$ but it's kind of unreliable outside of the wall.

A lot of AA, 2A, 3A, 22AB, 3B, 1B, 22B, 9B, 66K.

66A for step kill out far, AA_3A for up close.

A lot of 2A interrupt into WS mixup.

I'm liking 22K, I with that and 9K had the commands reversed. 1K gets some use too, mostly in oki and edge game stuff.

RO game is alright. 66B ROs over walls like whoa, 66K is good, 9K and 33K both RO pretty well. A+G and WS B for back RO. WS B goes over walls as well.

For meter I'm mostly using 6B$ punishes and occasionally 3B$. 3B$ on the wall when I can for good damage. Other than that I kind of save it for CE since it's basically a i13 punish. If I need damage I'll tack on a CE to a combo to add damage.

Staple combos are :
4A, 44BAA: 51 dmg
3B, 66K: 63 dmg
WS B_33B, BT B+K, 66A+B: 65_82 dmg
CH WS K_CH 22AB_33K, 44K: 49_61_71 dmg

Still messing with wall stuff, when I know I can I do wallsplat 3B$ into 44K. Otherwise I usually try to 44BAA or go for oki. I need to start using other wallsplats than 66K. 9K is pretty good for that, other than being a high.

What are you guys using after 44K AT? I've been using 1K_6K for stand guard and 2K_66K for lie and sideroll.

44BB is mid high high, so they can just duck the 2nd 2 hits and punish you hard. I with it was at least Mhm. It does pick up off the ground though, which is nice.

Fireballs are kind of weak, most good players I've tried them on can step them on reaction even online(using 66B_44A blocked into fireball). Raw fireball with A+B~A+B+K is way to slow to even try. On wakeup all the opponent has to do is tech or sideroll and it misses and they can punish you after trying for a ground hit 66B into fireball. Only place they have some use is using 66B~fireball when you think the opponent is going to just lay there or try to stand guard, and even then, if they don't and ukemi, then you're screwed, unless you burn another bar to fireball~G. Pretty weak IMO, but I have caught some people sleeping with them.

He isn't terrible, he has some tools, but overall he isn't as strong as a lot of other characters. He can win with basics but most characters can do what he does, but easier, safer, and more damage. A lot of unsafe moves, damage is decent. Not a lot of good low pokes (I miss old 1A_11A), hell, not a lot of good pokes in general. If 1B$ did an AT on aerial opponents he'd be really good. Also wish he had full stun on either CH 3A or CH 66A. Not a lot of places to use meter efficiently either. I'd say he'll probably end up lower in the tiers unless something good is found out.

I've been getting a lot of use out of 4A. It's a pretty awesome move to whiff punish after you step something up close, and 51 damage meterless isn't bad. 3B pretty much for the same thing, it has better range but it's a little slower. 6B$ is a pretty awesome whiff punisher as well, but range is definitely an issue. I'd rather use 4A to hitconfirm into 6B$ but it's kind of unreliable outside of the wall.

A lot of AA, 2A, 3A, 22AB, 3B, 1B, 22B, 9B, 66K.

66A for step kill out far, AA_3A for up close.

A lot of 2A interrupt into WS mixup.

I'm liking 22K, I with that and 9K had the commands reversed. 1K gets some use too, mostly in oki and edge game stuff.

RO game is alright. 66B ROs over walls like whoa, 66K is good, 9K and 33K both RO pretty well. A+G and WS B for back RO. WS B goes over walls as well.

For meter I'm mostly using 6B$ punishes and occasionally 3B$. 3B$ on the wall when I can for good damage. Other than that I kind of save it for CE since it's basically a i13 punish. If I need damage I'll tack on a CE to a combo to add damage.

Staple combos are :
4A, 44BAA: 51 dmg
3B, 66K: 63 dmg
WS B_33B, BT B+K, 66A+B: 65_82 dmg
CH WS K_CH 22AB_33K, 44K: 49_61_71 dmg

Still messing with wall stuff, when I know I can I do wallsplat 3B$ into 44K. Otherwise I usually try to 44BAA or go for oki. I need to start using other wallsplats than 66K. 9K is pretty good for that, other than being a high.

What are you guys using after 44K AT? I've been using 1K_6K for stand guard and 2K_66K for lie and sideroll.

I'm afraid Aeon will be ranked low in the end. Aeon is a great whiff punisher(3b, 66b, 33_99b) to deal a good amount of damage with oki game. Siegfried and Nightmare can do his job so much better. His normals are too slow to keep up constant pressure against the opponent, so he can't just rush down either. I'm trying to find that healthy medium for Aeon that makes him a bit of both a close range attacker(Patroklos, Pyrrha), and distance/whiff punisher(Nightmare, Siegfried).
I wish within his combos he would have a mixup between mids and lows like siegfried/nightmare to an extent.

Aeon seems like he's having problems. I disagree with the conclusions though. I think he should be focused on wrecking guard meter and going for a guard break. He melts guard pretty quickly.

a lot of his guard breaking moves are either slow, so someone that mashes will beat it all day(b+k, 44baa, etc). Or they're easily punishable when read(6b$, bbb, etc). So how do you get the opponent to get scared to react so you can abuse this? I'm just curious, because I've only been able to keep the opponent on edge sometimes. Others just like to mash because they seen me throw out something.

I was thinking the same thing about how he deals a lot of guard break.

Then I remembered Just guard. :(

But for argument's sake, guard break into by how many times a move takes to break guard.

Aeon Gaurd Break info:

6[K] - 6

BBB - 6

44BAA - 6 on the last (6th) rep, the 44B breaks guard

B+K - 7

FLY K - 8

66B - 9

33_99B - 9

66A+B - 9

7_8_9B+K - 9

22_88B - 10

11_33K - 10

4B+K~G

9B - 11

WS B - 11

4B+K - 11

66K - 13

22_88K - 13

44K - 13

BT B+K - 15

4K - 16
Not bad.

Brahma, don't forget 6K with no charge. Believe it or not, that think wrecks guard in 10-11 if I remember correctly, which is absurd for a mid hitting poke with that much range and speed.

I managed to find an Aeon unblockable. Against the wall 6[K] can be used to get in a free 6B.
Through in the brave edge with it and you got yourself some pretty decent free damage.
Unfortunately thanks to the extremely short range of 6B you have to be extremely close.
But I figured i'd let you guys know. Maybe you can find something else that will work afterwords. :sc5aon1:

I managed to find an Aeon unblockable. Against the wall 6[K] can be used to get in a free 6B.
Through in the brave edge with it and you got yourself some pretty decent free damage.
Unfortunately thanks to the extremely short range of 6B you have to be extremely close.
But I figured i'd let you guys know. Maybe you can find something else that will work afterwords. :sc5aon1:

I posted this in another thread...somewhere... But yeah, you can also get a free CE if you're close enough. Dunno how useful it is since you have to be kinda close to a wall and it's super linear. WR B_33B, BT B+K, 6[K] will force them to block it if they stand. Of course they could always just roll instead.

How do you guys generally like Aeon? Is he actually a viable option against other characters? I really like his fighting style so I try to practice with him, but I'm really finding it harder to succeed with him compared to other characters. It could mean that he is just harder to start up with if you're not a decent player already (which I'm not, I'm a scrub). I quess I just hope that with time and a lot of practice I can be considered a threat with him.

I like him, but he's most likely going to end up on the lower end of the tier list. Not enough tools and inconsistent damage.

Classic. This is just something that has always happened to me with fighting games. In every single FG I have played I have always liked and mained the lowest tier character :D

Oh well, why change now I quess ;)

Back