Aluminum Foil Hat Time! Conspiracy Theories?

One of the most interesting conspiracy theories for me was the one about the first moon landings being staged by NASA. I've seen a few documentaries about this and they all seemed pretty convincing.

oh gawd...not here to!!

My wife is a HUGE fanatic of UFO's/Paranormal stuff. It almost runs her life. She is a firm believer that aliens had a big influence on ancient civilazations. The aliens taught them to farm, irrogate and gave them the tools and knowledge to do so. As for me, Im a sceptic. Im not really a believer in ghosts, but some of this alien stuff is quite intriuging!! I could see where some of these scientists get the theories from, but thats all they are is just theories ATM. Some of what they explain could make sense. But I think there are other ways of explaining the exact same thing (Bible interpuritation...anyone anyone)

I dunno, Im the kind of guy that needs to see it with my own eyes first.

HRD

Lobo why you gotta troll me like that.

Who will own up to the secret gay-ification of America through the water supply.

If you need to see it with your own eyes first why are you talking about the bible? I know you havent seen God.

Had a feeling that might come up.

The bible is not ficticious, its a real book. What I meant by that was. You can give 50 people that book, and you will get 50 different interperatations of that exact same book. Hence why we have different religions. Im generalizing of course, but thats what I meant.

HRD

It kind of is fictitious in terms of the content inside, only because it is full of historical holes and errors. So I see what he's saying. You can't act like a scientist and say you like to see things first-hand but then make decisions based on assumptions like that. Unrelated, I read recently that about 90% of scientists are atheists. lolll

One of the most interesting conspiracy theories for me was the one about the first moon landings being staged by NASA. I've seen a few documentaries about this and they all seemed pretty convincing.

Just outta curiosity, why would NASA want to stage such a large event in the first place? Was it to do with the whole USA vs Russia 'Space Race' thing? 'cos if it was, how on earth (heh) did they manage to pull it off whilst fooling Russia, who were, to my (admittedly, kinda limited) knowledge, very close to getting to the Moon first anyway?

This topic has popped up in conversations with friends once or twice before, and whilst the whole "the flag is moving" thing is cute, surely that's all meaningless unless they had some sorta motive behind wanting to do something like this?

I think it had to do with the space race against Russia and also the money (they wanted to make sure the project will get funds). There were many interesting things they shown in conspiracy documentaries, not only the flag, but also the wires , multiple light sources in the analyzed pictures etc I think most of that had been debunked later but it still was fun to watch.

@Page: I'm not sure what buisiness those guys have with THE FINAL FRONTIER but better safe than sorry, I suppose? ._.

@KingAce: To my understanding, people can believe whatever they want - but, if you wanna be pedantic about it, yeah, if it's not proven it's not 'truth'. Also, from Dictionary.com: "a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle, or the like: mathematical truths."
Agaian, that's just how I see it. I may have no idea what the hell I'm talking about and not realise it.

edit:
@Ring: I'm not convinced though. Sure, they get money in return, but didn't it cost a hueg amount of money as well? Did it seriously end up being all that benificial?
(this in an honest question, not a feeble counter-argument. I'm sorta clueless when it comes to the Space Race)

Something may be true if not proven yet. Just means you're crazy for believing first, checking later, 'cause even if you're right you were just lucky to be right. There are so many possibilities and therefore 'playing the lottery' with faith doesn't make you special for guessing correctly.

@Ring: I'm not convinced though. Sure, they get money in return, but didn't it cost a hueg amount of money as well? Did it seriously end up being all that benificial?
(this in an honest question, not a feeble counter-argument. I'm sorta clueless when it comes to the Space Race)

I don't know much about it too. At that time the US was losing the space race against Russia, so it seems like they needed to succeed at this by any means possible. Also to gain public attention = financing through public funds. Later the missions were abandoned because the government cut the financing due to lack of public interest. Some people also claim that at that time moon landings were too expensive for countires in the middle of cold war so they had to fake it.

It's not like I believe in this theory anyway. There are many ridiculous theories going on. A few months ago I saw a documentary about a Titanic conspiracy. In short, there were two almost identical ships (Titanic and Olympic). The latter one got badly damaged in a collision with another boat but because of the court's order, who found that the smaller cruiser was free of blame, the White Star Line got no insurance money to pay for the repairs. Then they decided to switch the ship with Titanic, sink it, and get the insurance money for it. Supposedly, there was another empty ship sent to the site with 3500 blankets and wooly jumpers (which was more strange because it happened during the national coal strike) IIRC it was unable to get there in time because the "Titanic" was going too fast.

There seems to be a conspiracy for every famous event/tragedy.

That reminds me, I'd recommend browsing the JREF forum for skeptical discussion. James Randi is a famous skeptic and he started a community long ago for like-minded folks. The forum picks apart a lot of topics pretty nicely. Though many of them have kind of heard it all so everything is just lame to the members, lol.

Something may be true if not proven yet. Just means you're crazy for believing first, checking later, 'cause even if you're right you were just lucky to be right. There are so many possibilities and therefore 'playing the lottery' with faith doesn't make you special for guessing correctly.
Works both ways, both theists and atheists are simply running on faith.

Not believing something because there's no evidence for it is not a definition of faith you'll find in any dictionary.

Atheism is not e belief IN something, it is a disbelief of something. But that's a dumb subject that's been run into the ground.

Yeah, that's a misconception people have about atheism. Just because I'm confident that God isn't real (due to having to be skeptic about it) doesn't mean that I'm absolutely certain it can't be a possibility. If you're saying that confidence in itself is based on faith then I know what you mean, but that is irrelevant from the actual definition of the words. It's also impossible to make any sort of choice/decision without it being based on some assumption to begin with, so if you want to call every choice 'faith' then it's missing the point.

Back