Article: SoulCalibur 5 sales aren't as strong as SoulCalibur 4's

Not quite sure what OP wants us to discuss. But I´ll add my speculation about SCVs sales.

1.52 million copies sold for a game that did not have a proper development time is very impressive. And when you add DLC sales I cannot believe that Namco did not get huge profit from this game. I hope this leads to a sequel sometime.

I´ll however curse their souls if they decide to move Soul Calibur to handhelds again.

Old news, people like star wars a lot, etc

Please don't turn this into a SCIV vs SCV debate people.

Yes, please don't.

I just thought it was an interesting article, so I posted it. I do not think that the sales speak much to which version was the better game. There are many more factors outside of quality that contribute to the sales of a game.

My only thought upon seeing this, however, was how these numbers would potentially affect any considerations Namco may have for the creation of SC6. That's pure idle speculation however.

Ultimately, it's just a potentially interesting read for people who enjoy, and invest time in, the Soul Calibur series.

SCV is lacking on many ways, SCIV was a complete game but SCV has a better gameplay
people just doesn't know how to play soulcalibur properly and they get fustrated, it's just not like marvel vs capcom...

hopefully 1.5m are enough for a sequel, I would really enjoy a SC6

I posted something similar a while back. Can't understand why Namco keep mentioning SCV's sales figures. By the looks of it They aren't bad but they aren't as strong as the previous game. That had Vader and Yoda in it. Bare in mind some people probably bought two copies as well.

As suspected Star Wars > Assassin's Creed.

Except for in my mind. Screw Star Wars.

Considering the amount of promotion Tekken Tag 2 got over SCV though I would have thought TTT2 would have left it behind.

Considering the amount of promotion Tekken Tag 2 got over SCV though I would have thought TTT2 would have left it behind.

That's a good point. Granted, SCV had a 7 month lead over TTT2 in terms of release date, but considering that Tekken is Namco's flagship fighter, it's numbers are not necessarily putting SCV's to shame.

Could it possibly be that a LACK of quality guest characters would actually be the reason SC6 has not been started yet ?

Just something I'm mulling over

Could it possibly be that a LACK of quality guest characters would actually be the reason SC6 has not been started yet ?

Just something I'm mulling over

That's quite possible. If I've learned anything from the general make up of Global Colosseo, and the preponderance of "E1 only!" and "Custom Character only!" rooms in the player match area, is that a very large cross section of people who buy SC are very casual players. If that is truly the case, then it makes sense that Namco would need [if they were wise] to take time to sort out proper guest characters, since they constitute a huge draw for casual players.

As someone mentioned above, Stars Wars characters being more popular guests than an Assassin's Creed character could have been a major contributing factor to the discrepancy in sales numbers between SC IV and V.

whenever i go into a walmart or somesuch i look for SCV in the games section and oftentimes its not there. i think i remember SCIV being fairly ubiquitous in large retail outlets. is this because IV had darth vader on the cover?

its not a lack of guest characters. its the whole reboot factor that turned off a lot of people. a bunch of characters got the bench and were replaced with shittier versions. im pretty sure a lot of people didnt want to get the game for that reason. if the entire original cast was in scv i think this might of done better.

I blame soulcalibur 5's 8 way run setup. All the special movements needed to move toward and back from the screen makes the game more like 2d street fighter. I want to be able to run around like in soul calibur 1 and 2.

Also what set soul calibur apart was the ability to throw you weight while being juggled so you could move toward or back form the screen to prevent from being juggled...

getting juggled in the air is not fun. If that combo beats the player on the ground or on their feet then fine. but

getting juggled in the air is not fun

Also the reboot probably turned alot of fans off as well. Namco need to give the gamers the outline of how they make preparations for a soulcalibur game so we can fill it out for part 6

Doesn't seem like such bad numbers to me. But yes, Star Wars has too much of a cult following to not factor how much the popularity boosted the sales of Soul Calibur 4. Asscreed only has a small gamer following while Stare Bores has mass, decades of multimedia fandom.

The time jump and resulting losses/alteration are undoubtedly a source of decline but not enough to really matter.
Heck, I bought this only because I've played all of the Calibur games since SC on the Dreamcast - fan loyalty or whatever. I'm sure there are plenty of sales base don something similar - many of us are collectors.

Back