Asta Match-up List

I meant it just like that too. But you know what the problem is with 22B$? It's that kills step. Meaning if I want to JG it I have to sit there waiting for it and being obvious about my intentions.

I meant it just like that too. But you know what the problem is with 22B$? It's that kills step. Meaning if I want to JG it I have to sit there waiting for it and being obvious about my intentions.

And sitting still is an open invitation for grabs. lol

Besides, a good Astaroth player should try to only use it for whiff punishes or for critical, unsteppable guard break moments.

I like to use 22_88B/BE for it's auto step if my opponent is getting predictable with their verts. It works hilariously well against Raphael XD.

22_88B kills backdash. However, backdash is -20 now. 22_88B is i30, so you'd have to use it as an interrupt rather than a sort of punish. In fact, you can step 22_88B. Mixing up with stepping it or JGing it is a valid option. As for standing there, I JG 22_88B pretty consistently- and I do it on reaction. It's not so much me waiting there for a 22_88B. It's about me noting if the player is using 22B, and reacting to it.

Don't get me wrong- I believe 22B fits in the top 10 Astaroth moves. Just adapt once you see said player JGing.

And sitting still is an open invitation for grabs. lol

Besides, a good Astaroth player should try to only use it for whiff punishes or for critical, unsteppable guard break moments.

I was thinking in long range terms. Close range, I think 22_88B is too slow to use it as a primary mix up. I prefer 4B/grab mix up up close. 22AA is also a valid mix up for grabs- i16 with TS and decent range.

I believe a good Astaroth will use and abuse 22_88B if opponent isn't JGing it. Why not? Breaks incredibly fast- using this on wake up mid-long range is a very solid strat. However, to be safe, I usually use 22_88B in force block situations. Sacrificing some damage in some cases, for guard damage.

Thanks for the explanation.

Now can someone explain to me how to sidestep 22BE? Cause I can't do it. This shit tracks more than Mitsu's 4B.

Thanks for the explanation.

Now can someone explain to me how to sidestep 22BE? Cause I can't do it. This shit tracks more than Mitsu's 4B.
It's much like JGing/GIing it. You see the move, then step accordingly. Astaroth VS Astaroth, stepping 22_88B whilst punishing with 22_88B is, and using it's TS(Tech step), is definitely Anti.

I was thinking in long range terms. Close range, I think 22_88B is too slow to use it as a primary mix up. I prefer 4B/grab mix up up close. 22AA is also a valid mix up for grabs- i16 with TS and decent range.

I was talking about using 22B mid-range, especially after a knockdown. Condition your opponent to try to get him to GI or JG it. It works best if you even quick-step to make it appear like you're inputting 22B, but you instead do a command grab.

I completely agree on abusing it if your opponent doesn't JG or GI it, especially in tournament settings.

^This

This is excatly how you should inplement 22B or 22B BE in your gameplay. But if they JG or GI it....fine, one mistake. Asta has plenty of SAFE tools to utilize as an alternative method to oki game. just have to experiment and play with how your opponet anti-oki defense is before you really start breaking down your opponet.

One thing i have realized is that the longer you play against asta...the more frustrating you'll be. :D

So who are Astaroth's bad match-ups? Is there a general consensus on this? (I've just started playing him some -- just wondering.)

Imo the only bad matchups I see for astaroth are alpha and omega. Other than that he does pretty ok against everyone else, I think this is the strongest astaroth out of all the other sc games haha.

Anyone with a generic 2A and high damage TC options *can* be a problem though.

Pretty much this. I'm no godly Astaroth player so don't take me super seriously here but I'd say his worst match-ups are the Pyrrhas and Patsuka. Really anyone who can block punish you easily... There are characters other than the Greeks that can really give you shit but they're trying your patience more than anything. Without a consistent punisher fighting Astaroth boils down to whether they can break/avoid your grabs and win, or they don't/can't and you win hilariously. 50/50s all day, erryday.

Thanks for the responses, guys - that explained a lot. I have been getting mowed down by Pyrrha's, Oprah's, and Tira's in particular ever since I picked up the big guy. I never realized how often they actually TC'd shit - it's insane.

Who has the easiest time against these TC-heavy characters?

Thanks for the responses, guys - that explained a lot. I have been getting mowed down by Pyrrha's, Oprah's, and Tira's in particular ever since I picked up the big guy. I never realized how often they actually TC'd shit - it's insane.

Who has the easiest time against these TC-heavy characters?

Well, you can compensate that TC weakness.

4B is really bitchin', CH 3A+B, stuff like that... Astaroth has all the answers, you just need practice to learn how to respond to all the questions.

3A+B is really not worth it. agaisnt tira you get a 50% combo done to you if you guess wrong and when you guess right you only take maybe 30%

Back