CaS Challenge P3: Fairies!

Nice fairies people. The Toriyama one tho, ah so good and luzlworthy (positive note).
I just don't really see a Fairy when i look at Alvarie....Chobek's Fairy is nice as well, just think that the one leaf u placed was done pretty sloppy.

.Chobek's Fairy is nice as well, just think that the one leaf u placed was done pretty sloppy.
...Agreed.... I don't think she came off the way I planned. I wanted it to look natural and rustic... so it was kind of sloppy intentionally...but , I think it does seem sloppy. I wanted it to seem like she just grabbed items from her environment to dress everyday... like camouflage.
One thing that doesn't come across in the pics though. The leaves are rigid and non form fitting so when she breathes or move there is kind of a neat play between her fleshy jiggle and the leaf.Kind of a cute peek-a-boo. :)

@Gatsu: Grazie. Means a lot coming from you.
@Matty82: Just as awesome as the first time I saw it lol. Actually, your fairy was the impetus for this particular challenge. For me, this challenge served as practice in sticker usage and character design.

I imagine most of you are sick of making female CaS's, so next week's gonna be a dude with a full profile.

Oh ya, and before I forget. How do you make spoiler tags on posts? Been looking forever.

@Chobek
LOL Fleshy jiggle. Oh but if that was what u had in mind all along than that;s good lol.
I made a fairy as well and made her clothes (or lack there of) consist of leaves as well but it's supposed to look like clothes and i thought u had the same idea.

SOULCALIBUR_28.png
This here is Sundari, she's a moon fairy that got abducted from her home town and was about to be sold off at an auction of mythical creatures. But all of a sudden a bunch of pirates stormed in, kicking the asses of all the auctioners because their mermaid friend was being held there as well. Using this distraction, Sundari fled the place. This is how she looks like during the getaway.

Sorry for the lack of feedback. I got lots of stuff going on atm...can't wait for spring break.

@Pressy24: I appreciate the level of detail. You have an solid starting point. Next time, I recommend trying out super-sized patterns/stickers and using more accessories.

@Dokugan: I never knew the lowly autumn leaf could become such an elegant brassiere. Beautiful job. Your ragged prisoner interpretation of the fairy archetype is an interesting twist, but what I would really love to see is a fully recovered, well-groomed version of your fairy.

I like this thread idea, gives a way to focus creation on a particular theme. Doku's is my favorite so far, but I already praised it in his own thread.
I made 2 for this so far:

Soul Edge fairy:
Went with a kind of crazy deadly looking vibe here, and added as many eyeballs as possible.
Edge_Fairy1.png

Edge_Fairy2.png

Edge_Fairy3.png

Edge_Fairy4.png

Edge_Fairy5.png

Soul Calibur fairy:
Since there's no "full" Soul Calibur for Siegfried in this game, I gave him the locked version and extended that into the design, with lots of chains and whatnot. I started off trying to make them look crystal blue, but that put way too much blue into the character. This guy looks pretty awesome in combat.
Calibur_Fairy1.png

Calibur_Fairy2.png

Calibur_Fairy3.png

Calibur_Fairy4.png

Calibur_Fairy5.png

I'm stunned and somewhat flattered that this thread's still active lol.

@BlueDoug: I see you drew inspiration from DokuganRairyu's submission. The patterned wings look splendid. The snake skin texture and the ragged clothes match the character well.

@LordDraco3: Your soul edge fairy is interesting. I do like the work you did with the lower body accessories, but her design's a bit cluttered for my taste. Your soul calibur fairy is very well done. The snowflakes, shoulder guards, chains, and color scheme have a remarkable thematic consistency.

@LordDraco3: Your soul edge fairy is interesting. I do like the work you did with the lower body accessories, but her design's a bit cluttered for my taste. Your soul calibur fairy is very well done. The snowflakes, shoulder guards, chains, and color scheme have a remarkable thematic consistency.
Ahh, I was afraid it would be too much. I wanted kind of a "fairy of death" mixed with the idea of "warning coloration (aposematism)," which is why I made the wings and headdress so bright. I think it might be the dancer's top and arm parts, but I don't have any ideas on what to replace them with.

Thanks, I'm glad Soul Calibur worked out well. When I sent them at each other in VS I did like him more.

Some nice things going on here, I like how they don't all look like a sweet shop exploded. A pretty nice mix of pretty and not so pretty creatures (Draco your Soul Calibur fairy's face looks like Elijah Wood. It's kind of creepy.)

Anyway I had a look at what had been done and tried to mix it up a little bit. Here's Miranda:

SOULCALIBUR_3.png

Now I know, I know she's missing something. I just didn't like the way the Dragonfly/Butterfly Wings just sort of flopped around without doing much. Are wings mandatory for fairies? Who cares. Anyway I thought "what could make up for this fairy not having wings?"

SOULCALIBUR.png

Tree Arm. It made the most sense. Surely not all fairies are tree huggers. Surely there are some who-when the pixie dust hits the fan- are able to defend themselves properly? Anyway both this and her feet have the snakeskin pattern so it shines more than normal and looks a bit like bark. Magic bark. 'Cause she's a fairy. Fairies are magic. Magic things are shiny. Glad to see you're following me on that.

SOULCALIBUR_2.png

Closer view of her face and a peek at her hair ornament (which are definitely not feathers coloured red to make them look like leaves...honestly....). I went with orange and blue since they contrast nicely- desaturated them so as to give everything a nice earthy/ Autumny feel. The eyes were made really bright so they stand out more. For the fighting style...

Still1.jpg

Ofcourse it's Devil Jin's because regardless of whether or not wings are mandatory she has a giant enchanted tree on her arm. Smacking people around with that is incredibly satisfying. The wings and laser eyes are a bonus. If you're feeling REALLY artsy you could interpret the feathers which fly around as leaves.

Here's a shot of her in flight. It's a terrible picture mainly due to my capture equipment not being good enough. Also because Jin zips around like a mad man during his Critical Edge.

Still4-1.jpg

I actually enjoyed making this character more than I thought I would. The tree arm made it interesting for me. For those interested she is not evil. She understands that some things need a helping bark covered fis-erhm- hand on the way to their maker. She just thinks the circle of life moves a little bit too slowly sometimes. You know what they say, birches love leaves...

Have a good day!

@Fliptop: Very creative! I see you have more CaS experience than your forum rank would suggest lol. I particularly value thematic consistency, as I've noted in my above post, and the leaves, wooden textures, and autumnal color scheme mesh quite nicely. Perhaps the arm would look even better with an additional set of horns, so I'd recommend taking off the hip leaf for the accessory slot. I have a creation thematically similar to yours sitting on my hard drive, and once I post it, I hope you'll have a look.

Just finished my entry for this challenge, happy with the result but you’ll need to wait until tomorrow next week for me to photograph and upload it (X360 = no quick export, ugh). Until then, I’ll just say that I love the idea of thematic creative challenges, looks like a lot of fun. Very impressed with some of the out-of-the-box ideas (tree arm? inspired!).

@Brucege: Thanks for the feedback! Never trust forum ranks (shameless SCIV thread whoring). I had thought about the horns/branches before and if anything were to get swapped I agree it would be the hip leaf. I kept it because while fighting it gives a nice flash of colour every so often and I wasn't sure if putting too many horns/branches would seem a tad overkill or awkward looking. It's something I could revisit later, though. Infact I think I will.

@Gabedamien: After seeing your other stuff I'm looking forward to your creation!

Back