CaS is a Pal o' Mine

Pallomine

[08] Mercenary
I've been lurking around these threads for well over a year, and it was just a couple of days ago that I even made my first post. I've wanted to upload my stuff for a long time, but I never really got around to it. I even ported a bunch of my CaS to a portable save file and deleted, what, 3/4 of them? Yet, I still haven't started uploading my creations.

UNTIL NOW!
Anyways, yeah, creations. I'm gonna split up the first mega upload by originals -> recreations -> 3P edits.
Please, please, please! Give me criticism! If something doesn't jive well or if something jives the pants off of you, let me know. I want to improve.

- Original CaS -
This batch of creations were all personal ideas, straight from my brain.

Tanaka1.png
Tanaka2.png
Tanaka3.png
Marun1.png
Marun2.png
Joshiin1.png
Joshiin2.png

Last edited:
- Original Cont. -
Charnel1.png
Charnel2.png
Charnel3.png
Amato1.png
Amato2.png
Amato3.png

Amato was meant as a sort of counterpart to Joshiin. They look really good when they fight eachother.
Fakhriya1.png
Fakhriya2.png

Her name roughly translates to "Glorious" or "Glorious One" in Arabic.

Last edited:
- Original Cont. -
French Kiss1.png
French Kiss2.png
French Kiss3.png

Hon hon indeed, Mr. French Kiss was designed to participate in the military contest in the One-Shot Contest thread. By the way, eye stickers are awesome.
Kjorr1.png
Kjorr2.png

This guy has been through a lot; he was my first CaS on my new PS3. My original PS3 froze in storage, so I had to start completely over. I can't bear to throw him out, so I keep updating him even though the design isn't the best.
Juxtaposer1.png
Juxtaposer2.png

I named her as a nod to how she looks like she's trying to be Deathstroke, but isn't.

- Recreations -
I'm doing this section in the middle because it's underwhelming compared to the other two categories. I have more than these ones, but they are not really that interesting and thus did not get included. The two I considered throwing on here that just barely didn't make it were Ryu (I swear he's more than just a dumb leather vest) and Phoenix Wright, whose entire interesting design trait is his hair. Other than that, it's just the DLC suit. I probably won't upload any of the others unless someone requests them specifically in the request thread. Without further babble, here are the recreations.
Boss1.png
Boss2.png
NieR1.png
NieR2.png
Faith1.png
Faith2.png

- Recreations Cont. -
Dave1.png
Dave2.png
Jill1.png
Jill2.png
And a bonus...
Joker1.png

Okay, I fully realize the suit is garbage. His hair color is wonky as well. I mainly did this to stress that the eye sticker is FUCKING AWESOME and should be used more often.

- 3P Edits -
This is my personal favorite set. I'll post in character order.
ASTAROTH
Astaroth SCII-esque.png

My favorite edit of the guy and only one picture to show for it. Hm. Anyways, Big Nasty Asty had a 3P in SCII that looked awfully similar to this. I didn't pull up a reference at the time, but my memory of that outfit definitely inspired this. Looking back, I'm glad I didn't do a 1:1 recreation because to hell with that mohawk.
Astaroth Plague1.png
Astaroth Plague2.png
AMEEEEEEEEEEEERICA.png
AMERICA.png
Astaroth Lumber1.png
Astaroth Lumber2.png

Okay, so my facial hair is not this fantastic, my hair is no longer that long and I never wore glasses. These things aside, wild Pallomines can be found in their natural habitat looking like this.

Last edited:
Hum, i really like your joker, been done to death but really interesting head design with the ExEq smile, how hideously cool.
Your arabian CAS roster is very nice too, a creative use of the mouth piece, nice patterns etc.
Of course, i found the french kiss royal guard or equivalent very nicely done (what a 'stache Eustache !)

Area of improvement would be level of details, more striking concepts (your intention behind the CAS, what it should evoke rather than generic ones), and in some cases a more easily readable color palette.

There is not much to fault on all of your CAS though, they are very well done with nothing that puts me off (colors, proportions, clipping...ok, maybe you might tune the facial hair on lumby but it is just a matter of practice, believe me, you can do everything you want with those bloddy raccon and cat tails :P)

May i ask : are you male or female ?

Hum, i really like your joker, been done to death but really interesting head design with the ExEq smile, how hideously cool.
Your arabian CAS roster is very nice too, a creative use of the mouth piece, nice patterns etc.
Of course, i found the french kiss royal guard or equivalent very nicely done (what a 'stache Eustache !)

Area of improvement would be level of details, more striking concepts (your intention behind the CAS, what it should evoke rather than generic ones), and in some cases a more easily readable color palette.

There is not much to fault on all of your CAS though, they are very well done with nothing that puts me off (colors, proportions, clipping...ok, maybe you might tune the facial hair on lumby but it is just a matter of practice, believe me, you can do everything you want with those bloddy raccon and cat tails :P)

May i ask : are you male or female ?
Thanks for the feedback, it means a lot! I really love the Joker's character in most iterations, but the amount of chinese stickered smiles and Heath Ledgers I saw online made me start to lose my mind. I keep meaning to switch out the moon for a flattened ball or something, just to make the actual teeth section a little less dumb looking.

I can see what you mean by the level of detailing being kind of low (I'm not the greatest at ExEq, the fiddly bastards always elude me- especially those feathers of strength which you all love so much), but could you point out a specific example of the color palette not being readable? I know my TV and computer colors don't get along, but if it's a color scheme issue I can learn from I'd definitely like to know. I try to make all of my creations have some sort of coherent color scheme, but now that I've uploaded a handful of them I realize that quite a few of them are just accented neutrals <:U

Stuff me in an envelope and ship me overseas, for I am male.

@Francis - Yeah, he's camouflaged pretty well under all of that. His heart's actually exposed, but it blends in a bit with his collar.

@Pocky-Yoshi - Thank you! I try to avoid harsh clashing where I can. I see a lot of it on PSN and the CaS colors there tend to be a bit too intense most of the time. I feel like I undersaturate quite a bit in compensation, though.

Last edited:
- 3P Edits -
MITSURUGI
Mitsu Kendo1.png
Mitsu Kendo2.png

It's a bit plain, but it's my first and one of my favorite edits. I utilized a common color scheme found in many of his costumes over the years and applied it here to keep a uniform look that let you know who it was under the mask even though his face will never be visible thanks to the mummified undergarment, which gives him an intimidation factor in my opinion. I used the stickers on the bottom and top in a diagonal to carry the eye from the top to the bottom smoothly. There is a slight clipping issue around the waist, but it doesn't detract too hard from the whole experience. I still use this edit the most because of how good it looks in battle.
Mitsu Winged.png

Nothing special, I mainly just wanted an "ascended warrior" trope Mitsurugi and I liked what was already present in the Kendorugi costume. 9A+B looks kickass with this costume.
Mitsu Outlaw1.png
Mitsu Outlaw2.png

A DLC fest.

Last edited:
- 3P Edits -
NATSU
Natsu Ninja1.png
Natsu Ninja2.png
All of these colors looked a little more vibrant on my TV, yadda yadda ya. Let's hear it for the spy mask and the vagrant's kote, yeah?
Natsu Casual1.png
Natsu Casual2.png
Natsu Casual3.png

- 3P Edits -
PYRHHA and OMEGA
Pyrrha Good1.png
Pyrrha Good2.png

Probably my least favorite. It looks much better in a fight. There's a big ol' dove on the back of her jacket.
Pyrrha O.png

Designed as a sort of reimagining of Pyrrha's transformation into Omega, I designed the big O to have gone into a 'bad girl' phase, which is essentially just her being a punk hipster brat. Why? Who knows. Probably to get back at her Dad for not telling her that Sophitia died.
Pyrrha Red1.png
Pyrrha Red2.png
Pyrrha Red3.png

Phew, this one was a bit of a rollercoaster. I tried for a good hour or so to get a decent looking belt across her chest, but the only belt that looked good that didn't take up every sticker was the quiver, which clipped HEAVILY with the capelet. I eventually kicked the belt idea to the curb.
I don't think I will ever stop enjoying how convenient the layering is on the maid gloves. Also, I used a snakeskin pattern on the belt of the top and the hip item to create one massive belt, which looks surprisingly good.

You said you've been lurking for well over a year and it shows. Your fundamentals are solid; there isn't anything I can easily call you out on. These are all pretty good.

A few criticisms:
- I agree with what Vilarcane said above about detail. More detail would bring your game up a level. This includes making complex arrangements of color sections on a surface through the use of patterns and stickers. Be wary of huge swathes of flat color. They're not always bad, but there's often a better alternative. In my opinion, your best designs for this are Fakhriya (spy mask, stickers around the waist), Joker (excellent use of eye sticker), and Red Hood Pyrrha (pocket sticker border along breastplate, bump mapping on the shorts).

- Its great that you're controlling saturation levels on your colors, but your color palettes look kind of washed out. It's probably just the color difference between your TV and computer, though, but if you want, you could try throwing a few small spots of vibrant colors on your designs. Your best designs in this department are Fakhriya, Kendorugi, Casual Natsu, and Red Hood Pyrrha.

- I would like to see even more special equipment experimentation. You've been doing this already, mostly with hair and facial hair, but I would have liked to see you build new equipment more often with it. Charnel's skull helmet and Juxtaposer's turtle shell shoulder armor are pretty good examples of what I mean. Plague's crest almost works, too, but I would personally look for a way to make the entire arrangement more cohesive.

Other remarks:
- Fakhriya and Red Hood Pyrrha are my favorites

- Joshiin's sticker armor is quite impressive. Well done!

- How did you do Tanaka's belt? Is that part of the shorts colored separately from the rest?

Overall, this is a great initial offering. I look forward to seeing more of your work soon.

You said you've been lurking for well over a year and it shows. Your fundamentals are solid; there isn't anything I can easily call you out on. These are all pretty good.

A few criticisms:
- I agree with what Vilarcane said above about detail. More detail would bring your game up a level. This includes making complex arrangements of color sections on a surface through the use of patterns and stickers. Be wary of huge swathes of flat color. They're not always bad, but there's often a better alternative. In my opinion, your best designs for this are Fakhriya (spy mask, stickers around the waist), Joker (excellent use of eye sticker), and Red Hood Pyrrha (pocket sticker border along breastplate, bump mapping on the shorts).

- Its great that you're controlling saturation levels on your colors, but your color palettes look kind of washed out. It's probably just the color difference between your TV and computer, though, but if you want, you could try throwing a few small spots of vibrant colors on your designs. Your best designs in this department are Fakhriya, Kendorugi, Casual Natsu, and Red Hood Pyrrha.

- I would like to see even more special equipment experimentation. You've been doing this already, mostly with hair and facial hair, but I would have liked to see you build new equipment more often with it. Charnel's skull helmet and Juxtaposer's turtle shell shoulder armor are pretty good examples of what I mean. Plague's crest almost works, too, but I would personally look for a way to make the entire arrangement more cohesive.

Other remarks:
- Fakhriya and Red Hood Pyrrha are my favorites

- Joshiin's sticker armor is quite impressive. Well done!

- How did you do Tanaka's belt? Is that part of the shorts colored separately from the rest?

Overall, this is a great initial offering. I look forward to seeing more of your work soon.

First of all, thank you so much for writing all of this in the detail you did! I'm looking at most of my older designs now and I see specific improvements I could make based on all of this, so thank you.

- As far as the detail was concerned, I mostly wanted to avoid tons of design chaos everywhere. As Fakhriya and Red Hood were my last two creations (which, by the way, are also my favorites), I think I overcame that fear a bit. I'll incorporate more into future designs.

- SpecEq is very odd for me; I can't ever get the things to work with me, especially in the case of ears, tails, and the dAMN feathers of strength which I would abuse the hell out of if I could. I'll work on that specifically- Plaguestaroth is looking to have a major overhaul. I hate him so much, but the concept in my head sounded so good.

- Oh, you thought Joshiin was wearing armor? I guess I can see it now, but my original intention was honestly based around his original concept being an android, which obviously did not play out. I still wanted those patterns though, so I figured I'd make them into odd skin grafts, similar to Raiden's human body at the end of MGS4. I'll experiment with that being leather armor and see where it takes me.

-Yeah, her belt was its own part of the shorts. It was intended to be a waistband in the original item though. The openings at the bottom were stickered to more closely resemble jean shorts, however.

@Francis - Yeah, I like her! I think you could maybe match the whites of the fabrics better and use some clever sticker shenanigans to make the two pieces join, but her design is pleasant.

Back