CaS is a Pal o' Mine

Welcome to 8WR, @Pallomine! I'm BruceGe, your local CaS Mod. Here are some of my thoughts:
Tanaka: She been through some shit. Looks like a high school camper who met a bear in the woods. That X eye patch is pretty fashionable though, matching her ribbon and all, so she's clearly taking that physical trauma in stride. What's her story?

Marun: I like the realistic, subdued color scheme. She looks like something out of Fable, the game. Try using additional crescent moons or stickers like the golden phoenix sticker to increase the hairdo's asymmetry.

Joshiin: Superb. My first thought was creepy marionette. Android works too. Nice job tying the shoulder armor together with the chain. It's always good to merge separate pieces together using SpecEq/stickers for a unique look. You might be able to play up the android angle by throwing in a cogwheel on the belt. Maybe some random scrolls on the limbs. One of my favorites.

Charnel: Very cool. Nice job cutting out a shirt and skirt using the pocket stickers. Great color accents too. Skull motif, green/black color scheme, scary mask, and modern dress. Hmm... Perhaps a shady pharmaceutical company moved into a creepy swamp for illegal experimentation. And one of the female researchers discovered a way to combine modern tech with ancient swamp voodoo? Interesting that I actually used a nearly identical helmet build here: http://8wayrun.com/attachments/soulcalibur-png.27023/

Amato: Looks like he's channeling some Jago from Killer Instinct. I love how the zippers cross over his mouth, like he's hiding something. A magnificent, operatically-trained voice maybe? Maybe he works part time as a member of the three tenors. Hiding part of your face always amplifies the cool factor. Nice how the black phoenix sticker connects the shoulder pads. You might want to vertical flip that zipper sticker though. Looks a tad cartoony as it is. Also, I see you really like stripe patterns. An alternative to the stripe pattern is a minimized gradient pattern (Basic 1). It gives a nice bumpy, frilly look.

Fahkriya: Glorious indeed. I love the pink/turquoise color. Very snazzy. Great use of the tiger pattern on the pants for the wrinkled look too. I like how the little white shoe puffs add that bit of accent to the design. Really great how you extended the corset onto the skin and belt using bump mapping, and its nicely tied together using the ribbon thing too. You may want increase the "waist" body parameter to offset the width difference between belt and torso though. You might also try throwing on some SpecEq for the lulz. Like a flower on the belt or that bridal tiara on the mouth or something. I dunno. Also you might try Jun's scarf. The relative bareness of the top is charming in its own way, but you might she might profit from more clothing up top for balance. Overall, a highly authentic Middle Eastern dancer design. Looks alot like Matty's work, which you can see here: http://s73.photobucket.com/user/cammykillerbee/media/Soul Calibur My Original Characters/Alimah.jpg.html?sort=4&o=71. I like your design more though, since Matty's creation relies on place-by-view sticker techniques, which doesn't look good from the side.

French Kiss: Cool and comedic. An exceedingly rare phenomenon. Love that absurdly huge mustache. And great job making that ugly helmet look awesome. Nice touch, giving him abs and pecs with the eye sticker. Very funny, very French, and very clever. A win in my books.

Kjorr: Is he Swedish? Definitely Nordic. The gear is kinda random? Maybe he's a steampunk cyborg? Insufficient visual cues. That cogwheel/shell shield is awesome though. Very Dark Souls. Cool how you roughed up the face with the patch sticker too. The palette's very brown, but that's to be expected for a rough-and-tumble barbarian. Judging from the face you chose for him though, he seems to be relatively benign. Maybe a bit disgruntled or disillusioned. He doesn't have a clear direction in his design, but he might pass for a barbarian in Fist of the North Star.

Juxtaposer: Hmm...valiant attempt at asymmetry. I see you tried to connect the turtle shell to the body using the black sticker, but it doesn't quite look as organic as one might hope. Character design-wise, she's intriguing. Really does look like a female Deathstroke. The body proportions just don't make the cut though; the greaves weigh down the whole design.

***Skipping your (excellent) recreations for now***

Astaroth SCII: The Asta-Undies kinda overwhelm the design. Still, I like the very even distribution of metal throughout the limbs and mid-section. The yellow circles on the head match the yellow heart nicely too. Good detailing. The head looks somewhat threadbare in comparison, so you might try bump mapping it a bit.

Plague: More stripe jumpsuits! I like this intimidating reaper-design. Green/black like Charnel. Interesting chest ornamentation. The horns are kinda cheesy, but in a good way, like something from Darksiders. He is all about death and stuff after all. Nice job merging the top and bottom with pocket stickers. That tiny border of black along the skirt hem is quite dashing, I dare say.

Murrica: Three stars? Well I'm sure we were just 3 colonies at some point in our history lol. Bottom half completely overwhelms the top. But hey, I get it. It's a troll character. Mighty fist of justice.

Lumberjack: Barebones modern look. The hat proly shouldn't match the shirt. Gnarly beard though. I respect that.

Kendorugi: Very nice. The simplicity is refreshing, really. Functional and authentic. Diagonal flow of the flower petals adds that spark to the design. I think it would look more natural on a female, but hey. Nothing wrong with a bit of flare now and then. The waist equipment disrupts the silhouette though. Perhaps look into slimmer options?

Angelrugi: The wings, halo, and glowing eyes combination is a bit much for me lol. Still bottom-heavy, like Kendorugi.

Outlaw: Interesting ridged jacket design. I can't decide whether it's cool or tacky. It is certainly new though. The pants fit the whole western theme quite well. The bare chest and arms + cowboy theme make for a male stripper/Chippendale's kinda vibe, but in terms of Japanese VG art, it's perfectly normal.

Natsu Ninja: My favorite design from you so far. She looks exactly as a generic ninja-in-training should. Nothing more, nothing less. Just the right level of detail. No random spikes, feathers of strength, or calligraphy stickers here. Ragged-ass clothing/armor. Dojo yin-yang logo. Bandages from injuries. And a flask of moonshine to stave off the pain. Awesome how you strapped it to the leg using stickers. She doesn't need vibrant colors. This, my friend, is character design of the highest integrity. Keep the haute couture off the battlefield.

Natsu Modern: Great display of technique. Objectively speaking, it's very tastefully designed. Clever, how you bordered the calligraphy sticker with another of the same. IRL though, it's got strong weeaboo vibes. Still a solid creation.

GG Pyrrha: A noble effort at modern CaS, but I've never seen anyone tuck in a jacket like that. Hmm....

Emo Pyrrah: That hat just doesn't jive. Too flat, too large. Really hard to make that piece work though, so not your fault. The leather jacket and hobo gloves are very in-character though.

RRH Pyrrah: Nice little punk version of RRH. Pattern covered with sticker is a great way to add detail. Perhaps you could find a way to use those SpecEq? Maybe turn the tide against the wolf by arming her with a bow? Hair extensions with horns? Just some ideas to toss around.
I'd actually have to disagree with @VILARCANE and @ThePascuzzi over the matter of detail. If you compare the stuff here on this site to, say, Game of Thrones, you'd think we're all a bunch of ADD children with paintbrushes/chainsaws running amok. This is, however, anime VG art, where you're given certain liberties that'd make even the snootiest Parisian runways blush. Besides, everything is a compromise. It looks like you're already using most of your stickers anyways. And don't fear the blank surfaces. Batman certainly doesn't. When I see your CaS, I see MORTAL KOMBAT. Dark and gritty. Your colors serve their purpose faithfully. I do agree with the two of them about SpecEq usage though.

FYI Guide to Feathers of Strength.
1. Slide horizontal bar left until the plates open towards each other.
2. Slide rotate vert. to angle of choice.
3. Bend feathers to accommodate limbs/faces by adjusting rotate horz.
4. Adjust angle so that feathers are parallel.
5. Connect feathers using horizontal slider. Use width for fine tuning.
For mirror image (like opposite limb) all values equal, but rotate horizontal reversed (times -1).

I can't believe I just wrote all that shit. I do like disagreeing with people though. Anyways, truly incredible work. Keep it up!

Welcome to 8WR, @Pallomine! I'm BruceGe, your local CaS Mod. Here are some of my thoughts:
Tanaka: She been through some shit. Looks like a high school camper who met a bear in the woods. That X eye patch is pretty fashionable though, matching her ribbon and all, so she's clearly taking that physical trauma in stride. What's her story?

Marun: I like the realistic, subdued color scheme. She looks like something out of Fable, the game. Try using additional crescent moons or stickers like the golden phoenix sticker to increase the hairdo's asymmetry.

Joshiin: Superb. My first thought was creepy marionette. Android works too. Nice job tying the shoulder armor together with the chain. It's always good to merge separate pieces together using SpecEq/stickers for a unique look. You might be able to play up the android angle by throwing in a cogwheel on the belt. Maybe some random scrolls on the limbs. One of my favorites.

Charnel: Very cool. Nice job cutting out a shirt and skirt using the pocket stickers. Great color accents too. Skull motif, green/black color scheme, scary mask, and modern dress. Hmm... Perhaps a shady pharmaceutical company moved into a creepy swamp for illegal experimentation. And one of the female researchers discovered a way to combine modern tech with ancient swamp voodoo? Interesting that I actually used a nearly identical helmet build here: http://8wayrun.com/attachments/soulcalibur-png.27023/

Amato: Looks like he's channeling some Jago from Killer Instinct. I love how the zippers cross over his mouth, like he's hiding something. A magnificent, operatically-trained voice maybe? Maybe he works part time as a member of the three tenors. Hiding part of your face always amplifies the cool factor. Nice how the black phoenix sticker connects the shoulder pads. You might want to vertical flip that zipper sticker though. Looks a tad cartoony as it is. Also, I see you really like stripe patterns. An alternative to the stripe pattern is a minimized gradient pattern (Basic 1). It gives a nice bumpy, frilly look.

Fahkriya: Glorious indeed. I love the pink/turquoise color. Very snazzy. Great use of the tiger pattern on the pants for the wrinkled look too. I like how the little white shoe puffs add that bit of accent to the design. Really great how you extended the corset onto the skin and belt using bump mapping, and its nicely tied together using the ribbon thing too. You may want increase the "waist" body parameter to offset the width difference between belt and torso though. You might also try throwing on some SpecEq for the lulz. Like a flower on the belt or that bridal tiara on the mouth or something. I dunno. Also you might try Jun's scarf. The relative bareness of the top is charming in its own way, but you might she might profit from more clothing up top for balance. Overall, a highly authentic Middle Eastern dancer design. Looks alot like Matty's work, which you can see here: http://s73.photobucket.com/user/cammykillerbee/media/Soul Calibur My Original Characters/Alimah.jpg.html?sort=4&o=71. I like your design more though, since Matty's creation relies on place-by-view sticker techniques, which doesn't look good from the side.

French Kiss: Cool and comedic. An exceedingly rare phenomenon. Love that absurdly huge mustache. And great job making that ugly helmet look awesome. Nice touch, giving him abs and pecs with the eye sticker. Very funny, very French, and very clever. A win in my books.

Kjorr: Is he Swedish? Definitely Nordic. The gear is kinda random? Maybe he's a steampunk cyborg? Insufficient visual cues. That cogwheel/shell shield is awesome though. Very Dark Souls. Cool how you roughed up the face with the patch sticker too. The palette's very brown, but that's to be expected for a rough-and-tumble barbarian. Judging from the face you chose for him though, he seems to be relatively benign. Maybe a bit disgruntled or disillusioned. He doesn't have a clear direction in his design, but he might pass for a barbarian in Fist of the North Star.

Juxtaposer: Hmm...valiant attempt at asymmetry. I see you tried to connect the turtle shell to the body using the black sticker, but it doesn't quite look as organic as one might hope. Character design-wise, she's intriguing. Really does look like a female Deathstroke. The body proportions just don't make the cut though; the greaves weigh down the whole design.

***Skipping your (excellent) recreations for now***

Astaroth SCII: The Asta-Undies kinda overwhelm the design. Still, I like the very even distribution of metal throughout the limbs and mid-section. The yellow circles on the head match the yellow heart nicely too. Good detailing. The head looks somewhat threadbare in comparison, so you might try bump mapping it a bit.

Plague: More stripe jumpsuits! I like this intimidating reaper-design. Green/black like Charnel. Interesting chest ornamentation. The horns are kinda cheesy, but in a good way, like something from Darksiders. He is all about death and stuff after all. Nice job merging the top and bottom with pocket stickers. That tiny border of black along the skirt hem is quite dashing, I dare say.

Murrica: Three stars? Well I'm sure we were just 3 colonies at some point in our history lol. Bottom half completely overwhelms the top. But hey, I get it. It's a troll character. Mighty fist of justice.

Lumberjack: Barebones modern look. The hat proly shouldn't match the shirt. Gnarly beard though. I respect that.

Kendorugi: Very nice. The simplicity is refreshing, really. Functional and authentic. Diagonal flow of the flower petals adds that spark to the design. I think it would look more natural on a female, but hey. Nothing wrong with a bit of flare now and then. The waist equipment disrupts the silhouette though. Perhaps look into slimmer options?

Angelrugi: The wings, halo, and glowing eyes combination is a bit much for me lol. Still bottom-heavy, like Kendorugi.

Outlaw: Interesting ridged jacket design. I can't decide whether it's cool or tacky. It is certainly new though. The pants fit the whole western theme quite well. The bare chest and arms + cowboy theme make for a male stripper/Chippendale's kinda vibe, but in terms of Japanese VG art, it's perfectly normal.

Natsu Ninja: My favorite design from you so far. She looks exactly as a generic ninja-in-training should. Nothing more, nothing less. Just the right level of detail. No random spikes, feathers of strength, or calligraphy stickers here. Ragged-ass clothing/armor. Dojo yin-yang logo. Bandages from injuries. And a flask of moonshine to stave off the pain. Awesome how you strapped it to the leg using stickers. She doesn't need vibrant colors. This, my friend, is character design of the highest integrity. Keep the haute couture off the battlefield.

Natsu Modern: Great display of technique. Objectively speaking, it's very tastefully designed. Clever, how you bordered the calligraphy sticker with another of the same. IRL though, it's got strong weeaboo vibes. Still a solid creation.

GG Pyrrha: A noble effort at modern CaS, but I've never seen anyone tuck in a jacket like that. Hmm....

Emo Pyrrah: That hat just doesn't jive. Too flat, too large. Really hard to make that piece work though, so not your fault. The leather jacket and hobo gloves are very in-character though.

RRH Pyrrah: Nice little punk version of RRH. Pattern covered with sticker is a great way to add detail. Perhaps you could find a way to use those SpecEq? Maybe turn the tide against the wolf by arming her with a bow? Hair extensions with horns? Just some ideas to toss around.
I'd actually have to disagree with @VILARCANE and @ThePascuzzi over the matter of detail. If you compare the stuff here on this site to, say, Game of Thrones, you'd think we're all a bunch of ADD children with paintbrushes/chainsaws running amok. This is, however, anime VG art, where you're given certain liberties that'd make even the snootiest Parisian runways blush. Besides, everything is a compromise. It looks like you're already using most of your stickers anyways. And don't fear the blank surfaces. Batman certainly doesn't. When I see your CaS, I see MORTAL KOMBAT. Dark and gritty. Your colors serve their purpose faithfully. I do agree with the two of them about SpecEq usage though.

FYI Guide to Feathers of Strength.
1. Slide horizontal bar left until the plates open towards each other.
2. Slide rotate vert. to angle of choice.
3. Bend feathers to accommodate limbs/faces by adjusting rotate horz.
4. Adjust angle so that feathers are parallel.
5. Connect feathers using horizontal slider. Use width for fine tuning.
For mirror image (like opposite limb) all values equal, but rotate horizontal reversed (times -1).

I can't believe I just wrote all that shit. I do like disagreeing with people though. Anyways, truly incredible work. Keep it up!
Hey, it's nice to meet you! It's kind of funny getting a formal welcome after feeling like I've known you for a year, but it's a very welcome welcome and I welcome it warmly. I'm gonna go ahead and explain my thought process on EDIT: all of my CaS. (whoops)

Tanaka: Yeah, she had her fair share of wrecking and getting wrecked. Her origin began as a handful of stereotypes, based on the grim slice of life protagonist who takes off on their own. I imagined her leaving home after getting into the umpteenth fight at school, not wanting to hear yet another adult cajoling her for something she doesn't even think is a big deal. She's just been small-town hopping, meeting some people and fighting some others. I might make her a friend at some point, but it'll be a minute.

Marun: That's hilarious, Fable: TLC is my favorite game actually. I considered it a major inspiration when I first started, and I think it gave my my love of subdued colors. (Silent Hill is my favorite series, which is also very subdued.) I always wondered how you did your creations' hair- I never considered the phoenix. I'll try that asap.

Joshiin: Thank you! The chain actually went on about an hour before I uploaded him, so the placement is a bit off. I stopped considering him an android early into development, but I'll try these and see where they go. I might end up with a cool oriental steampunk kind of thing in the end.

Charnel: I'm surprised she seems to be well-liked: she was 100% trial and error. I honestly didn't put much thought into making her and I chose stickers that looked cool at the time. The only premeditated bit was the helmet, which was inspired by Alphonse Elric and Nightmare. I wanted a grim, powerful helmet that had the kind of personality those two evoked with theirs, and I think it kind of worked in the end.

Amato: I've never actually heard of Jago before, but I like his design a lot! Perhaps I should give KI a look sometime. The zipper thing was done specifically to evoke ideas of secrecy when looking at him, but I can't not see him as a fantastic singer now. That's a costume in the future for sure.

Fakhriya: Entirely a practice in color and seeing what shenanigans I can pull with a middle-eastern design without dipping my feet too far into the disney and/or gritty brown. I really want all of the DLC sets, but the two you just mentioned and the set with the boxer equipment are the only ones left that I REALLY want. When and if I get them, I'll try those.

French Kiss: Damn it, I knew I should've entered. That Spetsnaz was still better, but I felt Mr. Muah over here was too simple to enter in general. I do love him, though.

Kjorr: Yeah, he's a battle-weary Nord. I was on a Skyrim kick when I first made him, so he retained Skyrim-esque traits- he used to have a knock-off iron helmet. The cogweel in the middle honestly just went there to fill space and add a unique shape to that area, which is why I said his design isn't too great. Now that he's saved only, I might delete him and make a spiritual successor.

Juxtaposer: The imbalance on the bottom was intentional. I always associated large greaves and/or heavier visual weight on the lower half of characters to denote stability and durability, as if it were impossible to knock them over. I did this intentionally in Kendorugi and Astaroth's America outfit as well, but I can see how other people might just see an oddly imbalanced character. I'll tweak all three and see how it goes.

Astaroth SCII: Yeah, I would have just colored him green if I could but Namco seems to think slowly taking freedoms from 3 and 4 makes the system better. I'll try the mapping, but it might make the cover up with the apple in the middle of the pure ring a bit more noticeable ;a;

Plague: God, I hate this one. I'm glad someone likes it. Gives me a bit of motivation to improve it rather than straight deletion.

FUCK YEAH: Astaroth destroyed the other 10 colonies- the only reason there are 13 stripes on the flag is because the civilians bled on the damn thing. Seriously though, he's so fun online. I once had someone willingly back up against a wall because, and I quote, "how could [he] fight America?"

Lumber: Yeah, he's actually more troll-y than Iron Patriot up there. I'm not sure why I colored the hat red, because mine is brown. I'll adjust that if I don't end up just deleting it.

Kendorugi: I was worried you would call me out on the simplicity (which I, too, feel is a very key element of the design actually), so I'm relieved to see you enjoyed it as well. I'll experiment around with the belts, but I'm not sure what I could do there. I'll probably be surprised.

Angel: Yeah, he's a bit gimmicky. I might take away the angel theme and sticker him a nice half-open version of Kendo's top.

Outlaw: The vest was done with a zipper sticker and a two pocket stickers, I believe. I never noticed how much of a stripper he looked like in this one because I'm so used to him flashing his chest everywhere as is, so on behalf of all the dollar bills he's gonna make me in the future, thank you.

Natsu Ninja: Well, this one blindsided me. I always liked playing as her over any other 3p or creation of her because of how natural it looked in battle, but I didn't think it would catch any eyes on the way to 8WR! I'm mostly just glad you didn't get a black n' red derp vibe from it. I only threw in the red because it's her signature color- if she wore a naturally orange or yellow-green outfit, I'd have been so relieved.

GG Pyrrha: Yeah, I deleted her right after uploading her. I never liked it, really. I mainly just wanted a counterpart to Punky Brat Pyrrho, but I don't care now that I've got Red Hood Pyrrha.

Ebony Darkness Dimentia Raven Way: Yeah, I get that. I'm thinking about working in the cop cap, now that I have it.

Kill the Wolf: I was actually gonna delete her before I added the breastplate, which is when it all came together. I first tried the quiver, which clipped awfully with the cloak. I tried giving her a wrist mounted crossbow after that, but it felt too crowded when I saw her armed with a sword, a bow, and a shield at the same time. If it were a DJ style, I totally would have gone through with it though. Some longer bangs would actually rock on this, now that you mention it.

Dang, that was a lot of words right then. If this post were a spell in a jrpg, it would be a language barrier.

I'll try to keep a level amount of heavily details CaS and practical CaS to vary things up a bit, since both are fun to do. It's funny you should mention Mortal Kombat, considering that the designs of Scorpion and Sub-Zero have been inspirations to me on many levels, particularly on how to keep a solid theme over ten komplete design changes. Hell, there's even a Reptile coming right after this post. I'll work more with SpecEq, especially those feathers and raccoon tails.

All in all, thank you so much for taking to time to critique all that. It's very much appreciated and I guarantee that none of it will go to waste. Ideally, updates shouldn't come in sizes like this in the future.

Last edited:
A quick Reptile I made today. I was experimenting with how I could use SpecEq in more practical ways; mission... accomplished?
Reptile.png

The colors were so off it hurt when I uploaded it, so yes, some darkening and contrast upping took place here. Things I forgot to do include actually adjusting proportions and muscle tone, but you get the jist. I'm not entirely fond of the mask and he looks really stoned, but I suppose I made it work somewhat. The grimy color scheme was done to mirror a swamp. You can't see it here very well, but there is a snakeskin texture on the black bits that aren't his head. The top piece of his head design is a forehead protector made of snake horns (which fought me to hell and back, and were 100% a pain in the ass to manipulate. They still aren't really well situated, but they'll do for now. There's a cogweel in his belt to give it a punched/studded leather look.

Also, in hindsight, he's slightly TOO saturated now.

Last edited:
From what I can tell, you seem like an extremely creative person! My favorite creations of yours are probably Amato and French Kiss. Each idea seems really fresh and original, and I can't wait for more! I also adore your Dave Strider, and especially Kendorugi! I tried to make a costume like his once, but it spiraled into something completely different. You, however, hit the nail on the head. The costume really pinpoints that simplistic Kendo look without becoming boring. His angel variant was impressive as well. Quite menacing. Anyway, I look forward to getting along with you, Pallomine! Until next time.

Back