Cervantes Matchup: Discussion

BatousaiNori

[10] Knight
Discussions of any matchups should be posted here. Any questions about general matchups should also be posted here ~ TwiztidRaven

Yoshi:

3B (punish w/aB)
FC 3K (ws B)
DRG K

You might be able to get iGDR on both and there are other moves he has that are very unsafe but this is just off the top of my head w/very little sleep

On the matchup, same general advice as part 4. This IMO is a matchup Cervantes wins 6:4. When he is in your face, he will want to dickpunch you, so have 44B ready when he's getting a little too familiar up close. Whenever you see DRG stance, duck. It avoids the A high (which gives adv on block) and the low, which is hard to see on reaction. So if you duck, wait for the B mid and just get up when he flicks his sword. I'll post more later on this (and when over time I learn more about SC5 Yoshi)

Anyone have any tips for beating Astaroth with Cervantes?

In my experience, Astaroth is actually a pretty easy matchup for Cervantes. Just make sure that, no matter what, you are either very close or very far away. I think iGDR's range is just about as long as Astaroth's axe, so if you're at long range and see him wind up, punish him for his insolence with an iGDR. Otherwise, in close range you're faster and do more damage, so keep the pressure on him and he should fall pretty easy.

Astaroth is pretty linear, but what makes him dangerous is the game engine does not allow you, at all, to step throws. 6K, always punish w/aB. Understand Asta always wants to throw you, so make him use mids to get you to stop ducking. You want to throw him off his game. 44B is pretty ok this matchup too, it will stop (most, not all) JF throw attempts. 4(b) he has massive advantage on, so try to step 4 as much as you can. This is not something you want to block, as it guarantees him a free throw attempt.

Hope this helped

Random Information:

When you do iGDR x 3 Alpha Patroklos can punish you on Hit with CE!

So always go for 2A+B Ender when he has 100& Meter. Also gives a lot better wakeup...its becoming my staple combo...iGDR twice then 2A+B.

Random Information:

When you do iGDR x 3 Alpha Patroklos can punish you on Hit with CE!

So always go for 2A+B Ender when he has 100& Meter. Also gives a lot better wakeup...its becoming my staple combo...iGDR twice then 2A+B.
I tend to do iGDRx2 and 3B cause you recover a little faster

yoshis 234a is raping me, is steps verts, has long reach, and ducks everything that is safe enough and fast to react

Yoshimitsu:

General notes:
Yoshimitsu is a rough matchup if he plays correctly, most due to his speed, near spammable ways to avoid mixups (7/8/9K, 214A, and iMCF), and his punishment. Luckily you can play passive-aggressively and bait out his riskier options (wait, everything is risky vs sc5 pirate LOL) including iMCF (step, backdash) and 214A (preferably space out, but punishment is possible). Note that your 2A+B leaves him in FC for a FC 3K/4KB mixup. Make sure that stepping is your response to 4KB and not blocking as he can delay the B and mixup you up all over again if you block the K. If your Yomi is comparable to the Yoshimitsu players', this reverse mixup between ducking and stepping is in your favor. At least this will force Yoshimitsu to go with safer (and less damaging) mids that are difficult to step at disadvantage like WS B.

The key is to not be reckless against Yoshimitsu, as he can still dish out a lot of damage via counter hits and punishment. Know his stances - be able to react to DGF/SDGF mixups and be able to deal with MED mixups. I will write more about MED later.

Extremely Important random note: After Yoshi blocks 4B BE, his A+K will interrupt BT B+K and throws. You can do BT 2K, but as we all know it's trash in this game. So your best option is to immediately turn around and 3B or iGDR. Even turning around and doing iWS B+K will work. These will all punish his braindead reverse mixup response.

Punishment-This list is not comprehensive at all, but these are some common moves that Yoshi will use:

214A: WS K or iGDR (tight timing)
FC 3K: WS B
DGF K: WS B (any range), WS B+K (close range only)
DGF A (ducked): WS B+K

7/8/9K: aB (at tip range this will whiff, but these kicks are used to evade close range mixups anyway)
3B: aB or AA
6K: aB, 3A, or iGDR (perfect timing, if you're late then the 6KK will hit you)
66B/33B: aB
33B B+K: aB punishable whether he continues the string with A+B/4A+B or not

More to come, including how to deal with his stances (namely MED).

44B is pretty ok this matchup too

Astaroth is an asshole. I fought TWO Astaroth players during a session tonight and struggled with both of them, losing the sets. I'm sorry, but I completely disagree on 44B being ok in this matchup because he has a ton of nonsense such as 6B, 22B, 44A, and bullrush that will easily catch you out of it and hurt you badly. All moves that Astaroth players love to use.

I just need more experience and knowledge in the matchup, because I think Cervy can fuck his shit up.

The most crucial thing against Astaroth is to fuck with his risk/reward. Make sure you take 70-80 for every ducked throw and 85-100 for every stepped bullrush, and all of a sudden the big guy starts feeling limited.

I just need more experience and knowledge in the matchup, because I think Cervy can fuck his shit up.
Yeah, this part. 44B is good in this match. I'm only going to comment on matchups I'm very familiar w/, and this is one of them. 44B fucks w/his constant throw attempts. If Astas are using 6B against you, they aren't respecting your step. 22B, same thing.

44A, just have to deal w/it, that move is gold

Maxi is DEFINITELY annoying. He actually has range advantages on you in a couple of crucial ways in addition to the fact that nobody in the game can brawl with him up close. The standard rule against Maxi is that you cannot let him start running his shit on you and forcing you to guess into what he's doing, so backdashing out of his strings on block is absolutely crucial. Make him pay for everything you escape. Beyond that, I'm getting some dividends by spending my meter on GI. It stops his bullshit and grants you damn near half a bar unless he's willing to re-GI, in which case you can run some mind games and hopefully get him to spend bar needlessly...

Also, whore out aB. He doesn't seem to have great options for punishing it, and it'll stuff a lot of his more annoying faux traps.

Reactions: Egg
I can only agree at the aB part. He cant punish it unless you do it point blank. You can also interrupt every transition he has that way except for like 2 (44B and 22/88A into stuff).

His range is actually weak and easy to exploit. How you do that? Seismo is the answer :P
Pretty much 66A, 66B, 3B, seismo and aB are the only moves you need and he wont be able to get close to you if you use em right.

His options with good reach and not ass rewards are 33/99B which is a TC mid with awesome range and dmg on hit, but punishable by aB on block, 66A which is fast, covers nice ground and gives goood + on hit, but high, 6A which combos into RO AK in ch mostly used to catch backdashes and steps, but again interruptable by aB and lastly his 22/88A which does insane dmg in ch (good dmg in normal hit) good reach, uninterruptable by aB, but the followups are easily beaten by a step.

Other than that you only need to recognise the transitions up close and punish with aB. Also his fc 3AAA even though an awesome move it is pretty easy for me to punish when blocked even if he interrupts it earlier etc.

Back