Cervantes Q&A / General Discussion

I'm not sure what the best way to play him... He's too slow for rush downs, his pokes are meh at best, and his mix up game doesn't compare to Mitsu's. He seems like a good whiff punisher, though, but other than that, I'm clueless.

I'm not sure what the best way to play him... He's too slow for rush downs, his pokes are meh at best, and his mix up game doesn't compare to Mitsu's. He seems like a good whiff punisher, though, but other than that, I'm clueless.
1) Spacing, he excels at that.
2) His pokes are actually pretty great imo
3)No one has mix up game like Mitsu except maybe Viola and Yoshi. Cervy does however have the 1AB/3B (or 2A+B) mixup.

Isn't this already just as good (if not better) than Mitsu's?
I would have to say no imo. 2KB has much more reason to be feared than 1AB. It can RO, does much more damage, and leaves Mitsu in a state where he basically has a 50/50 chance of making your day even more awful.

But 1AB does have it's upsides compared to 2KB, no need for meter for the mix up, if the counter hit and JF are hit, it does more damage than 2KB.

In terms of style, Cervantes benefits from a slow game. You back off a lot, try to bait whiffs, and punish with aB where applicable. Run away like a little bitch until you score a knockdown, then act like a real brave man thanks to easymode wakeup (2A+B kills all rolls, forcing them to stand into grabs). It's pretty fantastic.

Rocktopus is #1 Cervantes.

Discuss.
Psh, i'm still getting better. I mean, I just learned how to cancel out all DC moves with his dash. Yes this is new Cervy tech that I've kept hidden.

Anyways, as humorous as it sounds, Hates has described Cervy pretty well.

I personally think Cervantes seems more like a jack of all trades type of character.

1: He can be used for a good rush down with 1 A B, 2 A+B, 3 K, AA and more. His aggressive game is not perfect, but it doesn't suck either. If you can read your opponent well enough you can overwhelm them with the moves he has available to him.

2: Hes also amazing at whiff punishing with the IGDR//4B BE and 3 B. He has a good amount of moves that were clearly meant to be used as pokes. When combined with spacing it can easily make the opponent whiff so that you can punish with 3x IGDR or aB (example: 3 3 B).

3: His defense, is his most obvious trait that players will notice. aB is amazing because its fast, and it can be used to punish a lot of moves without even JGing. He also has 44 B, and 88 K. Theres also his aGI's, which he can really take advantage of against moves like Nightmare's 3 A A. His aGI's is very useful because he can JG and aGI attacks like Pyrrha's B B.

With all of this combined, Cervantes can mix up these three different play styles in the middle of the round, and this is what he excels at. One moment Cervantes can be extremely aggressive, a few seconds later he can be overly defensive, and after a successful aGI, he could suddenly start back dashing and making you whiff.

Depends on what you wallsplat with. 66B on front turned opponents might not give much but a backthrow wallsplat is death.
He just doesn't seem to get the insane damage from wall splats that characters like Astaroth, Xiba and Natsu can get.

Except with wall-splats, because he doesn't get squat from those.

Thats not true. He can get a lot of damage off wall splats involving combos that utilize 3 B, B+K aGI, B2, 44 A, 1 B B, bK and his CE. Even instant BT B+K can do a lot of damage off a wall. The only problem is that they rely on execution which is why people who can't igdr easily would call his wall combos ass. Example: say you 3B them a bit far from a wall. You could do something like... 3 B -> CE (wall hit) -> igdr -> igdr -> b2 (wall hit) -> 6 B BE -> igdr -> igdr. I haven't checked the damage output, but it does a lot more than counter hit igdr x 3 and those do around 110 damage.

Thats not true. He can get a lot of damage off wall splats involving combos that utilize 3 B, B2, 44 A, 1 B B, bK and his CE. Even instant BT B+K can do a lot of damage off a wall. The only problem is that they rely on execution which is why people who can't igdr easily would call his wall combos ass. Example: say you 3B them a bit far from a wall. You could do something like... 3 B -> CE (wall hit) -> igdr -> igdr -> b2 (wall hit) -> 6 B BE -> igdr -> igdr. I haven't checked the damage output, but it does a lot more than counter hit igdr x 3 and those do around 110 damage.
The problem with me using iGDR's in a combo with walls is that I don't know how the game determines whether an airborne opponent is going to make it an instant Geo Da Ray or an instant Tornado Swell, because sometimes it puts you upward instead of forward. And trying to use B2 in a combo for a resplat is very dependent on angles which can be inconsistent.

The problem with me using iGDR's in a combo with walls is that I don't know how the game determines whether an airborne opponent is going to make it an instant Geo Da Ray or an instant Tornado Swell, because sometimes it puts you upward instead of forward. And trying to use B2 in a combo for a resplat is very dependent on angles which can be inconsistent.

I think I know what you mean, and that has a lot to do with the timing off the iGDR. And I won't argue with B2 and its dependency on angles, but even without using that in the combo, his wall damage can still do decent damage with something like 3 B (wall hit)-> 1 BB (wall hit)-> 6 B BE 2x igdr. Something like that is not insane like Astaroth but the damage Astaroth does off of walls is one of the things he is the strongest in. Cervantes could do as much damage as Astaroth in a wall combo but its a little dependent on the situation, which is really what makes wall combos interesting in this game.

I think I know what you mean, and that has a lot to do with the timing off the iGDR. And I won't argue with B2 and its dependency on angles, but even without using that in the combo, his wall damage can still do decent damage with something like 3 B (wall hit)-> 1 BB (wall hit)-> 6 B BE 2x igdr. Something like that is not insane like Astaroth but the damage Astaroth does off of walls is one of the things he is the strongest in. Cervantes could do as much damage as Astaroth in a wall combo but its a little dependent on the situation, which is really what makes wall combos interesting in this game.
Agreed on everything there. I have to remember to incorporate :1::B::B: into his wall game; I forget about that move's potential with walls.

Not sure if you know it, but after bA GI 44A+B is guaranteed if buffered correctly.

Usually most people go for 3B or iGDR, but 44A+B gives lot more damage, especially if you have a CE ready.

Just thought i let you guys know since you guys suck. Havent played since quite a while, dont remember if this was common knowledge or not.

Not sure if you know it, but after bA GI 44A+B is guaranteed if buffered correctly.

Usually most people go for 3B or iGDR, but 44A+B gives lot more damage, especially if you have a CE ready.

Just thought i let you guys know since you guys suck. Havent played since quite a while, dont remember if this was common knowledge or not.
never heard of it, wat?
but 44A+B is so slow, how can it connect after bA?

Back