Cervantes Worst Moves

Moldredd

[09] Warrior
Now that we pretty much covered his good moves I think we should as well cover his worst ones.

This may be common information to must of us but I believe there's always fresh bloods in search of wisdom. This thread will serve them into knowing what moves they should avoid at all cost. That way they can enrich their gameplay and become better at the game by discarding such defective moves.

I'll try to cover as most as I can. Also, keep in mind that some people may not agree with everything but that's good. That way we can stimulate our brains into a healthy discussion.

I'll start the list now and give you an in-depth of each one as giving my personal top 10 worst Cervantes moves.

DC B+K (Solar Flare) - I really consider Cervantes' DC game extremely weak in this game. We can't longer delay moves or do them sooner making his DC nothing but an extremely limited stance. Not mentioning that most followup in the exception of GDR are slow, visible and most important, way too risky.

Back in the days we could delay his moves to unimaginable heights, catching people of guard with random DC A UB's or GDR's. But no longer. I do understand that the same as Geo Da Ray, Solar Flare is one Cervantes signature moves but that's not enough to make it usable.

The move has no tracking at all and is very see-able. Against a good player is useless. Do it and expect to eat a launcher or Vertical Auto-GI's. This is probably not only Cervantes' most useless move out of DC but his entire movelist as well. Avoid at all cost!

Uses - None.

4A+B (Alpha 3's Shin Psycho Crusher) - To start this one, it simply looks badass. Makes you look pimping/gansta/swag/etc. when playing against beginners and makes you feel you are on another level of awesomeness. But in reality this is nothing but a suicidal move.

It's indeed one of the most obvious moves out there, the damage is weak compared to iGDR, startup is a little faster than SC4's but still slow as hell and lost it's BA properties, is extremely unsafe on block and very JG/GI/Stepped on reaction. Don't try this move even if your guts say otherwise. DON'T!

It may have its uses but it is definitely not meant for use in normal circumstances at all. I did, however, find a somewhat questionable way to use it. If carefully done while your back is kissing the ring's edge against a short ranged character it might just save you. This move tricks the game into believing you had just ring yourself out just to comeback from the pit (Camera changes). Also if they don't have any sort of vertical aGI or bar they have no option but to guard/just guard/step it, getting you out of the ring edge area. For the price of getting severely punished of course... If blocked, the move crossovers them in some cases. This solution is random and it may result in you RO'ing yourself out anyway (In some cases.).

Uses -Random RO avoidance madness, flashy victory katas.

WS A+B (Flying Dutchman) - This move was decent in the past. It was a series of uninterrupted machine thrusts with the possibility of becoming a BA if you mashed B 8 times while doing it before the last hit. It had nice damage and great speed. This time however, has been changed to become quite useless. It's damage is still good but, the big difference now is that is quite unsafe as last hit is easily step-able and you will eat a guaranteed launcher or a GI if they are feeling
modest.

The moves destroys guard pretty fast but since of the nature of the last hit. It's something I wouldn't recommend. Even if you manage to break their guard, you don't get much which is really a waste unless you are going for the kill of course. Need to check the meter gain of this move though. But don't think that would be enough either.

Uses - Guard burst for the kill.

WS A+B BE (Fata Morgana Aka Flying Dutchman on Steroids?) - Not really. This move shares all of it's lesser version's properties with the addition of another series of machine thrusts instead of a single last thrust, also these get BA properties. The sad bad is that the same as WS A+B the last hits are also easily stepped. Also these last hits NEVER break guard, only the first ones do. So no big damage if you burst them, just the remaining hits of the moves which should give you less than 65 which isn't worth it at all the meter. You spend a bar and all you get is a step-able move with a damage limit of 65?

This is what JF Flying Dutchman was in the past with the exception of being useless and unsafe.

Uses - Same as above and hate them so much.

22_88[ B ] (Dread Pressure) - A nostalgia move. This move's name was indeed meaningful in the past. It was simply scary. In SC2 it was fast and had 100% tracking, in SC3 it lost it's tracking but the hitboxes were so outrageous that stepping it was often tedious, all that without mentioning the endless 1A mixups and high damage the move had. Namco decided not to include it in SC4 (Which made me cry.) and now is back but as garbage. They should have just leave out of this game if they knew it was going to be bad. That way we should have gotten a new move instead (Maybe.).

The move is way slower than it's various counterparts, damage is weak as well, has no tracking at all and most important, it only has two stages of charging which means that you cant mix it up. Charge it a little more than expected and it's already too late.

Uses - Normal version is useful and has clean hit properties but UB is suicidal. Maybe useful during wakeup but I really doubt it.

22_88A BE (LOL where are my frames!?) - This move is simply a joke. Makes me wonder whom was the idea of such. Not much to cover here as it's quite simple. This move is -infinite frames after A on counter hit! They can do pretty much anything with you after taking the hit. It's a pity as the only thing that burst guard is the last BT B+K-like hit for a guaranteed CH 44A+B. Really a shame but move discarded.

Uses - Useful for when you want to waste bar...oh wait!

DC B (Geo Da Ray) - This move is probably the annoyance of every single Cervantes player. This is what we get when we miss the iGDR's execution and what get after it isn't even prettier. Granted, it has great damage and covers a large amount of space. But the fact that is quite unsafe and is the reason of so many self RO's is enough to be afraid of it. We simply hate you, GDR.

Uses - Possibly Post-GI when it comes out accidentally off iGDR. Still good in that sense...

DC A/DC K (The joke that unfortunately gets old.) - These move aren't useless, they have it uses but when you find someone that knows Cervantes very well. You will begin to question their usefulness at best. Both are quite slow and see-able once you get used to their animations. What makes this worse is the aforementioned Dread Charge Stance.

I would say on wakeup his DC game is decent but since we cant mess with DC's timing and the moves themselves have no good tracking at all I say it's quite useless. We cant mix it up, instead we have to guess what the opponent will do. Lastly, if they lack good reaction skill then they can easily option select it with ease once they know the exact details of the followups.

Just back in the days we could wait and see what they were going to do and do the best followup accordingly but now all that is gone. So that pretty much kills it imo.

Uses - Probably on wakeup at times in the hopes of landing it on a disoriented opponent.

WS B+K (Tornado Swell) - To clarify, this is an exception, this move is not completely bad. The only thing that puts it in the list is the fact that is the most unsafe move in the game. You throw it at random and say goodbye to a round. You need to be extremely cautions when using this kind of technology. Otherwise expect to lose a lot!

Uses - This is in my opinion the best High whiff punisher in the entire game. A single move that has clean hit properties capable of matching most high whiff combos in the game.

8A+B (Shoryuken!) - Recently it has been discovered that you can indeed iGDR out of it (I was proven wrong in the process.) so now the move has gotten a reason to be used apparently.

However, I still say it's bad and not necessary in his arsenal. This is why:

Has low damage comparing it with how unsafe it is, if you miss the iGDR on block you are screwed, even if you managed to pull the iGDR on block you will still get punished the damage is severely dampened after it hits so the iGDR followup deals weak damage after it and we simply have safer/better options for damage.

This move was simply good in the past. You could cancel it for BT B+K (Back in the SC2 days.), had great damage potential combined with iTS (Back in the SC3 days.) and I don't quite remember much of SC4 (I really hated that game.).

But this chapter is a whole different...

Uses - Has one decent damage wall combo but is somewhat inconsistent due to the camera angle/chances.

As for the top 10 worse moves:

10.) WS B+K (Also one of his best moves contrasted by how insanely unsafe it is.)
9.) 8A+B: 4B (Decent wall combo potential sadly surpassed by superior artillery.)
8.) DC A/DC K (Effective while it lasts.)
7.)22_88 [ B ] (Comebacks aren't always happy ones.)
6.) DC B (Oops.)
5.) WS A+B (Stepping is not allowed! Cheater!!)
4.) WS A+B BE (I'm worse than the above because I've wasted a bar!)
3.) DC B+K (Let me hit you, brah!)
2.) 4A+B (Psycho Crushaa!)
1.) 22_88A BE (An insult to us Cervantes players.)

What are your thoughts?

4A+B actually has some total invincibility in its early stages. There may yet be reasonable applications for it.

I am also not completely sold on the idea that DC is useless, but I'm not comfortable enough with the fundamentals of my game to really work on finding a way to make it useful.

Lastly, I nominate 11B. Slow, unsafe, mediocre damage, and doesn't track.

DC B+K (Solar Flare)
Uses - None.

That's not quite true. Its a bad move, no argument - but there IS a single use for it, and that would be to save you from ROing yourself when you attempt iGDR near an edge.

WS A+B (Flying Dutchman)
Uses - Guard burst for the kill.

Its a VERY useful TC. And since Cervy pretty much lost his TC game, its nice to have in some situations. WR B+K has a much better TC, but its -58. And the BE is better damage for a good TC move.

22_88A BE (LOL where are my frames!?)
Uses - Useful for when you want to waste bar...oh wait!

You're the second person I've heard say that this move is just bad. And, no offense, but you're the second person to be wrong. First, its scary since its +10 and the low is hard to see since its disguised with the BE flash.

Second, its a free round if it gets blocked. Since it guarantees a CE, that's a free RO or KO if it gets blocked - and if it can win you the round just by getting blocked, that right there is a move that is worth using at some point.

Pretty much, I see it like this: If you have the health lead along with the lead in rounds, one and a half bars of meter, your opponent is backed up to the edge, and if they can step/JG/interrupt it without fear of a reverse RO, why not go for it?

This isn't something you'd throw out there, of course, but there are times when you WOULD attempt it. This move is far from useless, in my opinion.

DC A/DC K (The joke that unfortunately gets old.)

Ehhh, DC A can guarantee you the round like 22aBE, but its a lot easier to react to. Still, under pressure and on wakeup, its kinda hard to see. I'd recommend using it once or twice, to test your opponent.

Everything mentioned i guess, while some moves in the list have their purpose in some specific situations. WS B+K e.g after Nights 3B on close range etc will beat all NSS options...WS A+B is an easy throwpunisher at the end of rounds etc. DC B still has its OLDSCHOOL wall setup, where you fly into the wall, turn around and normally hit :)

BUT 11B is just pure WTF. By far #1.

4A+B actually has some total invincibility in its early stages. There may yet be reasonable applications for it.

Probably. Maybe after a good read or against UB setups in the corner Ex. Ivy's 6A+B but I I find 9B+K more practical for that.

Lastly, I nominate 11B. Slow, unsafe, mediocre damage, and doesn't track.

Agreed.

That's not quite true. Its a bad move, no argument - but there IS a single use for it, and that would be to save you from ROing yourself when you attempt iGDR near an edge.

In a way is true, I won't argue with that but it's not enough to call it a legitimate use. Without mentioning you will still get severely punished for it. I tend to substitute iGDR for 4B BE during edges when I'm not feeling consistent. But again is quite reasonable indeed.

Its a VERY useful TC. And since Cervy pretty much lost his TC game, its nice to have in some situations. WR B+K has a much better TC, but its -58. And the BE is better damage for a good TC move.

Valid points.

You're the second person I've heard say that this move is just bad. And, no offense, but you're the second person to be wrong. First, its scary since its +10 and the low is hard to see since its disguised with the BE flash.

Second, its a free round if it gets blocked. Since it guarantees a CE, that's a free RO or KO if it gets blocked - and if it can win you the round just by getting blocked, that right there is a move that is worth using at some point.

Pretty much, I see it like this: If you have the health lead along with the lead in rounds, one and a half bars of meter, your opponent is backed up to the edge, and if they can step/JG/interrupt it without fear of a reverse RO, why not go for it?

This isn't something you'd throw out there, of course, but there are times when you WOULD attempt it. This move is far from useless, in my opinion.

None taken. :)

Let's see if this changes your mind:

1.) Go to training, pick Cervantes Vs. Cervantes.
2.) Record the move's input and assign it to the dummy.
3.) [Hard way] Let the A hit you even on CH and as soon he's about to do BT B+K, do a back throw. 65 dmg punish.
4.) [Medium Way] Let the A hit you even on CH and quickly sidestep to his right. Do a throw. Same.
5.) [Medium Way2] Same as above but this time do 3B, iGDR,iGDR. 91+ dmg punisher, 1 bar wasted.
6.) [The Easy Way] Same as above but simply stay there and aGI/GI him. 40+ dmg punisher, 1 bar wasted.

Granted, the A is hard to react to BUT it only deals 14 on NH and 16-18 on CH. That's not even enough to compete with what they can do to you!

The only way this move would result in being useful is if your opponent isn't used to Cervantes. Otherwise is very see-able and easy to punish on reaction. At least for me.

Ehhh, DC A can guarantee you the round like 22aBE, but its a lot easier to react to. Still, under pressure and on wakeup, its kinda hard to see. I'd recommend using it once or twice, to test your opponent.

It can hit from time to time as the mind can trick you at times. But if your opponent is well aware then expect a full whiff punisher. I personally love to WS B+K it.

DC B still has its OLDSCHOOL wall setup, where you fly into the wall, turn around and normally hit :)
By far #1.

Or even 3+ bounces from corner walls! <3

I think 4A+B might fit into much the same space as the A+B and B+K auto counters. That is, it's not something you throw out as part of standard pressure, but something you use when you've gotten inside your opponent's head. Normally, you'd just counter with A+B or B+K as appropriate, but since K's and unblockables get past those 4A+B might be appropriate there.

as for 22_88, all I'll say is that at my level (not a high one) I have some good luck with using it after I've trained my opponent to block. That moment's hesitation is all you need to land the UB since it's deceptively fast. Sure, if you just throw it out it's pretty steppable, but if you mix it in once or twice a match you might get some good use out of it.

4A+B:

VS. Nightmares 1A hold, you can do this move and it will beat all options including K cancel unless Nightmare is very close in your face. Then the K will hit you. But charging 1A in your face is risky to begin with.

WS B+K DOES NOT beat all options from NSS after blocking NM 3B at close range. Ive been able to dodge with bA correct timing and also you can backstep in NSS and it will evade.

WS K beats everything except bA but the whiff recovery is so long that you can still punish him with 3A :)

U can mix between WS B+K, WS K, WS B, and backdash after blocking NM 3B into NSS :)

WS B+K DOES NOT beat all options from NSS after blocking NM 3B at close range. Ive been able to dodge with bA correct timing and also you can backstep in NSS and it will evade.

WS K beats everything except bA but the whiff recovery is so long that you can still punish him with 3A :)

U can mix between WS B+K, WS K, WS B, and backdash after blocking NM 3B into NSS :)

Indeed backstep beats WS B+K, but bA is a but fishy. You need to delay it quite a bit, which leaves nightmare open for punishment himself. But you are right here....

Think I'm going to have to disagree on one small point here;

DC B+K (Solar Flare) - I really consider Cervantes' DC game extremely weak in this game. We can't longer delay moves or do them sooner making his DC nothing but an extremely limited stance. Not mentioning that most followup in the exception of GDR are slow, visible and most important, way too risky.

Back in the days we could delay his moves to unimaginable heights, catching people of guard with random DC A UB's or GDR's. But no longer. I do understand that the same as Geo Da Ray, Solar Flare is one Cervantes signature moves but that's not enough to make it usable.

The move has no tracking at all and is very see-able. Against a good player is useless. Do it and expect to eat a launcher or Vertical Auto-GI's. This is probably not only Cervantes' most useless move out of DC but his entire movelist as well. Avoid at all cost!

Uses - None.

I wish I had the replay, but I guess I'll just have to try explaining it.

Basically, I'm on an infinite stage and I'm in the lead. My opponent goes for CE (unfortunately I can't remember which either so we'll just say NM), as I go into DC. I see the CE and I... If I'm perfectly honest, panic. But I see myself disappear as the CE flash activates...

It was one of those moments, finally, a little of Cervantes as I remember him.

As for WS A+B, isn't another use for it getting the free damage off a CH 2A+B? Or is there another, better followup to that that I'm not aware of?

As for WS A+B, isn't another use for it getting the free damage off a CH 2A+B? Or is there another, better followup to that that I'm not aware of?
Just CE as far as I know. I don't know if you can shake the stick to get up in time to do B2 off of that move.

I don't like the WS A+B followup there because it's inconsistent at range.

Best damage is iGDR, aB, much like WS B. If I recognize the CH late, though, I just do a WS B. You're giving up fewer than 10 damage when compared to WS A+B, it's 100% consistent, and it allows for excellent wakeup pressure.

There are many moves you can do after ch 2A+B. WR AB, RCC b2, in fact many RCC moves including another 2A+B. You can also iGDR followed by aB if you feel up to it. I use 2A+B a lot to end wall combos in order to avoid camera issues.

Agree with a lot of this list but would also say that some moves have limited utility, sometimes very limited.
4A+B is next to useless, but there are one or two specific situations it's great for. For example, it avoids then punishes Xiba's 6BK BE every time. you can do it in reaction to the super flash and then iGDR him after the hit. Haven't tested it on the other K BE moves.

WR A+B is useless against someone that knows what to do about it, but is really quite nice against someone that doesn't. I'm of the opinion that unless I know someone is good and knows the matchup, they have to prove that they can deal with something first. It's a nice way to probe for weakness. You'd be surprised at how many people can't figure out stuff like WR A+B over a series of matches. Lets remember that for some crazy reason, Cervantes isn't exactly the most popular character so matchup knowledge is still somewhat exploitable for now.
But yeah, if the opponent knows what to do then it's useless. Also I never use the BE version - simply not worth the meter.

22A BE is too far though. It's so obviously interruptible... for the cost of a BE! I'm wondering whether there might be a couple of screwy setups where you only hit with the second part, but other than that the move is a joke.

DC has some utility. I use it rarely - it can be nice to stop combos mid flow and go for the DC. For example, 3B, iGDR, DC or iGDR, iGDR, DC. I prefer the second one, it's more confusing. I also like it as part of a mixup against the wall, particularly after a wallsplat so they can't ukemi. The key is to use it very sparingly though, DC does get figured out on the fly in my experience.
DC can lead to a lot of (expensive) damage since you can combo into CE,CE after any followup, including DC A on block or hit which is really nice.

But yeah, agree for the most part. I particularly dislike 22{B}. I'd like to hear the uses people have for normal 22B though.
Also would like to cast another vote for 11B. That move is trash! Why is it even there?

WS B+K DOES NOT beat all options from NSS after blocking NM 3B at close range.

2A does.

There are many moves you can do after ch 2A+B. WR AB, RCC b2, in fact many RCC moves including another 2A+B. You can also iGDR followed by aB if you feel up to it. I use 2A+B a lot to end wall combos in order to avoid camera issues.

Agreed. Without mentioning you can do resets after iGDR which makes it even better.

Agree with a lot of this list but would also say that some moves have limited utility, sometimes very limited.
4A+B is next to useless, but there are one or two specific situations it's great for. For example, it avoids then punishes Xiba's 6BK BE every time. you can do it in reaction to the super flash and then iGDR him after the hit. Haven't tested it on the other K BE moves.

If it works against the 6B variation then it is very likely it does for all the others as well. Too bad after the update (I believe.) Xiba's 6A_6B, K strings aren't no longer frame traps for Cervantes. A buffered 3A will beat both. Obviously, aB does too but it feels inconsistent at times. So I'll stick with 3A after it to avoid any sort of followup mixups.

Lets remember that for some crazy reason, Cervantes isn't exactly the most popular character so matchup knowledge is still somewhat exploitable for now.
Yeah, I agree Cervantes has never been aside SC2 perhaps.

But yeah, agree for the most part. I particularly dislike 22{B}. I'd like to hear the uses people have for normal 22B though.

Normal 22_88B is nice. Not great but neither bad. It has Clean Hit properties and the damage and speed are nice too. I think it's only use would be to kill verticals. For example, after a blocked 4B BE, I at times do it. If they went for BT B+K, I score, if they went for throws instead then I'm already waiting to break. Really nothing to lose as his BT setup itself is a 50/50 mindgame. So I'm doing a little of an option select to be a little more steady in the situation.

You'll have to excuse me, I guess I left out the bit where I explain exactly how you lot can benefit.

It's just the application of this move is the same as it's always been, having to enter DC makes it even more risky though. You need to bait and make them whiff, basically.

It will only work against moves with the highest recovery and you'll probably need to predict them and enter DC at the right moment for a successful execution.

For example, just earlier I played against a laggy NM. The games we had lagged out, but by the final match I was a little disgusted (as though we hadn't finished any matches he seemed to be getting the better of the couple of rounds we got) and I decided I was going to win this round using nothing but DC B+K.

I predicted this was possible as he had a habit of opening with his 3AA. I knew he would be out of range unless I stepped, so my instant action was to go into the move.

I guessed right, and it was quick enough to punish that spam anyway. I glanced at the spacing and went straight back into it, but unfortunately the game lagged out then. I don't think this move really has much application against a long range character like NM though, I haven't played this game or character enough to say much definite.

The point is with the movesets we have, learning how to apply and surprise your opponent is more important then ever, no move in this game even has any right to be utterly useless.

Replace WS B+K with 11B at least. You should hear the "omg damage" type reactions you get when you punish ducked throws with that. If you're unsure you can turn to WS B and either leave 30 damage on the table, or hit iGDR with tight timing, followed by aB with tight timing, CONSISTENTLY. Fuck that, if I duck a throw I wanna push two buttons for the same damage lol, call me lazy I guess.

22A EX should never work. Then again, Mitsu 1aB should never work either. If you get someone flustered, they may just sit there and block that shit. Risky, but against turtle players who are mindfucked with the new patch, I could see it working on someone one time. I'd never use it more than once against a good player, though. Keep in mind, we literally have people saying that movement is no longer in the game lol.

I probably wouldn't use that in an important match, but it's not in the same conversation as 4A+B lol. Really my only issue with the list is WS B+K shouldn't be there lol.

I might edit the list lol. And forget Cervy suffers a heart attack every time he misses it. Haha.

Back