DARK SOULS 2- Praise the sun

JetSetDizzy

[11] Champion
Up until yesterday, all we knew about Dark Souls 2 came from a spooky trailer and an empty website. Now, thanks to a special on IGN, we’ve been given a glimpse at some gameplay and a short interview with the director, both of which can be found here.
Destructoid also reported on a roundtable with some more officials at From Software regarding the game’s difficulty.
Some things to note:
There were no Estus Flasks used in the gameplay trailer, but the director says Estus will be in the game.
Bonfires are present, meaning the undead curse still has relevance.
The director talked a lot about the “emotion” of enemies, but he might be referring to new ways of reacting in battle, such as the armadillo guy jumping backwards when you were behind him. No more piss-easy backstabs.
There will be no “Easy Mode” in this game. All discussions about “accessibility” are being channeled towards reducing tedium, backtracking and making Covenants less nebulous.
The online is server based.
And about a hundred other things. Discuss!

I know that this is early footage and probably running on debug settings... but really like the way health and damage looks more... variable there.

Kinda hope there's a new leveling system in the game. And that there's some sort of weapon skill system in the game. Also, I love dual-wielding so if its truly viable in this game, I'm taking it!

as long as i can gravelord people, i'll be content with literally anything they put in this game!

Gravelord people? You mean putting the eye on the ground or using the sword? I found that covenant to be pretty fucking useless. Though I'm probably the only guy who actually liked using Great Swordlord dance.

IIRC, when you gravelord, you end up making enemies much stronger than they normally would be in order to get players to come into your realm. Then they have you kill you in order to reset the difficulty.

I believe, the idea was to entice players into coming into your realm through and camp the spawning points in certain areas to kill them in that matter.

exactly! i've never been the victim of a gravelord but i've seen videos showing how nasty them black phantom enemies can be!

I never had a problem with Gravelords honestly. I did have one dude put his little grave thingy down and I found it by accident, I invaded and killed him. Didn't even notice the difference with enemies honestly.

you'll know when/if you see them, they look like darkwraith invaders but in enemy mob form. here's a fantastic video where he got gravelorded (although it happens about half-way or so):

You don't want to get cursed by a Gravelord, especially if you are in your first run of the game. Later on in your Dark Souls experience it wouldn't be so bad, but the juiced up Black Phantom enemies do crazy damage and have very difficult spawns that screw everything up.

Fun fact: when people broke the street date on Dark Souls and played the game a few days early the game was infested with max-level Ornstein and Smough Black Phantom enemies that were everywhere and gave zero souls per kill. This was From Software's way of dealing with people who got the game too early.

Back