Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate

Full official trailer. Looks like Marie Rose and Eliot are getting their fan made costumes from this summer's costume contest.

Those particles, baby!

Man I am digging this. The fact they did a DOA 1 classic stage complete with minefield danger zone is amazing.

All this game needs now is Dragon Hills. Too good!

Hmmm some reports indicate that the trailer is PS3 footage and not next gen. Doesn't bother me, but I'm not going to bother with this game unless there's a substantial improvement on the net code.

It's coming to next gen whether the trailer was next gen or not. And if the trailer wasn't next gen, that's an even better sign.

I do hear you on the netcode though. People need to keep their voices raised on twitter about that.

Patch 1.07 is now out on PSN. Upgrades the game to version 1,09 and adds Nyotengu's data.

Nyotengu herself is available on XBL, but there is no patch yet.

FYI, patch 1.08 was a costume update on arcade and 1.09 was a balance bug fix. So we're now on even ground with arcade again.

As for the trailer, I meant that it didn't bother me whether there was new particle effects on PS3 or PS4. The only thing that concerns me on the new expansion is the net code.

Nyo-Tengu seems unsurprisingly pretty difficult to use to her full potential, with the exception of P+K being god tier.

Man, why can't Bayman's 11 frame jab do that?

I kept blocking after using p+k on block! realized no one will punish it and then I went in no holds...

Some issues/notes:
Overall striking range is surprisingly small for a character of her speed.
3K is easy to whiff
P+K is easy to whiff, but godly interrupt and punish
Combos are launch dependent and weight dependent, very tricky get the timing down.
Tons of useless gimmicks. 9PT crap. 1PP, 9K.
6K Guard Break is really good.
3P 14 frame launcher on counter hit and critical stun is pretty good.
6P+KP is interesting... not sure how to make this work.
Can't get her ground throws off.
Lows seem to suck outside of 2PP (+16 frames, but almost no good follow-ups?).
H+K is great... until everyone realizes its a mid-kick launcher.
30 games, 15 wins... surprisingly did better than I thought.

More impressions later

Last edited:
People don't punish online anyway. As an observation, NyoTengu doesn't seem to have much in the way of tracking moves. Namely, ones that aren't piss slow. Though I may be just missing something...

P+K is 11 frames, fast enough to beat sidesteps. Plus H+K, 4P, 2H+K (pitifully slow) and some linear strings that can be delayed into next week.

More impressions:

7KP is pretty good. Players will learn not to try and punish 7K because of the P follow up. So if anyone waits to see the P follow up, they're too late to try and get an advantage.
8PPP is launcher filler for a lot of combos.
PPK isn't bad for a jab string.
66P... not sure how to work this one yet. Has more range than 3K or P+K, but also much slower.
Generic launcher combo seems to be H+K,P+K, PK, T. Can add more from flying stance depending on launch height/weight.
Awkward timing. Have to weight until after hit to input P+K into flying, but immediately input strings after flying or they won't come out, but if inputting too fast some strings won't come out (PP).
214P Not sure what to think of this.
Encountered 5 tengu players, all of them played to gimmicks. One abused lows, another attempt to abuse 9PPP and its T, the third smashed strings, fourth abused 7PP, and the fifth... well I forgot. I beat nearly all of them. Stupid lag.

Last edited:
Encountered 5 tengu players, all of them played to gimmicks. One abused lows, another attempt to abuse 9PPP and its T, the third smashed strings, fourth abused 7PP, and the fifth... well I forgot. I beat nearly all of them. Stupid lag.

Did you honestly expect any better for a character with wings that just released?

Also, 9K tracks and is a frame faster than H+K. 4P seems really slow.

Tengu is traditionally a turtling character, with 7K being the primary shut out tool. If you're completely into timer griefing there are actually a lot of good ways to stall the match, especially with 4P+K dancing when the timer gets low.

Tengu is traditionally a turtling character, with 7K being the primary shut out tool. If you're completely into timer griefing there are actually a lot of good ways to stall the match, especially with 4P+K dancing when the timer gets low.

Turtly huh? Not quite sure how to play that style unless it's more like throw punishing... But I also noticed she has a few fakes and some actually good GBs.

Whiff punishing seems a bit tricky with her since some moves has some nasty start up time. If players start running away from me I throw out the 4P+K and punish them for being stupid. I really like her 3P launcher, 14 frames is so, so good.

Enough rambling from me for now. I'd like to learn more with her... She's actually pretty enjoyable to play compared to Marie Rose. Pity most of Nyotengu's costumes, suck, though.

A little explanation into the mindset. Turtling is remarkably easy and makes the spacing game even easier. Gives you great insight into a persons sense of urgency too. You get the life lead first from any action you can manage to do it from and you treat the timer like the secondary lifebar. If your opponent doesn't want it to run down and lose by default then they HAVE to come in and this lets you make observations about how fast they will do that. It's difficult to measure a mans faults in subtle things like movement when he is under no pressure, but if he is going to lose by default a sense of urgency kicks in and makes those bad habits much more visible to the active observer.

Your primary goal should never be to arc across the screen and deal major damage to someone who whiffed. Of course you do it when you can, but if thats all you're waiting for you end up losing most of the time. Your goal should be to bash them in the face when they try to rush into you. Do anything you can to frustrate the living hell out of your opponent for being unable to come in when they want to come in and they develop a sense of tunnel vision. When they become conditioned to getting hit in the face they will start to run in and block momentarily instead, hoping to gain advantage in this manner and get in that way. This is when you start buffering in an offensive hold when they start dashing towards you.

7K/7KP is/was an excellent tool for turtling in this manner. If someone rushes in 7K will bop them in the face, launch them, and allow for the followup which puts them back to the other side of the screen where they will have to start all over again. Because it has that followup, even if the first move is blocked it keeps your opponent relatively scared of responding too fast while the backflip slowly sends you in retreat away from many of their options. Of course she has other options now, which should definitely be explored.

By the time you get the timer down to around 10-20 seconds or so you can begin 4P+K Mexican standoffs to stall the match out. Even if they block or hold, it does not damage to you and is draining the ever precious milliseconds off the timer. But most importantly, they HAVE to come in which means that more often than not they won't be blocking.

Good stuff, I've done some of the strategies you've mentioned before with other characters, but it definitely feels like something to try with Nyotengu.

Gave it a shot. Not much luck, but did score a few key hits. 7k 7p worked well enough but I wished I landed the strategy more often.

This Chick is Awesome!
Love her!
Great Work TN!
Nyo-Tengu seems unsurprisingly pretty difficult to use to her full potential, with the exception of P+K being god tier.

Man, why can't Bayman's 11 frame jab do that?
lol
Yeah P+K is really Good.
But on the other hand she really needs it =)

Just stopping to announce that I'll be streaming an Ayane tutorial session this Sunday at 6pm PST. If anyone is interested in learning this character, this weekend will be a great to learn. Information can be found in this thread here.

Have a good day folks.

Back