Distant Worlds: an SCV Regular Cast Alternates Contest

ThePascuzzi

[13] Hero
Someday, I'd like to be able to travel the world. I'd like to see all the different locales I've only seen pictures of in my social studies textbooks. I'd especially like to meet a host of different people with different backgrounds and understand why they live the way they do. I'd like to see what answers they've found for life's problems, whether they make perfect practical sense or are totally fucking out-there and crazy. On top of that, I always wonder if I'd come to the same answers if I had grown up in their environment. For the meantime, here I am stuck at home in front of my computer. So, if I can't explore the world by getting out of my house, I'll do it right here.

The idea of this contest is to make a version of an SCV regular character that hails from a country other than the one listed in canon. For example, if the Alexandras were Japanese instead of Greek, what would Pyrrha look like? What would be the same about the way she dresses and what would change? Which aspects of her appearance are due to her environment and which are determined by something more personal? The entries to this contest should answer those questions as they apply to the entrant's chosen regular character.

Rules:
  • Create a CaS of an SCV regular character with a different country of origin than their canon one.
    • The color scheme must resemble that of any of the subject's official costumes throughout the Soul series. It does not need to be a 1:1 recreation, but the resemblance should be noticeable upon first glance.
  • Entries will be accepted through June 25 11:59 PM US PDT.
  • The voting period opens June 26 12:00 AM US PDT to July 3 11:59 PM US PDT.
  • Each entrant may enter up to three different designs.
  • Anyone who can post on the 8wayrun forums may vote for up to three different designs.
  • Votes are placed for entries rather than for entrants.
  • Two awards are available.
    • The winner(s) by popular vote will have accrued the most votes by the end of the voting period. In the case of a tie for first place, all entries involved will share the award.
    • The Judge's Choice will be awarded to the design that impresses the judge (ThePascuzzi) the most.
Guidelines:
  • I am looking for entries that conserve their subject's style and personality, despite their switch in origin.
  • Though it will not be part of the consideration for the Judge's Choice, this is a good opportunity to write parallel backgrounds for groups of characters (e.g. the Alexandra Siblings, Schwarzwind, etc.). This should be a lot of fun for those of us who actually read posts, rather than just skimming for pictures.
As mentioned above, entries will be accepted through June 25 11:59 PM PDT. Voting period starts immediately after that and closes July 3 11:59 PM US PDT. I may extend the entry period and postpone the voting period, depending on the rate of entries at the end of the entry period.

Finally, as an example of an acceptable entry that outlines how it meets the rules and guidelines, here's a quick-and-dirty repost of my Japanese Pyrrha. This will also be the first entry into the contest. It is eligible only for the popular vote award; it is ineligible for the Judge's Choice award.

Ra2sZ.jpg

- The color scheme matches Pyrrha's 1P: white, gold, light blue, and light brown. It is not a 1:1 match of the original's color scheme, but it comes close.
- Pyrrha's 1P skirt and aketon are simulated here by the sleeveless kimono and tiger lily pauldrons.
- Her leather torso armor and the leg parts of her boots are simulated here by the archery chestplate and tiger lily stockings, both colored brown.
- The waist tie and scarf are reminiscent of the ribbon that holds Pyrrha's leather chest armor together.
- The shield is colored black, which is different from her 1P shield, but the color and design of the shield here are meant to reflect the black lacquered armor used by samurai in medieval Japan.

To be laconic, this is simply a cool contest theme. A couple of questions as my head swims with concepts: first, I take that one's entries can be for multiple characters, yes (two alternate Siegfrieds and a Yoshimitsu, for example)? Also, is there a requirement for the time period that the these alternate interpretations hail from? Would a modern version of a character be valid, or do you want to keep things within the era of the games?

first, I take that one's entries can be for multiple characters, yes (two alternate Siegfrieds and a Yoshimitsu, for example)? Also, is there a requirement for the time period that the these alternate interpretations hail from?
In response to your first question, you may have mulitple entries of the same subject.

As for the second question, the Soul mythos is something of an anachronism soup anyway and I think we'll get a lot more interesting submissions if there is no limitation on time period. However, you're going to need an imagination if you want to explain a modern-day zweihander wielder, haha.

Pufff, I think I need like 50 slots more to make all those challenges LOL

Question, is obligatory to make a 3jp, can't you use normal CAS to do this challenge? I mean, for example if I want to do a Nightmare from other country is a bit difficult if I can't change the chest, the arm or give him a mask.

EDIT; anyway, here we go. Let's see if I did it right

plrsY.jpg

PcuaO.jpg

nTXLQ.jpg

When I think in western Mitsurugi I can only think in the veteran captian of the village watch guard. You know, that guy who teaches you how to fight in rpgs and usually have an heroic deah. I know this is not very original, but...is the first image it come to my mind.

lAW6F.jpg

SLuzQ.jpg

ApYEK.jpg

Japanese Lexia, instead of being raised on a castle she was raised on a shinto temple and was born blind. Probably that would make her chara a bit more disciplined and less spoiled.

g6JCY.jpg

QAu2f.jpg

7ptEx.jpg

If I never do Viola CAS is because (aside of not having the less idea of how to use her) it doesn't matter which items you put on her, which hair style you pick, absolutely everything looks gorgeous on her, she is always really hot. So its always difficult pick only one. I tried around 4 countries before getting to Greek Priest Viola. Aside from this one egyptian Viola was the one I liked more, but even if she was hot the pale skin someway didn't fit, so I choose this one.

I know going europe/japan for this challenge is easy mode, but...ey, they look cool. Warriors only need to look badass or hot if they are females (prove me wrong) and the most simple you keep the most easy is to reach that.

Adding to Link thread....
Thanks. I was going to ask that this be added, but you've gone and done it already.

You bring some good points and great designs in your post. Thanks for bringing them up.

First, it seems your color schemes for your Leixia and Viola are based on their 2Ps, but what about your Mitsurugi? Keep in mind that entries can take any color scheme from any of their outfits in the Soul series. Future entries might want to mention from which outfit they take their color scheme, as well, just so there's no mess and no question.

Also, I'm sorry, but I don't think I can allow "Original Character" CaS, not even just for NM entries. I realize this will make him a very unpopular subject, but the choice would be giving one subject too much potential or too little. In this case, the second choice is more preferable. Entrants may still choose to work with NM. All entries must be regular cast 3Ps.

Finally, since skin color is unmodifiable, I will not consider it when deciding on the Judge's Choice. That's right, I will not be racist. So, please, go nuts making "Siegfried: Defender of the Savannah" or "Leixia: Incan Princess."

Well, blue/golden and purple/silver are Lexia and Viola 1pj as well.

Mitsurugi, cape and belt cloth is blue/red and the trouser green, like the 1pj clothes

Interesting challenge. Not sure if I'll be able to enter given I'm really struggling for slots lately. I'd enter an existing creation or two but the color scheme rule is constricting.​
I look forward to see what people submit, Japanese Pyrrha looks good.​

Hoping this takes off to even further heights! Such a genius idea, truly I am envious I didn't think of it myself.

I'm seriously thinking about hooking my xbox to my PC monitor, that I might take screencaps and enter into all of these wonderful contests.

Not sure if I'll be able to enter...color scheme rule is constricting.​
Yeah, I know the color scheme rule is kind of a big restriction, but I'm hoping it'll keep the entries faithful to their subject and therefore on topic. Anyway, if you do come up with something you wouldn't mind spending a data slot on, this challenge will be here.

I'm seriously thinking about hooking my xbox to my PC monitor
I think it's high time you did something like that. I don't recall ever seeing any of your work outside of your matches with VILARCANE.

Forgot to say Viola indeed is hot. NeclordX, it's a sin to get Pocky Yoshi excited....expecially the way you dressed Viola.

Mitsurugi indeed looks badass and Leixia as Japanese is very interesting and nice.

YESYESYESYESYESYESYesyesyesyes yes yes...yes... So much YES! Love the idea of this Pascuzzi, especially the color scheme part, helps really link the original character and the new one together! Quick question, does modern america count for an origin to use? 'Cause it's against my normal philosophy; but I've been wanting an excuse to make a certain character with modern american clothes...

Whee!... Okay... First up:

Germanic Warrior Yoshimitsu (Yoshialifar, if you will :D )
YoshimitsuX (7).png
YoshimitsuX (8).png
YoshimitsuX (1).png
YoshimitsuX (5).png
YoshimitsuX (4).png
YoshimitsuX (6).png
YoshimitsuX (3).png
YoshimitsuX (2).png

It's pretty tough to make 3p's with Yoshimitsu, with no shirts or armwear, but this turned out okay. A germanic warrior complete with a shield (Turtle Shell and Cogwheel), I was gonna give him a spear (longbow arrow) or an axe (hero crest thing) but I decided that they weren't necesary. Based on his 1p, most colors are duller; any bright red armor became a gentle bonze. The symbol on his belt is known as "The Helm of Awe" (or Ægishjálmur) a symbol of protection amongst germanic neopaginsm.

Oriental Alpha Patroklos (I don't have much of a name...)
AlphaPatX (1).png
AlphaPatX (7).png
AlphaPatX (6).png
AlphaPatX (5).png
AlphaPatX (4).png
AlphaPatX (3).png

(He is blonde 'cause I like to think of this as being RAISED in a different country rather than being of that ethnicity)This was kind of expected, but I didn't want it to be like anyone else's. Orignally had Warrior's Kimono and Warrior's Breastplate, but I like the sleevless design better. Clearly based on his 1p, the Demonic Fauld and Tiger Lily Pauldrons represent the scales present on APat's jacket. The phoenix stickers represent his "rebirth" of sorts. The symbol on his back happens to LOOK like the symbol that means repent, but in all honesty I have no clue what it means.

Modern American Leixia! (or Lexi perhaps, I guess...)
LeixiaX (4).png
LeixiaX (5).png
LeixiaX (1).png
AlphaPatX (2).png
LeixiaX (2).png
LeixiaX (3).png

Haha! Leixia's personality would fit right into the US of A! Annoying teenage girl? (I know plenty -_-) But this is actually based on a cas my sister made a while ago, and I incorporated it with details and colors from Leixia's 1p.

I LOVE this contest!

Attachments

• AlphaPatX (8).png
    AlphaPatX (8).png
    812.5 KB · Views: 318
I think it's high time you did something like that. I don't recall ever seeing any of your work outside of your matches with VILARCANE.

I also entered 3 designs into the first Iron CaS challenge, but the pictures weren't spectacular quality.

If you've any idea on the cables and components I'll need, that'd be helpful. Though I am googling, there seems to be many options.

Wow, what a clever contest.
At first glance it looks like a looser form of Le_Bello's latest challenge (not restricted to Europe), but it's not. You are limited in the colors department and the character has to look believable (as in it is actually X not just a CAS with a similar face).

I tried a lot of characters to get some ideas and the only ones I got were simple and lame. But I will hopefully submit something.

Here's mine! I did an Indian Natsu and tried to keep with her 2P Purplish colors. Sorry about the pic
I love the upper part, but maybe you could work more on the lower part.

Y'know what? I dig the idea. Send me(or even better: someone with a PS3 so they can do HD screenshots) the formula via PM and let's get some decent quality shots of it.

That actually sounds good. Do you know anyone I can send to? Or are you willing to ?

Back