Do you think the story mode in SC5 is good? (spoilers)

Story mode. Good or bad?

• Good.

Votes: 29 31.5%
  • Bad.

Votes: 63 68.5%

• Total voters
I LIKED what happened to the Alexander family in SCV. It was bloody tragic, to the point everything had gone to shit for them. Sophitia was murdered by Tira, Pyrrha was kidnapped, Pat grew up mostly without family, Cass is missing/doesn't care/is broken from her sister's death.

I mean damn, at least Pat and Pyrrha get to go home together at the end.

Does the fact that the games got a concentrated story mean they plan on ending it or what? I bloody well hope not, especially considering we never got to find out what happened to a lot of the characters like Taki for example, or getting some more background on the new characters like Z.W.E.I. Overall I didn't really like the story because they left the majority of characters out, the least they could have done would be to put some character endings at the end of Arcade mode but hey, I'm sure theres like a billion threads about that very complaint so I'll just leave it :P

I LIKED what happened to the Alexander family in SCV. It was bloody tragic, to the point everything had gone to shit for them. Sophitia was murdered by Tira, Pyrrha was kidnapped, Pat grew up mostly without family, Cass is missing/doesn't care/is broken from her sister's death.

I mean damn, at least Pat and Pyrrha get to go home together at the end.
The problem is that the story only focused on them. A lot of the other characters were either cameos or just didn't appear in the story at all. And also, the websites still contained more information about Pat and Phyrra than the game itself provided.

I understand that Namco essentially held a gun to Project Soul's head and told them to release the game, but it feels like they sort of bet on the wrong horse. It would've probably taken less effort to have simply had Weapon Master Mode return, and slap some text before and after each fighter's arcade journey. While I like that they wanted to try for something bigger, they weren't given the appropriate resources to do that and still deliver a full SoulCalibur experience. Even just cut this one down to an hour or two, make it direct, and include the other stuff to flesh out the universe more.

I love this game, and I am happy with my Collector's Edition purchase. At the same time, I see a lot of wasted potential. If you introduce a lot of new fighters, giving them a healthy explanation sort of comes with the territory. Another solution would have been to only introduce fighters they planned on giving a lot of attention to within the story mode they gave us. Regardless, it's still a crime to leave out arcade endings. Even just 50-100 words at the conclusion of the sixth fight. As I've stated in another topic, a single developer could have easily implemented that much on his own in no time. Type it up, put a render or drawing in the background, and don't even worry about narration.

I liked and disliked it.

Likes were Simple: It's more real story than we ever got in a SC game before. It was focused and to the point, and what's more, it's truthful. The truth it tells is this: Not every character is pertinent to the plot of Soul Calibur. Only some are. The presentation was nice, the characters fit their stereotypes well enough (and lets not kid ourselves, that is all our SC characters are), and there was resolution.

Dislikes were Obvious: The truth hurts, and having no story mode at all and some other mode with story elements in it instead would probably have hurt people's... egoes... less. You gotta pretend for the kiddies.

Gameplay - Good
The whole - Bad
I like the idea of ​​changing the warriors in the game.
This is cool because it's not playing for so long only one character and you can test your skills in several different.
But the plot and some of the topics Unsolved annoys me. A lot. In my view, taking the entire Story mode for two characters, it was not needed because the veterans were ruthlessly pushed into the background, and that the threads must first be resolved before implementing the new.
The same nonsense was to replace only some of the veterans of new characters, and the rest of the abandonment of somewhere in. .. I will not say where. Like everyone, everyone.
Amen. (Sorry for bad Eng Again)

I liked and disliked it.

Likes were Simple: It's more real story than we ever got in a SC game before. It was focused and to the point, and what's more, it's truthful. The truth it tells is this: Not every character is pertinent to the plot of Soul Calibur. Only some are. The presentation was nice, the characters fit their stereotypes well enough (and lets not kid ourselves, that is all our SC characters are), and there was resolution.

Dislikes were Obvious: The truth hurts, and having no story mode at all and some other mode with story elements in it instead would probably have hurt people's... egoes... less. You gotta pretend for the kiddies.

My thoughts exactly.

Poor voice acting, pointless plot and shallow character development... "Show me your TRUE power" doesn't qualify as a plot twist. Then again, I don't play Soul Calibur because of the story. If I want story, I'll pop in a different game...

OPINION: For SC to make a good story, I'm of the opinion that there needs to be alot more attention to how characters react to each other, and the hero needs to be likable, and for God sake... Put some depth into the story. Seriously. Pat stabs a defenseless villager at the get-go. You really think i'm gonna sympathize with him after that? We've established that he's a deuchebag from the start. Am I supposed to like him? After Z.W.E.I. went dragon ball shit-story with "SHOW ME YOUR TRUE POWER", it was all but apparent there was no good to come of it. Next time, if there IS an desire to make a good "STORY MODE" (<=== for those with a short attention span, I'm referring to the story.) Hire someone who knows wtf they're doing. They have a SICK friggin music score because they hired a talented composer, they should hire a talented writer... talented is in italics, here...

OPINION: Regardless of how hard the story blows, I feel that story is irrelevant in fighting games... why? Most of your time isn't talking about plot, but in multi player trying to beat the snot out of each other, or practicing combos and tactics. Who cares about the monosyllabic, predictable and completely forgettable story line?

Poor voice acting, pointless plot and shallow character development... "Show me your TRUE power" doesn't qualify as a plot twist. Then again, I don't play Soul Calibur because of the story. If I want story, I'll pop in a different game...

OPINION: For SC to make a good story, I'm of the opinion that there needs to be alot more attention to how characters react to each other, and the hero needs to be likable, and for God sake... Put some depth into the story. Seriously. Pat stabs a defenseless villager at the get-go. You really think i'm gonna sympathize with him after that? We've established that he's a deuchebag from the start. Am I supposed to like him? After Z.W.E.I. went dragon ball shit-story with "SHOW ME YOUR TRUE POWER", it was all but apparent there was no good to come of it. Next time, if there IS an desire to make a good "STORY MODE" (<=== for those with a short attention span, I'm referring to the story.) Hire someone who knows wtf they're doing. They have a SICK friggin music score because they hired a talented composer, they should hire a talented writer... talented is in italics, here...

OPINION: Regardless of how hard the story blows, I feel that story is irrelevant in fighting games... why? Most of your time isn't talking about plot, but in multi player trying to beat the snot out of each other, or practicing combos and tactics. Who cares about the monosyllabic, predictable and completely forgettable story line?
well story i say is important for several reasons.
one, a lot of people, myself included, play games for the aesthetics as well as the competitive value. the setting, the characters, the plot, etc. it gives some reason to give a dam about the characters u play and establish personality and likeability in them.

two, gets casual players into the game cause causals are just as important as top tier comp players. causals become viewers and the next generation of comp players.

three, single player options and story give replay value to casuals and can serve as a nice diversion for comp players. i cant tell u how much time i spent on sc3 playing the story or doing the other little things they had in between training.

Imo the voice acting was amazing in most cases; especially Tira's.
Overall, the voice acting quality for V is the best in the series. I mean, seriously, look at the older games and try telling me they didn't at least improve.

Back