Do you think the story mode in SC5 is good? (spoilers)

Story mode. Good or bad?

• Good.

Votes: 29 31.5%
  • Bad.

Votes: 63 68.5%

• Total voters
Who is Crispin Freeman, and why should I care?
CGI roles
[edit] Video game roles

In those awful Dynasty Warriors games? That's an accomplishment? We ought to execute everyone who ever worked on those games.

Those games are actually pretty awesome. Challenging (yeah, contratry to popular belief, Dynasty Warriors on the highest difficulty is japanes... I mean, insane), based on an impressive story (actually, the Romance of the Three Kingdom book, which I read, is the second most read book in the whole world, right behind the Bible. And it's also way less boring, kind of like Homere's Illiade), flashy, fun as hell, old school.

We ought to bless everyone who ever worked on those games rather than on shitty shooters or occidental games bathing the player with self-satisfaction over a poor challenge and over the top seriousness while its plot, settings and characters yell nothing but idiocy.

Well, at this point, after playing BlazBlue and MK9 I've just been too spoiled with cohesive plots and entertaining character interaction.

Actually, would rather have individual endings then that story mode. Least character endings explain a little bit of what they've been doing, why they're doing it, what they're doing next.

Only thing I got from story mode was the following:

-Pat knows his mom is the world's hottest MILF.
-Pat can instantly excel at lia-jutsu in under a day after practicing Ottoman/Athenian/Alexendra/whatever sword style his mother uses.
-He wants to live with his sister for the rest of their lives.
-There will be a lot of incestual hentia involving Pat, Sophitia, and Pyrrha.
-Pyrrha is the most naive fighting game character I've ever seen in recent years.
-Maxi doesn't age.
-Maxi likes hanging around with people around half his age ...>.>

Really the story created questions for me...

The game as a whole is kind of sketchy to me, really. Can't even convince my self to say it's better then any past iteration in the series. At the same time, that earthquake really hit Namco hard and was surprised the game wasn't delayed. Happy I got it cuz I'll be over seas later this year but now that I played it think they should have took more time with it.

The ending made no sense. So they destroy the swords right? So wouldn't that mean everyone with a fragment would die? Or at least have their effects of soul edge wear off? And they used soul edge to destroy soul calibur so soul edge is still existing? And finally ZWEI a new comer already dies. They don't bring up Kilk "on fire" taki who has gone missing, what happens to Xiba, Setsuka, Talim, Cassandra, and who Viola is. And finally, what is with the raph looking nightmare?!?!
That is all.

It fuck up something awesome. They need to take notes from Blazblue when we are talking about story.

This, or the new Mortal Kombat. It had an excellent story mode, on par with adventure games. Not to mention arcade endings. To be fair though, WB has much deeper pockets, and they clearly had the approach of "throw money at it until it's awesome!"

Shame MK never has and never will have interesting character design. Least SC can succeed in giving us varied body types.

Hey, man! I understand where you're coming from and I totally respect that.

Honestly, this is all a matter of perception, and my perception is I just can't get into the storyline for SC. My main reason in feeling that way is that the story almost always feels like an after thought. There was never something that really got me invested and/or caring about these characters other than aesthetics being their appearance or play style. And it's like... some cheesy kung-fu movie, ya know? Anyways. Thank you for your thoughts! :)

So it's easy to put out a solid fighting game with block string infinites and an amazing story? Gotcha!

The problem with story modes in fighting games is that at some point there has to be a fighting game. The whole walled off one on one scenario just doesn't really lend itself to a smooth flowing narrative, hence it always ends up being the inevitable story-fight-story format.

MK is the best example so far but I still wouldn't call it good. It had a tendancy to switch out characters just as I was getting into them, forcing me to reach for the moves list every 2 or 3 matches.

If fighting games are so intent on aping the storytelling prowess of adventure games then why not take the one thing they do so well that would really benefit the genre? Tutorials.

Why not throw me into a story that has me learning essential system basics like CE, BE, GI and JI?

I don't understand to this day why fighting games refuse to fully explain to us its own systems. Instead, it offers us a bunch of uncontextualised non sequiturs buried in some menu somewhere that we're supposed to seek out and make sense of ourselves. SCV is better than most in this regard to be fair as it does contextualise a handful of "main moves" in training mode.

Apparently the upcoming Skullgirls aims to fix a lot of this. Here's hoping.

Back