[Edmonton, Alberta, Canada] - Super Special Awesome SCIV Community of DOOM!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
SRK crew at OverKlocked are good people. I've been hanging out with them for SF & MvC and they're all friendly people. Also, don't underestimate the value of having a defined meeting place at an established venue every week - it makes it far easier and less intimidating for new people to come out and join up. It's harder to get people to go to some random person's house rather than an established business.

But seriously, consider OK & Wednesday nights. There's lots of room, the atmosphere's good, and the people are great.

I've played SC since SC2, and SF since the end of 3S going into SF4. I've been to Vancouver and seen what weekly and regular gatherings can do for a community - and I've seen Edmonton's SC seen completely wither. So seriously, it's worth it to get out there and mingle. Don't count on people coming to you - you need to provide a welcoming place for them. The atmosphere has to be welcoming and the people have to be open to newcomers. If you're just a little clique of dudes who don't welcome new people, it's not going to attract new blood - new game or otherwise. You'll drive away the new people faster than you can draw them in.

Yes, SRK has some trolls, but that's what every community gets when they get big enough. A community's online forum is not indicative of what the people are like in real life, face to face.

That said ... how about getting a weekly/bi-weekly thing going, hmmm?

I wouldn't mind hosting an intial meet & greet sometime in the future, but regular weekly things should really be somewhere public and friendly - i.e. OK.

I'm all for meeting up on Wednesdays. This next week I have Wednesday off so I can come. The only problem is I need a ride over there from Spruce Grove. My father might be able to drive me there, but I need a ride back because my father will be at work. Same old vehicle shortage problem eh? lol

yea we need to find a solution for you. maybe somebody from the community who knows how to drive or somethin? idk lol. i really wish sometimes that buses ran to spruce.

SRK crew at OverKlocked are good people. I've been hanging out with them for SF & MvC and they're all friendly people. Also, don't underestimate the value of having a defined meeting place at an established venue every week - it makes it far easier and less intimidating for new people to come out and join up. It's harder to get people to go to some random person's house rather than an established business.

But seriously, consider OK & Wednesday nights. There's lots of room, the atmosphere's good, and the people are great.

I've played SC since SC2, and SF since the end of 3S going into SF4. I've been to Vancouver and seen what weekly and regular gatherings can do for a community - and I've seen Edmonton's SC seen completely wither. So seriously, it's worth it to get out there and mingle. Don't count on people coming to you - you need to provide a welcoming place for them. The atmosphere has to be welcoming and the people have to be open to newcomers. If you're just a little clique of dudes who don't welcome new people, it's not going to attract new blood - new game or otherwise. You'll drive away the new people faster than you can draw them in.

Yes, SRK has some trolls, but that's what every community gets when they get big enough. A community's online forum is not indicative of what the people are like in real life, face to face.

That said ... how about getting a weekly/bi-weekly thing going, hmmm?

I wouldn't mind hosting an intial meet & greet sometime in the future, but regular weekly things should really be somewhere public and friendly - i.e. OK.
lol we love it at OK, its just tough for us to get a set schedule since transportation is a HUGE issue for us. also timing is tough too. but i guess its worth a try though.

Is there anybody here who would be interested in an offline meeting at overklocked gaming next week on wednesday? also somebody contact offbeatninja and zehrithayl, we should definately get them in on this as well.

as for advertising the community, im thinkin of making a facebook page, a YT account, maybe a stream account, a twitter or something, and so on n so forth. its just tough though since im a bit of a procrastinator, but i'll get to it.

hey selece, do you know anything about getting matches recorded at overklocked? i'd like to record some offline matches for upload, so our community can show its stuff and advertise further.

on top of all this, guys, when we're not playing offline, we really should play online together. develop bonds, get to know eachother ect. i can record all our matches too if desired. doesnt matter what console ur on, because i have it for both. anyways, if you're on PSN, send me a message telling me ur from edmonton, and to add you. if you're on XBL, send me a friend request. we should definately come together as a community.

Is there anybody here who would be interested in an offline meeting at overklocked gaming next week on wednesday? also somebody contact offbeatninja and zehrithayl, we should definately get them in on this as well.

I talk to Zerithayl all the time, so I'll ask him. Idk where Overklocked is, but I'm down for meeting up. Whether or not I'll play online is pretty dependent on SC5's netcode. I can't stand online play, so unless it got better it's unlikely I'll play much.

Also who are you maining Slayer? Still Sieg?

I talk to Zerithayl all the time, so I'll ask him. Idk where Overklocked is, but I'm down for meeting up. Whether or not I'll play online is pretty dependent on SC5's netcode. I can't stand online play, so unless it got better it's unlikely I'll play much.

Also who are you maining Slayer? Still Sieg?

Overklocked is downtown next to the city center airport, 11618 119 St.

SC5's netcode is significantly better than SC4's. Between me and slayer the other night, it was very good. It still falls apart if you go too far, but, I was managing to get in some good matches with some friends on the east coast last night (felt about like a 5 bar in SC4, wasn't perfect). Though against random folk, there are still some who manage to lag a lot and make it untolerable.

Were some of you in the random ranbat for SF4 before the new year at OK?
I remember a bunch of people who were talking about SC, and I played a bunch of you in the ranbat. One of you was a Dan player, one of you was a Ken ... I think.

I think I remember you . :P I was the Rog player with the Rog hoodie.

wasnt me, im a streetfighter scrub. although during one of the times that we went to OK and played soul calibur, i think there was something streetfighter related going on. i didnt pay much attention, but i think some of those guys came and played a few rounds with us before we left or something. maybe thats why? lol idk XD

Wasn't any of us. Last time we went there was a LoL live stream being set up and a commentator came on over to us and played a round against me. Nothing street fighter related lol.

Wasn't any of us. Last time we went there was a LoL live stream being set up and a commentator came on over to us and played a round against me. Nothing street fighter related lol.
oh right. my bad. all i remembered was something going on XD couldnt remember what. shows how observant i am. but then again i did forget half way through that we were even at overklocked...

don't expect me there for tomorrow guys. i just discovered i'll be working 3:30PM-12:00AM. but you guys go ahead. as i said before, we cant just change the entire community's schedule for the convenience of one person.

ok well, any news on the session wednesday? did anything go on? lol

anyways, if you guys are available, we could host a session on THURSDAY 12:00noon - 8:00PM at overklocked? (i know its not wednesday, but this is the best i can do for now unless you guys are able to meet with eachother on your own terms.)
basically bring who you want, and come when you want, right?
i'll likely be there pretty much all day if you guys are willing to come.

It'd be great to meet everybody, and to finally get some calibur in for the new game ^-^

I wouldn't miss this for the world hehe. As for what console we play on...it's pretty even tbh. Me and Slayer play on PS3 and andur, Zerithayl etc play on Xbox primarily I think. I'm also not sure if there is a tourney standard console either. Maybe we should have a vote? XD

I wouldn't miss this for the world hehe. As for what console we play on...it's pretty even tbh. Me and Slayer play on PS3 and andur, Zerithayl etc play on Xbox primarily I think. I'm also not sure if there is a tourney standard console either. Maybe we should have a vote? XD

Well, the general standard is the ps3. However, if it has any frame rate issues with SC5 like SC4 did, then I vote in favor of the 360.
I really should just either dual mod my stick or buy another ps3 one. Though, until then, there's no way I'll be able to play in any sort of competent manner on a ps3 pad.

Okay guys you figure out if you want this to be 360 or ps3 and i will have this game in the final roster. I wont give it a teams tournament and simply leave it as a singles event.

I want to see how many people are willing to play this game. So lets make shit shit BIG

Also if you guys have casual meetings, make up a flyer and we can hand it out during the event as well!

That would be perfect. I have done some graphical designs in my time, so I can try my hand at making a flyer. How many should I print off if I try making some?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back