EVO 2012 Announcement Rundown

On Wakeup SRK Live, Mr. Wizard announced the lineup for EVO 2012 which takes place in Las Vegas, Nevada on July 6-8, 2012, with Soulcalibur V officially in the lineup as one of the main games for 2012.

Shoryuken has some additional details on this year's lineup and 2012 tournament season. Check after the break for some additional details that was mentioned during the live announcement.

Lineup:
  • Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition Version 2012
  • Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3
  • Soulcalibur V
  • Mortal Kombat
  • The King of Fighters XIII
  • Street Fighter X Tekken
Events:
  • Apex Tournament Series, New Brunswick, New Jersey Jan 6-8
  • Winter Brawl, Philadelphia, PA Feb 18-19
  • OzHadou Nationals X, Sydney, Australia Feb 17-19
  • Final Round, Atlanta, GA March 2-4
  • South East Asia Major, Bugis Arcade, Singapore Mar 17-18
  • NorCal Regionals 10, March 24-25
  • Texas Showdown, Houston, Texas April 6-8
  • PowerUp 2012, Cincinnati, Ohio April 13-15
  • Team Mad Catz Championships, San Diego, CA April 13-15
  • Toryuken, Toronto Ontario, Canada May 4th-6th
  • Season’s Beatings: Summer Slam, Columbus, OH May 5th
  • Northwest Majors, Seattle, WA May 26th
  • Ultimate Fighting Game Tournament 8, Chicago, IL May 25.27
  • Montreal Annual Tournament, Montreal, Canada June 3-4
  • East Coast Throwdown, Morristown, NJ June 9-10
  • CEO 2012, Orlando, FL June 15-17
  • Midwest Championships 2012, Nashville, TN June 22-24
Additional Info:
  • All games will receive seeding points for EVO
  • All games will be ran on the Sony PlayStation 3 console
  • Wireless DualShock 3 are banned at EVO
Mr. Wizard also mentioned the return of the EVO online tournament for SF and Marvel for 2012. Last year, the winner of the online tournament received a trip to EVO. If you would like to see a similar online tournament for Soulcalibur V, let them know and show your support.

Stream Archive
EVO

CY, if whatever you make is awesome enough, of course it can go on the front page. it depends, totally, on the quality of whatever it is, be it a news article, video, interview, blog etc...

as for the whole sc5 thing, well...who's gonna come run some blackjack tables with me?

Shoot him a tweet or post your interest here in this thread. He should see it either way.

And with the amount of people that do play Soulcalibur online, there should be a TON of interest in an online tournament for a trip to EVO.

And who knows, maybe a certain somebody could stream the finals for it. Hmm.

Tweet sent. His account is https://twitter.com/#!/mrwizardsrk

Also, a stream would be awesome!

On a side note, why no Skullgirls?

Because it was hard to see how much of a scene it would have and I assume Mr. Wizard didn't forsee a big scene for it. Maybe next year if the community is big by next year it'll be at evo

Awesome Idle.

MK returned, so I am quite happy.

Entering MK, SCV, and possibly KOFXIII. :)

Potmonster'n and staffing all weekend long lol. ^_^

Let's the GAMES begin!!

I'm so HYPED! I was thinking about doing my first trip to USA on this year, but NOW I'm totally SURE to make my first landing directly on LAS VEGAS!

If I'm LUCKY see you ALL in VEGAS!

KOFXIII and SC5?

My Viola crystal ball was right on the money, except for the MK9/BB switch.

Along with UMvC3, it makes it really tempting to save money to go now... :D

I guess I will body u all see you all there, right?

Open tournament? I can actually sign up and compete even though it'd be my first one?

That is correct. If you place at any EVO season event before the main one, you get seeding points (allowing you to bypass the early rounds) but it is not necessary to do so in order to compete.

That is correct. If you place at any EVO season event before the main one, you get seeding points (allowing you to bypass the early rounds) but it is not necessary to do so in order to compete.
Heck yeah! I'm looking forward to this!

SCV is currently not an official tournament at OzHadou. Though we have expressed interest for the game to become an official tournament and we Aussies hope it will happen. If it does then EVO may be expecting people from Australia to attend the SCV tournament :).

Hmmmm, so apparently Justin Wong is hype about SC5 and wants to play it. We should make sure to welcome him correctly hehehehehe
This is another thing to realize. If we get some notable 2D players playing SC5 chances are many will follow. Then if you factor in fans of SC returning and some hardcore fans attending tournaments for the first time PLUS the added support from Namco you end up with a ton of people at tournaments. Nothing like SF4 numbers but it wouldn't be shocking to see 200 or more at majors for at least the first couple of months. I personally think we can see even more than that.

The key is being very welcoming. Don't expect them to just fade off, treat them like a part of the SC family. If we get a good number of people to stick the game gains serious longevity. We need to expect the game to do really well and do all we can to keep it that way.

This is another thing to realize. If we get some notable 2D players playing SC5 chances are many will follow. Then if you factor in fans of SC returning and some hardcore fans attending tournaments for the first time PLUS the added support from Namco you end up with a ton of people at tournaments. Nothing like SF4 numbers but it wouldn't be shocking to see 200 or more at majors for at least the first couple of months. I personally think we can see even more than that.

The key is being very welcoming. Don't expect them to just fade off, treat them like a part of the SC family. If we get a good number of people to stick the game gains serious longevity. We need to expect the game to do really well and do all we can to keep it that way.

Offline, the community has been welcoming to everyone regardless of what game they play, at least from my perspective here on the east coast. As long as the game is good and there's competition, people will stick with the game.

But it's going to be interesting to see who actually picks the game up now that the lineup for EVO is official and Namco is throwing hunnids out the gate for it. This is the type of support that I was hoping that SCV would receive. Now it's time to do it big.

Online tournament would be good for getting Evo some more exposure, of course. And in the past, we've had pretty good players win these, in spite of the other good players who get BS'd out by all the problems inherent with an online event.

Last one I entered, I survived two people intentionally lagging their games out, only to get DQ'd by someone who refused to communicate with me until after I was already at work. Played dude after and as expected, he was booty.

Despite the problems with online tournaments, I feel the positives outweigh the negatives. Let's try and get it done.

how much is the entry fee, and do we pay at EVO or register before hand?

You have to register before hand, you can't register at the door. They close registration like a week or 2 before the event. That's how it was last year at least.

I'm so hyped! Hitting up UMVC3 and then SC5. God I can just imagine the amount new players who will be there.

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca9974
Back