Execution Barriers: Should They Be Higher or Lower?

Do you want execution barriers to be higher of lower?

• Total voters

HydroJames

Shining Sea Dragon
I prefer lower execution barriers. I like games to be easy to pick up and play and think that it would ensure that newcomers would have an easier time getting invested into the game.

There's likely always going to be at least a couple of exeuction/ JF heavy characters. Whether those JF combos be 100% stronger or only 20% stronger is the grey area.

Most games try to split the difference by offering low execution characters and ranging up to nosebleed execution characters. It's a form of balancing in of itself.

Given that execution's a matter of training your muscle memory, it's not that big of a deal as long as you're willing to sit down and train the high execution shit.

I prefer lower execution barriers. I like games to be easy to pick up and play and think that it would ensure that newcomers would have an easier time getting invested into the game.

Do you mean the game overall? Or specific characters and preferences?

Games like Smash that have next to 0 execution barriers for normal moves seem odd to me. All the high execution aspects of that game are pretty much glitches. I like having some difficulty with pressing buttons but not so much I feel like I am in practice mode every time I play drilling the same thing.

Using execution barriers to justify the existence of super powerful stuff strikes me as lazy design. In my ideal world, both players can do whatever they feel like whenever they feel like it, and the person who out-thinks his opponent wins.

Ok Seth.

I agree that just tossing OP stuff on a character then hiding it with JF's is lazy but some people actually do enjoy execution for whatever reason so one or two characters that demand execution (not necessarily OP stuff) out of a roster of 20 characters or so shouldn't be a terrible compromise between the demented types who like to drill dumb stuff like that and the sane people out there.

Last edited:
Do you mean the game overall? Or specific characters and preferences?

Games like Smash that have next to 0 execution barriers for normal moves seem odd to me. All the high execution aspects of that game are pretty much glitches. I like having some difficulty with pressing buttons but not so much I feel like I am in practice mode every time I play drilling the same thing.
The game overall.

Back