.:. Gabriel’s CAS Cornucopia of Homages, Originals, Recolors, and 3Ps .:.

Gabedamien

I Want To Be Happy
OK, I finally dragged out my camera (curse you, lack of X360 screenshot options!) and took some pics of my ongoing SCV CAS works.

Some of these are cooperative efforts between myself and my siblings and/or friends; credit is, of course, noted where appropriate.

I’ve been slow with my SCV CASs so far, but things are heating up! If you have any questions about how an effect was accomplished, let me know. I will try to supply relevant notes, reference images used in the case of homage characters, etc.

It’s going to take me a while to upload and format everything, but as a teaser, here are the character cards for batch #1 that I’ll be putting up (I’ll be removing these one by one as I put up their respective posts)!

Thumb Algol.jpgThumb Birdimitsu.jpgThumb El-Shaia 01.jpgThumb Hissatsuken.jpgThumb Leixia 2.jpgThumb Leixia.jpgThumb Yoshimitsu 2.jpgThumb Yoshimitsu.jpgThumb RA-SOL-HELIO.jpg

SCV Thumb Alts 3.jpg

Liara T'Soni
  • My Rating (out of 5): ★★★★★
  • CAS Type: Homage
  • Source: Mass Effect game series
  • Style: Viola (weapon: the master)
  • Brief biography: Liara is a member of the Asari alien council race, an archaeologist of Prothean civilization, and one of Commander Shepard’s possible love interests. She plays a pivotal role in the Mass Effect series, and her character is a complex mixture of aloof intelligence and vulnerable loneliness. She has biotic powers.
  • Creation notes: I’m really proud of how close this one came to the source. The “semi-flexible cartilaginous scalp growths” (as she describes them) were surprisingly easy, and combined with the cornrows hairstyle I couldn’t have asked for a closer Asari. I used her ME3 outfit for reference, will attach images for comparison. I just finished ME3 a few days ago, so the tremendous emotional impact of that series still resonates with me. I had to attempt ME characters if only because they’d be so distinctive yet also a challenge. I gave Liara Viola’s style, because her movements are suitably elegant and feminine and also because Liara is a biotic (space magic caster). It looks really, really appropriate in-game.
  • Updated 3/29/12: Added alternate version based on community feedback. Replaced Silver Guantlets with Tiger Lily Gauntlets. Recolored upper sleeves white. Removed Scaled Fauld. Removed one blue trim sticker to add blue back belt sticker.
>>>>> Open spoilers tab for pics! <<<<<
3/19/12 Updated Version:

SCV Liara Alt 1 (1).jpg
SCV Liara Alt 2 (1).jpg
SCV Liara Alt 3.jpg
SCV Liara Alt 4.jpg
SCV Liara Alt 5.jpg

Older version:

Thumb Liara.jpg

SCV Liara 6.jpg

SCV Liara 7.jpg
SCV Liara 8.jpg

SCV Liara 1.jpg
SCV Liara 2.jpg
SCV Liara 3.jpg
SCV Liara 5.jpg
SCV Liara 4.jpg
And for reference:
830px-Normandy_-_Liara.jpg
SB129.png
liara_detail.jpg
liara_front2.jpg
Added 3/29/12, Detailed Formula List (ugh this is a pain to do in SCV):
Liara T'Soni SCV Formula (detailed)

Style: Viola
Body Type: Thin

Body:

Height 3 / Normal
Upper Arms: -16​
Forearms: -20​
Pectorals: -11​
Hips: -4​
Thighs: -4​
Calves: -8​
Stomach: -20​
Chest: 1​
Waist: -20​
Face 3
Cornrows
Eyebrows 19
Femme Fatale/-8/-5/None

Equipment:

Undergarments: Rubber Unitard
Upper Body: Noble's Dress
Lower Body: Glossy Leggings
Neck: Brass Choker
Arm: Tiger Lily Gauntlets
Ankle: Knee Socks
Feet: Engineer's Long Boots
Special Equipment 1: Helmet Ornament: Pirate (horizontal -5, vertical 5, back 3, width 0, length 16, depth 0, rotate vert -84, rotate horizontal 19, angle 121).
Special Equipment 2: Helmet Ornament: Pirate (horizontal -5, vertical -4, back -1, width 0, length -12, depth 1, rotate vert -99, rotate horizontal 19, angle 132).
Special Equipment 3: Helmet Ornament: Pirate (horizontal 0, vertical 3, back 6, width 9, length 24, depth 0, rotate vert -90, rotate horizontal 10, angle 106).

Weapon/Style:

Viola
The Master
Magic Pack

Body Colors

Skin: 9:37,11
Undergarments: 9:2,2
Hair: 5:37,20
Face Paint: #41 (color1: 9:38,12 / color2: 9:36,12 / color: 9:42,31)
Eyebrows: 9:41,29
Eyes (Iris): 9:37,14
Eyes (Whites): 0:39,0

Equipment Colors

Undergarments: pattern Oriental 5 (hexagons) (color1: 4:0,2 / color2: 4:0,0 / color3: 4:0,0). Size: minimum. Angle: +6 (6 ticks right of center).
Upper Body
Upper Body color slot 1: pattern Basic 14 (circles) (color1: 9:0,7 / color2: 0:0,0 / color3: 0:0,0). Size: -12 (twelve ticks left of center). Angle: +18 (18 ticks right of center). Flip Vertical: on.​
Upper Body color slot 2: pattern Oriental 5 (hexagons) (color1: 0:0,26 / 0:0,22 / 0:0,22). Size: minimum. Angle: -22 (22 ticks left of center).​
Upper Body color slot 3: 9:38,19​
Upper Body color slot 4: 0:0,20​
Bottoms: 0:0,30
Neck: pattern Basic 4 (stripes) (color1: 9:39,15 / color2: 0:0,0). Size: max. Angle: +23 (23 ticks right of center). Flip Horizontal: on.
Arms
Arms color slot 1: 0:0,3​
Arms color slot 2: 0:0,3​
Arms color slot 3: pattern Basic 4 (stripes) (color1: 0:0,7 / color2: 0:0,3). Size: -13 (twelve ticks left of center). Angle: +26 (26 ticks right of center).​
Ankle: 0:0,24
Feet
Feet color slot 1: 0:0,0​
Feet color slot 2: 0:0,31​
Specialized Equipment 1, 2, and 3: pattern Ethnic 11 (spots) (color1: 6:38,17 / color2: 7:37,26). Size: minimum

Weapon Colors

Weapon: 0:0,0
Weapon Trail: 9:33,17

Stickers
Upper Body: Two “1”s placed by axis, colored blue (9:41,16) with white grey trim, form the straps on her back. A blue zipper on her back, placed by axis, forms the belt.
Lower Body: Two pentagons colored light grey (0:0,10), one on each leg, placed by axis, form the thigh armor plates. I can include values if you need, but it’s not too hard. A diamond colored light grey (0:0,9) forms the, er, uh, crotch plate (placed by axis on hip).
Feet: Two “Motif 59” stickers (metallic pentagons), one on each leg placed by axis, form the side trim on her boots. Color1: 8:36,4 / color2: 9:43,24. Again, I can post the values if you really need, but it’s pretty easy.

SCV Thumb Alts 2.jpg

Commander Shepard
  • My Rating (out of 5): ★★★
  • Style: Cervantes (weapon: the master)
  • Brief biography: Commander Shepard is the main player character of Mass Effect. The default male Shepard, whom I chose to emulate here, has a distinctive black combat armor with red-and-white stripe on the side and “N7” logo on the chest. Since Shepard’s bio depends on the player input, there’s not much more to say except that he’s the galaxy’s last best hope for survival.
  • Creation notes: What can I say, surprisingly easy but not amazingly good, I give it a B. The N7 wasn’t coming out so well, I just slapped some pyramids into his chest armor. I added an electronic visor just for spice. As I mentioned in the Liara post, I finished ME3 only a few days ago, so the emotional impact of that series is still pretty fresh; I had to attempt ME characters if only for the challenge. I gave Shep Cervantes’s style because it’s powerful and uses guns. It looks pretty good in-game, not perfect but hey.
  • Updated 3/29/12: Switched the face. Much better now, thanks for the suggestion.
3/29/12 Updated Version (color variation due to photography):

SCV Cmdr Shep Alt.jpg

Old Version:

SCV Shepard 1.jpg
SCV Shepard 3.jpg
SCV Shepard 2.jpg
SCV Shepard 4.jpg
And for reference:
may2011coverfront610.jpg

OK, one more before I call it a night. I’ll continue uploading the rest gradually tomorrow.
SCV Thumb Alts 5.jpg

Thane Krios
  • My Rating (out of 5): ★★★★
  • Style: Natsu (weapon: kagekiri? the most “tactical”/simple pair.)
  • Brief biography: Thane Krios is a drell alien assassin with a terminal illness. He’s an all-around space badass and philosopher with perfect (possibly too-perfect) memory and a penchant for flipping around and messing people up.
  • Creation notes: Oy vey this was tough. Getting the right combination of stickers (butterfly, wings, scar, and pentagon) and special equipment (two pairs of rabbit ears and a heart) on his head to make him look like Thane was a nightmare, and I’m not 100% satisfied with the results to be honest. However, I think it is very recognizable as him, for which I’m pretty happy. The all-black eyes are a big help. The rest of Thane’s outfit is fairly simple, but a little tricky to pull off perfectly in SCV-space. I think I did a reasonable job of it. Stickers helped sell the illusion of the coat’s chest being more open than it really is. Overall I’d put this at B+/A- territory myself, mostly because it had a very high difficulty level albeit with imperfect results. Gave him Natsu’s style, which works pretty well.
  • Updated 3/29/12: Slight changes to his head, mainly in the texture, color, and position of the “head plates,” and the addition of a central ridge. Searched for a better face, but it was too hard to compare since each time I had to fix the eyebrows, eyes, and makeup. Left the face as it was. Doubt I can get much closer to Thane using this method. I’m personally satisfied, but I’d be stoked if someone else could get closer!
3/29/12 Updated Version:

SCV Thane Alt 1.jpg
SCV Thane Alt 2.jpg

Old Version:

Thumb Thane Krios.jpg

SCV Thane 1.jpg
SCV Thane 3.jpg
SCV Thane 2.jpg
SCV Thane 4.jpg
And for reference:
Thane_Character_Box.png

mass_effect_2__thane___model_reference__by_troodon80-d4juyi4.jpg

me2_character_thane_v02_01.jpg

Wow, that Liara is awesome! Props to you for trying some out there characters.

How'd you get her skin to look light blue? Every time I try making a blue character, it's either dark or sickly grey.

Wow, that Liara is awesome! Props to you for trying some out there characters.

How'd you get her skin to look light blue? Every time I try making a blue character, it's either dark or sickly grey.
Thanks!

For light blue skin, max out the saturation (RB > 9). Then just go down from the the top until the skin turns the desired shade of blue. It’s hard to get a really light blue, but as this character demonstrates it is possible to get it at least somewhat light.

Wow!, nicely done, I'm not a Mass Effect fan, but you done surplisely good on recreating them.
a pair of opinions of mine:
Liara T'soni: maybe you can replicate her better without use armored parts, expecially the belt, that scaled fauld don't suit well.
C. Shepard: the suit is acceptable, can be improved of course, but still good; the face seems too young to me, try to give him some beard.
Thane Krios: I know it was a pain, but the face need to be revisioned, maybe you can take a look over VILARCANE Tali'zora (this page http://8wayrun.com/threads/a-tale-of-souls-and-swords-eternally-retold.11292/page-6) she make a faboulos alien style face for her, even if that's not Tali's face ^ ^

Hi!
Liara caught me of guard, nice use of the horns+patterns there...
Nice attempt at Thane too...must have required a lot of work...
...check out my Tali'Zorah in my thread lol !

ps : for all 3 CAS, i reckon there might be better faces (maybe), as already commented

and for Liara, remove the fauld that distracts from the the space opera look...
try out a blue colored zipper sticker if you need a belt instead, if you have sticker slots left

Thanks guys!

Re: Liara, I know the scaled fauld isn’t perfect, but it’s the only thing that gives the right lines and illusion of a continuous jacket. It might also be revealing the top part of her leggings, I forget (i.e., the shirt front might naturally go too low otherwise – in which case a mere sticker unfortunately wouldn’t suffice, Vilarcane, although I’m going to use that zipper trick in the future). I did try a bunch of other equipment. UPDATE: as an alternative, no belt equipment gives a still-passable jacket look; I’ll upload a pic in a bit. OK, here are two blurry cell phone pics, what do you guys think? Personally I like the fauld better because the silhouette/lines are more accurate (albeit less continuous), but I can see this being preferable depending on your tastes (PS I’m already at sticker limit, so no zipper belt):

Liara's arm armor on the other hand I didn’t experiment with quite as thoroughly; it might be better as something else, especially since I can change the sleeve color (it’s separate from the V-neck cloth on her shirt). Personally I liked the arm armor as it looks pretty good from a distance / in-battle, but I can try other combinations and see what I get. Update: tried making the sleeves almost-white grey and swapping the armor for Tiger Lily gauntlets, gloves, etc. The other combos worked, but I was split on what looked best. I may keep adjusting and re-upload at some point.

As far as faces go, for all three I tried pretty much every face! Haha. Liara’s is about as close as it gets in SCV, even if it is a bit girly. I know Shep’s too young as well, but there’s no (update: oops, missed one!) slightly-older stubble-face (just annoyingly thick beards). It looks much better in motion than up-close. And Thane... the face is actually pretty good, it’s all the accessories (stickers, equipment, etc.) that are almost impossible to nail to make a drell head. However, I’m still experimenting with Thane’s head for sure (that sounds pretty weird, haha).

Anyway, later I will attempt to specify formulae for each some so that you all can attempt to improve them. I’m eager to to see any alternative interpretations of these templates you guys come up with. Formulae in SCV are a bit trickier to relate than in SCIV (where you could just take a pic of the “Details” tab) but I’ll see what i can do.

Furako, yeah, Thane’s head I am still changing at the moment. It’s really a challenge, subtle shifts make a BIG difference in this case, but if I get anything better I’ll re-post.

Vilarcane, I was going to attempt Tali soon, but damn that’s pretty good! I’ll still try one of my own, but I’m probably going to have to steal your method for the faceplate, haha.

SRSGamer87, I laughed that you recognized Belle, but the reason I used Raph’s style for her and the Beast is for the rose weapon, which is obviously a big part of the Disney plot. It’s also an elegant style which I think fits Belle well. ZWEI’s style is a pretty funny idea though, like her and the Beast fighting together, hah! A nice alternative choice. Stuff I’ll go into when I post those characters (next round).

Azazel, I’ll post the Liara formula soon, but basically it’s the cornrows hairstyle + 3 pairs of horns oriented very carefully (haha) and given a blue-on-blue spotted texture.

All right, on to the next round: Disney characters! My siblings and I did a ton of 90s-era Disney in SCIV, and they’re always fun because they’re very recognizable, extremely distinctive and colorful, and elicit a big response from people who were kids during that era.
Thumb Malifecent.jpg

Maleficent
  • My Rating (out of 5):
  • Source: Walt Disney’s Sleeping Beauty (film)
  • Style: ZWEI (weapon: whichever one is dark and purple, LOL)
  • Brief biography: Maleficent is the evil fairy (not a witch, surprisingly) who casts the sleeping spell on the eponymous Sleeping Beauty. IMHO, she’s the greatest Disney villain ever. Totally classic, brilliantly voiced, extremely powerful, turns into a freaking dragon, etc.
  • Creation notes: This was a lot of fun. I attempted Maleficent in SCIV with mixed results (Zas style with the dragon scythe). SCV makes it much easier. Wish I could make the horns dark matte black, but that’s OK, as usual I prioritize silhouette/lines over materials. The gold eyes and red lipstick were clutch. Making the cowl around her face was, similar to Thane, a little tricky with stickers, but it worked pretty well I think. Gave her ZWEI’s style for a couple reasons: she has a very powerful (aesthetically) stance and comportment, she uses animal magic and familiars, and this way she’s not so much melee based but sits back and casts spells. Looks pretty good in-game. Of course she has a staff in the film, but come on, Xiba’s style would have been extremely stupid.
SCV Malifecent 1.jpg
SCV Malifecent 4.jpg
SCV Malifecent 2.jpg
SCV Malifecent 3.jpg
SCV Malifecent 5.jpg
And for reference:
Maleficent-ScreenRant.jpg

Malificent-Crashing-the-Party-550x318.jpg

Malificent-web.jpg

SCV Thumb Alts 1.jpg

Gaston
  • Credit: Myself, my brother, and my sister
  • My Rating (out of 5):
  • Source: Walt Disney’s Beauty and the Beast (film)
  • Style: Cervantes (weapon: Seax)
  • Brief biography: Gaston is the villain of Beauty and the Beast (and the hero of countless YouTube parody videos). An arrogant hunk hunter, nobody does ______ like Gaston (fill in the blank). Men want to be him, women want to be with him. Well, until he’s thrown off a castle by a Beast (OMG spoilers!). And all he wanted was “six or seven” kids with Belle, what a shame.
  • Creation notes: This was a fast collaboration with my brother and sister. The face and the hair aren’t perfect (and we argued about which hairstyle was best — we went with “The Master” and put a bow in it) but I think they’re as close as they could get. Surprisingly the voice is actually pretty close, I’ll post it if I remember to check it. To get the pseudo-exposed bicep appearance, we colored the sleeves of the shirt with a skin tone color. These pics are slightly outdated, the final version has stickers to create a yellow collar at the shirt. Gave him Cervantes’s style because it has guns, looks like a peasant weapon (seax) albeit greatly exaggerated, and is aggressive. All-in-all, not amazing, might not immediately make people say “Gaston!” unless they are already thinking of Disney characters, but fun and goofy and looks right in context. Wish the shirt was more of a tunic, but the actual tunic didn’t work very well. Oh yes, and “EVERY LAST INCH OF [HIM’S] COVERED IN HAIR” (body hair on, lol).
  • Updated 3/29/12: added the yellow collar back on (stickers). Made the belt dark brown and faked extending the red shirt using stickers. Changed the hair bow to blue (which is more French and which he wore in at least one scene).
3/29/12 Updated Version:

SCV Gaston Alt.jpg

Old Version:

SCV Gaston 1.jpg
SCV Gaston 2.jpg
SCV Gaston 4.jpg
SCV Gaston 3.jpg
And for reference:
GastonVillain.jpg
tumblr_lr2s72zEPg1qe3fkd.gif
36385_1318022270561_full.jpg