Game of Thrones Discussion Thread (Books and Show)

Alexandra

Fearless Eyes
I didn't see a thread for this so I thought it would be neat to have one. I personally LOVE Game of Thrones and I'm currently reading the 5th book, A Dance with Dragons. Here are a few of my favorite things about the show and books. Spoilers are accepted.

Favorite Character -- Arya Stark, Queen Cersei Lannister, Tyrion Lannister, Catelyn Stark, and my number 1 favorite is Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, Mother of Dragons, Khalaessi of the Great Grass Sea, Queen of Meereen, Ruler of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, and Protector of the Realm.

Favorite Book -- Storm of Swords (Book 3)

Favorite Episode -- "Winter is Coming"

In the show, the actors who portrayed their characters the best were...
Maisie Williams: Arya Stark
Peter Dinklage: Tyrion Lannister
Emilia Clarke: Daenerys Targaryen
Sean Bean: Eddard Stark
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau: Jaime Lannister
Lena Headey: Cersei Lannister
Michelle Fairley: Catelyn Stark

Im a fan of the Books and a fan of the show as well. I thought the acting was kept to a high standard overall and I agree with your ranking, though I think the kid who played Bran did an excellent job too. Sir Jory also was very convincing with his difficult part. I think his Neutral, but influenced persona would be a challenge to act well. Im REALLY looking forward to season two. I absolutely love the show.

Some of the details shifted a bit, such as Sir Loras and Renly's more or less Openly gay relationship. Possible in the Book, Blatant in the show. Im sure its welcome though and probably helped the ratings. I hope that this terrific example of Fantasy book turned HBO series is only the first of many. Its time film turned to real writers for their stories. So sick of the same old re-hashed cop/hospital dramas.

first. parn. Record of Lodoss War. Brilliant anime. hats off to you sir.

second. Game of thrones.

I'm a fan of the books and series. but I won't lie, it was the tv show I watched first and then the books, because I couldn't wait to see what happens next.
I really enjoyed how they fleshed out this world. the subtle details in how they cast their characters.

(an example being how Northerner extras were forbidden to get tans.) how different parts of the world used different accents to add to the culture of each area. Not to mention the sheer amount of content in each episode! I've rewatched the first season a number of times and each time, came away with something new that I hadn't caught before. There aren't many wasted shots and each drive home meaning.

I love the symmetry. the first episode, we see the dead bodies arranged in a specific order to create a symbol. that same symbol we see at the end as Daenerys walks into the pyre. I mean this show is brilliant in its storytelling on its own, but after reading the first book and rewatching the show, knowing the break downs of what took place where in the book and where it differed in the show but seeing it still work was great.

having said that..

BAM!

I. CAN. NOT. WAIT!

What I really think is a burning topic in my mind is the Coldhands theory.

I personally believe he's Benjen Stark or possibly Brynden "Bloodraven" Rivers (also known as the Great Targaryen Bastard). A problem I have noticed with this theory is that the three-eyed crow is most probably Bloodraven as one of the last children of the forest states that Coldhands was killed long ago, and for children of the forest, three years (since Benjen Stark's disappearance and the reappearance of the Others and Dragons) is not a very long time.

Another theory I have is that Jon Snow's mother may be Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen's child as in Ned's dream of the day of her death in book one, Ned describes blood being mopped by her sheets around the abdomen. It would also explain her being bedridden.

An additional thought on this is that Jon may be a product of incest between Lyanna and Ned.
Some evidence includes...
  • His overwhelming resemblance to his father (from the books' description)
  • Most Targaryen children, even bastards, have a Targaryen look to them in at least one aspect (purple eyes, silver hair, etc.)
  • His traditional Stark looks, and only those appear.
There is one thing I find as an arguement to this:

When Arya is travelling with the Brotherhood Without Banners in Storm of Swords, she meets a boy named Ned who reveals that Jon and himself were milk brothers. Wylla was the woman's name he spoke. This is the same thing Ned told Robert.

Now, for the Prince that was Promised:
  1. Daenerys Targaryen
  • Why? Because Dany was born from smoke and salt (Dragonstone) during a violent storm. She woke dragons from stone. Maester Aemon believes this as well and he is a knowledgeable and wise old man.
2. Jon Snow
  • When Bowen Marsh stabs him, his wounds smoke. Also, Melisandre can only see him in her visions. Another piece of vital information is that Jon sees himself, albeit older in a dream fighting a group of Others with an enchanted sword

Lastly, I have a theory on Daenerys' now increasingly skeptical plan to march on Westeros
I think that after she somehow returns to Meereen to find the city preparing for war or already fighting, she will want to stay and may never even leave the continent of Essos

Another thing I think may happen is Daenerys not even escaping Khal Jaqo and her largest and most powerful dragon killed. Then she will either be killed with her favorite "child" or be brought to the Dosh Khaleen in Vaes Dothrak.

Lastly, she may end up having an epiphany in the Dothraki Sea and decides to leave Meereen and join her nephew in Westeros so they can marry and conquer Westeros like their forebear, Aegon I. But, theres also the fact that Daenerys or Aegon would need to defend the world from the Others with Daenerys's own "magical sword", her dragons.

Lodoss Indeed. Thanks for noticing. I wonder how many, or how few, realize that the same talented character designer was responsible for Sheherazade.

I have a feeling that Daenerys wont die. I think a significant marriage will ligitimize her in the eyes of Westeros, but I cant guess the man for the job. It might be cool if she gave Sir Jory another chance.

Jon's hand is black. It always makes me think of a similarity to the "Ranger" Bran meets with the cold hands. I dont really know what the "Others" might be but I wonder if Jon is more like Infected than just wounded by it.

It seems that Bran has the strongest bond with his Wolf and to all of nature aparently. Jon does have dreams though where he percieves his wolf's experiences. It's almost like the Starks who leave the North lose the bond.

If each bloodline has a particular bond. Stark wolves, Tararyen dragons.. Lannister money? Baratheon? Tully? Might these houses begin to exhibit signs? I like how the feeling in the series is like dormant magic awakening.

Lastly, I think Catelyn is a Zombie and the Mountain that rides is some even worse abomination that noone seems to get curious about. Looking forward to some details there.

I agree that Cat has been turned into a zombie, as well as the Mountain. Qyburn must be some type of necromancer (wizard who raises the dead). Explains the removal of his Maester's chain. Also I get the feeling Varys will die. I really want him to die.

Yeah Qyburn... bit of an enigma. May well have necromantic tendencies. It seems like Cat is still pretty... articulate for a Zombie. Maybe the Mountain, and any other zombies, will be coherent and retain skills from life. That makes the Mountain pretty damned fearsome. It also makes you wonder what other "dead" characters may reenter the story.

I really hope that Arya and her story effect the outcome of events in Westeros. I mean I really want her to get revenge. I want her to be a true assassin eventually with skills that make her capable of murdering the corrupt. She has been kind of helpless for a long time. It creates a sense of horror in the books, which I like, but I think most of the readers would love to see her kick some ass as the story progresses.

Also, Brienne is awesome. Really looking forward to her in Season 2.

and now... ladies and gents... trailer 2. if you haven't seen it.. the fuck is wrong with you?

if you have seen it.. watch it again.

MY GOD!

So I contacted Qyburn via raven to have him do some thread necromancy for me so I could mention that I finished ADwD a few days ago. I'm kind of disappointed that GRRM hasn't gotten around to the Battle of Slaver's Bay or the Battle at the Wall yet, but they're supposed to be very early on in The Winds of Winter.

I hope this whole Aegon VI business doesn't turn out to be an elaborate hoax by Varys. So far Aegon's managed to do in a few chapters what Daenerys has been bitching about for five books, and he doesn't even have dragons.

So I contacted Qyburn via raven to have him do some thread necromancy for me so I could mention that I finished ADwD a few days ago. I'm kind of disappointed that GRRM hasn't gotten around to the Battle of Slaver's Bay or the Battle at the Wall yet, but they're supposed to be very early on in The Winds of Winter.

I hope this whole Aegon VI business doesn't turn out to be an elaborate hoax by Varys. So far Aegon's managed to do in a few chapters what Daenerys has been bitching about for five books, and he doesn't even have dragons.
In classic GRRM style, I expect him to succeed and then Daenerys will go and melt his face with her breath. I mean Drogon's.

I love how Arya is left handed #left handed fencing FTW.(Raphael is also left handed muahahaha. and Zwei)
I love how Arya and Dany don't move their stories along. Let me just wipe the sarcasm and bile off of my face.
Truthfully, I got tired of Arya and her assassin shtick. I could read her A Storm of Swords chapters everyday and not get tired of them. I honestly like her character but I was pretty bored with her story in A Dance with Dragons.

From one of the later books, a nice little thing I noticed:

“Not all,” said Jaime. “Lord Eddard’s daughters live. One has just been wed. The other…” Brienne, where are you? Have you found her? “…if the gods are good, she’ll forget she was a Stark. She’ll wed some burly blacksmith or fat-faced inkeep, fill his house with children, and never need to fear that some knight might come along to smash their heads against a wall.”

So obviously Jaime is making reference to Gendry and Hot Pie, but also "She'll forget she was a Stark" could possibly be related to her whole "Faceless Man" arc, and her being told to give up her identity and whatnot? This, of course, would be contrary to when Ned I think) told her that, come Winter, the lone wolf will die, and that Summer was the time for squables, but Winter was the time for coming together and protecting each other. Then there's the fact she's in Braavos, and we have the whole "Titan/Littlefinger" thing going on. So, Arya kills Littlefinger for Sansa's sake? Though I'd like Sansa to end him, personally.
As Jaime says: "If the gods are good" Arya would marry Gendry (yay) or Hot Pie (boo) and blahblahblah, but of course the gods are NEVER good, and typically do the opposite of whatever is mentioned alongside that phrase.

I'd like to think that Victarion saying he'll sail the Dothraki sea IS foreshadowing, implying that he'll be 'sailing' it from astride a dragon.

Also, I like how "Weirwood" is phonetically twinned with "Werewood", which would essentially mean "Man-Tree", in the same vein that "Werewolf" means "Man-wolf". But that's more a silly observation than an attempt at anything.

I'd like to think that Victarion saying he'll sail the Dothraki sea IS foreshadowing, implying that he'll be 'sailing' it from astride a dragon.

Victarion is ambitious, but he will fail. I'm expecting the dragons to hear the call of the horn and get enraged by the sound, sending them into a frenzy. I get the feeling some of Victarion's ships will survive the fire and the imminent Battle of Meereen, with Moqorro escaping and meeting Dany at the same time as Archmaester Marwyn. This way she'd be forced to decide between the two: the Seven and Westeros or the Lord of Light and Azor Ahai.

I have something I would like to present to the forum, aside from Victarion. (I apologize for the copy and paste mishap BUT I WAS NOT RETYPING THIS)

Introduction:

First things first I'm not arguing whether or not Aegon is in fact Aegon VI, son of Rhaegar Targaryen, or he's a Blackfyre or he's just some boy from Lys. This is something that I thought could happen and after discovering something in the So Spake Martin section my idea turned into a theory. At the end I will have a bibliography of the outside sources I used. Otherwise most information will be taken from The Citadel here on Westeros.org or the wiki. So first a little background on the subject that I feel is important to the series.

Background on the Titles:

George R.R. Martin originally intended the series to be a trilogy, starting with
A Game of Thrones
with the next two books being titled

A Dance with Dragons and The Winds of Winter

These titles are the three that have remained throughout the series and I believe hold some significance to the story. There seem to be three subplots going on throughout the series; The "game of thrones" going on between the different Houses and Lords, the journey of Daenerys trying to regain her throne, and the threat of The Others.

A Game of Thrones

tells the story of the game of thrones going on, although the other plots are introduced the real focus seems to be Kings Landing.

A Dance with Dragons

focuses on the "dragons" of the story

We can assume with the massing of The Others beyond The Wall and with the ominous title that
The Winds of Winter will focus on The Wall and the coming of The Others.

The Original Dance of the Dragons:

For those who don't know much about the original Dance of the Dragons and would like a more detailed description I would suggest reading the
wiki article.

As for a quick summary King Viserys I had three children by his first wife, from House Arryn. Of those three children only his daughter Rhaenyra survived to adulthood. He became to train her as his heir, in spite of the fact that no female Targaryen had ever sat as ruler upon the Iron Throne. Viserys ended up remarrying and having four more children, however still declared Rhaenyra was his heir in his will. Upon his death the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard Ser Criston Cole, known as "the Kingmaker" declared Viserys' son Aegon II the king going against the will of Viserys I. Rhaenyra with supporter's refuted Aegon II's claim and a bloody civil war was started with the lesser houses of House Targaryen choosing sides along with other Houses in Westeros. Dragon fought dragon, many died. This became known as The Dance of the Dragon. Afterwards Rhaenyra was killed and a line of succession was established putting any female with a claim to the throne behind all males who have any claim.

My Theory and How I Originally Got There:

When I heard about that I realized that Aegon and Dany weren't getting to get along.

The whole time Dany has been set upon sitting upon the Iron Throne. Not simply being the Queen but ruling. We see this in Meeren when she sits in court everyday. Originally Aegon was set on going to meet up with her and winning her hand, but thanks to Tyrion, he is now sitting in Westeros.

Arianne is on the way from Dorne to meet this Aegon. Doran Martell's son was killed by Dany (not directly, but in his mind he may see her dragons as an extension of her). So wouldn't he like to ally Dorne with Aegon by marrying Arianne to Aegon? Jon Connington would most likely urge Aegon to do this as getting Dorne as an ally would be very important.

Dany over in Meeren may not see Aegon as an ally, rather as a usurper. In theory if the Targaryen's had never lost the throne Aegon would have a much stronger claim than Dany would. Any loyal Targaryen Houses will see that as well. We can assume the Iron Born will side with Dany since Victarion is attempting to do that now.

So we will have Aegon and Dorne in Westeros looking to conquer and we know Aegon is not only looking to rule but ready to rule. He has been trained by Septa Lemore, Haldon Half-Maester, and Jon Connington to rule as a king.

And we will have Dany and the Iron Born in Essos waiting to come over to Westeros looking to conquer it and to rule, and as Dany has been "practicing" in Meeren we know she is
ready (easily contested, I know...) to rule as well.

Both want to rule, but there is only one Iron Throne. So who will move over and let the other take it?

In my opinion, neither, and this will result in ANOTHER civil war, however this will take place mainly in the South. Winter has come and with it traveling to the North will be difficult, let alone capturing it. Stannis and the Northman will be stuck there to fight it out and see who survives the winter.

The south has the Lannisters/Baratheons and the Tyrells. Yes there are other Houses but as of right now those are the major players. If the Tyrells saw a chance to survive this and raise their House they may look towards one of the two Targaryens poised to take the land.

If Aegon sides with Dorne that won't be happening, we know Highgarden and Dorne aren't the best of friends so the question would be if they would side with Dany. If Dany isn't married or is willing to practice polygamy then they could marry either Loras or Willas. Barristan would most likely urge Dany to do this, the power of Highgarden would help her in conquering Westeros.

Myrcella is in Dorne, Tommen would be with the Tyrells so the Lannisters would be stuck in the middle with no clear leader (if Cersei is detained or killed) and the two heirs split up. The Baratheons (minor houses that sided with Renly or the Lannisters) may make some move to side with Stannis.

So we will have the southern half of the realm divided over two Targaryens, engaged in another pointless civil war while The Others prepare to take the world with ice, another Dance of the Dragons.

Why I Now Know This WILL Happen:

Today while looking around the So Spake Martin section of the Citadel I found
this

(halfway down the page) question that was asked of GRRM on November 22nd, 2003:

Fan: Hi, short question. Will we find out more about the Dance of the Dragons in future books?
GRRM: The first dance or the second?
This was from around 2003 when George had recently changed his plan from a time skip to a the current plan.

Now the "first" Dance of the Dragons is clearly the one I described at the beginning. Now the second... unless I'm mistaken, we have only seen one Dance of the Dragons.

I established before that the title A Dance with Dragons was intended to be used as a title of a novel since the beginning, showing that it has some significance. George R. R. Martin has compared his plan for the series to planning a road trip; he knows what cities he will stop at but not the gas stations he will get fuel at, restaurants he will eat at, flat tires he will get, and strangers he will meet at pit stops on the way. An event of this magnitude I'm sure would have been planned from the beginning, just like the title A Dance with Dragons

We learn about Aegon in this book as well.

So we have two dragons who could potentially become enemies, with allies poised to take up their banners.

We have George R. R. Martin saying in 2003 that a second Dance of the Dragons will be the subject of a future book and we have yet to see a book realized on this subject.

We have the Targaryen precedent set that male heirs are in front of female heirs.

We have a power vacuum now that the Lord Regent, Kevan Lannister, is dead as well as Grand Maester Pycelle.

All of this points to something big happening between Dany and Aegon, at least in my opinion.

Here are some pictures memes I wanted to share.

601614_285307108241977_1652136336_n.jpeg

198601_285302424909112_162265185_n.jpeg

36569_285297241576297_1103233549_n.jpeg

281870_285178284921526_579643210_n.jpeg

303850_284983904940964_1661368693_n.jpeg

307698_284983438274344_1639027043_n.jpeg

185114_284982474941107_1012536899_n.jpeg

408463_284981181607903_1065709221_n.jpeg

393601_284976534941701_1304073463_n.jpeg

228963_284975501608471_502033678_n.jpeg

Back