Game of Thrones Discussion Thread (Books and Show)

Base sketch for Daario :D
daario_naharis_sketch_by_damodega-d7pvzbq.jpg

As usual, it will probably pass through 3467 fix before i will call it "final version" (and even there usually is a lie lol), but here it is

daario_naharis_by_damodega-d7q1xm9.jpg

Last edited:
I see these. and they're cool. But I feel as if you can push the composition a bit more. as it is, and I noticed from all your work too is they're very straight lines. It's like the line of action on all your poses are pretty straight lines.
I would like to see you play with contraposto a bit more, but also would love to see you play with eye flow. They're mostly straight forward top/bottom, and there is no drama. no tension. no action. Just, here I am. I would love to see you play with their silhouettes a bit, and create stronger poses. They're nice work, and you have wonderful vision but you can do so much more with these.

I don't know. one day I might get into professor mode and just draw over your stuff to show you what I mean, but i know how much I hated that when my professor did that to me; and I know as an artist, I hate it when people draw over my work but still.. you have a hell of a lot of potential. Better than some of my students.

They're mostly straight forward top/bottom, and there is no drama. no tension. no action. Just, here I am.

To be honest is kinda what they are supposed to be :D
I'm making these to get into the asoiaf wiki, so while i try to give it some unique different touch to each i'm also keeping a "profile image" kind of subject
To explain i copy-paste from there, often we talk about stuff like this
Stannis_Baratheon.jpg

If was supposed to be some story-scene illustration like example a battle, yes i will try something more like this one i made
the_big_game_by_damodega-d7fctcd.jpg
Wich is still heavy subject-driven but more a 50/50

Said that, your comment is absolutely spot on, as even where i did a more action/less subject piece like this one is clear that difficulty to drop some straight strong lines (dragon and plane parallel, the rifle, the old pilot and so on) and that i feel way more comfortable with balance/symmetry, wich make it static
It probably have a lot to do with my process of work, most of times the base sketch is done in few minutes and composition get little to no love, as my instinct tend to push me straight forward to the next phase (color/refinition etc)... a lot to do with character i suppose, knowing myself i will probably have the same fun even if the start sketch is'nt even mine, as i can straight go to the part i care about :D
Very immature, i know :D

Basically i totally agree with you, but at the same time in these specific ones (as profile stuff for a wiki) i'm fine with that weakness of my style, being it compatible with that kind of illustration

I see what you're saying but look at stannis for a quick second. The focal point is his face. Because that's where the most interest lies. He's surrounded by his banners and his form leaves very little negative space. the way his banner or icon or what have you are pointed down so it brings your eyes down to the next center of interest, his hands on his sword. Of course all the straight lines force your eyes to go up and down. I'm not saying his work is better than yours but it feels like he put a little more thought into it. Or at least copied from a source that knew what they were doing.

Examining your works, not saying that it's wrong or bad. I'm saying maybe you should spend some more time with sketching out the composition. Again, play around with it more and don't just settle in and get started on the "fun" stuff. Part of the fun should be in the exploration of the drawing. Exploring your concept and "dig a little deeper". You have great talent but I feel like you can do so much more with these. This includes pose, as well as composition. Remember most great drawings are great because of its composition, not the subject matter.

Looking at your action piece, there are some brazen errors with perspective. But also because of the straight parallel lines, it succeeds in creating a sense of speed, but it also kills most of the drama. Think about it, you have a dragon chasing down a plane, and the only thing stopping it is our crazy hero and the old man's skills. Hell it could even be the other way around and the plane is hunting a dragon. Leaving it up to the imagination is a cool concept but I enjoy a finer story. And of course that's getting into personal opinion so I'll leave that part alone. But it kinda bugs me that you would just dig in without even really considering other options.

but hey, all I ask is that you play with it a little bit more. Get proper proportions and perspective right before "finalizing", and just play with the drawing a bit. It may surprise you just how much fun you have doing that. doodling ideas and stuff..

Whoooooooooooot! Seems like a fair enough compromise to me.
Yep, it's good to know they're still hurting Cersei's pride. I think it would be a really amazing touch if they brought Ned, Sansa, Lady, and the others that Cersei saw. But knowing how they treat big actors who return for "unimportant" roles, we probably won't get Ned. It'd be nice if they just showed anyone really. All of the Stark kids would be cool.

Apparently they're changing Sansa's storyline. Sophie Turner has said book readers will be surprised or something along those lines.

No Arianne Martell or Young Griff announced yet. It's been said that Jaime and Bronn are going to Dorne, too.

Yep, it's good to know they're still hurting Cersei's pride. I think it would be a really amazing touch if they brought Ned, Sansa, Lady, and the others that Cersei saw. But knowing how they treat big actors who return for "unimportant" roles, we probably won't get Ned. It'd be nice if they just showed anyone really. All of the Stark kids would be cool.

Apparently they're changing Sansa's storyline. Sophie Turner has said book readers will be surprised or something along those lines.

No Arianne Martell or Young Griff announced yet. It's been said that Jaime and Bronn are going to Dorne, too.

Well Sean Bean's excitedly stated he'd love to return - Even if just in flashbacks so, we'll see. I dunno though, seems they may focus on the three main people she saw.

Changes eh? Could be interesting, though she certainly came into her own a lot sooner than I expected so, not much of a surprise that things will be different. As for how different? We'll see.

:/ There's still time, I'm hoping they're just being choosy - Maybe the people they want are filming other stuff?

Honestly, ever since ASoS Sansa was always one of my favorites, but now Alayne has literally made me fall in love with her all over again. She slayed me. Also, Harry is an asshole for what he said, but I guess now Sansa knows what it feels like to be Jon. But literally when Alayne was playing Harry, she slayed the hell out of him. He got slayed. Slayed. She slayed him. And it was amazing. I love how Sansa is finally playing the game and learning how to manipulate people. Her thought process during her dance with Harry was very good.

I feel kinda bad for Sweetrobin. He seems less annoying now and it's cute that he wants to marry Alayne. Too bad he'll be dead soon if Petyr and the maester keep giving him that poison.

Even though Harry seemed like a narcissistic jerk at first, I think he's actually an intellectual person. It said that he was surprised and then laugh when Alayne said she hopes he jousts better than he talks. Plus, if we think about it realistically, his response to Alayne is kinda the norm in Westeros. To be a bastard is to be lesser than anyone else. He's of noble birth, handsome, and the (kinda) heir, and then they promise him to some shady dude's bastard? I'd be peeved too.

Myranda seems nice and a good friend to Alayne, but it worries me that she wanted Harry (and maybe even loves him). If things hit the fan, I don't know what Myranda will do. I don't fully trust her.

I was afraid for Alayne when she was teasing Lyn Corbray lol. He's a dangerous man and Sansa was right to think that he might only be pretending to be Petyr's creature. And if that's the case, I don't think things will end well for Alayne.

C'mon guys, we need this thread alive again! :D and idc that I double posted.

P.S. I like that Alayne is comfortable enough in her persona to finally channel Sansa through without constantly correcting herself (except with that one Ned one,). I thought it was smart of her when she thought she'd have to be wary of the pimply boy from Gulltown. Our girl's all grown up. :)

HONESTLY THOUGH FUCK D&D AND RAMSEY SNOW. LITERALLY MY LAST POST WAS ABOUT ALAYNE'S CONFIDENCE AND SASS AND THEN LITERALLY THEY DO THIS TO MY BABY. HOW. DARE. THEY. NOBODY GIVES A SHIT ABOUT JEYNE POOLE. BUT SANSA. SANSA IS BAE. SANSA ISN'T EVEN SUPPOSED TO BE THERE LIKE WHAT THE FUCK, ALAYNE, GET YOURSELF BACK TO THE BOTTOM OF THE VALE ASAP RIGHT NOW. LITTLEFINGER BETTER GET HIS ASS BACK TO WINTERFELL, AND BRIENNE AND POD BETTER SLAY THE SHIT OUT RAMSAY. THE ONLY END OF HIM THAT I WILL ACCEPT IS IF THEON SAVES SANSA AND CUTS OFF RAMSAY'S COCK AND THEN HIS FINGERS AND THEN HIS TOES AND THEN HIS FACE.

ALSO, ALAYNE BETTER SLAY THE SHIT OUT OF MIRANDA, THAT FAKE HOE. SHE NEEDS TO GO BACK TO THE STABLES BEFORE SHE BECOMES BRAN 2.0 WHEN ALAYNE PUSHES HER RATCHET SELF OUT OF THE WINDOW.

no but seriously, either Ramsey (unlikely) or Miranda (likely) need to die this season. And looking at the preview, it seems like Alayne and Reek are teaming up! Yay.

Season 5 was good I guess. I don't like how they did Sansa's story at all. Not just because I'm butthurt, but it just didn't make any sense. Here's LF, one of the smartest men in the Seven Kingdoms, and he basically tells Sansa "lolgoodluck bye". Everyone knows that the Boltons are psychos, their banner is literally a person being flayed. Leaving Sansa there being like "oh stannis will save you and if not then manipulate ramsey!!!" was just plain stupid. IMO LF should've stayed with Sansa in the Vale. Did he really need to go to King's Landing that badly? I'm sure Lancel would've told the High Sparrow of Cersei's transgressions eventually and Cersei has a habit of self-destructing. The thing that irks me the most is that they hyped the shit out of Sansa. Last season, they set her up to be a badass who has learned to lie well, manipulate, and play the game of thrones. They literally regressed her arc aaaaaall the way back to Season 2 with the domestic abuse. She couldn't even take on Myranda herself. I don't like how they had her need to rely on Theon to be saved. I would've preferred it if she would've kept that corkscrew thing, Myranda and Theon corner her, Theon makes Myranda miss her arrow, Sansa seizes the moment and stabs Myranda and then pushes her off of the walkway. Whatever I guess.

Also,
ALSO, ALAYNE BETTER SLAY THE SHIT OUT OF MIRANDA, THAT FAKE HOE. SHE NEEDS TO GO BACK TO THE STABLES BEFORE SHE BECOMES BRAN 2.0 WHEN ALAYNE PUSHES HER RATCHET SELF OUT OF THE WINDOW.

no but seriously, either Ramsey (unlikely) or Miranda (likely) need to die this season. And looking at the preview, it seems like Alayne and Reek are teaming up! Yay.
I seriously called that even if it was Theon who did it lol

5th post but idc

Back