Guts system thoughts?

Do you like the guts system?

• Total voters

linkorz

Super Moderator
I was just curious what people think of this mechanic. Would you like it to be in the next installment? Why or why not?

*EDIT* For those who don't know, Guts/Reverse Rage is a mechanic that triggers when a player has 24 health or less. It causes all attacks that do 20 damage or less to only do half of the damage they would. For example, Siegfried's 2A does 16 damage normally. With the Guts system active, it would only do 8.

Last edited:
I personally am not a huge fan of it, especially since it makes things harder for my character. Makes it difficult for sieg to sneak in that 2A finish.

I think its terrible. It hurts characters that have multi-hit moves, but not characters who have hard single hits.

For instance, if you are a character that has a single button that does two hits, both those hits add up to 32 damage, but each hit only does 18+14; then you end up doing only 16 damage. But if you are a character where a single button does only one hit that does 32 damage, it doesnt hurt you at all.

If it simply made it so that all damage before 24 health was halved, it would be fair. But in the current system, its skewed.

I think its terrible. It hurts characters that have multi-hit moves, but not characters who have hard single hits.

For instance, if you are a character that has a single button that does two hits, both those hits add up to 32 damage, but each hit only does 18+14; then you end up doing only 16 damage. But if you are a character where a single button does only one hit that does 32 damage, it doesnt hurt you at all.

If it simply made it so that all damage before 24 health was halved, it would be fair. But in the current system, its skewed.
Try being Raph and getting that dank 8 damage 6BB lol.

I agree with you though, it should be all or nothing. I understand what they were going for but it just has way too many unintended side effects. Like, why punish a certain playstyle or character for getting your health low and not another?

It's rather redundant. If I take damage to the point where I'm facing a KO from a 2K, chances are I have meter gained from taking damage that round which I can use to punish, say, an attempted 2K finisher. And that CE will have boosted damage due to my low HP. That's already two mechanics on my side; why should there be guts to double my chances of surviving long enough to land a big hit in those final moments?

Then again, the amount of damage one receives in this game is already dependent on whether one was hit while standing, crouching, guarding while standing, guarding while crouching, attacking, sidestepping, backstepping, being backturned, being airborne, being grounded, being subjected to a clean hit, ….

If i understand you correctly, then effectively all characters would just have 24 more health and strategically there wouldn't be any character specific difference.

Currently a lot of quick and safe move(s) that are 20 dmg are halved in effectiveness as round enders which seems to promote higher risk moves. I actually like this even though this generally screws over my poke-centric main

Back