Hate Speech: We Are the World

I initially had something else altogether planned for this week, but some recent discursive trends in our happy little corner of the Internet make me think I should intercede with everybody for a moment and make a few things crystal clear. I’ve said in the past, both implicitly and explicitly, that this is a very exciting time to be a fan of Soul Calibur.

We’re just weeks away from the release of what looks like it will be an amazing game, we have a solid infrastructure in place as a community that will help people meet up, compete, and improve, and plenty of folks seem legitimately interested in SC5—even people who’ve never picked up any prior SC game seriously.

Given all of those good things and the potential they represent, those of us who have been around for a long time have an obligation to maximize the benefits of all that hype to the best of our ability. Or at least we shouldn’t torpedo everything. Sounds difficult? Never fear, I’m here to share some simple rules which will help immensely.

Rule #1: This Is Not The Maury Povich Show . . .

. . . or Ricki Lake, Jerry Springer, Montel Williams, or even Tyra. A little over a decade ago, as a freshman in college, the only TV option I had was whatever network crap I could get through the half-busted antennae of my thirteen-inch entertainment powerhouse.

L8iXP.gif
Though those times are gone, the golden moments remain fixed in my mind.

Unwilling to admit defeat and, you know, actually go outside, I found myself watching a hell of a lot of daytime talk shows. A common enough topic for episodes of these shows is “You Dissed Me Then, But Now I’m a 10!” or something equally insipid. The premise: people who were once fat, awkward, or thought showering was a prissy activity reserved for the folks living on the rich side of the trailer park confront their former crushes and show off a little spandex, a lot of skin, and often plastic surgery best described as ambitious.

"So what does this have to do with us?" Well, Soul Calibur used to be a little awkward, and maybe a bit shy, too. I’m fairly certain SC3 wore braces, and we’ve all heard about that time SC4 accidentally called its homeroom teacher “Mom.” Now, however, Soul Calibur is looking kind of hot, and it seems to be generating real interest, which means we’re at a crossroads. We can either drag our old crush in front of Maury and dance around talking about how goooooood we look, how sorry everyone should be for having ignored us, and how sorry they’re going to be when we turn it around, or we can choose instead to be gracious and welcoming.

Rule #2: Be Barry Sanders

In a sense, this is an extension of the principle outlined above. Barry Sanders, one of the greatest NFL running backs of all time, wasn’t much for touchdown celebrations. He’d never score, spike the ball, then go completely nuts with taunting and chest-pounding. Sure, it’s a show of good sportsmanship, but it really seems like Barry never went over-the-top because scoring a touchdown wasn’t a very big deal to him. He scored a lot, it was easy, and he damn well knew he’d be back in the endzone very, very soon.

Ylu0D.jpg
It occurs to me only now that this would've been a more effective reference for my audience.

I’m a colossal proponent of being a sore winner when it comes to fighting games; I love the taunting, the screaming, and the boundless disrespect of it all, but there’s a time and a place—tournaments, casuals, etc. Being too defensive, too excitable, or generally too much of a jackass outside of actual games is an incredibly unpleasant thing. Many of us in this community are hopeful, and not unreasonably so, that SC5 will be a pretty big game, and there’s no denying that some of the gossip surrounding where that might take us is exciting. As a community, though, we must take it in stride and not use positive buzz as a means to bludgeon other dedicated fighting gamers in response to perceived insults. It’s ridiculously counterproductive. Our game is looking excellent and there’s talk of it going in some very high profile directions, and that’s great. Now flip the ball to the ref and get your asses off the field because it’s not even halftime yet.

Rule #3: We’re All in This Together

It may be an odd thing to see people reference the “Fighting Game Community” as though it’s one monolithic entity, but that is essentially true. Yes, we tend to define ourselves primarily in terms of the games we play, e.g. Marvel players, Tekken players, Calibur players, and so on, and there will always be friction and rivalries between these various constituencies, but look for a moment at the bigger picture. As I’ve said elsewhere, we’re all basically in the business of providing content now. Whether it’s actual tournaments, tournament streams, videos, or even silly columns, these are all experiences that, at their best, are interesting and extremely fun. When we do these things well, we have amazing tournaments, plenty of entertainment, growing pot sizes, and a growing profile. When we do them poorly, people lose interest and ultimately walk away.

The overall success or failure of any competitive game is measured by its number of players. New blood always makes us better players, increases the drama, and provides more storylines, and these same principles of growth apply to the entire fighting game genre. We will never all agree on everything (not even which games are good. . .especially not which games are good), but it’s critical that we recognize the core similarities between a Calibur player and a Street Fighter player, a Tekken player, or even a Melty Blood player are far more important than the differences. The current fighting game renaissance in which we find ourselves, in fact, is directly attributable to the overwhelming success of Street Fighter 4 and its 500 or so revisions**. A rising tide lifts all boats, as they say. Like it or not, we are the FGC, and it’s imperative we recognize that truth.

h1f2e.jpg
**NO HATES NO! WHAT DOES SF4 HAVE TO DO WITH MY PRECIOUS SOUL CALIBUR!

Looking Forward

Unpleasant as it may be to say, the Soul Calibur community sometimes behaves as though it has a bit of an inferiority complex. Now that it looks like we’re riding high, it’s perhaps tempting to tweak the nonbelievers out there, but I beg of you, don’t. Namco looks to be holding up their end of the bargain by investing a great deal of time and effort into giving us the best game possible—a deep, engaging experience that is fun for players and spectators alike. It’s time for us to do our part by actively reaching out to others, growing our community, and capitalizing on all of the hype surrounding SC5 rather than acting like petulant little children.

Leave the past in the past, and if you’re concerned about how other fighting gamers feel about us, make an effort to bring them into the fold. After all, no one’s as zealous as a convert, and recruitment is the best revenge. All of the opportunities we may have, all of the grandiose dreams, and the like can only happen if we grow as a community, and we grow as a community by bringing people in, not by shutting them out.

Homework
Go get somebody hype about SC5. Seriously. I don’t care if they’re dedicated to other games or if they’ve never even heard of tournaments before. Just find someone you know and share your own excitement, talk about the game, whatever it takes. We win by growing and having fun, not by being insular little pricks.

The caption on the 2nd picture in this article elicited a laugh. Mr. Hates loves anime, after all, IIRC. Something about a metaphor for colonialism in the Far East? ;)

What's up, Hates? Glad to see you've got something to say.

The caption on the 2nd picture in this article elicited a laugh. Mr. Hates loves anime, after all, IIRC. Something about a metaphor for colonialism in the Far East? ;)

What's up, Hates? Glad to see you've got something to say.

Cynan! Glad to see you here. I have plenty to say--tune in every Monday for more onanistic rambling!

I'm not surprised by the presence of a large group who recognize the pitfalls of insularity. My largest concern is that people who think that way often lack opportunities to express it. We, as players, need to take a more active role in determining our own discourse, to get all fancy about it. Basically, it's time we gave ourselves permission to get along with one another to a degree and unite in our efforts to raise the profiles of all competitive fighters.
The problem is (at least, IMHO) that the competitive nature of players extends to relationships between the games' communities. People are too caught up trying to say that so-and-so game is superior.

The problem is (at least, IMHO) that the competitive nature of players extends to relationships between the games' communities. People are too caught up trying to say that so-and-so game is superior.
That's definitely a factor, but I think our competitiveness is, on balance, a good thing for us. Really we're just bumping up against some basic, universal issues of group dynamics. Fighting games bring together a lot of disparate folks, so there's bound to be friction and contentiousness from time to time, but I believe these differences will ultimately prove themselves to be strengths.

Apples and Oranges, people. Be sure to retort to elitists with answers of mystic possibilities - in that, Calibur is its own beast, just like whatever game they may play. Do try to find positive similarities between your game and theirs, rather than differences, and nurture their hopefully peaked interest carefully.

Nobody responds well to negativity in any fashion.

That said: DON'T FUCK THIS UP ASSHOLES.

In my recent experience, and I happen to be an admin for our local 2d community, alot of the players here are on the fence about SC5 until after they see the game in action or play it for themselves. From the videos they see they are expecting SC4 with more bells and whistles.

I plan to be the one that allows them to have their first experiences with the game by taking it with me to their weekly SF gatherings so they can play it for awhile. I wouldn't be playing it against them. I'll just be there to explain how the game works and answer any questions they might have, without getting directly involved by beating them up. Hopefully with this kind of exposure to the game, they'll be more interested and perhaps excited to play it again. So much so that they'll look for me to bring it the following week or they'll go out and get it for themselves. I've only managed to get a few people wanting to learn the game by bringing them aboard the hype train during the last few weeks. I am sure for my area it will be much easier to get new players by taking the game to where the SF players meet up and letting them play it. They've been open minded with the other fighting games that came out recently so this should be no different.

being a long time supporter of fighting games in general(offline) its good to see people from other communities come together and actually bond rather then increase the distance between them. This Article like others in the past usually get swept under the rug sort to speck because alot of folk think because it isn't "news" it isn't important, however we all know that isn't the case in the slightest.

I wished articles liked these showed up more often...but even great speeches like these do no good if people are not being more open minded about things...i think that's a issue that does need to reflected on....you know, the increasing amount of online "trolling" and overall jackassery around the net, as there is no need to be disrespectful....it just makes the community look bad as a whole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philmckrackon
Back