HolyCarp: Imagination and Free Time (a CaS Gallery)

HolyCarp

[14] Master
I do seem to be spending a lot of time on CaS, so it's probably about time I made a gallery.
Please tell me what you think of my characters - constructive criticism is always welcome!

I'll start with mainly a few that I posted in a previous thread for those who haven't seen them.

Faust
a.png

Faust.jpg

Protagonists don't need socks.

Faust2.jpg

Did you notice: I used Basic Pattern 1 to add different shades to the neck scarf, which kind of changes the look of the material itself.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_63.jpg

He forgot to button up his sleeves during the photoshoot. How embarrassing.

Faust3.jpg

Even while malfested, there are no socks.

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_66.jpg

Did you notice: I coloured part of the face paint a skin tone to make the eyes look even more hypnotic.
Once a young, ambitious Weaponsmith, Faust made swords for some of the most legendary swordsmen of his time. However, he could not escape his desire to be more than just a sword-maker; he longed to be the greatest fighter, wielding the most powerful blade he could forge. After hearing legends of "The Hero Sword", Faust began his search for this mysterious blade, but what he found was not the "Hero Sword" he had heard of... At once, Faust became possessed by the Cursed Sword and by his irrepressible ambition.

Ariel
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_41.jpg

*updated: 25/7/12*
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_44.jpg

"Stop staring at the heart in the middle of my chest!"
"...erm, yeah. That's what I was staring at"

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_43.jpg

Thanks, Fliptop, for suggesting the use of a gradient on the wings.

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_42.jpg

Did you notice: I made the body art slightly lighter than her skin so it appears as if it's glowing.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_80.jpg

"See, no socks! Am I a protagonist now?"

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_81.jpg

Without blindfold:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_82.jpg

Comparison:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_4.png

Did you notice: The obvious references to The Tempest.

Havisham
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_37.jpg

*updated: 25/7/12*
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_38.jpg

No one had the guts to tell her that it was a bit unorthodox to bring Pyrrha's cursed sword as her something borrowed.

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_40.jpg

Did you notice: not only does the sticker create blood splatters, but it also gives the appearance of running mascara. Her eyes are slightly red as though she's been crying too.
You can probably guess from her appearance (or if you know the origins of the name Havisham) that she is a bride who was left at the altar. Of course, I like my characters with a little bit of psycho, so I decided that her reaction to being jilted would be to massacre the wedding reception.

Nakale
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_74 1.jpg

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_72.jpg

I think I just wanted an excuse to use the afro...
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_74.jpg

Did you notice: The bird stickers on her torso occasionally catch the light and appear gold instead of brown.

I'll probably upload more soon; and again, please share your honest opinions of my characters.

Also, if anyone wants to fight my characters online, I won't have SCV for a month or so but feel free to add me on PSN and you can see some of them in action :)

I really liked your gallery... but I loved this Nakale... reminded me a little to Diana from Dungeons and Dragons cartoon (one of my favorites cartoon when I was a kid)

Very cool collection! They seem very well designed ... your color schemes fit the emotion of the characters quite well.

Good taste overall, like it too !
Nothing over-the-top original (the themes : vampires, afro soldier, angel are pretty standard), but good guy/girl gone bad is a nice touch, and your art direction is solid...
like me, you seem to like blooooOOOOOOOood....
lol !

I like the designs but I think gladiator afro woman needs more muscle.

First character secound costume remembers me Johnny Deep in his last movie. Tim Burton would be proud of you LOL

johnny-depp-dark-shadows.jpg

First character secound costume remembers me Johnny Deep in his last movie. Tim Burton would be proud of you LOL

johnny-depp-dark-shadows.jpg
glad im not the only one who thought this

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I really appreciate them.

like me, you seem to like blooooOOOOOOOood....
lol !
Haha, yeah I noticed the same effect on your Harley Quinn.
Nothing like a few horrific blood splatters to make your CaS look really badass! xD

First character secound costume remembers me Johnny Deep in his last movie.
Yeah, I was torn between muscle mass of 2 and 3 for her. I only settled on 2 because 3 seemed to make her look too manly. Maybe because of the face I used for her.

Oh wow! I didn't know there was another Tim Burton film coming out.
If you want Jonny Depp likeness, I have a character who looks suspiciously like Edward Scissorhands...
I know the outfit needs a bit of work, but I like his terrifying appearance:

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_78.jpg

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_79.jpg

I hope you like Elves, because I've been making them by the bucketload. They all have background stories that kinda link to each other so I'll post them together...

Aerin:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_124.jpg

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_97.jpg

Did you notice: She wears helmet ornaments as earrings (the earring equipment has been used as an eyebrow ring).
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_98.jpg

The outfit is pretty similar, but I wanted to take away some of the harshness of the 1P design and introduce some more colour.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_100.jpg

Did you notice: The ruby on her necklace isn't part of the "Gothic Jewellery" I used - it's actually made from special equipment.
Born into an Elven royal family, Aerin is the current princess of her providence. As a child she idolised her older brother, Elden, the former prince who dreamed of changing the way in which the poor inhabitants were neglected and treated like dirt. However Elden was tragically assassinated, leaving Aerin to inherit his sword and his next in line position to the throne. Her brother was a pacifist who never unsheathed his sword, even in the face of death. Like Elden, Aerin vows that her inherited blade would remain unsheathed as her brother would have wanted; instead it would serve as a reminder of her brother's unfulfilled dreams that she must bring to fruition when she gains her rightful title as the Queen.

Elden:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_104.jpg

Admittedly, the embossed loincloth was a tradition that didn't last too long among the Elven Princes.

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_105.jpg

Did you notice: I used Modern Pattern 15 on all the sapphire gems in his outfit; it's hard to see in pictures, but it adds a pretty cool sparkly effect on small items.
Unlike his father, Elden believed that everyone deserved a fair quality of life, and that problems are not solved with swords and violence. He refused to allow his ideals to be stained upon the blade of his sword and consequently lived his life without ever unsheathing his blade - not even when faced with his murderer.

Feyrus:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_107.jpg

His outfit is still unfinished. I'm struggling to work out a way of making the costume as sinister as the face, while still making him look like a king.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_126.jpg

I'm still not sure about the colour scheme. There's still something not quite right about the outfit...

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_121.jpg

Did you notice: Feyrus doesn't have eyebrows.
After the mysterious death of his mother, Aerianne, Feyrus began his reign as the feared King of the providence (I really need to think of a name for this place). He rules with an inhuman apathy towards the well-being of all inhabitants.

Aerianne:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_102.jpg

I think I might make her dress a bit darker, and add some red to her sword.

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_122.jpg

Did you notice: Her necklace is made from Helmet Ornaments and a cone.
Aerianne, Feyrus' mother and Aerin's Grandmother, was once the Queen of [unnamed providence] until she died in unknown circumstances. Since her death, the quality of life for inhabitants of the providence has drastically diminished to such an extent that many Elves are now keen to overthrow the tyranny of Feyrus.

Very intriguing. The angel one with glowy skin and both Fausts kinda captivate Pocky Yoshi. The rest are pleasant to look at as well. Overall, Pocky Yoshi awaits more CAS from thee.

There are two things that I just love about CaS right now:

One of them is the fact that I've spent time (before I even had this 8WR account) gawking at other people's creations, in amazement of their work. And now these same people are actually complimenting my designs!

The other thing I love is creating Yoshimitsu CaS with Mitsurugi's style and fighting online opponents who have a mic so I can listen to them say things like "I've never seen that move before!" until they finally realise it's not Yoshimitsu.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_90.jpg

(more elven CaS to be uploaded soon)

There are two things that I just love about CaS right now:

One of them is the fact that I've spent time (before I even had this 8WR account) gawking at other people's creations, in amazement of their work. And now these same people are actually complimenting my designs!

The other thing I love is creating Yoshimitsu CaS' with Mitsurugi's style and fighting online opponents who have a mic so I can listen to them say things like "I've never seen that move before!" until they finally realise it's not Yoshimitsu.

(more elven CaS to be uploaded soon)

and its well deserved

I SWEAR I've commented on your first post's characters before... but I guess I'll say it again here: awesome blood work, and Ariel looks pretty cool.

Your second run of characters also have some pretty interesting aspects to them. Overall, you clearly know what you're doing :D

Thou can't fool Pocky Yoshi. >3
Haha, I didn't think it'd fool you! But with the shortage of Yoshi players online, it's surprising how many people fall for it, even if it's only for a few seconds.

I SWEAR I've commented on your first post's characters before... but I guess I'll say it again here: awesome blood work, and Ariel looks pretty cool.
Your second run of characters also have some pretty interesting aspects to them. Overall, you clearly know what you're doing :D
Yeah, I remember you did. Sorry about making another thread, but at least this way I'll be able to post all the characters I want to share on here.
I'm glad you like them ^^

Okay, time for a couple more elves now. I've already made the royal family, so here are a couple of the inhabitants of this currently nameless providence which is remaining as such because I lack the imagination/inspiration to come up with a cool name.

Both of the 1P outfits could do with a bit more work, so I'll probably update them when I get the opportunity.

Trysten:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_110.jpg

I plan on adding a few more stickers to add texture and to make his clothes look old and worn out.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_111.jpg

Did you notice: I used basic pattern 1 on his head equipment to make the rim of the hat darker than the rest of the hat.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_112.jpg

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_113.jpg

Did you notice: Combining the Ryukyu Regent hairstyle (the one Maxi has) with a hat will make your character look less like an Elvis impersonator.
Tristan is a young, ambitious archer who hates taking orders from others; a personal trait which manifests itself in his contempt for those with authority. He finds himself unable to stomach the heartless apathy of King Feyrus and he constantly dreams of how he will eventually prove that the elves of [nameless place] are not insignificant creatures to be casually discarded.

One day, Trysten runs into a mysterious elf named Nynette. After an initial clash of personalities, she convinces him to lead this rebellion that he so frequently dreams of.

Although his intentions are good, Trysten is willing to do whatever it takes to put an end to the royal family's reign.

Nynette:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_114.jpg

Again, I may try to make the clothes look a little more worn when I get the chance.
And she should really have Natsu's style, not Pyrrha's.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_115.jpg

Did you notice: I applied a blotchy pattern to her tunic in order to make it look dirty.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_117.jpg

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_118.jpg

Did you notice: Her clothes have the modern pattern 15 to add texture to the outfit.
Abandoned at birth, Nynette was adopted by an old man who was well versed in martial arts. He taught Nynette everything she knows about fighting and raised her to be independent - to always fend for herself and never to rely on others because ultimately, she is the only person who can realise her dreams.

Nynette discovers that her bitter sentiments towards the royal family for forcing her to live a life of poverty and deprivation are echoed by another elf named Trysten. With time, she slowly develops feelings for this man, yet she is conflicted by her father's teachings of independence. She fears that if she is to truly open up to him, her affection would be answered with apathy and she would be abandoned yet again.

As usual, please let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions/names for an elven providence! ^^

I loved these elves, both with delicate designs, simple and perfect for this style
I think Nynette would look cool in Natsu's style also

Hey bro I heer u liek elffs.

This is a great gallery with lots of little subtleties and declicate touches.

Faust (Malfested) is suitably evil looking. I really like the subtle purples and golds, they really give a sense of maliciousness. The hydra-like head decoration is very unique and the snake theme runs strongly throughout (even his face, which has those nice fang-like details around his mouth).

Ariel so pwetty. Really nice use of stickers on her body (and legs? you used tights you cheater!) gives her an ethereal feeling with being too try-hard. You could maybe try using Pattern 1 (gradient thing) on her wings to give them more colour or depth if you fancied it. It's definitely not a huge thing but if you wanna 'speriment...'speriment with that. Really nice an delicate design overall.

Havisham's got really nice facial details like the mascara and that tree sticker for some sort of artery spurting blood effect. I'm not a huge user of blood but I can appreciate the creepiness it can add to a design.

Elden probably one of the least threatening characters I've seen. He's certainly grand and regal with his baby blue details, however. He's a pacifist and you convey that rather well with this look. I don't know if was by accident or the way the clothes fit together or if it was deliberate but the fact he's a bit chubby around the waist makes him seem even less of a fighter. Not that it's comical or anything, it's just an interesting detail.

The Yoshimitsurugi is probably one of the most dickish- yet brilliant- uses of that flag I've seen. Maybe you could make a Nightmare with Sieg's moveset to further your dickish-yet brilliant- ways.

I'll reserve comment for your last two since they're still works in progress. All I'd say is "finish'em!"...which I just said anyway. They have nice foundations, though.

ha, if i ever got the chance to sleep with your (female) elves...mmm...i know, this will be modded
Haha, this has to be the strangest compliment my CaS have had! Though I have to admit, there is something weirdly attractive about Nynette...

*merciless snip*
Detailed message requires detailed answer. As I seem to be doing with everything in this thread, I shall put it in A SPOILER!
I heer u liek elffs

Ha, weirdly enough I don't like making elves as it means I only get 2 special equipment slots thanks to the damn ears. I like to have mini CaS projects though, and I guess I just got a little carried away with this elf one.

Anyhoo, thanks for leaving such an in-depth chunk of feedback, I do appreciate it.

(and legs? you used tights you cheater!)
Slander! Ariel's not wearing tights - the stickers are placed directly onto her legs the old fashioned way.
Yes, that gradient idea for the wings is not a bad shout actually. Thanks, I'll try that out.

I don't know if was by accident or the way the clothes fit together or if it was deliberate but the fact he's a bit chubby around the waist makes him seem even less of a fighter

Yeah, that was accidental due to the clothing. I wanted him to be skinny but I didn't fancy changing the equipment as that was the first time I've ever made the Roman Loincloth work in an outfit, not to mention how long it took to pattern the actual loincloth part at the front using only 4 stickers.

Maybe you could make a Nightmare with Sieg's moveset

Haha, I'm so doing that when I get my ps3 back! Though I worry that it won't look enough like Nightmare without the hideous mutated arm. Sieg with Nightmare's moveset is also possible since there's a preset face perfect for Sieg, and facial scars are now possible. I reckon if I get the DLC, I'll have to make a Viola with Devil Jin's moveset (but including a patterned floating sphere in front of her for the orb).

Back