How to record gameplay?

Darkmoonlight

[13] Hero
Hello I am trying to record gameplay on my ps3 (not in HD) through my laptop. Do you know the simplest cheapest way I could do so? My tv is "Sharp" namebrand with only two inputs (they are currently used for my ps3)

what kind of quality are you looking for?

if quality doesn't matter, then sc5 can convert your replays into 360p quality videos for youtube ... and that's free.

if you're looking for hd, then hd pvr is around $200 new, just need that plus some ps3 component cables and you're set.

The cheapest method would be the FREE PS3 built-in feature that lets you save Replay files as .MP4s. But this method will be limited to online matches since I don't think you can save replays of offline matches.

EZCAP is also another decent cheap device: http://www.ezcap.tv/

somewhat related- how are you supposed to make it work with an ASUS VH236 ("EVO TV")?

I mean... short of a Blackmagic and some spiffy setup...

also, %^&*ing HDCP...

the only way to record through hdmi is with an hdfury and dvdo edge... which cost $200-400 [depending on version] and $500-700, respectively. I love my setup :D

otherwise you will have to record using component cables... so there will most likely be lag ... probably best to record from replays instead of live.

what recording device / setup are you using ?

I'm recording my offline matches in HD and all of the equipment (ignoring my laptop) + post and packaging/shipping cost me £16.99 (About $20) so how do you figure that?
If you want the links to each bit I'll PM you the URL (They do ship from singapore though and it takes a while to arrive, heh)

I'm recording my offline matches in HD and all of the equipment (ignoring my laptop) + post and packaging/shipping cost me £16.99 (About $20) so how do you figure that?
If you want the links to each bit I'll PM you the URL (They do ship from singapore though and it takes a while to arrive, heh)

sure, let me ask you a few questions about that then

- by "HD", I'm assuming you're recording 720p, right?
- are you recording HD directly from hdmi on your ps3? or are you using component [rgb] cables?
- what is the standard bitrate your device records in? and the maximum bitrate?
- what device are you using ?

you also live in the UK, right? ... I'm not sure what kind of devices they have there, but the information I posted is regarding US equipment. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but just asking since hdcp on the ps3 prevents recording through hdmi connections ... so your device may bypass hdcp [which is illegal in the US ... and I'm assuming everywhere else]

synraii:

I just checked out your youtube channel and though the youtube option of "720p" is available, the recording is not 720p [unless you recently bought a new recording setup]. it looks a lot more like composite video:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Synraii?feature=watch

the video frame is chopped and actually looks closer to a re-scaled 480p [of actual game-screen viewing area]. composite [yellow,red,white wire] and rf coaxial cables are the only connectors that I know of that are capable of producing the rainbow color effect when attempting to produce a white color for text ...

here is an example of the hauppauge's hd-pvr quality:

here is an example of blackmagic shuttle's quality:

both of the videos were recorded in 720p, but re-scaled to 1080p ... since youtube's 720p quality limit is lower than their 1080p limit. [toggle between 720p and 1080p and you'll probably see a difference].

~~~

in the end, it really all depends on how much you want to spend for an hd recording setup. unless you don't care about it being hd and like I posted way up above ... converting replays to 360p is free using the ps3 / sc5 game software.

Back