Interview Time! Episode 6: 8WayRunners

Some time ago, when Polish football team coach was looking for players for the national team for Euro 2012 he said he would try everyone. Yes, everyone. Obviously, he didn't. It was no suprise, however, that was quite an interesting idea.

Now how about I decided to interview you? Yes - you, precisely. You, who are reading this. You - member of the SC community.

slide.jpg

One thing I'd like to ask first: 1 person = 1 post. No comments, only your own answers.

Now let's jump to the questions:

1. How did you start your SC journey?
2. When and why did you join 8WayRun.com?
3. Are you following the competitive community, or maybe you prefer being a casual player?
4. Do you watch SC tournament streams?
5. Is SC the only fighting game you are interested in?
6. What controller do you mind yourself more comfortable with?
7. Are you satisfied with SCV?
8. Are you looking forward more to another installment or maybe an enhanced version of SCV?
9. Who would you like to see interviewed in the upcoming episoded of the Interview Time! ?

I started the month after SCII released on Gamecube.
I joined 8wayrun a year ago in July, I joined to follow up news on SCV
I want to become competitive, so I did some online tourneys.
Yes I watch them.
I play naruto generations, street fighter x tekken, super smash bros, street fighter, I want to play Mortal Kombat, and thats all :D
A ps2 controller, I hate fighting sticks. They are way to difficult for me to handle.
I hoped for more and had more expectations such as an amazing talim and what not, otherwise I like it and enjoy it.
Yes very much so, I just hope they make enough money to do so.
Me :D

1. I started playing Soul Calibur 2 casually, and continued with SC3.
2. I had lurked for a while, and joined some time around when Leixia and Raphael were announced. This forum has definitely been very helpful for developing new strategies.
3. I'm a pretty casual player at the moment, but I really need to join a scene. Online gets boring after a while.
4. I usually do watch streams, especially for major events.
5. I like SSF4, but I really suck at it. I'd like to improve my game but can't play it right now due to computer issues.
6. I actually liked the Gamecube pad the best. It certainly isn't good for all characters, though. The 360 pad certainly isn't perfect, but I can work with it.
7. I like the gameplay, but I wish there was a little more single player content and/or collectibles.
8. I know we probably won't be seeing any substantial DLC. I just hope the franchise will continue to survive.
9. There should be an interview bonanza around the Evo period. Otherwise an interview with any tournament player is interesting to read.

1. When SCIV came with my Xbox arcade.
2. I lurked for a while then joined November of last year (it was ironically on my mother's birthday)
3. I'm competitive but I have much to learn and need to find a scene again. Nothing beats playing people offline.
4. I love watching the streams when time allows it.
5. I'm getting into VF quite a bit.
6. A 360 pad with small click action buttons (helps me do 1F slides better).
7. No, I don't like it when a sword going through my opponent causes me to lose money.
8. I would love to see a SCVI.
9. I'm not picky. :D

1. Soul Blade was the first game I bought on PlayStation, I have been a fan ever since... Good ol' memories!
2. It was around the time SCV was announced, I was searching for new information, and since 8WR is quite the reference about the series...
3. I'm rather a casual player. I enjoy the series for its stories and its depth, I happen to play online, sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, that's just it, I enjoy the game.
4. Not really, I'm not fond of watching other people play. Sounds selfish, but I'd rather take part in the action.
5. I like fighting games in general, but they need that "special touch" to interest me. I play UMvC3, Tekken (yet I'm less and less interest in it), Dissidia... Good fighting games (when I say good, I mean in my eyes) are hard to find these days.
6. The normal controllers (and I like the PS3 controller best), I'm faster with them than an arcade stick.
7. The gameplay and graphics are awesome, yet characters lack depth, story lacks... Just lacks, and I regret the fact we were promised many things and got nothing. But in general, I'm satisfied and I would buy a possible sequel.
8. A sequel or a "Super Complete SCV" would both suit me, so BRING IT ON, PS!
9. No one in particular, first and last places are players, and every player deserve their moment of glory! :)

1: I started with SC II, back when I was just a kid with a PS2. My parents were very strict about what they'd let me play and watch. One day at EB games, I managed to sneak Soul Calibur in under the radar. I was hooked. There was this red ninja with big boobies and she made me feel warm and fuzzy inside when I looked at her. I never played a human opponent for fear of my parents finding out about the jiggly breasts.

2; Years later, I picked up SC III and started to take it more seriously. I found out about 8wayrun while searching for guides,and found myself practicing combos and legitimately learning Cassandra and Xianghua. After that, I got serious about learning and practicing Xianghua up through SCIV, where I really took off with the series.

3: I try to attend as many tournaments as I can, but work, school, and my girlfriend keep me pretty busy most weekends.

4: I typically won't watch streams, but I often watch replays of certain players after the tournaments are over.

5: I play SSFIV: AE, but when SCV came out, I mostly dropped it for the return of my favorite game series of all time.

6: I use an arcade stick (8 button) now, but up thought SCIV I used an ordinary controller.

7: I love the game, but I'm very disappointed in how the game was rushed. The story is clearly unfinished (by a long shot), and the balancing reflects this as well. Overall, I think the game is still worthy of my time, given that the developers continue to support and upgrade the game as time goes on.

8: Nothing would make me happier than to see "Soul Calibur V: Critical Edge Edition", complete with a finished and polished story, new characters (Zasalamel and Talim especially), and a well-tested set of balancing changes. New stages, new modes, and the old school style gallery and exhibition mode would be welcome too.

9: I'd like to see an interview with Kalas, of the Leixia soul arena.

2:

I've been playing SC casually since SCII, but the first game I've taken competitively is SCV. In fact its the first game I've ever taken competitively!

I heard about 8WR from the all of the interviews and pre-release chatter about SCV. I joined the site right before the game came out to meet my fellow SC players and get involved in the competitive community. I decided to main Hilde within a few days of getting the game and the boards have been extremely helpful in my journey and growth as a competitive player.

3. Are you following the competitive community, or maybe you prefer being a casual player?
I am a competitive player, and I have competed in 2 majors to date for SCV - Toryuken and MATIX. I also post a significant amount on the Hilde boards and I spend most of my time in training mode discovering new tech and ways to counter certain characters with her.

Yes, I have watched almost all of the streams for the majors so far. It is better than watching TV haha :).

As of right now I only play SCV and MK9, though I am interested in VF5:FS and P4:A..

Initially I played on a pad, but some of the inputs (such as grab breaking, holding Hilde's charges, and quick steps) proved extremely difficult so I switched to stick.

Yes, I think the game is extremely well designed. One of the reasons I was interested in SCV was because of the fact that everything felt new to both veterans and rookies alike. It was easy for a new player (like me) to join the old schoolers because we all learned the new mechanics at the same time.
I think there are some problems with the game, such as some tracking issues and minor glitches, but there is nothing that seems to be extremely unbalanced or broken yet. I think it is possible for any character to win a tournament really.

8. Are you looking forward more to another installment or maybe an enhanced version of SCV?
Hmm, at this point I don't really know. I'm pretty satisfied with SCV the way it is, and I think making a new game to add 2 characters and a balance patch wouldn't really be worth it at this point. I think consistent patching of the game is all that is really needed to keep the game competitive and fresh.

9. Who would you like to see interviewed in the upcoming episoded of the Interview Time! ?
There are so many great players that deserve a chance to be intereviewed, so I'll just list some of my favourites:
OmegaDR
Ramon
Partisan
RTD
Keev

1. I started with SCIII, I always loved how Sophitia and Cassandra fight and I started training them

2. I don't remember but this year since I started to follow Soul Calibur since the launch of SCV

3. Casual player

4. If I remember them yea

5. No, I actually prefer Mortal Kombat, but this is a good one as well

6. PS3 controller

7. It's amazing, but i'm disappointed in the characters balance, I think it's the biggest mistake of this game. The offline mode is lacking.

8. I'd be happy if they made a "Legendary Souls" version of the game, in which you can use the first weilders of the styles, I mean instead of a mimic elysium we can play sophitia, instead of alpha patroklos we can play setsuka, you understand... it must have some balance changes of course.

9. Any sophitia/pyrrha omega veteran player must be interviewed.

I started my SC Journey when I found a Souledge v.1 arcade machine in a local Walmart back in the summer of 96.

I joined two years ago because I wanted to learn more about how the game works. I had no idea about framedata, safe and unsafe moves, and lag tactics until I came here.

I'm semi-competative, mostly casual. Once in a while I'll attend an event in Orlando. I will be trying to at least make the yearly CEO from now on.

Only sometimes, Enkindu's stream is much more fun to watch IMO.

HA! No, I started with SF2 like most people in the arcades, and have followed the series, until it hit SFIVAE, then I lost complete interest. Love the old school fighters though like Battle Arena Toshinden, the Souledge knockoff.

PS3, much more comfortable on my hands than an Xbox or Stick and I can execute any move using it.

Mostly, I think there's a lot that needs to be fixed (Sieg whiffing, wtf), and they should start releasing DLC characters like Talim, Rock/Bango, and Zas.

I'll buy either one of them, I love this series.

Enkindu!

One thing I'd like to ask first: 1 person = 1 post. No comments, only your own answers. [Aw -- but this could be a fun discussion starter! Maybe another thread for discussion of answers?]

Now let's jump to the questions:

I attend a small rpg/board/video gaming convention every year called Dexcon (oddly enough, in the same hotel as EC Throwdown will be this year, one thing that helped me decide to go). Since around 2005, they've held a multi-round Soul Calibur tournament every year there, and since it was held in a public space (it isn't any more, but we get an audience anyway, often) I would stop and watch. It looked gorgeous, but I didn't own a console and knew I couldn't compete. However, one year I tried it -- and it was a lot of fun; almost as much as I'd imagined.

Prior to SCIV coming out, then, I purchased a PS3 system and played through SCII and III, picking up a terrible Talim (I ringed myself out a lot for some reason), and have participated in Dexcon's bi-annual (there's a sister con called Dreamation in the winter) tournaments ever since. With IV, Talim was perceptably slower than she'd been, so I gravitated to Amy; with V, Amy was gone and while I tried Viola, she was too combo-centric for me to get good at quickly and wasn't working well for me, so I shifted to Natsu.

When IV came out, I decided to take the game a bit more seriously, and so looked around to research the movelists; following 8WR pretty much from it's moment of creation. I didn't post much until I got more comfortable, though--this place can be a bit intimidating.

That's a complicated question. I've never been to a "real" tournament (although I supposed I'll break that streak this weekend) although I got good enough with Amy (after getting schooled at a casuals in upstate; thanks, Ramon, DK, etc) to regularly make the semifinals at Dexcon. But I did watch the entire MLG NYC stream on replay, so I guess at this point I'm following the competitive community.

Sometimes. See above.

Yeah. I did place SFII way back in high school, but I've never taken another fighting game seriously, and unless SC were to die or become unfun, I can't see doing so; I only have so much time to train, after all, and a lot of other hobbies.

Stick.

Define "satisfied". I think it's easily the best of the Soul games on a competitive level (at least as far as I can determine it). On the other hand, it's missing gle glorious wealth of single player content that added to the fun of II and III (4 also gave only slip service to 1p content, though it gave slightly -more- lip service to same) and it's missing a fair number of convenience features present in earlier versions as well (remapping multi controller support, ability to vary # of rounds in a match or handicap, etc). Plus while the balance is certainly an improvement over prior versions with infinites, basement tier characters, etc, it could certainly be improved.

So I like it, but there's always room for improvement.

8. Are you looking forward more to another installment or maybe an
enhanced version of SCV?

Depends on what's in it -- but sure!

Ramon! Actually, an interview with Hates would be circular, but interesting.

My first Soul Calibur game was SC2 for PS2. I played casually until SC5; I was part of the competitive fighting game scene then, and eagerly awaited SC5's release as I found that 2d fighters were simply not clicking with me.
I joined after the release of SC5 in order to participate in the community, and learn with people.
Both, at the same time, mutually inclusive.
Yes, and I also watch and occasionally participate in the 24/7 stream as well.
My first competitive fighting game was BlazBlue. I branched out from there to Guilty Gear, Street Fighter, and Marvel. Street Fighter didn't click with me, and Marvel was just way too broken for me to like. I am presently interested in Skullgirls, Virtua Fighter 5, and Tekken Tag 2. (In addition to SC5, of course.)
I have a dual-modded six-button pad that I bought from Gummowned at this year's PowerUp. I love it; it was well worth the purchase.
Nearly. I feel like the game is well-balanced, but the outliers, both in terms of the stupidly good and cringingly bad, really hurt the game. I also want a better long skirt for my character, damnit.
Absolutely yes. I'd be pumped for either.
I think Kalas would be a good choice.

1. Playing in the arcade
2. About a week after its creation... Jaxel told me to join and the site worked, so I did
3. I compete and I always will even if I turn into a pot moster... Like SC4
4. I am SCV tournament streams
5. Nope, I'm into all sorts of other eSports games... But I guess VF is the only other fighter I'm really interested in
6. TE until death do us part
7. Yes, I still want a proper patch and hopefully a new iteration of the game next year.
8. Hell yes!
9. ME MOTHERFUCKER! Other interesting heads would be guys like aris, RTD, KrayzieCD, Xeph, KDZ, IdleMind, Heaton... Probably plenty more but I'm blanking for the time being.

I saw a magazine segment on Soul Calibur II many years ago. Back then I was a Tekken addict who didn't have any interest in other fighting games. When I saw that Heihachi, a Tekken character, was playable in this game I thought I'd give it a try. However, I forgot about the game soon after and It wasn't until a couple of years later that I remembered it and asked for it for Christmas. I didn't realise that SCIII was out so my parents decided to get me that game instead since it was newer. At first I was disappointed that I couldn't beat up fools with Heihachi but I soon forgot about that and fell in love with the game.

I joined 8WR soon after I got SCIV. I didn't get my PS3 until half a year after the game came out so I fell a bit behind. Many people online mentioned the name and I became interested. I joined in May or June 2009 and have loved it ever since.

I want to be competitive but I fear that since my main character is banned in some parts of Europe, I won't be able to compete. I'm not saying I'm good enough to play with the best in Europe but I'm worried that soon all European countires will ban Dampierre and I don't want to find another main. I'll follow the competitive scene regardless since I find the game to be a ton of fun.

I watch all Major tournaments of SCV and a couple of Local ones here and there. While it may not have the "hype" of some games like UMVC3 I still find it great to watch.

Like I've said, Tekken was my main game throughout my childhood. I have all Tekken games except some handheld ports. Despite my love for the series, I absoultely hate Tekken 6. The mechanics in that game are just far too dumb and movesets are growing out of control. I will be getting TTT2 simply because I'm willing to give the series another try. I won't take the game seriously though. Other than Tekken, I also enjoy watching other 3D fighters like VF5 . I'll be trying out DoA5 this year and we'll see how it goes. I like watching 2D fighters but I hate playing them.

The Playstaion pad is the only thing I've ever used to play fughting games. It just works so well. All the buttons are easy to reach and aren't scattered around. I doubt I'll ever get an arcade stick.

I'm satisfied with most aspects of SCV. Despite it's flaws, the netcode is brilliant for an online warrior such as myself. The pace being faster felt weird at first but I'm used to it and I actually like it more now. Obviously the balance isn't perfect but it's pretty damn good by SoulCalibur's standards. My main gripe is the terrible singleplayer that the game offers. The story is short, doesn't include most of the cast and gives off a creepy sense of incest between the two main characters. Legenday souls has stupid AI that doesn't help improve a player in the slightest and all the modes that were common in the past like Team Battle are absent. But really, I didn't buy the game for the single player. I bought it for the multiplayer and thankfully that part of the game is very good.

I know an update would cause a shitstorm given how many times Capcom has done it but I would personally love it. If they added in old charcters like Zas or even just their styles, I'd be happy. A fleshed out singleplayer and a slight rebalancing could do the world of good to the game and the community.

I don't mind who you interview next. It's always an interesting read. :)

1. Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast, an uncle brought it over during a barbecue and everyone played it, I picked Nightmare because at the time, my favorite video game character was Cloud from Final Fantasy 7 and Nightmare also had a big sword.
2. Went looking for a community to play against in SoulCalibur IV, found out V was coming out soon, been here ever since.
3. I follow the competitive community, and hope someday to be good enough to fight against Keev in a tournament. High hopes, I guess, but he has inspired me to take my Nightmare play to the next level. And the next. And the next lol.
4. I'll watch streams after they are done and fully recorded.
5. Yes, though I enjoy Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 when playing with friends. Could never take that game serious though, after Ultimate MvC3.
6. I prefer the PS3 controller, I find that the Xbox dpad causes me to miss many inputs and I have little experience with a fightstick.
7. I love SoulCalibur V, but I wish it had more story.
8. I would prefer a large update to SoulCalibur V, extending the story to make most, if not all, characters story relevant, and of course adding in Zasalamel, Talim, and Yun-Seong's fighting styles.
9. Keev. No other player has inspired me to work hard in SCV as much as he has.

By playing 'Soul Edge' in a local arcade. At the time I was more interested in playing 'Tekken 2' and 'Street Fighter Alpha 2' in the arcades and 'Virtua Fighter 2' at home. That changed with 'Soulcalibur', however, and that quickly became my go-to fighting game. SCII I bought, but the GameCube controller proved an insurmountable barrier. III & IV I skipped, and came back on board with V...

About two months ago, when I was thinking of buying SCV. I wanted to get some advice, read up on some stuff, and catch the flavour of the SC community...

I do follow the competitive side of things. Not entered a SC tournament yet, but next time I'm near one I'll be pot-monstering in it...

I do, yes - but usually only the majors...

No. I dabble in 'Skullgirls' and 'The King Of Fighters XIII', but the game I play the most (at least pre-SCV) is 'Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition: Ver 2012'...

Arcade stick. Haven't been able to use a pad for a fighting game since the demise of the Saturn. Genuinely can't understand how anyone can use the awful PS3 pad...

Pretty much. It's too offensive for my tastes, and I've never got on with Guard Break mechanisms (how can you possibly block 'too much'? How can anyone say that blocking has less value than attacking? I'm with Justin Wong - 'Block more. I don't care how much you block already, block more.'), but it's fun. Somewhere between IV and V, in terms of defense-offense balance, would be my ideal, but hey.

The only fear I have is that the game is already dying. There doesn't seem to be many people playing it online, and offline there is even less (at least where I am). There's only one other player in my local scene, for instance...

I think an enhanced 'Super Soul Calibur V' might be the best we can hope for - at least this generation of consoles...

I'd like to see Floe interviewed and asked about the differences between games, styles, 2D & 3D, and communities...

1. I had recieved a Sega Dreamcast and SC1 for a fathers day present. I hadnt played any fighters since street fighter 2 in the arcades. Once I saw Maxi and those chucks swingin and all the cool animations....I was hooked

2. I joined back in 0ct of 2008. I was actually on a quest to see if there were some cheat codes for SC4 and google brought me here. I have since totally re-vamped what I think about fighting games (or games in general for that matter) and am for ever grateful for what I have learned here and the people I have met! I have since learned my place and the right way to play FG's, and am the 2nd top poster on this site (I know big whoop huh?) and have been given the position of "Maxi Mod"

3. I definetly follow the competative scene. I have been an avid follower/supporter since I first learned there was a scene for it. I have been striving to compete with these younger kids. But my old reflexes just dont compare to these guys. So in turn I always give my full support. Rather thats me cheering from the sidelines, or offering housing for those that are going to be near me. has worked out great!

4. You WILL find me on every streaming of a major I can possibly make time for.

5. Yes SC is the only FG I play.....PERIOD

6. having recently switched from the xbox to the ps3, I find the PS3 controller much much better than anything Ive put my hands on for a fighting game. The MadCatz TE stick is also very comfortable for me and can enjoy myself on both.

7. Yes, Im very satisfied with SCV. Its a brilliant play against the other SC games and is right for this itteration. I cant say Im 100% satisfied with every single tiny thing. But as the saying goes, "you cant please everyone"

8. Im a SC loyalist. I look forward to ANY iteration of any kind from the Project Soul Team. Im facinated by the series and the stories that go with them.

9. Aside from wanting to see my handsome face gracing the front page (which I would make a great interview BTW), I would like to see Jaxel. The man the myth the legend. Or KrayzieCD and his life long journey in the SC world.

I never really owned any of the soul games before SCV so my exposure to the series was limited. However, I do recall a funny memory regarding a college open day I went when I was 17. A college club had a Dreamcast out with SC1 on display for people to play, so I did and I got beaten by a girl. Not my proudest of moments, I most say!

Back to the present, SCV is my first Soul game I've owned. What basically sold me the game was Pyrrha. I'm a total sucker for cute girls ( all the crying aside ) and then I started hearing that netcode was meant to be awesome and that sealed the deal.

I joined within a day or 2 of me buying SCV, mainly for the Pyrrha / Pyrrha Omega forums and the feedback I could get from it should I want it. I also quite liked the layout of the site on a side note as well.

As much as I'd like to be competitive, the scene in Ireland is pretty much non-existent. I have a few Irish SC friends on my friends list who I know play SCV but I feel there isn't enough to work on.

I'm cool with being casual but decent at the game.

I don't really watch many tournament streams these days in general ( though I will be watching EVO. ) You do see me in the SCV stream lobby often though.

No, SCV is really just a side game to my main fighting game: SF4 AE2012. I'm a Juri player in that game and learned the fundamentals of fighting games from playing SF4. I also enjoy watching Marvel but it's too hectic for me.

I thought my interest in SCV would go with the release of Street Fighter X Tekken but that turned out to be the worst fighting game I've ever played so I kept on playing SCV.

6. What controller do you find yourself more comfortable with?

Stick, I was a fight pad player but I made the transition to stick last year because my SF4 main sort of needs to played on stick to get the most out of her if you ask me. That and I being wanting to learn stick for while beforehand anyway.

In general, yes. Even though I said I see SCV as a side game to SF4 for me, it was nevertheless a breath of fresh air. I find the game play in general entertaining and fun. The netcode is also amazing.

I will also say that I'm am generally not influenced by a tier list. It was just coincidence that the characters I wanted to use were high on the tier list. In contrast, my main in SF4 is seen as being mid to low tier if you ask me.

I'm aware of the fact that the single player content is lacking compared to old Soul games. The story mode was passable but it's no MK9. The fact Patroklos was really unlikable as a main character doesn't help either. I'll make fun of the story mode and all the silly stuff associated with it.

Balance could be better, Mitsurugi for example, definitely needs a nerf if you were to ask me as I think he is a bit brain dead at present from messing around with him and seeing him being played. A few of the other cast need buffs and nerfs but doesn't every fighting game have balance issues at the top anyway?

I also have enjoyed using the Creation mode quite a lot and have brought several of the DLC items to date.

I'd like to see where they'd go next with the story line concerning the 2 Alexandinders ( yes, I know I butchered the spelling there ) but I'm cool with whatever comes next, as long as there is a next time and it's good as well to boot.

9. Who would you like to see interviewed in the upcoming episode of the Interview Time!?

Hmmm.... I'm not really the right person to be asking this type of question to as I'm don't really know many SC apart from the most well known ones. Off the top of my head, maybe Fixdswine from the online lobby stream but I can't really think of anyone else.

When I first got my Sega Dreamcast, naturally I was on the lookout for gnarly games other than Sonic Adventure (goddamn that game was good), so Power Stone... wait, wrong fighting game; Soul Calibur was an obvious choice to pick up as well. Naturally I enjoyed the depth of the single player game and whooping my brother when we played together.

I joined Aug 7, 2009 in hopes to learn more about the game other than the lag-tastic online play that SCIV was riddled by. I was just a lurker, but hoped to hop on to the more competitive bandwagon following the release of SCV since Tampa doesn't seem to have much of a SCene (see what I did there).

I dabble in both ends. I was debating going to CEO if I get my Siegfried on par with a lot of the top players out there.

Constantly. Every major, the 8WR XBL lobby, and Enkindu's stream primarily.

Yes and no. It's the only one I take seriously, perse. However, I've dabbled with MK9 and the Injustice trailer looks absolutely fantastic, so I might pick that up:

I'm not a big fan of SF/Tekken/Skullgirls though.

I'm assuming mind = find. I prefer the stick. I'll probably dabble with a hitbox eventually because I feel it's the best of both worlds for the most part; with the exception of those 77,11,99,33 moves.

I would definitely say so. I feel like there could be a few changes to better the game and appease the masses of followers who desire all the throwback characters; however, I feel that's best left fo some sort of SCV: ultimate edition

It seems I've answered this question already, but yes, very much so. I'd buy it without a doubt. So long as it wasn't filled with purely cosmetic enhancements, or only an improved story mode. I buy the DLC hoping they'll do this with the money instead of pocketing it.

Alex J, he's probably the best character in the community. Alternatively maybe Ramon or Enkindu.

I began to play Soul Calibur with the second SC game (SC2, not the one after soul edge). I would go to my buds house to play every single day. I joined 8WR, well, when I learned it existed :P I heard about it in some youtube videos and decided to check it out. I have only one friend that plays soul calibur with me, and I just wanted to find other fans of the game to talk to with. As a casual player, I don't really follow the competitive community. But that doesn't mean every once in a while I'll watch a stream just to see how entirely amazing the battles can be. Soul Calibur isn't really the ONLY fighting game I like but its the only I'm really good at. If you call Smash Bros a fighting game, then those two are my favorites. I do love the Dead or Alive series, though. I just don't like how powerful grabs are in Dead or Alive compared to Soul Calibur, whose game engine is my absolute favorite. I use a 360 controller, because I just don't like to use fighting pads. They're just weird to me outside an arcade machine. I do generally like Soul Calibur V, I just think there were some major mistakes. The mistakes aren't even PS's fault! I get mad at how Namco forces releases on time. They cut 3/4ths of the story, and that just makes me so frustrated at Namco for making them resort to that for the release! I do blame Project Soul for taking out characters for practically no reason. I understand Sophie and Cassandra, but there is no reason why Talim, Yunseong, or the others aren't in the game. I would love a "Super Soul Calibur V" just because its a reasonable reason to fix what was wronged in Soul Calibur V. I don't even think that Elysium (or Kilik, for that matter) are intended characters. They probably just added them because they felt the roster was lacking when they cut material, and just made the boss characters a playable character (Kilik probably would have been a boss were he in story mode.) The future games need a far better story than what we are given, though I feel like the full story of Soul Calibur V would have been superb. The funds we buy for DLC needs to go towards fixing Soul Calibur V before they plan on moving the story ahead. I love what we have of the story, though. As much as I despise Patroklos, I still liked when he did things like save Pyrrha or fight Elysium. I just hated how cut the story was. I also hate what had happened to Arcade mode. Endings and intros were totally cut, and the final opponent is a huge difficulty jump from the fight before it. Legendary Souls never should have existed, or atleast should have just been a difficulty setting for normal arcade, and used the slot of Legendary Souls in the Astral Home for team battle mode, something I really want. In short, I love Soul Calibur, but they need to right their wrongs before anything else, and I'll go back to my old "Soul calibur is the perfect series" way I felt before.

1. I started playing Soul Edbe back in the days. Still probably the game of the serie I've spent the most time with. I used to play endles matches in training mode aginst the cpu with the highest level difficulty and the biggest size of the arena. Good times!

2. In the months preceding the release of SCV. I was very hyped about the game and wanted to be part of the community

3. I'm basically a casual player. I do like to watch high-level competitive play, but I myself don't have enough time on my hands to actually give really serious play a shot.

4. Yes, as mentioned above

5. Basically, yes. I like some 2D fighting games aesthetically, but I don't feel comfortable with the mechanics, SC is the only game that feels "right" to me gameplay-wise.

6. I like the pad. I have a stick, but somehow it gives me cramps, even tho some moves are so much easier to pull off on it. I'd like to try that arcade controller with buttons instead of a stick.

7. Short answer, yes. I would like some more single player content, a decent story mode, endings for the characters and so on, but gameplay wise I really can't complaint.

8 Yes and yes. I'd buy an enhanced pack (expecially if it's a huge downloadable add on) and I'd definitely buy the next game in the serie. I've owned them all, and I regret that I don't own SC anymore because I've sold my Dreamcast.

9. Keev.

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca9974
Back