Is excessive use of "safe" moves considered spam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Riot Theory

[08] Mercenary
I main Astaroth and I find it hard to use much of his moves to open up on players with experience in the game.
My kit is limited to fast startup moves or positive frame moves until I can find a counter combo to expand on. I also get a lot of hate mail for this, especially from higher level players. Is this a legitimate strategy or is it just more advanced "spam" technique? This isn't specifically how I play only Astaroth either, I play Yoshimitsu and Nightmare the same way.

I am telling you this because I have a different view on this subject than the others.

I personally feel that if you are going to win, do it with style. If you beat me with style, I will congratulate you myself. If you play like a cheap bastard, I will get angry with you, and ultimately think you're scum so long as you remain in my short or long-term memory.

If you're using safe moves as Astaroth, it makes sense because he has really slow moves anyway.

I still get angry at players when they use cheap tactics to win. I really have no idea why it still angers me or how to stop myself from getting that way.

Several people have shared their wisdom with me on this, but the anger doesn't cease.

I believe my anger has to do with something deep down inside of me that I can't seem to let free. My brother used to beat me senseless when I was young and I could not do anything about it. Nothing was off limits for him and he used to repeat the things that irritated me the most. No help was given, I was on my own to fend from him. To my parents, his wrong actions were always justified.

Back on topic, if you keep throwing me, over and over again, and even though I know to duck but I don't, I would get angry.

All I can resort to now is to refrain from playing online with strangers, because my friends don't play that way.

All in all, I do realize that if someone loses and is angry about it, it is without a doubt their problem. Not yours. I just wish that I could get over mine. I hate being this way. I have to suffer just to play my favorite fighting game. It's hell.

I am telling you this because I have a different view on this subject than the others.

I personally feel that if you are going to win, do it with style. If you beat me with style, I will congratulate you myself. If you play like a cheap bastard, I will get angry with you, and ultimately think you're scum so long as you remain in my short or long-term memory.
I made a video for you.

It's actually harder to do that even though it looks stupid easy. It requires someone who will react predictably consistently with no concept of frames.

Last edited:
I made a video for you.

It's actually harder to do that even though it looks stupid easy. It requires someone who will react predictably consistently with no concept of frames.
It's a video of you picking on new players and pissing them off. Well done?

I wrote that message four months ago. My view on this subject has changed dramatically since then. I run into players all the time who play like a moron, AKA the behavior you've shown in this video. I still don't like to play with people like this, but nowadays I am still coming out on top all while keeping my style fresh and enjoyable.

But hey, if you enjoy using one move over and over again picking on new players that have little concept of this game, more power to you. I prefer to fight good players, but to each his own.

I usually don't, but I hear the same complaints when I play people who talk about keeping it fresh no matter what I do.

Throwing is bad, blocking is bad, using the y button too much is bad... One guy complained I was using too many of the same attacks so I used a different attack for the whole match and He just booted me.

I usually don't, but I hear the same complaints when I play people who talk about keeping it fresh no matter what I do.

Throwing is bad, blocking is bad, using the y button too much is bad... One guy complained I was using too many of the same attacks so I used a different attack for the whole match and He just booted me.
We've all been there.

You said earlier that people can be spammed rather easily when they don't understand frames. I would assume that most players don't. Some of the best players I know say they're too lazy to learn frames. I know what frames are and I've learned some of them, but I am not going to spend hours upon hours testing and researching them.

I've taken up fighting games for only two years now and I can stand toe to toe with some of the best players out there. I'm satisfied with where I'm at now. Most would still label me a casual, and I'm proud to be one, because there is more to life than this silly game. I don't want to spend every spare moment I have to get better. I don't want to go to tournaments to show off how much of a Soulcalibur nerd I've become in front of--if I'm lucky--a couple hundred people. This game just doesn't have that kind of value. It's a hobby. I took up this game to beat my local friends. I got hungry for more and went way beyond their level of skill.

I've always been good at real fighting. While I have faced maybe 1,000 losses on this game, I have never lost a real fight in my life. Recovering from a tragic car accident in high school, I was still able to stop seven consecutive teenagers from attacking me. That is where my real strength is. Not in this game.

So call me ignorant if you want. Tell me I suck at this game, because I do. I made the mistake of almost becoming you, someone who wastes their time showing noobs how much free time they have getting better at a fighting game. I mean, really? A 45 minute video of showing beginners you can beat them with one move? A senior moderator as well as a premium supporter of this website? I can guarantee you've been here longer than my interest in the fighting game genre and I am sure you are much better than I am at this game and would show no hesitation to prove it, but If I were you, I would sit down and really reconsider my life's choices.

The point was that if you are stuck against one move, learn ways around it. The people in the second half didn't whine, they just worked around that and made me adjust.

Strangely, I don't think any of them ground out a strategy in practice mode. They just thought about things and went from there.

Far easier when you're not preoccupied with generating excuses and dreaming up absurd rationalizations rather than trying to play a game you purportedly like.

One of the reasons this site exists is to help people improve at the game. You don't improve by sticking your head in the sand.

Last edited:
So call me ignorant if you want. Tell me I suck at this game, because I do. I made the mistake of almost becoming you, someone who wastes their time showing noobs how much free time they have getting better at a fighting game. I mean, really? A 45 minute video of showing beginners you can beat them with one move? A senior moderator as well as a premium supporter of this website? I can guarantee you've been here longer than my interest in the fighting game genre and I am sure you are much better than I am at this game and would show no hesitation to prove it, but If I were you, I would sit down and really reconsider my life's choices.

LOL, judging someones life decisions based on a video and 2 clicks of research. For all we know, Marginal is working on a cure for cancer Kappa

It's a video of you picking on new players and pissing them off. Well done?

I wrote that message four months ago. My view on this subject has changed dramatically since then. I run into players all the time who play like a moron, AKA the behavior you've shown in this video. I still don't like to play with people like this, but nowadays I am still coming out on top all while keeping my style fresh and enjoyable.

But hey, if you enjoy using one move over and over again picking on new players that have little concept of this game, more power to you. I prefer to fight good players, but to each his own.
Almost everyone on this site posses some skill of the game. If someone is getting hit by the same move, it's not the "spammers" fault that the other person doesn't know of a block button.

spam-family-of-products.png

Is Great.

Thing is the one who has to be creative is you. if they spam, find a way to counter them. if they use cheap moves, counter those moves and render them useless. Some very dangerous attacks can be stopped with a kick to the shin, or a mere slap. Guard impact them, stay out of their range, find the weak spots, where and when they forget to block or attack and punish mercilessly. BE THE ONE WHO WINS WITH STYLE. you gotta find a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back