Japanese offical artbook & guide .. Cassandra, Korean, Setsuka, side story

Well since Le Bello was curious about Viola, I'm just copy and past something for you all here for a second before going back to my practice final. Enjoy Viola lovers! xD

Most of what we already know about Viola I'll keep aside. It said she has no sense of sensitivity or compassion towards others except zwei =D
They make for a good travelling pair. She can see the future and avoid Dumas's men while Zwei can easily dispatch bandits and beasts. Even when recruited into the Scwarzwind, they ask to be together on missions. Sometimes she gets 'unstable' and that worries Zwei.

She woke up in an encampment in a forest alone without any memories of what happened. Wolves came to eat her but her orb killed them all. The orb was her source of powa, survival and it may have taken her memories.

She has 2 methods of divination. One is to read tarot cards. The second is moon reading in her orb. She can see a moon-shaped vessel in her orb and symbols that tells her about a person's soul. Red moon carriers are those who will suffer incidents days later and suffer. And they're not normal ppl. So when she said the moon is red, red like wine for Pyrrha, not only was that a mention of Pyrrha's malfestation, it was also the fact that Pyrrha would suffer bad things in the coming days.

If you love Soul Calibur (series), then do yourself a favor:

GO BUY THIS BOOK

It's awesome.

Newly translated book in English on left / Original Japanese book on the right
30rseig.jpg

Just like the original - well technically it is exactly like the original - there's a lot of good content in here that'll give you a deeper appreciation for the game. Now that it's officially translated in English, for many of you, it'll even be better. Just about all the cool concepts and some tidbits on the backstory and development of Soul Calibur V.

All the things you'd expect from game artbook like character profiles and such

2148kfo.jpg

2i1ca50.jpg

9r16du.jpg

but I especially love all of Takuji Kawano's illustrations and concept designs.

1znld3s.jpg

25740fl.jpg

2je4ga8.jpg

I know this has been summarized before, but here's a translated excerpt about the fate of our beloved Cassandra:

" Cassandra eventually made her way to Ostrheinsburg, Soul Edge's base of operations, but was devastated to find Sophitia barring her path as the cursed blade's protector. With her daughter taken hostage by Soul Edge, Sophitia had no choice but to protect the very thing she once destroyed.... Cassandra was rendered unconscious with just one strike from Sophitia ... Cassandra awoke to a strange and unfamiliar environment. Soul Edge had been destroyed and Astral Chaos, which had been eating at Ostrheinsburg, had begun to rapidly withdraw from this world. Dragging her injured body through the body through the castle, Cassandra was able to find her sister collapsed in one of the rooms. As Cassandra rushed to her sister's side, an astral gate opened up right in front of her. A few moments later, when the effects of Astral Chaos had faded completely, Cassandra was nowhere to be seen."

nmbud1.jpg

There's all sorts of cool things like this - the back story of all your major and minor characters, what happened to them since the previous game and till recent (SC5).

2afbx4x.jpg

1zckcq0.jpg

Cool stuff like geography maps and geneology /relationship charts:

30njgg0.jpg

Developer interviews

66iwj9.jpg

Storyboard sequences

2wgzty8.jpg

This is just a small sample but there's a quite a bit of stuff here I'm sure you wont regret. So go get it!

Is there a hardcover version of the art book? If so (or not), which websites do you all recommend in buying from?

Wow awesome screenshots and story info too.... Can someone post more info about Setsuka....??
Here you go Kostas. (>=^_^=)

Setsuka was one of the many warriors under whom Patroklos trained. Seventeen years ago, she fought Heishiro Mitsurugi and managed to shatter his beloved swords Shishi-Oh. But the moment she let her guard down thinkng she was victorious, she saw Mitsurugi's fist digging into her stomach. As her consciousness faded, Setsuka knew she had been defeated. Having survived her encounter with Mitsurugi, Setsuka no longer pursued a life of vengeance. Instead, she moved to Istanbul where she decided to spend the rest of her life helping those weaker than she, in much the same way that her master had helped her.

1y7ggi.jpg

Well.... the image was bigger than I expected. I didn't need to type all that out then. Bleh.

Anyway, I finished my ochem final today so imma type out some more stuff for you guys before going back to more chem studying. </3 I could take pictures but someone decided to use light reddish/gold ink on a red background and it might fry your eyes. So imma fry my own eyes for you guys and type the beginning three pages out.

Soul Edge / Soul Calibur
"Chosen by history, a man becomes a warrior. Engraved into history, a warrior becomes a hero."
-14th centuy minstrel's song.
"Transcending history and the world, a tale of souls and swords eternally retold."
-excerpt from a tale from the late Middle Ages, author unknown.
Our tale began when the dread pirate Captain Cervantes gained posession of Soul Edge, it enthralled his mind. Cervantes willingly massacred his entire crew and even offered up the citizens of his base of operations, a port town in Spain, as sacrifices to Soul Edge's insatiable hunger. After devouring countless souls, Soul Edge and Cervantes hid themslves away from the world in prepartion for the birth of the 'child of the cursed sword'...

Over the next two decades, rumors of Soul Edge reached the tio of every mountain and crossed every sea in varying forms until the entire wold became aware of its existence. To one nation, Soul Edge represented salvation while another saw it as the ultimate weapon against its enemies. Chosen by fate, a number of individuals set out on quests in pursuit of of Soul Edge, each driven by their own motivations.

A portion of those would-be heroes who were fortunate - or indeed unfortunate - enough to succeed in tracking down Soul Edge soon had their souls devoured by the cursed blade.

Even with this chaotic maelstron of fate, there was one who was willing to stand up against the forces of evil. The holy warrior Sophitia was given orders by Hephaestus, the Olympian god of fire and forge, to see out and destroy Soul Edge. During the course of her fated battle against Cervantes, Sophitia managed to destroy one of the cursed twin blades but was severely wounded by the shattering fragments of the sword. Cervantes was driven beyond madness at the loss of what had become part of himself and attempted to end Sophitia's life forever. Sophitia was only spared by the intervention of Taki, the "Hunter of Darkness."

Taki and the weakened Cervantes clashed in an epic battle and when the dust settled, Taki emerged the victor. With a fragment of Soul Edge in hand and having accomplished her mission, Taki left the sceen with the injured Sophitia.

When a young Schwarzwind by the name of Siegfried stepped foot into a certain part of town in search of the legendary sword,, he was greeted by the sight of a dead pirate captain with a single sword clenched in his lifeless hand. As Siegfried approached to take the sword, the corpse rose up in a bust of hellfire.

The powerfully twisted will pof the angered Soul Edge had take posession of the coprse and immediately attacked Siegfried. Though Siegfried's zweihander was technically too large to be held by such a young lad, it seemed to be guided by an invisible force as it roared to life and sliced through the air. By the time Siegfried had realized the battle was over, the corpse of the pirate captain gad burned away to nothing and Siegfried found his hands soaked with his own blood, still holding onto the hilt of his broken Zweihander. Then Sigfried's eyes wandered over to the discarded Soul Edge, still glowing with the fires of hell.

Having lost its host, Soul Edge was maddened and desperate to unleash its power. Drawn by Soul Edgs's dark allure, another twisted soul extended his hand towards its hilt.

That night, a strange scene was witnessed along the coast of Spain. A bright white pillar shot up intp the jeavens and burst into a beautiful spectacle above the clouds. None could have known that this heavenly light actually marked the creation of the "Evil Seed", a force that would bring death and dstruction to the entire world. The tale thus far transpired in the 16th century but history was preparing to turn a new page.

"Desire by its nature is pure and forms this world, thus all good and all evil shall each find enlightenment."
-Teaching of Rishu Kyo

Aughhhhhhh!! Muh eyes. (>@_@)

2pzgo5h.jpg

♪(o ̄∇ ̄)/ can u guys read that, or you want me to type it out. Im going to do this for the whole book for you all if you want me to. Thr book is a great deal though, i highly recommend getting it.

Last edited:
Here you go Kostas. (>=^_^=)

Setsuka was one of the many warriors under whom Patroklos trained. Seventeen years ago, she fought Heishiro Mitsurugi and managed to shatter his beloved swords Shishi-Oh. But the moment she let her guard down thinkng she was victorious, she saw Mitsurugi's fist digging into her stomach. As her consciousness faded, Setsuka knew she had been defeated. Having survived her encounter with Mitsurugi, Setsuka no longer pursued a life of vengeance. Instead, she moved to Istanbul where she decided to spend the rest of her life helping those weaker than she, in much the same way that her master had helped her.

1y7ggi.jpg
Aw, I'm glad Setsuka got what she wanted. Mitsurugi was salty when Setsu got a guard break so he punched her. :/ imo Setsuka won that match but whatevs. I'm very happy that she got to move on.

ヾ(@°▽°@) So can you guys read from the pictures or do you guys want me to type? My cactus won't bite LOL. (≧▼≦;) we got like 194 pages lol.

(= ̄▽ ̄=)V or does anyone want to ask questions about any of the characters?

╮( ̄▽ ̄)╭ or should I yolo?

Alrighty, here's the rest of the background story from SCII-SCV. Along with a very veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy beautiful timeline.
Imma put the pictures spoilers for you all lol.
SC2
t6xocz.jpg

2n6800k.jpg
SC3
2m49403.jpg

rixnkh.jpg
SC4
t987ih.jpg
SC5
2yuwsvk.jpg
Beautiful timeline you really must look at.
2lntz85.jpg

21klevt.jpg

14vtd00.jpg
Sorry about the last three pics being horizontal.

And now that I got the boring but vital background info on the storyline, we can go into depths about other stuff now. Hey, there's a good reason why I wanted to be word for word (pics) for that lol. It's the foundation of the mythos of the Soul Calibur universe.

Today's topic will be Malfestation.

Malfestation has different effects on people, because everyone's soul is unique. They likened it to a vessel, with differing sizes and substances. Generally, malfestation is very harmful. The degree to which a victim is infected though, means that not all malfested lose control. You can't tell a malfested from a normal human besides pale skin and red eyes. (They made no mention of white hair in the book). The rare cases is physical mutations like Nighty or the way Tira stopped aging and there are even those who AGE faster than normal. =O
The way someone is therefore cursed, depends on the strength of their soul as well as how twisted their soul was originally.
(>*O*) SE brings out the worst in ppl. If you're already evil, you can bet that you're gonna be a real monster if you're malfested.

Malfested were first view as tragic victims of some weird plague. But then Dumas opened his fat mouth and said that malfested were people who dealt with demons and unholy spirits and that's how they became malfested. Everyone took his word for it now the malfested are viewed as evi, criminals and monsters and this started the 'Malfested Hunt'

Those who are REALLY infected suffer physical mutations. It's apparently more common for males than females. They also guessed that the effects results from the individuals themselves. Tira stopped aging because as she was raised in a assassin group, which valued survival more than anything.

Malfested often exhibit greater physical attributes likes strength and some seemed to have acquire immortality. Like Cervy Beards for example.

Anyway, here's a picture of a particularly nasty mutation. e______e poor dude.
2ue1xq8.jpg
(>O-O) that's it for today. Enjoy! *goes back to studying*

Holy shit. That's why it too them so long to release the book, because they had to translate all that text.

I wanna get this book, but I don't know if it's worth the 50 bucks (shipping ain't gonna pay itself).
It's $50? (>O_o)
I bought it for $27 on Amazon lol. I can't remember if it was a sales deal or something. But for now, the book was a steal for $27 xD
Edit: Oh, and there was no shipping fee for me either lol.

Back