Just Guard

The data is from the Future Press guide, yes.

I assume it's a 4 frame window (assuming that you haven't pressed G in a bit [delay between G presses unknown]) that must be during the impact frame of the opponents attack.

It is NOT easy.

Yea, haven't pulled this off at all when I NEED it. Players like me, if the battle isn't flowing your way you tend to lose your cool... timing gets off. Frame-counting does not work well for people like this. .-. Hence why I don't play too many fighting games anymore, outside the SC series which was previously rather light-hearted in that respect.

Well, I mean, I'm talking about the acceptable frame window for a Just Guard.

If you need to hit the Just Guard within 4 frames, is it four frames before hit? Four frames after hit? Four frames on hit?

Pressing buttons takes frames to register. If you press G and release G as fast as possible, is that 2 frames, or 1 frame?
<snip>

I can't answer your question about the JG window, but pressing and releasing a button as fast as possible takes two frames. You can't press and release in the same frame.

After reading this thread, I got 5 jg in 2 minutes. The key is to tap x the moment the opponent twitches to attack. I managed to do it in offline play.

You're gonna have to be psychic to get it to work in online play.

I'm really liking this game, it's incredible, far better than any previous in the series in terms of gameplay and fighting mechanics.

Would anyone mind telling me what Impact means in the frame data? Is that the start-up? I've tried a search and can't find anything haha. Sorry for being such a noob...

Dam.

Usually ships within 1 to 2 months.

Uh... Anyone got any ideas about picking this one up?
i picked it up at gamestop because it was pre-ordered/reserved. best buy told me that they won't get copies until february 7th.

i'm gonna try these tips out right now. hopefully something positive comes out.

Would anyone mind telling me what Impact means in the frame data? Is that the start-up? I've tried a search and can't find anything haha. Sorry for being such a noob...
Impact means the move lands.

If something is i18, that means 17 frames go by and you get hit on the 18th frame.

Likewise, if you do a move that's faster than i18 (say i15) you'll hit them before they hit you.

I'd like to get good at it, but MAN, its freakin hard. Got it to work a couple of times in practice mode but I was too happy about it to counterattack.

From the official SCV guide: "To do a JG, tap G for only 4 frames or less, and then release it. If you time the release just before an attack hits you, you'll Just Guard the attack and your character will flash blue."

I have been trying to hit G just as the attack hits, which seems to be the wrong approach. I will try the above approach later and see if it works better, though releasing just before your get hit seems like asking for pwn-age.

From the official SCV guide: "To do a JG, tap G for only 4 frames or less, and then release it. If you time the release just before an attack hits you, you'll Just Guard the attack and your character will flash blue."

I have been trying to hit G just as the attack hits, which seems to be the wrong approach. I will try the above approach later and see if it works better, though releasing just before your get hit seems like asking for pwn-age.
it's true. just tried that against pyrrha's B attacks in training mode. you do have to tap and let go just before the attack hits you. that's gonna be hard though. either do it right or possibly time it wrong and get hit.

Thanks a lot. It's really different from what I was thinking. I was thinking it was press, get hit, release. But it's press, release, get hit. Sounds very hard and actually risky. I'm liking it better now.

(just speaking in theory... didn't get the game, yet... freaking Brazilian custom services)

Just out of curiosity, what system and control method do you all use? I use a pad on XBOX, the buttons on the pad have a lot of starting resistance. As in, it takes slightly more effort to press an XBOX pad button than a PS3 button. I don't know about arcade stick buttons. I wonder if the controller is part of the problem. Please prove me wrong.

Controller buttons aren't known for their responsiveness. I mean, you can do anything, but it's not easy.

If you can do Just Guard on anything, you can do it on dat Sanwa. (I can't speak about dat Seimitsu.)

Yeah, but there is a noticeable difference between pressing a 360 button vs .pressing a PS3 button. I've done just guards on my 360 pad, but not with any reliability. I haven't tried on a PS3 pad, so I personally can't say if there's a difference. I really hope it is just a matter of timing it right, but that tiny bit of extra effort to press that 360 button may cost you the frames needed to make the JG reliable, and if that is the case, what happens in tournaments when people are used to the timing (on PS3 OR 360)? It could fuck people up.

I'm not crying doom or anything, but I definitely think it's something that needs to be looked into. Just in case.

Still can't do JG. I must be retarded or something.

Every time I try releasing the button before attack, I just get hit. This is really bugging me because not being able to JG is really gonna put me at the disadvantage.

I tried it again after testing some partially related things.

I am having more success pressing G just before I get hit, and not right when I get hit.

You guys rock.

Though, yes, if you mess up Just Guard, you're eating whatever's coming.

And the risk-reward changes depending on the move! Oh Project Soul, why you so smart?

I got it. I got it! Yes!!!

Just Guard is an insane man's version of something like a Gold Parry in DMC3 Royal Guard style, or a... or a regular version of 3rd Strike parrying, I guess.

Press G within 4 frames of release. This window is actually quite "big" if I'm interpreting this right, in that you can hold G for at least 3 frames before letting go.

The release is what you're timing. Release the button right when you get hit.

My success percentage in Practice just shot through the roof.

Insane in the membrane!

Now that I know how this works, I tried a few other things.

The safest thing to do, is to hold G, blocking as regular. When you see the attack coming, let go.

Let go, press G within 4 frames, and release!

This takes even more practice because there is a window after releasing G that will disable your JG (at least that's what it feels like) and what will happen, is that you will let go too late, tap and release, and you'll get smacked. You have to let go early, in the best case well in advance to ensure that your JG will go off without a hitch.

Pros only. Oh man...

Here's a hint. Weapon trails are brightly colored, it might help if when you're looking for an attack you watch for the trails before making your move.

Back