Legendary Souls; A Journal.

NinjaDeathCaiks

[08] Mercenary
This would be my first post on 8WR.com, besides my noob introduction! Yay! Sorry if this is in the wrong category.

This is just a short post about the challenge of Legendary Souls for me; an everyday, average player.

I main Cervantes, I feel confident enough with his moveset to set aside the patience and time for Legendary Souls mode. My first excursion into this dangerous turf was met by a stubborn Kilik, and I quickly abandoned my pursuit.

But in the past hour I have powered through all the way to Algol, as I write this. I had heard from most people that they had not passed Kilik, so I prepared myself maybe for a quick end. I cleared Kilik with ease which surprised me, he was far more daunting the first time around. I guess I've just picked up Cerv more since then. I also bagged the achievement for winning on a Brave Edge! I forged on.

My heart sank when I saw Nightmare was next. I literally felt like packing it in. But with some clever Guard Impacts I prevailed. I also noticed that he was using a costume I recognised from SCIV, as were Sieg and Cerv thereafter. Can anyone let me know if they are available to us at all currently? (Thanks in advance)

Edge Master was the first true hurdle. His punishes after my abuse of the Y button broke my spirit, and my guard meter, many times. But again, I was confident and resilient enough that I pushed my way on. At this point I had taken about 35 minutes. The next fight destroyed what will I had left.

Elysium. What kind of MENTALIST designed her moveset to be so overpowering? It was something I had to come to terms with quick, and I could not find an opening for what must have been 10 losses in a row. Her Unblockable stabbing got annoying, as did the throw spamming, and the CE that just saps my life for no apparent reason? That wore thin. I found her Achilles' Heel with Cerv's 22AA and 3A double slice. The stun and reach of them helped me to while her down enough to get in a couple of Impacts to bring me back on top.

And now here I sit, 1 Hour and 15 Minutes in, in front of Algol; my final challenge. I'll be sure to keep enough sanity to post my final thoughts, but I just wanted to post this because it has been quite emotionally draining for such an average-skilled player. How did the rest of you Fare?

I've still never beaten Kilik ;_;

Online is too much fun to bother with it :D

SCIV costumes aren't unlockable.

Won second match against Algol! I had him down 2-0 and he used his overhead double laser cannon, straight off the edge! Lovely end to a hard fought fight.

Legendary Souls: Making people exploit the game's AI since...

... Well, since about 5 weeks ago, I guess.

By Elysium you mean Pyrrha Omega right? Those NS/DNS B stabs are just ridiculous in the input reading AI's hands. Nothing to do with how "overpowered" her moveset is with human limitations in mind.

I just cheated my ass off with Astaroth. I am a Cervantes user myself, after trying time and time again, I gave up 'cause I am just not good enough, so I got desperate. It took me 41 minutes. All were defeated in the 1st try except Edge Master. He is a god damn mind reader. Almost every grapple reversed or ducked. When I noticed he ducked more, I went for the low grapples and he reversed those, too! Just frustrating. Alissa in Quick Battle was way easier than him. After wasting a lot of time on Edge Master finally beating him, the next 2 were just easy.

After all that you get absolutely nothing! I did get that Brave Edge Win on Legendary Souls Trophy on the 1st try on Kilik, but that don't mean squat. I wish at least that should have gotten the Cervantes, Siegfried & Nightmare costumes of SC4 unlocked. Give us something for all that frustration! Jeez!

I main Cervantes myself. My very first attempt at legendary souls took me over 2 hours to beat. This was from simple lack of knowledge of scv Cervantes. My 2nd attempt took me 25 minutes to beat after I became confident with scv Cervantes. My 3rd and 4th attempts took me half an hour so I didn't beat my record. Yesterday I attempted my 5th run, Beat legendary souls in 17 minutes with Cervantes and breaking my record. I don't think I did anything different on the 5th run, the 5th run was done under the latest patch. I found legendary souls easier as a result of this patch. Cervantes bt B+K was buffed to have longer stun. As a result of this buff, I forced the a.i to eat a few 4B, BEs and after the a.i blocked the BEs, I had a chance to land bt B+K and force the a.i to eat 3B, 8B+K, 2A+B combo.

The first day I got the game: LS took me 30 minutes
A week later: 15 minutes
Current best time: 8:15 with NM.

And keep in mind that I deliberately did NOT exploit the AI. I used mix-ups and setups that I would normally use on a human player. The key is to play safe as hell, block at disadvantage, and punish like there's no tomorrow, basically be the best turtle you can be!

For example: the AI in this mode eats low pokes like crazy, so try not to overdo it if your trying to beat it legitimately. This falls under the "exploitable" gimmicks to beat the AI category.

The first day I got the game: LS took me 30 minutes
A week later: 15 minutes
Current best time: 8:15 with NM.

And keep in mind that I deliberately did NOT exploit the AI. I used mix-ups and setups that I would normally use on a human player. The key is to play safe as hell, block at disadvantage, and punish like there's no tomorrow, basically be the best turtle you can be!

For example: the AI in this mode eats low pokes like crazy, so try not to overdo it if your trying to beat it legitimately. This falls under the "exploitable" gimmicks to beat the AI category.
Wait, did you just contradict yourself on purpose...?

Decided I should finally get down to beating LS, and yep, managed to beat it for the first time in 29 min. Unfortunately, I messed up big time on Kilik and Nightmare, but the rest of the bosses I got through all on one attempt - even Edge Master and Elysium, which surprised me.

My next target is to cut that time down to half.

EDIT : Target reached. 11 min 6s, not bad takings. Unfortunately, Edge Master got a 3-0 on me, which wasted some time, =P

Raphael, time is somewhere around 20+ minutes. Kilik and Sieg are the biggest problems for me. Edgemaster, Algol, and NM are mostly easysauce. Surprised how easily Edge was handled considering he's patsuka.

I got to Edge Master last night and gave up lol. I get in the habit of trying to fight the A.I. like I do people and it doesn't seem to work on it.

If I may, I'd like to offer my input into how to best the higher level AI

Outcheesing SCV's tougher AI

Before you go any further, I'm going to assume...

-You want to make the higher level AI eat dirt
-You don't care if you cheese them out
-You're willing to learn how Viola works(be warned: she takes a lot of practice and study to perfect her mindgame capabilities)
-You want to unlock things at a blistering pace

If you don't, you're free to just ignore this and enjoy the game however you choose to get down

How this came to be
If you're trying to do stuff like earn titles and beat Legendary Souls in a reasonable time, you've no doubt seen how much the computer is able to read and counter anything you throw at it, and has probably lead to lots of raging(which, as a Mitsurugi main, is something I did much of when I went up again MCZ Kayane's AI, among others). Briefly, I made the switch to Xiba to unlock what I wanted, but despite his reach and tricks, I still ran into many walls trying to overcome the strategies of the higher level AI, which is when I looked up some stuff on Google and discovered that, apparently, Viola is one of the characters the AI has trouble with.

After going into training mode and seeing how deep her bag of tricks and learning curve runs, I set up a Cervantes vs. match with the AI set to the max difficulty to see if that claim was true. Later, after about receiving 30 beatdowns, or so, I began to notice that it has a lot of trouble getting around one particular attack string, and after seeing what it was, I took it to Legendary Souls to see if I could apply this outside of practice; what happened was that Viola made mince meat out of every single of them, even perfecting Algol (the king of cheese since SCIV) on several occasions. Knowing that no one likes to waste their time grinding it out against these guys, I decided to write this up, hopefuly speeding up the rate people unlock stuff and get their creative juices flowing in Create a Soul

The Sequence and the Attack String
(remember, I'm assuming you've learned Viola's tools before you attempt to apply this)

-Set the orb
I'm partial to With Orb 6B+K for both it's speed and the fact that you can follow it up quickly with the upcoming string

-Use the attack string
(Orb Set) BBB(last press brings the orb back)->(With Orb) 8A+B->(Orb Set) 6B+K(taps them from behind and keeps the orb set)

-Dash in close and repeat from the BBB on until they drop

-Use her other tools to mix things up
In general, keep to fast attacks and mixing up attack heights to make sure they don't have a chance to breathe(like following the string with 1A+B, which leaps into a low knock down attack)

How do you know this works?
BBB is one of Viola's fastest attacks and stuffs alot of the stuff the AI tries to do to cheese you out, like many of Cervante's moves. With Mitsurugi, my losses were in double digits against MCZ Kayane before I finally came out on top; With Viola, I not only beat her on my first try, I actually got a ring out and a Perfect, not to mention I tore through pretty much everyone else, cut my Legendary Souls time down to just under 7 minutes. Obviously, the rule with things like this is "pics or it didn't happen," so here's the proof: http://t.co/DefIAaqR Although this method helped me jump several levels, I also ran into a few rough patches along the way. Like what, you may be thinking?

Things to keep in mind about the string/Viola
Getting thrown or hit by anything (except light taps) will auto set the orb, which, for the string, is a good thing

Even if they block the whole time, they'll likely be aggro enough to let the last hit of 8A+B catch them.
I've only seen the AI block the entire string once...on Normal, and considering the numerous harder AI it tore through, I'd say it's a good chance they won't be able to stay on their feet long

If it's near a wall or the edge of the ring, the last hit of 8A+B is likely to catch that and whiff(if both hits of it land when they're near the edge of the ring, though, a Ring Out is almost a lock).
If you wanna make it safer, sub 8A+B out with another orb setting move, like 2A+B(hits ducking opponents and can be delayed by charging)

If the opponent is run happy(like Aris's AI, which is where I discovered the rough patch in the string), sub out BBB with a move that smacks them out of their run
This includes Orb Set 22\88 AB(which brings the orb back and lets you continue the attack string into 8A+B) and Orb Set 4A+B(which is slightly slower and not conductive to creating the stream of offense needed to make Viola formidable)

If you're not on top of them with the string/you're not using the whole of Viola's tricks and spacing tools to throw them off, the computer will smack you around without remorse.
Know what you can do with her and how you can cheese them out(I prefer a slide tackle if nothing else I'm doing works)

Could one of you PS3 users tell me what the best Legendary Souls time is on your server? I'd be most grateful!
I'm also curious what the best Viola time is, if you wouldn't mind.

I currently hold the 360 server's number one spot, 4:22.50 with Viola. :)

I've still never beaten Kilik ;_;

Online is too much fun to bother with it :D

SCIV costumes aren't unlockable.

3oqoy7.jpg

Back