Lord Forgon's CAS Compiliation

Forgon

[12] Conqueror
Preface

This be my attempt to portray the CAS I hold and their story. Forgive me for my pathetic attempts at mimicking characters, I am far better at originals then I am at existing ones.

I have many, many more but they are all too incomplete/poor/in testing for me to actually show them yet. I also plan to add full bios for my OCs once I actually write it out.

Be aware I plan to update and continue my work for all sorts of outfits. I am humbled by the talent and skill of everyone here in the community and am cautious to add any more until I am completely satisfied with even presenting them to the rest of you.

If you have any requests for certain poses or pictures of my works that you feel need certain angles or details made seen, please feel free to tell me, I will do it. Also, if any one wants any formulas for these, just tell me and I will write them up and make them available as soon as possible.

Thank you

--Forgon

4/10/12
-Fixed an issue causing images to be unable to be viewed
-Updated D. Soldier: added grit and rust to armor and corrected coloring (page 1)
-Updated Emily: corrected coloring and added detail to arm and leg equipment (page 1)
-Updated G. Soldier: added grit and rust to armor (page 1)
-Updated Gewdes: removed pieces that caused homogeneity with other characters (page 1)
-Updated Subtala: fixed an error with the coloring of her shield (page 1; image coming soon)
-Removed tonarelyan and wrollik species for heavy revision
-Added the tonarelyan Quichaka in place of tonarelyan (page 1)
-Updated Shade: fixed coloring discrepencies with blood (page 1; image coming soon)
-Updated Voiiarraka 2p: fixed an error where the hands were colored red (page 2; image coming soon)
-Added TAIDA-A037, D. Agent, and Gorganflek (page 2; Gorganflek and D. Agent are old, unposted creations)
-Added Damnation consumed by the power of Lostoru (page 2)
-Updated Damnation (page 3)
-Added Dyyakkan, D. Elite, D. General, D. Brute, and Faukra (page 3; D. Elite and D. General are old creations)

First up, Lord Damnation, the noble heir of his forefathers for hundreds of generations. May Damnation be inherited by every firstborn son of his blood so that the noble lord of his house may never die.

Damnation Updated on page 3
soulcalibur40.png

soulcalibur41.png

soulcalibur42.png

soulcalibur43.png

But the undying corruption that does plague the youngest one to assume the name Damnation be too much for him to handle. Servants hear him murmur the name... Lostoru... Lostoru... The Deity of Lust and Power does speak to him. War must come down upon him. War must rain! To gain the unholy power he seek, war must be chosen for the Deity does speak.

Damnation (War Armor) Updated on page 3
soulcalibur44.png

soulcalibur35.png

soulcalibur36.png

soulcalibur37.png

soulcalibur38.png

soulcalibur39.png

And so were many subject to experiments of the most unkind and chilling. So exist Damnation's army of genetic tampering and immoral splicing. And so the Karagga were born, men grown in vats and cloned in droves to serve their lord and fight like beasts. This army has been sometimes known as the "the Damned" with only fear and terror known to follow their march.

Damnation Soldier
soulcalibur174.png

soulcalibur175.png

soulcalibur176.png

soulcalibur177.png

soulcalibur4s.png

Yet Damnation did have one friend. A childhood cohort who would play with him and was always there. Of different kingdoms on the planet of Hordat, perhaps, but Genos was distressed once Damnation's land showed storm clouds abound.

Genos
soulcalibur49.png

soulcalibur50.png

soulcalibur51.png

soulcalibur52.png

But his one weakness, the one he loved. Dearest Emily, a quite young one. Stolen from him, by Damnation she was. A blind prisoner to the corrupted lord. Genos must save her, his dearly beloved.

Emily
soulcalibur193.png

soulcalibur194.png

soulcalibur180.png

soulcalibur195.png

soulcalibur181.png

And so many noble soldiers of Hordat, deployed to Genos's kingdom, are under his command and readied for the battle to free his dearest friend and darling beloved from the grip of the evil Deity who hides beyond mortal realm in the Realm of Worms.

Genos Soldier
soulcalibur182.png

soulcalibur183.png

soulcalibur184.png

soulcalibur185.png

Now for some Final Fantasy cosplay. Disclaimer: I am actually not a big fan of Final Fantasy. My friends are. I did these because some of the characters were fun to make. I am actually a Kingdom Hearts fan myself, but what does that matter, they are hated just the same here! :)

Kefka

Kuja

Now onto more originals.

Voiiarraka, Deity of Sadness and Misery. The crying lord of endless tragedy who resides in the Realm of Tears. Of the Ten Lords, she is both the least and the most vengeful. Rarely does she come out of the endless rains of where she resides to oversee the realm of the sentients; however, when she has, it has been to let others feel the wrath of her grief.

Voiiarraka 1p
soulcalibur92.png

soulcalibur93.png

soulcalibur94.png

soulcalibur95.png

soulcalibur96.png

A member of the Grand Ten within the famed mercenary organizations based at the camps of Kisare, Gewdes is a master craftsman and has fashioned many masks to compliment his feared face. Grand Ten Rank 7.

Gewdes
soulcalibur199.png

soulcalibur200.png

soulcalibur201j.png

soulcalibur18.png

soulcalibur19.png

soulcalibur68.png

Another member of the Grand Ten, the partially insane and definitely skilled Subtala was an agile and swift assassin before slewing her traitorous predecessor. She is Grand Ten member, rank #10.

Subtala
soulcalibur69.png

soulcalibur71.png

soulcalibur213.png

soulcalibur72.png

soulcalibur73.png

soulcalibur74.png

soulcalibur75.png

A proud and brutal warrior, Svaka holds the title of earning his place in the Grand Ten by killing hundreds of warriors on one of his particular mercenary missions. He is a proud and hardy soul of a proud and hardy race. Grand Ten member, rank #9.

Svaka Updated on page 4
soulcalibur76.png

soulcalibur77.png

soulcalibur78.png

soulcalibur8.png

soulcalibur9.png

soulcalibur10.png

soulcalibur7.png

Now onto another imitation. Well here is the Azure Nightmare in all his glory, using White Knight armor (ironically) and his SC2 helm. The only notable thing really is his character card, which unintentionally came out amazing.

Nightmare SC2
soulcalibur97.png

soulcalibur98.png

soulcalibur99.png

And now the tonarelyan Quichaka. A famed mercenary of his home planet of Jakkeina, a planet that has suffered through an irregular amount of ice ages in the last 20,000 years, Quichakka migrated offworld to help widen his services to the galaxy of Shadark and is always seen wearing his temperature regulating bio-suit along with the fyrax furs and white garbs of his home.

Quichaka
soulcalibur186.png

soulcalibur187.png

soulcalibur188.png

soulcalibur188.png

soulcalibur190.png

soulcalibur192.png

And finally, my last imitation pieces.

Here is Kakuzu from Naruto, my very first work and the one I am very proud of completing.

Kakuzu
soulcalibur88.png

soulcalibur89.png

soulcalibur90.png

soulcalibur91.png

Again, Le Bello must commend that Amy. Genius!

Your other designs are all nicely executed, though perhaps the colours are a little bright? Le Bello (and doubtless other people after me) suggests you play with de-saturising them, to create a more.. 'realistic' look. It certainly darkens them and can make them more believable and menacing.

Genos is my favourite, perhaps because he is the most different, though he does remind Le Bello of a Final Fantasy spin-off character, but it is still a solid design, and one of the rare cases in which a brighter palette works. The operatic mask and white hair lend a certain tragic look to the character - Which of course tells his story from the get-go.

Kudos to the Kuja. It's disgusting how good it is!

I MUST mention the clever use of the Voodoo Breastplate and the Eye sticker on Voiiarraka to create something particularly creepy and demonic looking, easily the most striking aspect to her design, and yet it still looks unbalanced. Did you build the character around the eyeball, or add it for dramatic effect? Because I think centering it around her nightmarish chest (Cease the gutter-mindedness!) would make for a more powerful and memorable design.

The rest of your (non-female, non-Kefka) characters all seem a little bit samey, lots of heavy armour and a large use of the scaled fold makes them all less impacting then they clearly deserve to be - Again Le Bello suggests playing around with their designs a little, try to make each character a little less different from the others.

Otherwise a strong and promising start - There's a lot of potential here, and your remakes show you know how to use the parts well, so I look forward to seeing how they're utilised even further as time goes on.

Best of luck, you have Le Bello's full support and most of his attention. Godspeed!

In order for Le Bello:

Again, Le Bello must commend that Amy. Genius!
Your other designs are all nicely executed, though perhaps the colours are a little bright? Le Bello (and doubtless other people after me) suggests you play with de-saturising them, to create a more.. 'realistic' look. It certainly darkens them and can make them more believable and menacing.

Some are indeed too bright and others feel like they came out better in their brightness, indeed. This is in stark contrast to my TV screen, which indicates that my brightness and what the game data detects are not in sync. Perhaps I should tinker with it?

Genos is my favourite, perhaps because he is the most different, though he does remind Le Bello of a Final Fantasy spin-off character, but it is still a solid design, and one of the rare cases in which a brighter palette works. The operatic mask and white hair lend a certain tragic look to the character - Which of course tells his story from the get-go.

Would Le Bello believe this design was given pointers from another inspiration? I took heavily from a friend who inspired me to make this character and who heavily influenced this work. The most unique portion of this work with my hand was his portrait which became his character card (one that came out to my liking). However, I am impressed with how Genos became fully fleshed out, as he was far more whimsical when my friend fully created him in SCIV.

Fun fact: Genos and Emily was a spin on Raphael and Amy as Genos evolved over time for humor. Genos forever searches for his beloved, especially in the forest because "EMILY'S IN THE RIVER!!!!" leading to many ringouts.

Kudos to the Kuja. It's disgusting how good it is!

Le Bello's brutal honesty is strangely heart warming. I appreciate.

I MUST mention the clever use of the Voodoo Breastplate and the Eye sticker on Voiiarraka to create something particularly creepy and demonic looking, easily the most striking aspect to her design, and yet it still looks unbalanced. Did you build the character around the eyeball, or add it for dramatic effect? Because I think centering it around her nightmarish chest (Cease the gutter-mindedness!) would make for a more powerful and memorable design.

I believe it was added as an afterthought as my process often goes in the order of body>face>Body Coloring>Body Marking>Equipment>Equipment Coloring>Equipment Marking. Likely I, like you, recognized how perfectly it fit and how striking it was when looking through Motifs to add and hastily placed it without doing the proper measurements (how embaressing!).

I will check, confirm, and update if needed to correct this oversight. My thanks.

The rest of your (non-female, non-Kefka) characters all seem a little bit samey, lots of heavy armour and a large use of the scaled fold makes them all less impacting then they clearly deserve to be - Again Le Bello suggests playing around with their designs a little, try to make each character a little less different from the others.

Agreed. This is partially rooted in the fact I like cultures to stay with similar designs or influences to show they are from the same area (such as the residents of Hordat all sharing similar clothing and armor pieces such as Damnation with the G. Soldiers who in turn share similarities with the D. Soldiers). However, you are correct in that I find it hard to branch away from certain pieces due to the face I feel few other pieces flow or work well (Svaka and Gewdes are not from the planet of Hordat yet I feel there are few other items to work with their outfit).

Gewdes did not have that fauld or anything like it in his SCIV outfit and I drew heavy inspiration from there when redesigning his new outfit. Svaka and Subtala took hasty redesigns of their original outfits (#9 of the Grand Ten has never been cemented in my lore and Subtala's outfit was radically altered once Talim was off the roster) so Svaka could use some editing. I agree, I should focus Svaka on a mix of barbarian and medium armor, maybe add more sci-fi in the mix, distinguish him and his culture since he is the one that is obviously the most alien of the Grand Ten currently shown.

My other works have generally more variation but you are right, I have a lot of experiments to try on characters and even more I need to upload onto my USB in order to have them reviewed. My experiments with alien species provided good results but my male characters obviously need to diversify. So many ideas, so little space.

Otherwise a strong and promising start - There's a lot of potential here, and your remakes show you know how to use the parts well, so I look forward to seeing how they're utilised even further as time goes on.

Best of luck, you have Le Bello's full support and most of his attention. Godspeed!

There is so much to be uncovered and tinkered with in CAS, my mind races in awe at the possibilities. How exciting. I have an ample amount of data to know how I should proceed. My thanks, Le Bello. You can expect the fruits of my research very soon in future, new creations.

--Forgon

In order for Le Bello:

Some are indeed too bright and others feel like they came out better in their brightness, indeed. This is in stark contrast to my TV screen, which indicates that my brightness and what the game data detects are not in sync. Perhaps I should tinker with it?

It's possible that's true - What saturation level (0-9) do you tend to use on your CaSs? Le Bello finds that anything ranging between 3-5 seem to work best on armour and leather.

Would Le Bello believe this design was given pointers from another inspiration? I took heavily from a friend who inspired me to make this character and who heavily influenced this work. The most unique portion of this work with my hand was his portrait which became his character card (one that came out to my liking). However, I am impressed with how Genos became fully fleshed out, as he was far more whimsical when my friend fully created him in SCIV.

Genos IS the most unique design, so Le Bello can see that. I'm glad he's less whimsical however, it seems to fit his story to be more down to earth and humanised. And Le Bello must say, you're the most skilled at Character Cards Le Bello has seen, bravo!

Fun fact: Genos and Emily was a spin on Raphael and Amy as Genos evolved over time for humor. Genos forever searches for his beloved, especially in the forest because "EMILY'S IN THE RIVER!!!!" leading to many ringouts.

Le Bello finds that a lot of characters start by being based blatantly on other characters, before evolving into their own unique personas, and it's a method Le Bello finds appealing - It's rare that a CaS with no pre-thought comes out well, so having something in mind, something to work for and from, always helps to create more satisfying designs. Le Bello didn't mention Emily before, but on a second look I do find her design to be very nice, and less generic than most. Perhaps a bit heavy on the patterns however, they affect the "innocent" look Le Bello assumes you were going for?

It's certainly an outfit that would be difficult to swim in =|;}

Le Bello's brutal honesty is strangely heart warming. I appreciate.

Lying never got anyone anything, Le Bello believes. Honesty is the path to righteous and poverty.

I believe it was added as an afterthought as my process often goes in the order of body>face>Body Coloring>Body Marking>Equipment>Equipment Coloring>Equipment Marking. Likely I, like you, recognized how perfectly it fit and how striking it was when looking through Motifs to add and hastily placed it without doing the proper measurements (how embaressing!).

I will check, confirm, and update if needed to correct this oversight. My thanks.

Le Bello meant that the design should be built around the chest-eye, being her most distinguishing feature. The rest of the outfit should strengthen this aspect and draw attention to it, without being too in-your-face about it. As for the maths, Le Bello isn't certain whether it is correctly lined up or not. But it's good to triple check everything regardless!

Agreed. This is partially rooted in the fact I like cultures to stay with similar designs or influences to show they are from the same area (such as the residents of Hordat all sharing similar clothing and armor pieces such as Damnation with the G. Soldiers who in turn share similarities with the D. Soldiers). However, you are correct in that I find it hard to branch away from certain pieces due to the face I feel few other pieces flow or work well (Svaka and Gewdes are not from the planet of Hordat yet I feel there are few other items to work with their outfit).

Gewdes did not have that fauld or anything like it in his SCIV outfit and I drew heavy inspiration from there when redesigning his new outfit. Svaka and Subtala took hasty redesigns of their original outfits (#9 of the Grand Ten has never been cemented in my lore and Subtala's outfit was radically altered once Talim was off the roster) so Svaka could use some editing. I agree, I should focus Svaka on a mix of barbarian and medium armor, maybe add more sci-fi in the mix, distinguish him and his culture since he is the one that is obviously the most alien of the Grand Ten currently shown.

Le Bello feels your pain that there's not a lot of variation in armour. However there are enough stylistic features to create two heavily armoured, similar but separate cultures. Consider one wearing the more ferocious looking armours, whereas another could have the simple, more practical designs?
Regarding a barbarian look, Le Bello finds that the simple armoured arms and legs work well with fur shoulders and scarves, but this may take away from the Sci Fi nature of the character. Hmm... A tricky one.

My other works have generally more variation but you are right, I have a lot of experiments to try on characters and even more I need to upload onto my USB in order to have them reviewed. My experiments with alien species provided good results but my male characters obviously need to diversify. So many ideas, so little space.

You certainly have race variation down to a 'T', whatever that means, so a little more experimentation into the clothing and styles and you could become one of the best CaS's on the forums. Le Bello suggets reading Gatsu's CaS thread. That man is the Edge Master of CaS.

There is so much to be uncovered and tinkered with in CAS, my mind races in awe at the possibilities. How exciting. I have an ample amount of data to know how I should proceed. My thanks, Le Bello. You can expect the fruits of my research very soon in future, new creations.

--Forgon

How long have you been using SCV CaS? I agree that it is much deeper then perhaps it first appears, especially when you begin playing with the Extra Equipment and textures. Le Bello expects many great things, considering the impressive groundwork that you've already set.

Best of luck in your ventures!

Very, very interesting fantasy world you've created ;) Reminds me for some reason of the 'Deltora Quest' series... Errr... never mind, you probably don't know it ^^;
All I'd say is to consider reworking Damnation's costume and the pants on Subtala 'cause she's my favorite right now ;) Good work!

This happens to me as well, TV =/= computer monitor. Because of this, I can't complain about anyone's color choices and assume the colors looked fine on their TV

Very, very interesting fantasy world you've created ;) Reminds me for some reason of the 'Deltora Quest' series... Errr... never mind, you probably don't know it ^^;
All I'd say is to consider reworking Damnation's costume and the pants on Subtala 'cause she's my favorite right now ;) Good work!

Thank you. Its an extremely particular time period of relatively minor characters in a larger universe but I have a habit of trying to fill every gap in the universes I made. I am humbled by your compliment all the same.

I only request for more specific suggestions so I can understand where you dislike my direction. Would you like the corrupted noble to have a more humble appearance? Perhaps Subtala's camo clashes too much for your eyes? If I do not implement it on the characters themselves, it will still provide adequate data for future creations.

This happens to me as well, TV =/= computer monitor. Because of this, I can't complain about anyone's color choices and assume the colors looked fine on their TV

'Tis a pitty. Still, I agree I am too attached to making my characters look "clean" and need to rectify that in at least my future works although I have already worked on at least making the subtle details of some of my posted works more "gritty" per say.

That Nightmare is incredibly awesome.

You make me blush. I find only the character card worth eying; the Nightmare itself needs work. Perhaps once a Character pack DLC releases Nightmare's armor I will return to this work and "spruce" it up.

--Forgon

I just realized, I completely overlooked Le Bello! Forgive me!

It's possible that's true - What saturation level (0-9) do you tend to use on your CaSs? Le Bello finds that anything ranging between 3-5 seem to work best on armour and leather.

I use generally 6-9, although that may be the problem. I have yet to detach myself from making my characters look "clean" so I need to reconsider their coloring.

Genos IS the most unique design, so Le Bello can see that. I'm glad he's less whimsical however, it seems to fit his story to be more down to earth and humanised. And Le Bello must say, you're the most skilled at Character Cards Le Bello has seen, bravo!

Consistency. The opponent must first see the card before the character. First impressions and a strong image can do wonders to give the right vibe for a character, or help visually tell his story.

Damnation's more noble warrior garments and angle in his portrait are meant to reflect and oppose Genos's portrait. These differences are clearly seen by the distinct colors of their frames, the direction they are facing, and the angle of their heads. In contrast, the faceless grunts of bother their armies are numbered by thousands and are nameless foot soldiers commanded by our titular characters. As a result, the dehumanizing symbols with an effect to draw attention to the actual insignias does more to show they represent and serve their lord, and nothing else.

Le Bello finds that a lot of characters start by being based blatantly on other characters, before evolving into their own unique personas, and it's a method Le Bello finds appealing - It's rare that a CaS with no pre-thought comes out well, so having something in mind, something to work for and from, always helps to create more satisfying designs. Le Bello didn't mention Emily before, but on a second look I do find her design to be very nice, and less generic than most. Perhaps a bit heavy on the patterns however, they affect the "innocent" look Le Bello assumes you were going for?

It's certainly an outfit that would be difficult to swim in =|;}

Le Bello and Forgon share an important secret of the world. Human technology and, by extension, their culture so, by extension, their art are built upon past inspiration and works for self advancement: appropriation.

If nothing was similar to something else with a few added flairs, then there would be no change. A thought does not suddenly become a masterpiece. It goes through time, effort, and many phases.

Lying never got anyone anything, Le Bello believes. Honesty is the path to righteous and poverty.

An appreciated fact.
[/quote]

Le Bello meant that the design should be built around the chest-eye, being her most distinguishing feature. The rest of the outfit should strengthen this aspect and draw attention to it, without being too in-your-face about it. As for the maths, Le Bello isn't certain whether it is correctly lined up or not. But it's good to triple check everything regardless!

I will reevaluate her current idea. Perhaps a 2p to draw that out more?

Fun fact: The Ten Lords do not have definite physical form as they do not exist in the physical realm. Voiiarraka has many depictions by sentients and this is simply one, one I created based upon the most common depiction I actually drew. It looks nothing like the original but I have grown fond of it. Another with suffice, centered upon the eye. I have a feeling I will be referencing Charade today.

Le Bello feels your pain that there's not a lot of variation in armour. However there are enough stylistic features to create two heavily armoured, similar but separate cultures. Consider one wearing the more ferocious looking armours, whereas another could have the simple, more practical designs?
Regarding a barbarian look, Le Bello finds that the simple armoured arms and legs work well with fur shoulders and scarves, but this may take away from the Sci Fi nature of the character. Hmm... A tricky one.

While clothes are simple and vary widely, there are few armors that are actually as simple and plain for us to work with. DLC has helped rectify this problem but until we have armors like Nightmare, Siegfried, Kilik, and Mitsurugi, we will still have too few more simpl armors and even then, they will not vary enough.

However, the trick is that a science fiction story that is so heavily rooted in fantasy has many outlets and can bend many rules, and since they already use swords and shields, it is not unbelievable that Svaka would dress in something cultural and unique but it would be sturdier and more protective then it looks.

You certainly have race variation down to a 'T', whatever that means, so a little more experimentation into the clothing and styles and you could become one of the best CaS's on the forums. Le Bello suggets reading Gatsu's CaS thread. That man is the Edge Master of CaS.

CAS gives quite the variety to play with faces and create creatures that look like colored humans to making outrageous monsters. However, even aliens need to have some appeal, and the trick is making them look appealing but still diverging them from the common human appearance. A difficult thing to toy with but one that is so fun to experiment with.

How long have you been using SCV CaS? I agree that it is much deeper then perhaps it first appears, especially when you begin playing with the Extra Equipment and textures. Le Bello expects many great things, considering the impressive groundwork that you've already set.

Best of luck in your ventures!

I have used it since SCV came out but have been brain storming and making considerations since before its release. Building upon my sketches I made of old characters from SCIV (some I cannot reference no more because they were lost forever to many, many times data was corrupted because of power surges when saving my files. It made me sad) I have either revamped their original, more simplistic designs or added new works to compliment them (hence the Damnation and Genos Soldiers).

Other are terrible because of the new engine's effect on old armor (Gorgon armor makes Damnation's elite guard look terrible now that female Gorgon armor looks deformed).

However, the potential exists and Gatsu has already inspired me to take new steps to improving my methods and techniques. So much to do, so little time.

--Forgon

Forgon, i read your contribution in the other thread about tips and tricks, you seem to be the master of CAS R&D, yet your CAS failed to impress me...i really like the words you pick, very amusing, in a sorta Pocky Yoshi way...
BUT I am sure you can do better with your knowledge of the advanced techniques, give it more time and hear my humble advice...and ask yourself : is a blue ninja with balls in the back worth posting ?

I am more interested in a CAS with persona that catches the eye at first glance than a wall of text...as the saying goes, the soul's emphasis is always right ;o)

sorry if i am being too harsh, but i was really captivated by your research (and others')...but you should not ignore basic tips 1, 2 and 5 for your collection to come...

Recipe on how to make a good/great CAS :
1 - get a fresh idea (i get mine from movies, comics, own sketches, mythology, whatever...), or a theme, preferrably one that has not been done 1000 of times (or just for practicing the editor, then don't need to post it, right ?)
2 - see what style fits the idea best / and then if a weapon in this style fits your CAS (ie. my Caligula with Hilde's trident, or My Fake Ashigaru Hilde, two very different souls with same style)
3 - start working on the first layer of work to make sure your CAS will look good once partially naked (armor break), meaning skin tone and stickers, underwear (nothing worse than a pristine looking feral CAS with pink underwear, hey !), stickers, textures, hairstyle, face tatoo, eye color and so on and so forth...
4- pick the right equipment pieces (with all the tips mentioned before) and assemble before working on colors and patterns individually...if you stumble upon incompatibilities, you are very very unlucky (looooooooooooooool)
5- pick up realistic colors and patterns, give additional texture work to CAS parts you want to stick out (ie. the arms of my War)
6-add stickers as you see fit
7-add special equipment (if you think you lack one slot, think outside the box to save one slot, there is almost always a workaround)
8-do not forget to pay special attention to the voice before you finish editing (the voice dictates what quotes your character will say, so if you do a fierce looking female warrior, don't give her the preteen voice
9-take time to make a nice thumbnail that is pleasing to the eye

if you are unsure to be able to undo (you can undo only one step), finish editing to save, edit again and only quit with b if you messed up ;o)

Forgon, i read your contribution in the other thread about tips and tricks, you seem to be the master of CAS R&D, yet your CAS failed to impress me...i really like the words you pick, very amusing, in a sorta Pocky Yoshi way...
BUT I am sure you can do better with your knowledge of the advanced techniques, give it more time and hear my humble advice...and ask yourself : is a blue ninja with balls in the back worth posting ?

I am more interested in a CAS with persona that catches the eye at first glance than a wall of text...as the saying goes, the soul's emphasis is always right ;o)

SNIP

sorry if i am being too harsh, but i was really captivated by your research (and others')...but you should not ignore basic tips 1, 2 and 5 for your collection to come...

In order:

1- I assumed my OCs were fresh ideas. Do I disappoint? If this is directed toward my cosplays, well yes, I did disclaim at the beginning they are my worst, despite my pride in them, so I do believe you can righteously sentence me for a failure. As for my OCs, I must be either boring you with familiarity or I need to get my bios for them set up sooner then I thought. Either way, a drag. How troubling.

2-I assumed I had followed that through as well. I must have misled myself for not recognizing my own failings. How dreadful.

3-I find this subjective. If you are a good player with the character, you should not have to worry about being armor broken ;). Also, creating barriers because if armor was broken the "look" would appear poor is a barrier of the game. My OCs are either drawn from my works or drawn based on what I made in CAS. Limiting my lore by what looks good because of an independent variable I cannot control does not rub kindly with me.

4-My process is in accordance with this rule, I see no issue.

5-Agreed, I am attached to "clean" colors and designs for my characters but it is true, that is in line with my cartoonist self and not my photo-realistic self so I should try to balance myself more towards the middle, no?

6-Absolutely.

7-Quite.

8-Indeed.

9-Do my character cards displease you? Tell me which ones you dislike for I will immediately place them on probation for revision should I find your reasoning sufficient.

I approve of your criticism; it is welcome. It is obvious we don't have similar tastes but I am a compromiser and a seeker of advancement. I shall take this into consideration. However I have many more that I have yet to show and I am sure they are not to your standards. Oh well, I might as well post them so I begin collecting data from you all's observations.

Coming here was an exciting experience indeed. I approve.

--Forgon

I shall clarify. At least in my opinion (correct me if I am indeed wrong)I find your inspirations are more heavily drawn from more photo realistic sources such as live action or comic styled, while mine appear to be more heavily influenced by brighter, more cartoon-like sources.

While I admit, the coloring is a bit darker in a majority of my images than what my images do show, that does not hide the fact that they are generally brighter and (I reuse this term again) "cleaner" in their coloring and approach than some of your works which are clearly more focused on making them appear "grittier" and more in-line with real life.

Pulling out random images for comparison, I find our styles differ in that I focus more on something like this compared to this and this compared to this. As a disclaimer: I do like the style to an extent, but it is clearly not the direction some of my works have gone (hence my view of an apparent dissonance but once again correct me if I am wrong).

This does not exclude me from your argument, of course. You are correct, there are places I feel I need to improve and details that I feel I should add to give it a more "realistic" flare as my work could indeed use some work. However, I require specifics if I am to collect the necessary data. Disect my works, isolate variables, provide observations of appearance and flow so that I, Forgon, may improve the quality of my work.

--Forgon

ok, i understand...
But...your wrollicks and your toranelyans (sorry if i misspell them ;o) look like pre-alpha CAS, concept work at best. There is some substance to it, don't misunderstand, fly theme for the first one, and 5th element sort of theme for the second one, but they lack depth and details. The choice of the leathery texture for the fly body for instance is kind of lazy, if you ask me...you could do so much more with that good start...

Cartooney for sure, but not in the right sense. Take my Ewoks, they are very cartooney, yet very intricate, in terms of design and texture/paint work.

The groundwork is there, taste is one thing, but should not be an excuse for throwing half-baked CAS at the community...watch and learn from Chobek, Murasame and Gabe, and show us what you are made of...Forgon the uberlitterate ;o)

Ewok (is not gritty and...) says : Add some MEAT (yummy) to your CAS ! ;o)

c2r2vb1wle9nochvx.jpg

last pic i post on your thread, no attempted invasion there, keep cool ;o)

Ah, some specifics. That is most helpful, thank you. Yes, actually, the species themselves are in fact alpha designs. If they offend you, my apologies. I put them there for a visual of my earlier response to Le Bello's thread for some tips I stated (being the upside down heart being used as a walrus mouth and the leather suit with the snake skin making an insect like body skin).

The Tonarelyan (don't ask about the name) is supposed to be human like with its body proportions and head supposed to distinguish it, so it was virtually finished. As for the Wrollick, I am curious as how I could have made it better, as its direction was just to get the general idea before I developed a character from it. Any particular suggestions? It is not supposed to deviate from the human skeleton too much but I am curious as how I can distinguish it more.

Your ewok is an example of something I would judge a little closer to where I want my work, however the eyes alone are something that is not within the boundaries of my style, (excellent work by the way, I like it).

Also, don't feel discouraged from posting pics for comparison if you don't want to simply post links, I encourage debate and discussion; this is a learning experience as much as it is a sharing experience for me.

Am I really that literate? :D Thank you for the compliment, but there is something about those eyes that unsettle me. Its as if they have seen the deaths of thousands of faceless white men as some sort of cruel twist on an adorable teddy bear... I must be imagining things. Onto more important matters...

...like my Shade! The hollow husks of men: the servants of Dyakka, Deity of Vengeance and Bloodflow. It was said that dying men who died in liquid fire fell to the Realm of Blood where Dyakka does reside. Pierced through their mind, heart, and gut, the souls of men fall from their skin and the Lord does claim what remains.

Shade
soulcalibur132.png

soulcalibur133.png

soulcalibur134.png

soulcalibur135.png

soulcalibur136.png

soulcalibur137.png

soulcalibur138.png

soulcalibur139.png

soulcalibur140.png

soulcalibur141.png

soulcalibur142.png

soulcalibur143.png

A quick self critique of mine. I feel the skirt and pants should have a certain texture but I am stuck between choosing a net pattern to make it look like woven thread or something more subtle.Any suggestions are welcome.

This one was a test of several experiments I have done and techniques I have learned but have not used. I felt it came together quite well but who cares what I think! What do you think?

--Forgon

Reactions: Sha
I think the blood on his head should match the color of the blood on the body. I know that color happens to be pink, and I know it's frustrating not being able to get red on undergarment layers (believe me, I'd fought with this conundrum before >:( ), but matching makes it that much more believable.Maybe even make it green or black blood, if the pink is too much of an eye sore.

Other than that, the main features/details look good (the spikes & blood look fantastic!), but I'm personally not a fan of the huge skirt/samurai pants.

Back