Mega Man Zero Collection

Yeah I posted a vid of it in the other megaman topic. No US release date announced yet unfortunately

I really like the series, especially the first game. The mission/story based levels were a great change of pace for megaman games.

2 is still good but I hate the level designs (so many pit deaths)
3 is really easy, like REALLY easy but fun anyway
4 I don't remember too much. i think this is the only one I didn't beat, not because it was too hard but because I lost interest (I think I got to the final boss though)

Talking about the that didn't seem to make it. Neat little tidbit: it's funny how all but the 2nd game had slightly altered jump mechanics where if you stopped holding a direction while mid-jump, you would still continue to move in the last direction instead of falling straight down.

I'll definitely pick up the Zero collection if it comes here, possibly import if it doesn't. It'd be great if there's a little new content. The "new modes" sound interesting enough but hopefully it's more than Time Attack mode...

Forget lost code. :p Aren't the roms easily avaliable ? What's to stop Capcom from obtaining the roms and programming them to work on console ? It's not like the emulators aren't open source. >_< I guess it wasn't in much demand or something. :\ At least we got the MMX Collection for PS2. :D That took forever to release as well. :p

[youtube="Megaman X Collection"]wx-bOTd6M4o[/youtube]

Back on topic. :p I always like MMZ 1 and 2 myself. :p I may actually buy it once i rebuy a DS. :D

*smack bump!*

So, The MMZ Collection is just that, a collection. Nothing majorly updated, remade or remastered with the core games themselves.

It looks like they might be emulating the MMZ games, which can be seen with a black border comparable to playing a GBA game on a DS. More evidence to suggest this can be found when you want to set up the game controls to use the X and Y buttons; you need to configure the separate 'hacked-in' options displayed on the touch screen. You don't actually set X and Y to anything. You have them emulate whatever button you want, and then that button will perform whatever action it's configured to in-game.

There's no slowdown though, that's a plus for me 'cause it was more of an annoyance than a benefit in the sections that it happened.

Script's still the same, even still has Ciel saying "What's now?" in MMZ1 when you want to save your game.

Music is different, I can't say if it's better or worse, but "MIDIfied" was the first word to come to my mind, if that makes any sense.

And the goodies they added: wallpapers, character cards and MMZ3 E-reader mod cards. The wallpapers and character cards are just purdy pictures for you look at but the mod cards change certain features of MMZ3, depending on which ones you activate.

Easy Mode Scenario is a straight play through from the beginning. It starts you off in Ultimate Mode, which is having all elves activated and command inputs to quickly execute charge attacks (don't know about MMZ4 though). There is only one save file.

hmm yeah I'm gonna call about it tomorrow. music being "MIDIfied" sounds bad. sounds like it's generally a good port/collection though?

edit: just got it, very pleased. gonna try going through them in order

hmm yeah I'm gonna call about it tomorrow. music being "MIDIfied" sounds bad. sounds like it's generally a good port/collection though?

edit: just got it, very pleased. gonna try going through them in order

Sorry for my noobishness, but what does "MIDIfied" mean?

Nvm what I said, I'm grasping for words to describe it. Other people say that the sound is clearer, so let's go with that

mizu-kitsu: "midi" is another type of music file like "mp3" but it is lower quality

It seems fine to me though. To notice difference I'd have to try the old GBA game and do a side to side comparison. May also be due to different speakers on different DS models compared to GBA speakers.

Try listening with headphone though if you can. I just tried and it's pretty nice you can hear more details in the music than normal.

but yeah very happy with it, I'll be playing this a lot

hmm sounds like it was edited in the GBA ones as well, but not a big deal I think

Just beat MMZ1 today on the collection (this makes my 3rd time counting the GBA original) so I'm gonna move on to MMZ2 next. I gotta say though, the bomb deactivating stage and the final boss are JUST as hard as I remembered. -_-

It looks like the script was altered after all, if only slightly. I guess in order to keep the ESRB rating to E, they removed/altered all references to death/dying. One early example you can see is near the end of the first level of MMZ2, where Harpuia says "To live or perish" instead of "To live or die".

Also, damn MMZ2's hard mode is pretty challenging with 2x damage, a couple of attacks drain half life. And if you liked MMZ1's bomb disarm stage, I'm sure you'll love MMZ2's bomb disarm one heh

I forgot there was one in MMZ2. I just remember there were multiple stages with cheap pit deaths all over the place. I tried to play through it a second time years ago and gave up cause I was so irritated by the stage designs. I'm planning to go through them all in order though.

Started playing MMZ1. Its fun but theres one thing that confuses me... the ELVES! I don't really under stand them at all -_-' what does feeding them do and which ones are important. and I'm to understand that there are a set amout of elves in each mission? does that mean, if i miss one in a mission, I missed it for the whole game? do they go away if I use them (haven't really used any yet). Can anyone give me some elf pointers? THANKS!

Alright here's how elves work in MMZ1

- you find elves in stages, sometimes they are dropped from enemies (these are generally the low grade ones), sometimes they are these white box things
- you can return to most stages you have already beaten by manually walking to that area from the base (for example, heading upward and left from the base will take you to the desert area). if you find a trans server (teleporter) in that area you can warp back to base from there, and when you do it will allow you to warp straight to that point from base as well
- when an elf is onscreen (released from inside enemy or container) it will float upward or downward to whatever level zero is at. example: if zero is under the elf the elf will float downward
- elves with big pictures (the box with their portrait is bigger) are often permanent when they take effect. for example, using a "shelter" elf will boost your defense for the rest of the game
- some elves cannot be used until they are fed crystals
- using elves at ALL will hurt your ranks when you beat stages. if you use a once time use elf it will only hurt your rank for that stage, if you use a permanent one it will give you a penalty for every stage for the rest of the game. the more elves used the bigger the point penalty.
- if you use an elf they are gone forever (Ciel used the elf "passy" to free zero but passy is gone forever now, townspeople tell you this as well)

the basic idea of the elf system is that if you are having trouble you can use them to help you, but it will decrease your ranks (which don't really matter in MMZ1 generally). if you want to be macho and beat everything without using elves you will avoid penalties and can get higher ranks than you would otherwise

also I don't think the games in this collection are censored any differently than the US ver GBA games, because those were rated E as well (and I really haven't noticed a difference)

Cool, I don't think I'm going to be a perfectionist for the 1st game play. But the 2nd time around I'm going to try to get Jackson so that would mean not USING any elves but COLLECTING them all, right?

I think you also need to get an A or S at every level and collect every single cyber elf. On hard mode.

reason I've never done hard mode for more than one stage? what's the fun in not being able to level your weapons? I'm stuck with a one hit slash and can never do any charged element attacks ever???? BORING

personally I've beaten MMZ1 on normal mode 3 times (2 on GBA, 1 on collection) and I can't recall if I've beaten it without using elves but on my most recent play I ended up using one to raise my defense for the final boss cause I hate it (I still don't understand how to evade the laser spread attack)

Back