Most Esteemed One-Shot Contest Thread.

@Ramus: Yeah, I actually had you in mind for this one (in a thoroughly platonic way, of course). I love this style, but I burned out all my ideas on the Mirror Match thread, so I was hoping I could steal some from other ppls lol. I'd prefer that you make something new, but it's also ok if you post a revision/overhaul of one of your existing CaS.
@Norik: Cuz I like doing things to you *tehee* <3 ..... JK
@orangeislands31: 2 weeks, but if you need a few extra days to descend from your personal rainbow, then s'cool too.

Here's my entry.

ANTONINA IVANOVNA
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_3.png.jpg

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_6.jpg

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_8.png.jpg

Notes: Hat is sphere (scale pattern) + flower + feather. Square sticker (axis) + three heart stickers (view) + boot's preset heart for right leg. Random stickers on face for barely perceptible hair extensions. Dot pattern throughout to emulate mesh. Hat inspired by Ziegfeld girl fashion. Mismatched socks inspired by Maka's casual outfit from Soul Eater. Blue/pink/white/black kinda reminds me of Tekken's Alisa. Don't know how she ended up Russian, but I heard cosplay is pretty popular there. Also could be because all foreigners have funky hair colors in anime.

Bio: This Russian gal abandoned her rustic hometown for Japan in pursuit of the way of the goth-loli. The journey, however, was fraught with peril, and she was forced to defend herself from a veritable cornucopia of evildoers. Good thing she's been chugging vodka, wrestling bears, and knifing ignorant capitalists for as long as she can remember. Wait, what does vodka have to do with anything? The answer is …… everything.

Last edited:
So here is my entry,
First, Buce entry is very unorthodox , but in a very good way, it feel more urban, but the colors break wthis because they fallow the basic etiquette so it gives balance.

Here is Mary.
soulcalibur-_17-png.39545
soulcalibur-_18-png.39546

"With no kindness left in her soul, there was a deep yellow rose."

Note: As you Can see, the pieces choices are very orthodox, and safe, but the colors break away from the obvious I hope, when I saw Bruce's entry, I knew that there would be some conflict between our characters haha, since his is more urban than mine.
Yellow roses can mean many things but there are two I wanted to keep at sight, "Remember me." and "Second Intentions." So like I said, it is a very orthodox and safe design, but I hope you guys like it.

Attachments

• SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_17.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_17.png
    620 KB · Views: 1,684
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_18.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_18.png
    652.6 KB · Views: 1,337
@orangeislands31 is currently experiencing technical difficulties, so I'll be posting her entries along with her commentary on her behalf.

1. ORANGEISLANDS31'S MYSTERY GIRL IN BLACK
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_34.png.jpg

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_32.png.jpg

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ.png.jpg

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_27.png.jpg

@orangeislands31's notes: Oki doki, so this bitch's name is [Insert creative Lolita name here] and I decided to create the first outfit to appear more gothic and dark, while the second contrasts the first. I used the merveilleuse dress with the hip skirt so there are some minor clipping issues, but I tried to make it blend as much as possible so that it is barely noticeable. I really like how i pulled off the sticker work, the pocket and bow stickers really helped in this one. All in all this style was a lot of fun to play with, and it was somewhat challenging to come up with something original.

Last edited:
@orangeislands31's CaS part deux:

2. ORANGEISLANDS31'S MYSTERY GIRL IN WHITE
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_22.png.jpg

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_20.png.jpg

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_16.png.jpg

@orangeislands31's notes: Here is the second outfit, with a brighter theme (still the exact same CaS, though). I really liked the fishnet in this one, it kind of works with the whole cute and innocent thing she's got going on here. The stickers help complete the dress, although I wish the white stickers on skin would show up juuust a bit whiter. Oh well lol.

Now not that you can tell but I had originally planned to do the whole jolly/ gloomy thing with Tira's style, and I was of course going to go into training mode and take some shots of various animations like I used too. However the pictures were coming out wayyy to blury for my liking so I decided to scrap the idea. Hope you guys don't mind to much.

EDIT: Thanks to brucege (the most awesomest, handsomest, smartest person in teh worlds) for recreating my formulas and uploading the images himself, I appreciate that a lot! =D

Wanted to get in on this action before I forget about it and it ends.

So, step aside, skanks. Best girl coming through.
zlXW6Zb.png

Creation notes:
- The side tail is a Crescent Moon patterned with the tricolor stripes pattern, with two colors matching the hair. The black stripe is meant to construct a hair tie.

- The Chiffon Skirt clips with the tail of the coat, but the tips are detailed with an inverted butterfly sticker, placed by view along the entire body.

*sista neck roll* Mm-mm biyittch you outta yo league. *multiple finger snaps* Get yo white azz back to NASCAR. *stank face*......JK.

One more entry from me.

YURIKO KURIYAMA
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_2.jpg

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_8.png.jpg

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_13.png.jpg

Notes: Aiming for mix of modern and traditional. Thus all the random straps, chains, and ribbons. In case you were wondering, that's a hat-purse chained to her torso.

Bio: One of the founding mothers (?) of goth-loli in 1607 AD. Despite her nubile charm, she's actually 37 years old. As such, her style retains a distinct air of traditional Japanese fashion. She scoffs at young, foreign upstarts like Antonina and does everything in her power to suppress them.

Don't mean to double post, but just to set things straight, let's start voting on Sunday 12PM EST. That should give enough time for any stragglers to jump in. Voting will end on Wednesday 12PM EST. If I feel that people are struggling to decide, I may extend the time. If I feel that interest is drying up, I may also cut it short. It's been quite a while since the last contest, so I'm gonna have to test the waters a bit.

P.S. ~ Remember that voting is for individual CaS's, not the creators. In the case of a tie, I will also count second choices, which will have half the value of a first choice.

Last edited:
The gosu-rori contest is officially over, and it's now voting time. As mentioned above, voting will end Wednesday 12PM, but I'll extend or shorten as I see fit. And to clarify, I will be taking votes this time like everyone else.

My vote goes to @Ramus's Mary. The green/blue/yellow/black scheme is unconventional, almost bizarre, at first sight, but the more you look at her, the more personality you see. The austere green and vivid blue clash, evoking a sense of internal conflict and uncertainty while the yellow contributes an air of naivete, timidity, and fear. This is augmented by the small, almost apologetically blooming flowers around her neck and hair. I sense a long, painful story behind that innocuous smile and modest dress. Fascinating.

Notes on other entries
@orangeislands31's Mystery Girl in Black: Excellent detailing. The sticker work around the neck for the collar and ribbon adds a nice touch of punk to the design. What makes her stand out is the tiny, but frequent flashes of white, pink, and gold. My vote for runner-up.

@orangeislands31's Mystery Girl in White: Cute design with the double ribbons and over-sized hat. A skillfully extended blouse with the lion crest sticker. Her guarded posture and upturned eyes in screen cap #3 is pure moe.

@ThePascuzzi's Captain Fabulous: Wah. It's actually really well made for a troll character. Strong sense of direction. A personality that burns so brightly that it seers the eyes. The colors are skillfully balanced. Effective combination of patterns and bump mapping. I like how the hair ribbons (on crescent moon) match the stripes on the leggings. I sincerely believe he would've been one of the strongest contenders (if not the strongest) this round but for the seriously distracting clipping on the back. Props for honest photography though.

@FreeMeal's entry: Excellent technique. Nice job turning that apron into a full dress. Along with them shirt ruffles from some sticker I can't identify. My one qualm with the design is that the purple/green/white color scheme + the orb belt really strikes me as space-age/transformers.

@Limit9999's entry: Cute design based on SC4 Amy. I like the stripes on the socks and the shirt extension with the lion crest sticker.

For me, it came down to three choices, so let's talk about those.

@brucege's first entry was a really cool design, as was his second, but neither of them really fit into the "Gothic Lolita" mould, the first - and I can't recall her name, please forgive me - is certainly more lolita, but not so goth. The second, Yuriko, is the opposite. Whilst very goth, she's more punk than lolita. Both, however, are exceedingly cool creations nonetheless, and I've been stealing ideas from Yuriko. (the hat secured by chains is really cool, and possibly symbolic? And the sticker work to create the straps on her chest/neck is reaaaallly nice.) :P

@orangeislands31's Mystery woman is far more what Gothic Lolita should be - Pseudo-Victorian dress with a focus on elegance and grace. I especially love the sticker work on the arms, and think she's also a very cool design. Another I'll be borrowing from.

But the winner, for me, goes to @Ramus's Mary.
As noted by brucege, the colour scheme is highly unusual, but yet it retains that gothic feel, reminiscent of coiling vines, which fit in with the floral theme and the idea of a "second nature" quite well. Clearly this character has a dark side behind that cheery face.
The subtle additions allow it to break away from looking like a simple maid outfit, making a believable lolita rather than "this looks Victorian ish so it'll do". And the maid-look might even fit into her character.

I really liked seeing this challenge, as there were a lot of great entries from a lot of newcomers, and there wasn't a single weak design in the entire thing. Good job everyone.

Back