My (not so) Secret Project- feedback requested!

CloverGnG

[09] Warrior
So I was trying to be on the down-low about this, but I needed some input from more skilled CaS designers. Inspired by @Gatsu 's Chistmas customs of some of the SCV last year, I took it upon myself to make Halloween costumes for some of the characters this year! Here's what I've come up with so far:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_117.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_118.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_119.png

Aeon doesn't allow for much in the way of customization, the closest being that you buy the DLC pack that has his head as a CaS accessory and put it on a blank. But I think I did well at making do with what was possible for him. I did have him wielding real axes with candy corn-colored handles originally. But I thought coloring his joke weapons to look like candy corn looked better.
]
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_120.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_121.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_122.png

Yoshimitsu also doesn't have a lot of leeway for customization. But after I saw Gatsu turn him into a snowman for Christmas, I figured I shall have a shot at customizing him as well. I originally wanted to go with the "rubber mask" covering his head and adding a henohenomohe for his face. But CaS doesn't really have a lot of decals that look like the necessary hirgana characters for making it (at least not before using up all six slots for decals). Plus, I will have used up the slot that adds a hat to your custom if I used that mask, and you can't have a scarecrow without a hat. So I turned his head into a jack-o-lantern using all three extra slots in the process.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_123.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_124.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_125.png

She's kind of a cross between a black widow (black and red colorscheme + the hourglass shape on the front of her robe) and a tarantula (the fluff around her neck, on her shoulders, and her boots). Overall, I think she looks alright, but there are some things I'm wondering if I can improve on, especially her mask. I wanted to give her the appearance of having more than two eyes like a real spider. But CaS only allows up to four decals on any eligible item (out of the overall six you can have). I ended up putting four eyes on the eye bandages, but I'm wondering if I should try for the eye mask so that she could have the appearance of having six eyes. Oh yeah, that red protrusion from her hand is supposed to be like a fang or stinger. Since her fingerblades aren't part of her weapon, I thought it looked off to have her fighting bare-handed.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_126.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_127.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_128.png

I just had to make some kind of custom with those chain-scythes of his.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_129.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_130.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_131.png

This custom had given me some trouble. I wanted to put some sort of low-cut outfit on Ivy for this custom. But the first piece of clothing I could think of (the low-cut dress) can't be worn with any capes. And you can't have a Dracula-era vampire without a high-collar cape. Eventually, I decided on the outfit that you see her wearing now, which also has the bonus of baring her midriff. Also, adding fangs to a custom is a major pain, especially since you can never properly center any extras on a custom's face. Anyway, they're supposed to look like they're covered in blood, hence the splotches. I'm thinking I may add an ankh to her outfit later on as well.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_132.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_133.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_134.png

This one seemed perfect for Tira's mood-swings. Also, it was definitely a relief to find that the malfested arm on Pyrrha's top for her "Omega" outfit goes on the same side of the body as the "Phantom of the Opera" mask. Although I do wish there were something that could cover the entire half of a characters face available in CaS. I added the fang to the "Hyde" half of her costume to try and make up for the mask only being able to cover up so much of that half of her face. That probably could've been remedied if CaS allowed you to place decals directly onto a pre-existing character's skin though. Also, do the striped leggings seem like a bit much? I wasn't sure if they looked too Tim Burtoney.

Any critiques for the customs I've done so far along with suggestions for costumes for any of the other SCV characters would be appreciated, especially if someone can suggest a particularly douchey Halloween costume for pre-Alpha Patroklos that would be possible in CaS.

Really love that scarecrow Yoshi! Maybe make a Frankensteins monster Astaroth?
You also beat me to this lol
I had Halloween monster creations in mind to do next month.
I did consider Frankenstein's monster for Astaroth. But given that he's already a golem, I figured that was too easy.

Candy Corn Aeon: he certainly is reminiscent of candy corn.

Scarecrow Yoshi: Excellent creation. Best pumpkin head I've ever seen. Good idea rounding out that mask with a sphere. For more natural looking pumpkin ridges, you can use the gradient pattern. Great use of the halos too. The ragged clothes and pants grunge up the design nicely.

Spider Viola: She's somehow got a very legit anime kinda air to her. The black and red's very Halloween-esque while the purple hair's a refreshing splash of color. The fur motif goes well with the tarantula theme. Love the four eyes too. That's an idea I may have to play with later. The spider legs aren't quite as natural-looking as I would've hoped, but they serve their purpose.

The Grim Maxi: Hmmm....he certainly looks the part, but he's lacking in detail. You could use horns SpecEq to add a point to the hood, add some chains SpecEq, or maybe just add some extra spikes. You could also try layering and bump mapping. I strongly recommend that you push him towards an warrior reaper-type design by giving him some detailed armor. Lotsa options.

Vampire Ivy: Nice use of the horns to make the blood stained teeth. The design has a nice classic female vampire feel to it, but you could add some more personal touches if you just remade her as a custom character. Then you can try using the zipper sticker (motif 58) to add some bra straps or something. You can place-by-axis by hitting the reset option on the sticker placement menu to avoid the stretched out look. Or you can use place-by-view, which also works really well. Or you can place some high-detail stickers (like Motif 92) on the chest to extend the breastplate to the neck. If you wanna keep the You can also add a border to the sleeves by applying a pattern first and then covering up the majority of the surface area with a max-sized square sticker (Motif 3). Another popular option is to just spam some ribbon stickers (Motif 62) on the cape or body.

J/H Tira: Cool gothic lolita look with the hat, shawl, and leggings. Convenient how the Pyrrha top has that fucked up hand to amplify the design's asymmetry. Great use of the horn for the single tooth. Remember you can always use stickers to mess up her face like the ogre sticker (motif 44) then blocking off her Jeckyl-half with a square sticker or number 1 sticker. For shits and giggles, you could swap out the Pyrrha top for something more sticker-able. Sure you'd lose the monster arm, but you could always use a gourd with a leather pattern (Ethnic 12) + horn as claws. Then you'd be able to enhance the asymmetry with bump mapping and the like.

I can tell you have an exceptionally good eye for fashion and character design. Great color balance/contrast. Good use of SpecEq. Most importantly, your characters tend to have alotta direction, which is something you can't really teach. Here's some suggestions though. First, try using more armor/bling for the boost in detail. SCV CaS's really geared for warriors. Second, try more layering. Both real clothing and stickers. Those max sized stickers can really work wonders. Anyways, keep up the great work!

Thanks for your input, Bruce! The stickers unfortunately can't be applied directly to the skin on pre-existing characters in CaS, only characters you make from scratch. Otherwise I would take you up on your suggestions to improve Ivy and Tira's costumes. Bump-mapping on clothes is something I've been meaning to play around with on this project since I learned a few tips from the post you made on the subject a while back.. I was trying to make a costume for Natsu (a cybergoth raver chick) and was using your tutorial on making corsets with stickers for part of the outfit. But then I scrapped the idea when I figured a raver wasn't Halloweeney enough.

Lemme reiterate that any suggestions for costumes are welcome, I've made a goal to have at least thirteen customs made by Halloween. Plus, some of you may even have better ideas of what I should dress the SCV cast as than I do, lol.

Alright, here's an update on my project. First, here are some updated versions of some of my previous customs based on @brucege 's suggestions:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_150.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_151.png

You were right, Bruce. The gradients do make the pumpkin look more natural.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_152.png

After struggling with the many horns available to work with, I found out that the singular horn works perfectly for adding a hood point. As for chains and armor, I couldn't figure out any armor setup that looked right on Maxi's costume. I thought the "demonic pauldrons" looked alright though. I may give the matching chestplate a second chance before I finalize anything though.
And now for some new customs!
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_135.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_136.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_137.png

I just wanted to make a custom of a plague doctor, and Raphel's fighting style of glorified poking (aka fencing) seemed appropriate given that's mainly what doctors during the Black Plague used their sticks for.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_138.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_139.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_140.png

I've been wanting to turn Astaroth into a mummy ever since I saw that he had this axe in his arsenal. Alas, the mask I used kind of clashes with the "mummified" undergarment as shown in the second screencap. But it's the closest thing to a deathmask available. And yes, I did go through the trouble to make his exposed heart still be exposed through the bandages.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_141.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_142.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_143.png

I'm sure I'm not the first person to do a Devil-themed custom using Xiba's trident. But I don't care. I wish I were able to make the horns on the mask a different color (like black or a darker red), but I'm still glad with how the mask turned out overall.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_144.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_145.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_146.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_147.png

Hilde was a character that left me stumped as to what costume to make for her. Then I remembered that she also has a trident (albeit, a less conventional-looking one) in her arsenal and almost made her into some kind of succubus. Then I figured that wouldn't be too fitting for Hilde since she doesn't seem to be one for wearing revealing outfits. Then I thought, "Why not make her into a freaky fish lady?" And make her into a freaky fish lady I did. It wasn't easy though. While bat wings may be able to serve double-duty as fins, making them into fins can be pretty difficult depending on what you're doing. making the tailfin especially gave me trouble, and just made me resent that Project Soul didn't have more tail options in with the extra accessories. I think everything else looks alright though. The mask was made by stretching the oni sticker over the "battle mask" and coloring it all green. Also, the pinkish slits on her sides are supposed to look like gills if that wasn't clear. I wanted to make her look more armored. But the one piece of Armor I could find that I thought would work with the costume (the scaled chestplate), but it didn't allow me to do further customization on it with stickers. If Cervantes' 2P armor could be used on female customs, I would've probably integrated that into the design though. Also, I don't know how clearly y'all can see it, but I was able to utilize the tiger stripe texture to make the shaft of her trident look like it was made of wood. I'm kinda proud of myself for doing that.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_148.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_149.png

I dunno, it just seemed fitting for him, being the guy who made Soul Calibur and all. The coat I wanted to use wasn't available for me to use for Algol unfortunately. But I think I did well making do with what was available. Plus, I was still able to add a pocket to the coat I did use to make it look more like a labcoat. This was probably one of the simpler customs I did for this project.

Oh Oh, that Raphael is in my field of expertise, so I shall give feedback:
All the pieces are clean cut fit, but the colors dull down the design, while is true that those doctors have a rather minimalistic design, you could try to make a belt, out of SpcE, the cuff boots seem nice, but laced or engine would work better. Use a Pocket stiker to give the a thicker texture of the coat.
Hope it helps.

It's refreshing to see such integrity in the designs. The creations seem to come straight from history or folklore. Especially that devil. I love the cartoony facial hair. Very Looney Tunes.

I've been here since the start, but as far as I can tell, SCV CaS tends to favor detail and technique over authenticity. Your Hilde, for example, is very well made. Excellent use of the bump mapped patterns for the fishy texture. That mask is disturbing in an awesome way. I like how you carved out the chest with the stickers. The fins and giant ears are skillfully placed too. The difference is that I would've thrown on some random bling like jewelry or chains and maybe even some light armor. Not cuz they really belong there or anything. Just for the extra effort. Not trying to self-promote, but here's how I put random shit on my mermaid.
http://8wayrun.com/attachments/soulcalibur-_34-png-jpg.41422/

Great job with the mummy's beard and heart. For his mask, I'd recommend first applying a yellow sticker around the nose to blend it with the mask. Then apply a pitch black sticker around the eyes for the contrast. Perhaps you could try a stripey pattern on the hat for the King Tut's mask look. You could also swap around the armor to see if you can apply more of that stripey pattern to match the weapon. Maybe apply a random bump mapped sticker like the golden phoenix on the upper body for extra bling. You could also apply a tiger stripe pattern to the mummy wrap for a roughed up look. Obviously you'd have to turn both the orange and black colors white or pale yellow first, but it's ok to use slightly different shades for a subtle stripey texture.

The plague doctor's simple and functional. Maybe you can make an off-hand weapon for him using SpecEq. Like a large, medieval syringe. Possibly a scroll as the tube. a horn for the needle, and a screw for the plunger. Who knows. See if you can burn away those SpecEq slots.

The mad scientist is a good start. The rubber gloves and boots make for a very classic look. I'm assuming he works for the NIH though cuz he's so damn tidy lol. Again, try out some funky patterns for chemical splotches or maybe some stickers (like that whispy mountain-like one near the bottom of the sticker menu). You might be able to make an erlenmeyer flask or round bottom flask (I'm a chemist) out of a cone or sphere + screw. Only needs two SpecEq slots. Maybe apply a max size stripe/gradient pattern to simulate chemical contents. Something else to consider.

Keep it up, man. You goin' strong.

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't been too active in this thread the past couple of days. I got kinda burnt out working on this project and am taking a bit of a break. However, I have updated some of my customs based on the suggestions I was given as well as finally made a costume for Natsu I was actually somewhat satisfied with:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_156.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_157.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_158.png

After attempting to turn Natsu into a rule 63 Jason Voorhees (based loosely on this figurine), a cybergoth raver chick, and a werewolf, I had finally settled for turning her into a bat. I wasn't sure what to do for her outfit at first though. I was originally gonna go with a skimpy leotard, going more for a sexy angle. Then I remembered Natsu is a tomboy and went for something more her style, which resulted in something awfully similar to her 1P outfit but with a heavy Halloween twist. I also stretched a pocket sticker over her suit to give it some more detail. I like how it gives her suit some seams. By the way, yes I did in fact color the sheaths for her knives to look like candy corn.
Anyway, I'll post the updates for my previous customs later.

Alright, so here are some updates of my previous customs!
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_154.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_155.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_159.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_160.png

So the first two screencaps are the changes I made based on @Ramus 's suggestions. The pocket sticker really does give the coat some much needed detail, and the belt was made using the zipper sticker and the box with an ornate-looking texture for the buckle. Then @brucege suggested I give him a syringe and gave me some tips on how to make one. Since the syringe uses up all three extra slots, I had to scrap the box buckle in favor of using another pocket sticker for the buckle.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_153.png

There, I think Maxi's grim reaper ensemble is complete.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_161.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_162.png

Now with more stripes and a sticker on the bandages over Astaroth's face to try and make up for where the bandages overlap with the mask. Also, the headgear ornament is slightly reduced in size. I was gonna add some more texture to the bandages with the tiger stripes like Bruce suggested. But I couldn't get the stripes to look right. All in all, I think I just need a more vibrant yellow for the sticker on his face. The bandages are still pretty visible where they shouldn't be.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_163.png

I was able to give him an Erlenmeyer flask like Bruce suggested using the remaining two slots I had for extras (one of them was already in use to give him some goggles). I was gonna add some chemical blotches too. But I'm not too good at figuring out which stickers can give the appearence of blood or chemical stains. I don't see why Project Soul couldn't add some nondescript blotches for that very purpose. I did try to look for that mountain sticker Bruce suggested I use, but I don't think I have it unlocked yet. I stopped trying as hard to level-up after I unlocked the joke weapons.

And look a new custom!
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_164.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_165.png
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_166.png

Cervantes is one of my favorite characters to play as. So I really wanted to include him in my project. I wasn't sure what to do for his costume though. I almost put him in a really cliche pirate outfit with the stripes, hook-hand, all that shit as a joke. But then I remembered that @Gatsu dressed Viola up for New Year's for his Christmas project. So I thought of doing an outfit for a holiday close to Halloween, The Day of the Dead! I figured it was especially fitting for Cervantes since he is Spanish. Anyway, I'm not totally satisfied with how this came out. So I'm definitely looking for some feedback on this one.

These are awesome! You should take more zoomed out pictures so we can see the final products. I like how the syringe looks so large and ghetto in brown. Kind of a steampunk look. Algol's flask is lookin' even better than I expected. The glow from his weapon looks like fumes from that nasty green shit inside. I didn't mention before, but Asta's heart's very well crafted. Combining bump-mapping and real equipment for the boost in realism. Bat-Natsu's off to a good start. Cute in an athletic kinda way, so it matches her very well. I see you added some armor too. Looks good. Try extending that breastplate upwards or downwards using stickers (like a small grey pocket sticker) or SpecEq (like the screw). The two butterfly and two feathered wing stickers can help add alotta detail too. More stuff worth trying out. That Cervantes is a really cool and distinctly Spanish. Especially those flowers in the skull. Great Mustache too. I can't tell what those black circles around his chin are supposed to be. I've never used that bulky shirt, but here it goes really well with the whole floral kinda theme. I'd try giving him some flashier pants and boots. Maybe a flower pattern on the shoulder cape. Goes well with a toreador kinda theme.

And a hint on Raph's pocket sticker. The default "location" for the sticker is "upper body," but if you switch it to "entire body," you can achieve significantly larger sticker sizes. Stickers placed this way wrap even more around the body and can extend all the way to the bottom of the equipment (rather than fading off somewhere around the waist). You can try adding other stickers (plain or bump mapped) underneath the pocket sticker for more layering effects. You might even try layering some bump mapping on Asta-mummy. If you wanna color in his face/eyes, select sticker, place-by-view, and (here's the trick) hold square and press/hold any D-pad direction to move it there (up, since u wanna hit the face.) Place-by-view doesn't wrap around, but you use it to reach those hard to hit spots (even the feet if u so desire) or for interesting stretch effects.

Excellent job! You learn so quickly, it's kinda scary really lol. When you have the time you should check out other people's galleries for cool tricks and ideas. If you have problems figuring out a particular trick, just ask the OP or I can figure it out for you. Best of luck!

These are awesome! You should take more zoomed out pictures so we can see the final products. I like how the syringe looks so large and ghetto in brown. Kind of a steampunk look. Algol's flask is lookin' even better than I expected. The glow from his weapon looks like fumes from that nasty green shit inside. I didn't mention before, but Asta's heart's very well crafted. Combining bump-mapping and real equipment for the boost in realism. Bat-Natsu's off to a good start. Cute in an athletic kinda way, so it matches her very well. I see you added some armor too. Looks good. Try extending that breastplate upwards or downwards using stickers (like a small grey pocket sticker) or SpecEq (like the screw). The two butterfly and two feathered wing stickers can help add alotta detail too. More stuff worth trying out. That Cervantes is a really cool and distinctly Spanish. Especially those flowers in the skull. Great Mustache too. I can't tell what those black circles around his chin are supposed to be. I've never used that bulky shirt, but here it goes really well with the whole floral kinda theme. I'd try giving him some flashier pants and boots. Maybe a flower pattern on the shoulder cape. Goes well with a toreador kinda theme.

And a hint on Raph's pocket sticker. The default "location" for the sticker is "upper body," but if you switch it to "entire body," you can achieve significantly larger sticker sizes. Stickers placed this way wrap even more around the body and can extend all the way to the bottom of the equipment (rather than fading off somewhere around the waist). You can try adding other stickers (plain or bump mapped) underneath the pocket sticker for more layering effects. You might even try layering some bump mapping on Asta-mummy. If you wanna color in his face/eyes, select sticker, place-by-view, and (here's the trick) hold square and press/hold any D-pad direction to move it there (up, since u wanna hit the face.) Place-by-view doesn't wrap around, but you use it to reach those hard to hit spots (even the feet if u so desire) or for interesting stretch effects.

Excellent job! You learn so quickly, it's kinda scary really lol. When you have the time you should check out other people's galleries for cool tricks and ideas. If you have problems figuring out a particular trick, just ask the OP or I can figure it out for you. Best of luck!
Oh Bruce, you're making me blush, lol! Anyway, I'll definitely see about enhancing Natsu's armor with stickers and such. The pattern on Cervantes' shoulder cape was actually just a placeholder so that it didn't look so plain. So I totally change that to something more flowery too. the weird designs on his chin were actually my attempt at trying to add a border to the skull mask to make it look more like a sugar skull. But there's only so much I can do in that department sadly. As for Astaroth, "place by view" was in fact what I was using for that sticker. Like I said, I think I just need to make it darker or something.
Anyway, my shift at work is about to start. But I will get to touching-up my customs some more later. Don't you worry.

Sorry I've been quiet again. I recently got a new game for my 3DS, Shin Megami Tensei IV. Boy does that game suck you in! Anyway, I have been making some changes to my customs as well as making some new ones. But I think I'm gonna wait until closer to Halloween to show you guys my finished work.

I will say this though. Since Patroklos and Pyrrha are the stars of SCV, I want them to be included in my project. But I don't know what to dress them as. Any suggestions?

I will say this though. Since Patroklos and Pyrrha are the stars of SCV, I want them to be included in my project. But I don't know what to dress them as. Any suggestions?
Well, you could keep'em in-character, or you could surprise us with crazy shit. Red Riding Hood's obvious for Pyrrha. Popular IRL too. Or cute witch à la Kiki's Delivery Service. If she looks plain, spam bump mapping and spin w/ steampunk angle. Goggles and random SpecEq sidearms like wrenches, screwdrivers, nail guns, etc. Or a cool hat. Those rabbit ears make great visors if rotated downwards and merged. Maybe BDSM outfit with blindfold + ball gag via SpecEq/stickers. Spam leather and belts. Maybe tiger-girl. You can use raccoon tails with tiger stripe pattern to add bras, leggings, etc. Feather stickers good for creating furry textures.

Patroklos? I've little XP wit male CaS, but somehow I picture him in a banana suit. If not feasible, maybe a swashbuckler like Zorro or a toreador. Or a pirate. Real popular among the frat boy types. Maybe a cowboy or lone ranger. Westerns got that sense of righteousness that he'd really dig. Definitely need some guns and a sheriff star.

My Thread have quite some Pat and Pyrrha 3P, so maybe you can find something there of your interest, or that it gives you inspiration.

Back