Natsu Questions And Answers / General Discussion

So, I figured this out a while ago but forgot to mention it. The double sidestep you can do off of Natsu's 22_88K can be done without the half circle input. So if you do 22K for example, you only need to press 8 with the K to get the double sidestep. Basically, get a hitbox as this makes this shit easy as fuck to do. Also, it works for other moves that SS in the opposite direction such as Leixia's 22_88B.

22_88K makes Natsu cartwheel back in toward where she stepped from. He's saying you can make it more evasive by doing 228K or 882K.

A while back Fleshmasher found that Natsu's 22_88K cartwheel kick can be made to basically double sidestep by inputting it as 223698K or 889632K which is a half circle input. I realized you can shorten that to 228 or 882 instead making it faster to input. I just forgot to mention it until now.

JUG is not easy and is very high risk high reward. You need to practice it a ton to have any kind of success.

Go to practice mode and play against nightmare. Go to record and have him do 6k then 1a6. Play back the recording as you do a backstep to get CH. here is where the JUG comes in. Press 4g to tech backwards and then time a 2g with when the 1a should hit. If done correctly you will jg it and can proceed to hit him with 4a+b for free.

Another useful one ive worked on is maxi 66b into bl k BE. Usually there is no way to get out of this but you can actually tech forward and JUG it. It gives you a free bt a+b combo.

If Maxi 66B hits you from mid range or further out you can back tech to escape BL K BE. Considering the crazy phantom range 66B has the range where the combo/techtrap works is a surprisingly small fraction of the situations where the move is useful.

Some new tech. Discouraging people from teching backwards after a:6, po a:6 and 66ab ch.

So people who know the natsu matchup know they can tech backwards and then jump a 2a+b to punish natsu. To discourage this near a wall or ring edge, you can ring out with an a+b tech trap or wall splat with FC a+b into a:6.

The FC a+b isn't as reliable simply because if the camera shifts at all, FC a+b might push them too far away to connect a:6.

When I hit an a:6 near the edge that is just a little to far away to ring out I usually go for 2a+b which is a good option, this a+b tech trap will now further discourage teching in that situation.

I need to double check tomorrow but as a great way to get more damage off of a:6 near wall or ring edge that doesn't splat/ring out, if they don't tech it looks like 1a combos for chunky damage. Mix this with the a+b tech trap and you have a nice mixup at the edge.

Holy shit, so I worked all of this out in practice mode. 1a is indeed guaranteed for 64 damage if they don't tech and this is great for situations near the ring edge. Where this really shines is near a wall. In addition to 1a being guaranteed, 44kkk is guaranteed if they don't tech. This also leads to ce with meter for 163 damage!!!!! Even without meter you get 118 from a 1a followup and 132 from 44kk. This does not include possible clean hit damage either.

So good to keep finding new tech with this character.

Slight delay 3b will catch back and right ukemi by the wall for meaty combo as well. So near ring edge go with a+b for ring out and easy timing, near a wall go for a+b for easy timing and moderate damage or 3b for harder timing and big damage.

I've been implementing 3B into my wall combos. A:6~3B~WR K~6A+B~PO~A A:6~3KKK~44KK~1A for guaranteed damage or CE for finish if not teched.

Not necessarily. I tested that several times and the damage was the exact same as the regular A6. But kAb would have better insight.

You can do this for more damage : A:6 W! delay A6 (no JF) W! iWS K, 6A+B4~PO A:6, 3KKK, 1A/CE

Last edited:
Even if you do a 2nd a:6, only the 2nd and third hits connect and not the first, that's why the damage is the same. A:6, 3b was super inconsistent on connecting at close range, almost indistinguishable from a range where it wouldn't work. It's a slight boost in damage as is adding ws k before 6a+b but its reliability means I'll be sticking with the tried and true a:6, a6, 6a+b4, po a:6, 3kkk, ender.

I caught myself using the combo 55 damage (or so damage depending if teched or not) 88B~A:6~4A+Ba (cancel). This combo looks fancy, but it's fairly weak. Even if you end it with 1A.

Doesn't seem like much activity here on this forum in recent times but I wanted to put this across:

I play on Xbox Live with Natsu and the vast majority of my opponents are struggling to react to 4A+B. Now, the usual thing to do here is POR 8B+G, which always works, however I feel guilty doing it. I get called a "bomb spammer", but I think it's their fault for not having the ability to deal with bombs correctly (blocking low for 4A+B, not teching when down, jumping them etc.).

Anyway, I was wondering, when you fight people who constantly get launched from 4A+B, do you unrelentingly POR 8B+G? I find myself pressing K out of PO (which does give a little bit of damage) or even B+K (nothing at all) just to satisfy their whining of air grapples. Oh, and PO B+K is a wonderful move; almost always gets you some low-hit damage in the beginning, and you can go for PO B or HOV B against a conditioned opponent blocking low.

Another thing, 2A+B, followed by the 41236B unblockable works 80% of the time for me, resulting in massive damage. I'd recommend it to any Natsu player who is unsure of how to get quick, easy damage.

Finally, I wanted to recommend the Natsu SoulCast featuring kAb to all here, it's helped me a great deal.

Back