Natsu Questions And Answers / General Discussion

It's like English, you'll learn better by hearing and speaking the language than by memorizing a dictionary.

Anybody else have problems with Maxi? He's become my kryptonite. Every time I try to get in he just slaps me back out with horizontal tracking mids or 6 A+B

I find his strings sometimes difficult to judge and it seems Maxis keep attacking at disadvantage, yet my A:6 never lands in time. Yeah, I find him to be one of the toughest matchings.

Only thing I can say is remember to block his low hit, 2A+B I believe it is. It's fairly predictable, commonly used after they've knocked you down trying to hit you on the rise, and it does big damage.

Read the strings, block the lows, then wait for your advantage before you attack. I land a lot of CHs due to their determination to keep on attacking, allowing for those deadly CE combos.

I also notice Maxis cannot block after doing certain moves, they end up in his special stance where G does nothing.

Anybody else have problems with Maxi? He's become my kryptonite. Every time I try to get in he just slaps me back out with horizontal tracking mids or 6 A+B
Interrupt
Stay in close. The only poking moves Maxi has up close are just his 1K and 2A. 6A+B is more of a whiff punisher.

Maxi has crazy pokes. 2a is super long range as is 3k. 1k, 2b and 1b round out his poking game. While 6a+b isn't a poke per say he can toss it out with impunity, it will track 22a often and you have to step it clean and them punish or it will re track.

Ws b+k is a go to move as well. He gets a reverse moxup on block but if you guess right you can hurt him badly for it. 66b also tacks it well.

Maxi 66b on block leads to a free ws k ch unless they do nothing in which case 4a+b bomb is free.

A+b is good in this matchup, abuse it.

A:6 can punish many stance transitions.

Ch ws k if he is doing 44bak or 1bak. Ch Aab will beat out the b option as a deterrent.

I have a hard time throwing out 4a+ba and 2ba in this matchup mainly due to 6a+b and ws b+k. The trade off if not in your favor at all.

Yeah 4A+Ba and 2Ba seem rather useful here. Maxi's basic AAAB and BBBK strings can easily be interrupted with either of Natsu's i8 moves I'd imagine. I find it challenging to get i10 A in, but the i8 ones should be a bit easier and worth throwing out.

You gotta look at risk reward here.

1. Good maxi isn't going to be doing string/stance nonsense most of the time.

2. If he is it would behoove you to learn where you can 3b or duck wsk/a:6/Aab to beat followups for better damage than 4a+ba.

3. Doing it at neutral or as a frame trap is generally a bad idea since two of his most spammable moves ws b+k and 6a+b will totally defeat it.

The damage you gain from a successful 4a+ba does not outweigh the negative of eating a 6a+b be or ws b+k into combo.

@kAb: Oh you're right apparently even in my own anti Maxi guide i rarely even used Kuzukiri.
My memory failed me in my last small tournament so i was happy when i was able to interrupt Maxi at all with Kuzukiri but it's suboptimal.

@Harry and @Never_Relent please refrain from making posts with just an approval of another post as content like a quote and a "most def".
That's what Likes are for.

6ak is a NC that will RO to natsu left/forward. It has the advantage of allowing a a:6 followup on short wall break to get RO as well. If they don't tech a 6k can followup for respectable damage. It can be ducked and punished though.

6ab is a NCC that gives free 1b followup and is good guard damage. Easy jg bait sadly and not too useful.

Anyone got any tips for how to fight against Astaroth? My strategy has been to get in and try to stay in to avoid fighting at mid range.but I tend to get blown up by CH Bull Rush. It may be because it's 3 bars, but I've tried to A:6 it on block and 66b it on whiff and neither seem to work.

Back