New Arcade Stick User :3

Lamme

[08] Mercenary
Hello!

So I'm finally getting my first arcade stick later today, and damn what a pain in the ass it's been to get one here in Finland. The Soul Edition Madcatz stick is probably the only stick that they're selling here, but I wanted a multi-platform compatible stick so I ended up ordering a QanBa Q4RAF (PS3,X360 & PC ) stick from Ebay for ~140€. (Still around 10€ cheaper than the MadCatz Soul Edition stick)

I've been a pad user since PS1 times, which means that I'm most probably going have a hard time learning basic executions with the stick in the beginning, but I've decided to practice until I'm a better player than what I originally was when I used a pad.
I'm not 100% sure if I'll end up using the stick for 3d games such as SCV, as I'm actually having a good time with my MadCatz FightPad atm, but I'm sure I'll try it out sooner or later.

So here's a few arcade stick questions related to 3d fighting games:

1. In 3d fighting games, is the movement with a stick somewhat clunkier and maybe slower compared to a pad? That's just something I've heard and read about from random users so I'm not sure if it is a fact or just some random rumors. Maybe it's just up to the individual player?

2. What kind of button layout, or should I say button configuration, do you suggest for 3d fighters?
Do you think it's the best option to have your G on the bottom left button (Light Kick in SF games) like on the arcade sticks using the "Noir"/Japanese arcade button layout(you can see an example in the Hori/MadCatz SCV licensed sticks)

3. Most probably somewhat of a useless question, but just in case, do you think there's a difference in the method of learning to play with a stick in 3d games compared to 2d ones? I bet you're just supposed to go to training mode and learn basic execution techniques in both 3d and 2d, but is there something you want to add to this?

P.S. Oh just in case someone was wondering, I have read all of the big arcade stick related stickies over on shoryuken.com so you don't have to bother getting those links for me.

Spanks!

1. In 3d fighting games, is the movement with a stick somewhat clunkier and maybe slower compared to a pad? That's just something I've heard and read about from random users so I'm not sure if it is a fact or just some random rumors. Maybe it's just up to the individual player?
In 3D, you're talking single direction taps (6, 2, 1) or double taps (66, 44, 22). Double taps take more effort to do on stick, because of the nature of the controller (move the stick all the way to its gate, rebound, come back, and repeat). Unless you have wrist discipline where you're barely touching those engage points, a double tap is going to be a relatively big motion. Compare to pad, where a double tap is a quick twitch of the thumb.

Stick is really best for flowing motions, like 63214, or 236236, or 623, etc. Of course this all depends on you- you might not find execution on stick to be that hard, or even easier than pad.

2. What kind of button layout, or should I say button configuration, do you suggest for 3d fighters?
Do you think it's the best option to have your G on the bottom left button (Light Kick in SF games) like on the arcade sticks using the "Noir"/Japanese arcade button layout(you can see an example in the Hori/MadCatz SCV licensed sticks)

layout.jpg

The other buttons can be mapped however you like. This is generally the standard layout.

3. Most probably somewhat of a useless question, but just in case, do you think there's a difference in the method of learning to play with a stick in 3d games compared to 2d ones? I bet you're just supposed to go to training mode and learn basic execution techniques in both 3d and 2d, but is there something you want to add to this?

Not really. It is important to be able to hit your diagonals properly, hitting 1 was trouble for me at first. I found the best way for me was to curl in my middle and ring fingers, kind of like throwing the "horns" hand sign (you know, rock on and all that).

Ohh a very informative reply, thank you! I'll be sure to try out your tips asap.

Ended up using the button configuration you posted above, and with A+B+K on LB/L1. At first, I had it on RT/R2 under K, but I found it hard to move my finger down there and ended up missing a lot of easy combos.
I'm currently using the original B button, which is right of the guard button, as B+G but I might change it.

I'm still very slow when it comes to moving, I can barely side dash with the stick and that's something I really got to practice if I ever want to be on an equal level with the pad.

Also, I found a little irritating problem on my stick. Whenever I move the stick right, it produces a "whining" type of a noise, like it should be oiled up or something to work properly lol. I can barely hear the sound when playing, so it's not a huge problem, but I'm worried that it'll cause extra wear on the stick in the long run. Do you guys think this is a problem or should I just live with it?

I'm still very slow when it comes to moving, I can barely side dash with the stick and that's something I really got to practice if I ever want to be on an equal level with the pad.
Yes. Movement on stick, especially Sanwa (may be different for Seimitsu/Korean, I haven't tried) takes a lot of "work" because of the large engage/throw distances. That is to say, that you have to move the stick a long time to register a direction. If you're like me, you want physical feedback, so you don't stop when you click the switch, you go all the way to the edge (throw) and that takes an even longer time.

Big deadzones mean that if your hands aren't fast, your movement isn't fast. I find that pad is a lot quicker for dashing and single inputs because my thumb doesn't have to do a lot of work, it's just... there. You know?

http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/restrictors.html

This'll probably give you a better idea of how things work (and why your movement happens to be slow).

Also, I found a little irritating problem on my stick. Whenever I move the stick right, it produces a "whining" type of a noise, like it should be oiled up or something to work properly lol. I can barely hear the sound when playing, so it's not a huge problem, but I'm worried that it'll cause extra wear on the stick in the long run. Do you guys think this is a problem or should I just live with it?
Sticks are pretty hardy. I used to clean mine regularly, and even play with cotton gloves on to avoid leaving fingerprints. But this isn't necessary.

Should your stick keel over dead (this shouldn't happen) it should be easy enough just to buy a replacement from various places on the internet.

---

http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/attributes_brands.html

Really, before I bought my first (only) stick (MadCatz TE first generation) I wish I could have tried it first, or tried other types. I dislike the JLF, it feels too loose to me. People say that you are supposed to have a gentler touch with it, but I'm just not that type of player. However, JLFs come standard with most sticks these days.

There's a lot of marketing and hype involved when it comes to sticks- in reality, stick is not "the best", it's not one-size-fits-all, either. Personal preference factors in strongly to your choice of input device and likewise affects your execution.

The best of the best do not move their stick all the way to the restrictor gate. In fact, riding the gate is discouraged by just about every tournament player in the scene, especially those who grew up playing on japanese sticks (aka us Asian players). The important word here is "tap" Most Japanese balltop grips (e.g. wineglass) are designed so that you only use minimal finger and wrist movements and no arm movement at all.

Back