Nightmare General Discussion/Q&A

hmm interesting, I'll test that out at some point with 4K BE

interesting enough, I found that if you delay/hit confirm 4k BE at the end of a wall combo, and your hitting the target from behind, it also guarantees a 2a+b AT.

Im not sure if this is 100% though but it works for me

btw, does anyone else think that delaying/hitconfirming 4k BE looks cool ? Its like the most swagtastic way to armor break someone (make sure you get CH though)

Edit: actually , im pretty sure 2a+b AT is guaranteed if you 4k BE from behind.

Also if youre armor breaking with delayed 4k BE make sure to get the JF B for maximum swag points

Last edited:
interesting enough, I found that if you delay 4k BE at the end of a wall combo, and your hitting the target from behind, it also guarantees a 2a+b AT.

Im not sure if this is 100% though but it for me

I'm not sure on that one, 4K BE can be teched leading to you whiffing 2A+B.
but regardless I'm about to fire up the accursed PS and find out now

back from testing.
ok so your delayed NSS b:A theory seems to be true, too fast and you get a weak w!. Delay it and you get that weird, extended w! that gives you just enough time to followup with a guaranteed 2A+B (AT).

however delaying 4K BE into 2A+B is as I thought, teching to their right evades it, (but thats why we have 3B as a techtrap). In other words 2A+B after 4K BE is a downtrap

It seems to me that using 3B is the best way to go, however sometimes opponents manage to ukemi out of it. Is there a reason for this?

It seems to me that using 3B is the best way to go, however sometimes opponents manage to ukemi out of it. Is there a reason for this?

I did come across this while testing, might have something to do with left-teching before GS K BE hits, completely dis-alligned the rest of the wallcombo which allowed the dummy to escape from 3B

Just use 2[K ] as your downtrap. The opponent can't roll it and it doesn't get affected by combo scaling.

forgot about 2(K) >.<

care to elaborate?

it maintains your distance and most of the time it is blocked which helps with guard gauge.

I find that trying to get close to opponents after 3b > nss bA and trying to get a mixup would make you eat their rising attacks.

1B is slow enough that you can still eat a WR(B)

I'm not sure but I tested this with sieg's wR B and he gets hit by 1B. I think if you delay NSS bA, it would make opponents have faster recovery time which would then make you vulnerable

Also, Guys, I noticed something weird. I knew something was wrong but I overlooked it and I thought it was normal.

at around 1:49 I JG sandman's 3b, right after he blocked my NM's FC 3B, which should have hit as it is punishable.

I tested this in training mode and sieg's 3b definately should have hit, but I JG'd it in the video above. Further analysis I noticed that this JG is one of those 'red' JG's that are like ukemi JG and shit.

If you pause at 1:49 you can literally see red in the JG which confirms that it is abnormal.

Does this mean that I discovered something game-breaking? Maybe, because I can't seem to pull this off offline.

3[B] is i18, FC 3B is -17. The red on the JG is interesting though. It's possible that a JG that occurs on the first frame of the window causes the red effect (like a JGI), and that by coincidence "red JGs" (as they occur in weird oki situations) can only be done on that frame.

Here's the frame where it happens, for anyone who's interested (exactly 18F after the FC 3B was blocked):
shot0001.jpg

Last edited:

You are right. This is is most likely a red JG. This could be helpful because Nightmares FC 3B is now safe from certain attacks such as Siegs 3B. Since this is a red JG, it follows the same rules as other red ukemi just guards. This means it can't be done in training mode, and can only be done in an actual match like vs mode or an online battle. Thats why you can't get it offline. Looks like you just found yourself some new NM tech. I shall hence forth call it " Locked guard".

Last edited:
You are right. This is is most likely a red JG. This could be helpful because Nightmares WR 3B is now safe from certain attacks such as Siegs 3B. Since this is a red JG, it follows the same rules as other red ukemi just guards. This means it can't be done in training mode, and can only be done in an actual match like vs mode or an online battle. Thats why you can't get it offline.

What are the rules for red ukemi JG?
Why is it unique to only vs mode/online battle? :O

What are the rules for red ukemi JG?
Why is it unique to only vs mode/online battle? :O

Some say some red JGs can only be done when you are at yellow life. I've also heard many players say that these types of JGs are impossible to do in training mode, yet they can get it during vs mode. Example of this is Ukemi Just Guarding Astaroths 22 B. In this case, I think Locked Guard can't be replicated during training mode but doesn't require you to be at the yellow region of life. Either way, it appears as though Locked Guard is safe from Siegs 3B.

Last edited:
Looks like you just found yourself some new NM tech. I shall hence forth call it " Locked guard".

It's about time I did some respectable work Kappa It is an honor to have you name this after me.

According to the frame data, it seems to me this could work on moves that are punishable with a frame advantage of 1(?) after block, which could apply to many other characters.

I just broke the game.

Last edited:
It's about time I did some respectable work Kappa It is an honor to have you name this after me.

According to the frame data, it seems to me this could work on moves that are punishable with a frame advantage of 1 after block, which could apply to many other characters.

I just broke the game.

Nah, Viola broke it long before you did. Yeah, but I don't think this is going to be that hard to do consistently because the timing of it doesn't require you to do something like ukemi and then just guard. Anything is possible to do consistently with enough practice. Even the Rocktopus special.

You are right. This is is most likely a red JG. This could be helpful because Nightmares FC 3B is now safe from certain attacks such as Siegs 3B. Since this is a red JG, it follows the same rules as other red ukemi just guards. This means it can't be done in training mode, and can only be done in an actual match like vs mode or an online battle. Thats why you can't get it offline. Looks like you just found yourself some new NM tech. I shall hence forth call it " Locked guard".

3[B] is i18, it wouldn't have punished FC 3B (-17) there anyway. There's nothing really special about the JG here except it being red for whatever reason.

Back