Oculus Rift - Future of VIRTUAL REALITY now!

skytoast

Videomaster
Guys, maybe I've had my head under a rock busy with projects from work but I just ran into this today.
With everchanging face of evolution of modern technology - touch screens, motion sensors, high end graphics and consoles and the uncertain future of gaming as we know it, something comes along that may truly change the paradigm once again.

This is the Oculus Rift

2zdzzty.jpg

This isn't your half baked attempt to bringing a VR headset past or present.
But don't take my word for it.

I'm not trying to endorse anything here, but when Carmack, Newell, and Blezinski had high praise, I'm really curious.

This project is being kickstarted bringing the public and social media. Their goal was 250K but looks like within a few hours they past that mark so it appears this is gonna happen!

Update: - )

Tech Specs of dev kit:
Head tracking: 6 degrees of freedom (DOF) ultra low latency
Field of view: 110 degrees diagonal / 90 degrees horizontal
Resolution: 1280x800 (640x800 per eye) stereoscopic 3D
Inputs: DVI/HDMI and USB
Platforms: PC and mobile
Weight: ~0.22 kilograms

Looks incredible, but until I see it on the shelf at Best Buy, it's vaporware, like so many other "revolutionary" VR peripherals.

The kit thats planned to be released later this year is initially aimed at developers - that's being kickstarted with public funding. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game?ref=live

There's different tiers for public funding but for contribution of $300 gets you the headset, SDK devkit tools and a copy of Doom 3 BFG. They're not aiming to make any profit here initially but want to get to this out there to developers to start working on support for it and eventually down the line make a consumer version of the headset. But so far, this looks to be a major game changer.

Games that will support this headset right off the bat will be Doom 3 BFG and Hawken come this December.

The consumer version will probably release sometime next year, possibly late 2013 early 2014 - right around the release of next gen consoles.

Here's panel from this years 2012 Quakecon with John Carmack (id Software), Michael Abrash (Valve) and Palmer Lucky (Oculus) talking about the Oculus Rift and VR.

User Hands on preview at Gamescon

Back