Official Soulcalibur V Post-EVO 2012 Rule Changes!

• Admin
EVO has just passed... Usually, we wait till after EVO before we start making sweeping changes to the community ruleset, as EVO usually marks the end of the tournament season. Well its that time again and here we go. These changes have been in discussion for several months and these are the final decisions I have come up with based on advice from various community leaders.

Set Construction:
  • 3 out of 5 matches in ALL SETS (even finals)
With the speed of Soulcalibur V and how quickly matches can end, it was determined that 2 of 3 in preliminary sets was a bit too quick. MLG has adopted a 3 of 5 in all sets system and the community has appreciated the lengthier battles. Because of this, the community has decided to adopt the MLG set construction. Naturally, we will not be adopting MLG's "extended-series" system.

Infinites:
  • All infinites, unless specifically identified are LEGAL until further notice. Most infinites are extremely situational, and thus should be treated as a "ring out". Ring outs are not "broken", if you put yourself in a situation where you could potentially get rung out, that's your fault and you've already done something wrong.

Most infinites are the same; if you put yourself in a situation where you could potentially get infinited, that's your fault and you've already done something wrong. The only real difference is the "ring out" from an infinite is not guaranteed, and the player can mess it up, giving you another chance.
  • Viola Back-Throw Infinite is BANNED!

As you can see in the above video, a single back throw can lead into an easy infinite with repeated back throws. For this rule to be enforced, we have decided that only ONE back-throw will be permitted in sequence.

In addition to this, we will not be permitting Viola back-throw resets! This becomes a "dicey" situation which would be impossible to enforce, so we are simply banning the reset. If a Viola player does a back-throw, waits for a reset, and then does a back-throw reset immediately after, it will be treated the same as the back-throw infinite.

So to sum it up:
    • back-throw > back-throw = BANNED
    • back-throw > reset > back-throw = BANNED
Should a player do a banned infinite, they will surrender the round to the opponent and continue the match. Should the infinite end the round, they will surrender the match to the opponent and continue the set. The reason for this is that it is extremely difficult to "return" to the previous situation with a penalty, so rather than delay the tournament, the offending player will simply receive a harsher penalty.

The Official Tournament Ruleset wiki page has been updated to reflect these changes:
http://8wayrun.com/wiki/tournament-ruleset/

Jason Axelrod

Jason Axelrod

Owner and Operator of 8WAYRUN
I haven't been on this site for long so I don't know what gives this gentlemen the right to decide the rules in the first place :P
Because it's his site. At least that's what his reasoning is; it certainly shouldn't give him the right.

Above all, thanks for managing this site Jaxel, but you stated yourself that you don't play SCV anymore. After making two controversial front page posts (devil jin and now this), it should be clear that you absolutely must be careful about what you post, if you post (which I highly discourage) about related things in the future.

Am I the only person wondering why this guy is still making decisions for our community?

Amen to this! Great website management but anything game related he has shown on numerous cases that he isn't qualified and should be far from making any game related decisions.

Also since I'm so good at reading things and I expected this erase original thread and act as if nothing happened with no real answers to specific questions (for the newbies its been done in the past multiple times) I saved my last post.

RE-POSTED:

In all seriousness I would really, really like to know the names of the people who discussed this like their above all. I find it shocking no one has really, really brought this up and demanded it. It seems shady and disrespectful especially with the contradictions and lack of knowledgeable information in regards to the infinites. Everything that has come to pass in here just seems sloppy.

So why the need for secrecy on who the people are who decided on this? I mean after all these people most be so knowledgeable that they can say fuq it and let's tack on banning the Hilde infinite just because according to Jaxel's post.

Additional info:

For anyone who is just gonna sit here and let a group of unknown people with the contradictions, lack of information and sloppy like execution make decisions on community related bans then I dunno what to say but shame on you.

Good shit Jaxel, im glad you thought about the backgrab combo backgrab situation. I have no complaints. I'm honestly surprised you listened, sorry for sounding like a jackass while i talked about it. I am so use to logic falling on deaf ears that I just kind of throw shit while I throw candy to make it more fun for myself.

So why the need for secrecy on who the people are who decided on this?
Because its NOT a "secret group"... I've stated many times that I don't like secret groups, they lead to boys clubs that have their own ulterior motives. Why don't I give any names? Because its no one in particular. I talk to people at tournaments, I spoke with people at EVO, I read the chat room (although I don't talk in the chat room often, I actually do read it a lot)...

The decisions are mine and mine alone. If you don't like it, blame me, not someone else. I take criticism, as well as advice from others. Ceirnian was bringing up issues all last night, and while he may have felt I was ignoring him, I clearly was not. I do make mistakes, and I am willing to change my decisions for the good of the community.

Bibulus, why am I in charge? Why am I making decisions? BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE WANTS TO. I've said many times that being a leader isn't necessarily about making the right decisions; its about knowing that a decision must be made, and making them. If you worry too much about making the wrong decisions, you end up not making any decision at all, which helps nobody (re: SC3).

And of course the "democratic council" method doesn't work either. We tried it with SC4 and both myself and ChaCha became irrelevant because we didn't agree with DancingFighterG and the rest of his cronies. It became a "boys club", and no one knew what was going on, and ChaCha and I had to wash our hands of it.

The only effective method of decision making is a dictatorship. People have been talking about banning the Viola infinite for a while now, and unless someone stepped in and said "yes, it is banned" or "no, it is not banned", arguments would have continued... and arguments help nobody as they are directed like buckshot at the entire community.

At least with me making the decisions, the arguments within the community stop... and instead they are directed at ME. Now the problems with the community are ME, not the community itself. It makes me the scapegoat, and I'm okay with this... "Soulcalibur has dumb rules; Jaxel is a fuck-head" is better than "Soulcalibur has dumb rules; the community is retarded".

Couple of issues:

1. Jaxel, you're incorrect in your assertion that nobody wants to make decisions. You're not nobly shouldering some burden for everybody's benefit here. I know, I know, it's hard to accept that after spending so much money on a movie-quality replica of Christian Bale's Batman outfit from The Dark Knight, but that's just reality. The reason you don't see anybody else "stepping up" is because, generally, nobody's rocking that level of hubris.

2. The major problems as I see them stem from the fact that these rules, however well-reasoned, are being put forth as binding. Everybody knows that these are unilateral determinations, and I suspect it chaps a lot of asses when people are told "Surprise! This is how things are gonna be!" In other words, I see this as a marketing failure.

Instead of official and binding, why not just say it's "recommended" from the outset and make a reasonable case for every specific change? That at least maintains the fictions of autonomy and collaboration, and it'd be bound to ruffle fewer feathers. In the end, all of these rules are solely under the purview of individual tournament facilitators. They can do whatever they want with 'em for their own events. It's silly to pretend that isn't the case and to in essence make demands of people with whom we should be working rather than to whom we should be dictating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca9974
Back