Official Soulcalibur V Post-EVO 2012 Rule Changes!

• Admin
EVO has just passed... Usually, we wait till after EVO before we start making sweeping changes to the community ruleset, as EVO usually marks the end of the tournament season. Well its that time again and here we go. These changes have been in discussion for several months and these are the final decisions I have come up with based on advice from various community leaders.

Set Construction:
  • 3 out of 5 matches in ALL SETS (even finals)
With the speed of Soulcalibur V and how quickly matches can end, it was determined that 2 of 3 in preliminary sets was a bit too quick. MLG has adopted a 3 of 5 in all sets system and the community has appreciated the lengthier battles. Because of this, the community has decided to adopt the MLG set construction. Naturally, we will not be adopting MLG's "extended-series" system.

Infinites:
  • All infinites, unless specifically identified are LEGAL until further notice. Most infinites are extremely situational, and thus should be treated as a "ring out". Ring outs are not "broken", if you put yourself in a situation where you could potentially get rung out, that's your fault and you've already done something wrong.

Most infinites are the same; if you put yourself in a situation where you could potentially get infinited, that's your fault and you've already done something wrong. The only real difference is the "ring out" from an infinite is not guaranteed, and the player can mess it up, giving you another chance.
  • Viola Back-Throw Infinite is BANNED!

As you can see in the above video, a single back throw can lead into an easy infinite with repeated back throws. For this rule to be enforced, we have decided that only ONE back-throw will be permitted in sequence.

In addition to this, we will not be permitting Viola back-throw resets! This becomes a "dicey" situation which would be impossible to enforce, so we are simply banning the reset. If a Viola player does a back-throw, waits for a reset, and then does a back-throw reset immediately after, it will be treated the same as the back-throw infinite.

So to sum it up:
    • back-throw > back-throw = BANNED
    • back-throw > reset > back-throw = BANNED
Should a player do a banned infinite, they will surrender the round to the opponent and continue the match. Should the infinite end the round, they will surrender the match to the opponent and continue the set. The reason for this is that it is extremely difficult to "return" to the previous situation with a penalty, so rather than delay the tournament, the offending player will simply receive a harsher penalty.

The Official Tournament Ruleset wiki page has been updated to reflect these changes:
http://8wayrun.com/wiki/tournament-ruleset/

Jason Axelrod

Jason Axelrod

Owner and Operator of 8WAYRUN
Anyone have anything important to say regarding any abuseable infinites anymore? I sincerely hope there isn't one of those "lay quiet and unleash at grand finals" type glitches. Hoping for some voluntary disclosure from the viola/hilde crew, but they seem like honest upfront citizens.

Seems like the last bunch of posts were more about WHO proposed the rules rather than WHAT the banned techniques should be.

So I just checked this thread here to see what's going on from when I last posted on this topic & realized that my post was deleted from this thread.

Why did my post get deleted? There was nothing derogatory about my post, I was just stating facts about VS Back Throw damage in certain instances, & I pretty much agreed that doing the true VS Back Throw Infinite Loop is lame & I wouldn't mind seeing that go.

The only other thing I did was just plead my case for being allowed to do a couple VS Back Throws during a juggle, which is NOT the VS Back Throw Infinite Loop at all. I just don't understand why my post or anyone else that had a post up here that is no longer on here got deleted.

I'm not gonna lie, that really chaps my ass. That really is disrespectful to delete those posts like that. It's pretty much a slap to the face saying that to those who got their posts deleted that their time, thoughts, efforts, & concerns have little to no value whatsoever.

I could truly understand if the posts got deleted because they were posts that were posted just to solely bash & defame the person that made the decision. However, from what I could tell, most of the posts that did get deleted were not like that at all. Pretty much all they were are just people's point of views on the topic at hand. Most of those posts were not intentional flaming towards the decision maker of the topic, so why would they have grounds to be erased off the boards?

Have we forgotten that this is ACTUALLY a forum. By definition, a forum is:

a : the marketplace or public place of an ancient Roman city forming the center of judicial and public business b : a public meeting place for open discussion c : a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas
: a judicial body or assembly : court
a : a public meeting or lecture involving audience discussion b : a program (as on radio or television) involving discussion of a problem usually by several authorities
8wayrun is a forum for all of us avid & or casual gamers of Soul Calibur alike to gather, meet up, & discuss topics about this great series. The reasons most of us go to these boards on here are to meet up with like-minded people, play some Soul Calibur with other players that like the series, & discuss topics of & or related to Soul Calibur.
By deleting people's posts on here for whatever reason or another for just merely discussing thoughts & concerns defeats the whole purpose to this forum. I've seen moderators on other fighting game forums delete posts or user accounts because they did not like or agree with what those posts or users had to say, but I certainly don't want to see something like that on here on 8wayrun which is a great forum.
A little respect goes a long way is all I'm saying.

My only serious criticism is trying to do this before patch. If there's a patch coming up in the near future that may nullify these changes it makes this whole discussion senseless.

Maybe Bandai Namco will give us a playable Devil Jin character model to use as a universal standard, perhaps they will remove the infinites; who knows what else may change.

I can understand that there may have been some sense of urgency because it' an infinite; however, if the community was forced to deal with it for an entire tournament season, I don't see how it could have been that big of a deal to begin with.

As I've attempted to say before:
SLE.jpg

I'm sure someone credible like Xeph could probably vouch for even a day 2 Astaroth having a 6:4 match-up against Viola and being capable of breaking back grabs. When I watched Partisans matchup, yes I was disgusted, but my thought as a Sieg player in that match-up would have been to pick Astaroth, if I knew my opponent was going to use a mechanic like that. Seemingly everyone had a pocket Viola as is, so why not have a pocket counter? 3 completely viable characters help to nullify this issue and counter picks are nothing new to this game. Yes, you might say it promotes broken gameplay, but if Bandai Namco gives a single flying F about their game this is something that will be remedied soon.

That's just my .02 even though Jaxel has already suffered from a bukkake storm of hating. Most importantly I would like to that Jaxel for being responsible and still listening to community thoughts.

TL;DR
This should have been a front page thread called "What Bandai Namco needs to do to keep the Soul Calibur community healthy: proposed changes" and we should have let Bandai Namco do the rest. We should give it a patch before making a declaration of changes.

~Mandy

2c worth of crap

Ok, first things first.
No competent player would use a character they do not understand how to play more than sheer basics against another character just because of a slight advantage you may get from counter picking it. You're shooting yourself in the foot, basic Sun Tzu. "If you know yourself but Don't know your enemy, you have a 50/50. If you Don't know your enemy and also don't know yourself. You're screwed."

If you have to learn a pocket counter because you know a character has an infinite because your character can't break back throws and said combo isn't banned because the excuse was "Well, you coulda learned a counterpick". Well stuff can be said about that. Hell, if I had a character specific combo that did 100% and was simple to do and easy to pull off, even if it was only usable against Ass-tier SCV Rock, I would ban that combo in a tournament.

This isn't about being able to learn a counter pick cause shit is broken vs you, its about broken shit should not be allowed in the game.
I could almost guarantee that if it was Illegal to relaunch more than once for Hilde's SC4 doom combo, she probably wouldn't have had to be banned as a character, because honestly that's the other option to the banning the combo, is banning the character. So don't give us your two cents without considering what you're trying to say.

I know for a fact this is going to piss people off but hey, opinions are like assholes. Every one has one. and they're all full of shit.

In the end, all of these rules are solely under the purview of individual tournament facilitators. They can do whatever they want with 'em for their own events. It's silly to pretend that isn't the case and to in essence make demands of people with whom we should be working rather than to whom we should be dictating.
Hates is correct in this point; a tournament facilitator and organizer can do the EVENTS in the way they like WHATEVER they like; if somebody want to make this rules official it worth nothing if the organizers doesn't adopt it and use these rules set in every tournament.

What I'm hoping is that Viola Back grab loop gets patched out. The fact that a tourney player actually had to do this to win a round and go "derp its not banned" is disgusting. And the fact that it wasn't banned immediatly after is even worse.

Problem is, I don't think they will.

The players who wrote the guide let NAMCO know about this loop well before release and since then there have been several patches, yet it stays.
I hope they patch it though, then I won't get moaned at for my 50:50 resets post backgrab.

Wait they knew about this? Why didn't they tell everyone? Banning the Viola infinite regardless of namco patching it could have been done since the launch of the game

Hates is correct in this point; a tournament facilitator and organizer can do the EVENTS in the way they like WHATEVER they like; if somebody want to make this rules official it worth nothing if the organizers doesn't adopt it and use these rules set in every tournament.

The ruleset on 8wayrun.com has always been a suggested guideline. Nothing has changed.

I think SU made a pretty good point in his podcast: SC is much bigger than just the US and France...and we shouldn't feel like we're the authority on the game. If Namco wants to patch it out, they will; we shouldn't be creating rifts between the communities. Either way, carry on. Just a new perspective.

I think SU made a pretty good point in his podcast: SC is much bigger than just the US and France...and we shouldn't feel like we're the authority on the game. If Namco wants to patch it out, they will; we shouldn't be creating rifts between the communities. Either way, carry on. Just a new perspective.

France has been using a different ruleset for months.

Live streams

5 Viewers
jrowzee
jrowzee
fight night ? (lots of yelling)
1 Viewers
Pukhlly
Pukhlly
Es dar o recibir Pijazos 🥵

Forum statistics

Threads
Members