Official Soulcalibur V Post-EVO 2012 Rule Changes!

• Admin
EVO has just passed... Usually, we wait till after EVO before we start making sweeping changes to the community ruleset, as EVO usually marks the end of the tournament season. Well its that time again and here we go. These changes have been in discussion for several months and these are the final decisions I have come up with based on advice from various community leaders.

Set Construction:
  • 3 out of 5 matches in ALL SETS (even finals)
With the speed of Soulcalibur V and how quickly matches can end, it was determined that 2 of 3 in preliminary sets was a bit too quick. MLG has adopted a 3 of 5 in all sets system and the community has appreciated the lengthier battles. Because of this, the community has decided to adopt the MLG set construction. Naturally, we will not be adopting MLG's "extended-series" system.

Infinites:
  • All infinites, unless specifically identified are LEGAL until further notice. Most infinites are extremely situational, and thus should be treated as a "ring out". Ring outs are not "broken", if you put yourself in a situation where you could potentially get rung out, that's your fault and you've already done something wrong.

Most infinites are the same; if you put yourself in a situation where you could potentially get infinited, that's your fault and you've already done something wrong. The only real difference is the "ring out" from an infinite is not guaranteed, and the player can mess it up, giving you another chance.
  • Viola Back-Throw Infinite is BANNED!

As you can see in the above video, a single back throw can lead into an easy infinite with repeated back throws. For this rule to be enforced, we have decided that only ONE back-throw will be permitted in sequence.

In addition to this, we will not be permitting Viola back-throw resets! This becomes a "dicey" situation which would be impossible to enforce, so we are simply banning the reset. If a Viola player does a back-throw, waits for a reset, and then does a back-throw reset immediately after, it will be treated the same as the back-throw infinite.

So to sum it up:
    • back-throw > back-throw = BANNED
    • back-throw > reset > back-throw = BANNED
Should a player do a banned infinite, they will surrender the round to the opponent and continue the match. Should the infinite end the round, they will surrender the match to the opponent and continue the set. The reason for this is that it is extremely difficult to "return" to the previous situation with a penalty, so rather than delay the tournament, the offending player will simply receive a harsher penalty.

The Official Tournament Ruleset wiki page has been updated to reflect these changes:
http://8wayrun.com/wiki/tournament-ruleset/

Jason Axelrod

Jason Axelrod

Owner and Operator of 8WAYRUN
COD reference
And if everyone knew of said rock, they'd just avoid it and play as if that zone was tier 9 danger zone.
The guy would end up losing not winning cause he decided to camp in this one perfect spot, but then lose because he ignored all other objectives.
CoD is the absolute worst example you could have used.

And if everyone knew of said rock, they'd just avoid it and play as if that zone was tier 9 danger zone.
The guy would end up losing not winning cause he decided to camp in this one perfect spot, but then lose because he ignored all other objectives.
CoD is the absolute worst example you could have used.

And what exactly have you accomplished by pointing out the example?

Not one thing, well played to you. Why don't you try think of its meaning next time.

And what exactly have you accomplished by pointing out the example?

Not one thing, well played to you. Why don't you try think of its meaning next time.

He accomplished that people learn to avoid the rock.

Just like Viola infinite, you can learn to not put yourself in the situation. Even Something-Unique, who made top 8 at EVO, says the infinite is good but doesn't need to be banned yet because it's situational. Learn how to not get yourself in the situation. Just like learning where the rock is in COD and not going there.

Just like Viola infinite, you can learn to not put yourself in the situation. Even Something-Unique, who made top 8 at EVO, says the infinite is good but doesn't need to be banned yet because it's situational. Learn how to not get yourself in the situation. Just like learning where the rock is in COD and not going there.

She can get off a CE. You can't possibly tell me that is ok. That is like saying "Oh, well you got hit once so you deserve to die". It makes no sense, and Viola has plenty of other tools to remain viable. She doesnt even need the infinite.

Lol

People who are against the backgrab infinite ban get logical arguments and explanations.

I was an advocate of the infinite ban, but not the reset, and I get "Fuck you and Fuck Viola!"

She can get off a CE. You can't possibly tell me that is ok. That is like saying "Oh, well you got hit once so you deserve to die". It makes no sense, and Viola has plenty of other tools to remain viable. She doesnt even need the infinite.

That's IF the CE hits you raw. If you block it, she only gets her mixups.

J
Can't believe someone is justifying the infinite, no words.
well I like to see some people's reaction when there getting hit with the backgrab infinite erm....( to those who oppose the infinite) if it happened to me I'll throw my controller at the screen.

well I like to see some people's reaction when there getting hit with the backgrab infinite erm....( to those who oppose the infinite) if it happened to me I'll throw my controller at the screen.
I yelled "NOOOOO!!!!!" when it almost happened to me, my opponent decided to be nice and just do the reset.

That's IF the CE hits you raw. If you block it, she only gets her mixups.

Still dude, say she whiff punishes or catches you in the middle of a move. Saying "that should not have happened to you" is stupid. No one should be able to take a round with a CE.

lol @ this thread....WHY are you all still debating about it? It's over. It's done. put your e-penis away and move on with your pathetic lives.

Fact of the matter is that i can troll half of you for making such childish remarks, comments, etc. But i choose not to because it defeats the purpose of the thread.

Here's the bottom line: It wasn't meant to be. That's just like saying SFxT infinites are allowed and it makes the game balanced. considering that not all characters can do infinites alone means it's not balanced and wasn't meant to be. Another great example is Asta's Air throw into wall into 6B stun. IF it didn't reset the stun, he'd have an infinite. would you think that would be fair. Of course not, so why try to justify why her infinite being allowed because it's situational.

ONE MORE GREAT EXAMPLE.....Remember Lizardman's Throw glitch....from Part 2?

Nuff said.... :) Happy posting!!!!

anyone who advocates the backgrab infinte is retarded or trolling, yes its situational, but does that mean that you deserve in random situations to lose the round? you can avoid the rings edge to some degree, you cant avoid getting stepped into 44A CE which for some unknown reason backturns even tho they are hitting u slightly off axis from your front, thats like saying "just don't get hit, and you wont lose" ya that argument is retarded, please stop trolling us, keep in mind there are many moves in the game that when u get interrupted during the animation, you get back turned, "JUST DONT DO THOSE MOVES" I am sorry, but a generally quick move that happens to have you spin around should not result in a full life combo when CH, if you believe that is valid risk/reward then you are an idiot, and thank god you don't develop fighting games, keep in mind that all the people who have been caught by the back throw infinite are better than you, linkrkc, SU, partisan, so don't act all high and mighty like it doesn't happen if you just "play smart" im sorry you're not even that smart to begin wtih

I was an advocate of the infinite ban, but not the reset, and I get "Fuck you and Fuck Viola!"
The reason why the reset is banned as well is because it would be IMPOSSIBLE to enforce. Throws do not stack on the combo counter, so its impossible to tell if someone did the free throw, or did a reset throw. If we banned the free throw, but not the reset throw, people could do the free throw and then say "it wasn't free, it was a reset, you just weren't ducking it". Its impossible to enforce as they look exactly the same, the only real difference being that the reset throw happens a few frames later (which is why you can duck it).

Viola's back throw being done so many times is repetitive and cheap for the players to get an easy victory over their opponent. I'd say just one back throw and call it a day but overall I agree with the whole rule about Viola's back throw being repeatedly used.

I'm not an advocate for the ban. I just don't like people using flawed examples.
"I have this super sweet Apple. Here, try this Orange since its also sweet"

LOL just stop talking bruh.

Throws do not stack on the combo counter, so its impossible to tell if someone did the free throw, or did a reset throw.

Are you kidding??? Of course they do! I'm looking at it right now, and yes, they add on to the combo counter. Please check your facts.

It would be enforced simply by telling whether or not the combo counter showed up before another grab connected. In the case that a combo starts in a grab, there would be no reason to reset (no damage scaling), so if another grab was attempted they would just be disqualified (because no combo counter showed up).

But I appreciate the logical argument, I just wish your facts were correct. Anyways, I'm not going to get into it again. I agree with Hawkeye, 3/5 and infinite ban makes sense, the rest is silly.

Live streams

5 Viewers
ChiefVibe
ChiefVibe
Feel Like Ripping My Teeth Out My Mouth , But Im Okay 🙃
1 Viewers
karat_mc
karat_mc
SoulCalibur 6 Весы духа

Forum statistics

Threads
Members