Poll: 17 years in the future or current timeline?

Would you prefer the series to go forward 17 years? Or continue with current timeline?

• 17 years forward. Most characters replaced or removed.

Votes: 59 63.4%
  • Current timeline. Most or all characters returning.

Votes: 34 36.6%

• Total voters
something tells me I'm on his funny channel again or something... I think this is the second time I've fallen for the same thing

As I said earlier, I am concerned about this time jump. I was all for a time jump, even suggested it in numerous tweets, but that was on the order of 3-5 years. I am of mixed feelings of the 17 year gap.

Looking at Tekken 3, we see that they used cryo sleep to keep Nina and Anna around and youthful. Using the story we can have Taki use either FuMa ninja arts to stay young (she already used it to heal rapidly), or harnessing the power of Mekkimaru she gains a level of immortality. In either case, this is a logical path for what is already the most badass kunoichi ninja of all time. Or I would even accept them just having her at 46. While that isn't as cool, it would probably have her change from the fastest character to a precision strike / high risk high reward character (which could be rough gameplay wise). What I will not be happy with is having her daughter or someone else taking her place. Taki is the reason I started playing this game some sixteen years ago, and excluding her is the reason I'll stop. It's Taki or nothing, accept no substitutes.

Ivy, I'm hoping she is some sort of enchanted/demonic/undead boss in this game. Again, a logical progression of her now soul-less character. Amy, as a vampire I expect her to be the same. Tira, perhaps serving SoulEdge has its benefits.

As for the rest of the ladies, it's a mixed bag. Talim probably, she would only be 32, so why not. Setsuka, I think she may be done. Her story is pretty complete, she doesn't even have a real reason to return. Though she will be missed. Mina, same deal, her daddy issues should have been resolved, mommyhood is her future. Xianghua, maybe she finally turned Kilik straight and too decided to raise a family (but you can bet Kilik will be back...). Xianghua has a chance to come back, but not a very good one. We know Sophitia will be in there, but probably not a core playable character. Cassandra, probably the hardest to figure.

I think what worries me most is that they are going to turn these girls into create a soul parts. Just throw em all in there and say "miss em, then just make em!". This is also unacceptable. These characters, including their costumes, give them their identity. Bamco keeps wondering why the Soul series is not as popular as Tekken or Street Fighter. No Bamco, its not that it's a weapon fighter, its that you treat the main cast like shit. Passing their own merits in favor of guests and other lame shit. This attitude towards the core cast makes the average fan think they are merely throw away designs (which they may actually now be doing). If they respected their characters, the gamers would follow suit. For example, in Tekken you don't see Xiaoyu having the option of trading clothes with Nina? Why? Because doing that degrades the uniqueness of both characters! Capcom wont even let us customize Street Fighters because it will take away from their uniqueness. Case in point, if I see a custom soul in SCV running around with Setsuka's kimono, or in Taki's bodysuit I am gonna RAGE like never before. Bamco had the right idea with custom souls in SCIV, then screwed the pooch in SCBD. Keep core character looks unique to the core characters, but now I am getting way off topic.

As for the guys, I think only Voldo is in any real age danger. Yun, Maxi, since they are already clones of past characters, could see that happening again. Rock, time to retire. But I am sure we will have a 46 yr old Mitsurugi. Remember, it's ok to have old guys in fighters, but women over 40 have apparently been taken over a hillside, and shot. Perhaps until now...

So 17 years, good or bad? It all depends on what they do with it, could be awesome, but it could just as easily be a disaster.

-DeathCom

I think having a 17year gap is awesome. It gives a gateway option towards SCV being something I wanted it to be- slightly revamped. It really is all up to the creators; because, though I support the 17year gap-twist, it could go horribly wrong and discourage old and new players. Also, like Ace said... most of my favorites were immortal ;)

I feel this needed to happen to introduce -really- new characters (note: not necessarily remove all the old ones).

But you're right, it is radical to the point that it completely depends on execution.

exclusive new maxy image...

9img.jpg

As it has been said before, It could be either good or bad.

I´m kinda worried about the final result, but I don´t think we will see characters with too much old look. I mean, that hardly sells, right? So I think mostly two ways: make characters to look more grown but they still look pretty cool, or erase them from the game. I seriously hope the first one, who want to see our loved SC characters gone?

Another way could be add them in versus mode or something that has nothing to do with the history, that wouldn´t be so bad, as long as it is not in the creation mode.

As for me, I´ve thinking, and I hope Cassandra had a daughter over all this time and in this game we can use both of her, would be awesome! =D

I'll tell you, it's good. Unlike in other fighters where people don't actually age. SC is taking a reality check when evil is gone or said to be gone, people settle down start a family, live the boring life getting old together, or they get killed off being reckless some where.

As far as the main story is concerned, I don't really care what happens to whoever...because iconically on the versus screen those characters will be there.

I prefer that SC5 has a real concrete story that follows one direct path with many supporting roles, instead of what other fighters do by being random.

The reason why fighting games can never have legitimate stories is peoples silly attachments to their characters. Some people still want Link to show up in SC again...really.

This 17 year push is like a fresh start for the franchise. Once again Soul Edge's evil has returned....A NEW CHALLENGER COMES!

For every casual fan we lose to their character getting old or "aging", we gain a new one who likes one of the new characters or the new story. All things considered, the casual fans of the game who are story driven are mutable. The people who are in it for the gameplay are the demographic you can't afford to lose, because they may never come back.

That said, this is the best possible thing that could happen to the series.

-Idle

Well Tekken went a similar way back then in Tekken 3 with a Jump of 15 years, they brought back 5 characters from past Tekken games and the rest was all brand new, but then in T4 and T5 they brought some more from the past, the problem is in T6 they stopped doing it so and some of the fans choices were kept forgotten in the past (e.g.: Jun, Kunimitsu, etc..).

If they are able to avoid this with SC5 then I will receive the 17 years jump in open arms since watching a forward development in the story and watching our fav. characters a little bit older is not that bad, NOW if they leave some of the characters forgotten in the past instead of bringing them back now and then than I will really be mad about it. It was bad already to play the games with no Hwang, Li Long or Arthur there. To not mention others...

I think the roster should be like 90% old character and 10% new characters like 27 old characters and 8 new characters (something Tekken 3 did not)

I didn't like what they did with Tekken post T3. Kicking out older characters, just to bring nearly all of them back in the sequels...meh, I just didn't like it. Don't get me wrong, bringing back guys like Lee and Ganryu later on, I loved the nostalgia feeling. But deciding to revamp the roster, then bringing everyone back led to the story becoming a mess, and I assume balancing everyone must be an absolute nightmare (although T6 is somehow fairly balanced, for the most part)

I like this 17 year timeskip. I'll be sad in seeing some of my favourites go, but I'll be happy with the bunch of new characters I'm (presumably) going to get. I don't mind adjusting, especially if it adds a breath of fresh air to the series.

I know there's already a thread about this, but I want a poll about this to get a rough idea what the entire community thinks.

I know it's too late for the dev team to change this, but I'm still curious what the community as a whole thinks. If the poll gets a lot of votes (no matter which option has the most votes) I'll send it over to Daishi on twitter so he's aware what the fans think.

Personally, I think they should have stuck with the current timeline. For a game which honestly always has had an awful storyline, it seems a bit backwards to change the entire character roster just for the sake of a storyline which is likely to be bad. A big part of my attraction to Soul Calibur series are the characters, and it's gonna be a big let down for me to see all my favourites gone.

And let's to be realistic, with all but 3 female characters being over 35 (Talim 32, Tira 34 and Amy 31), it's pretty obvious almost all female characters won't return. With that in mind, I expect the majority of male characters to also be replaced/removed, even though older male characters aren't uncommon in fighting games.

Well, to me the choice is pretty simple. My favourite character is Cassandra. In SC5 she'd become 38. How many fighting games has female characters above 35? The answer: none. And I doubt Namco will change that trend. With that in mind, I think it's a bad choice.

If they're gonna do drastic changes to the series, I think that should come from a gameplay standpoint. Changing the character roster this drastically just means many favourites will be gone. And it seems ridiculous to do it for a storyline which has always been bad.

I think this is very exciting A) This means New Cool Characters (While the old ones will for sure be there, but maybe not in story mode) B) New stages with maybe a different look to them (maybe)!The main things that I want Is Tons Of Character Creation (Like double the content) And Maybe just maybe, interactive environments, and or, muli-tier stages.

something tells me I'm on his funny channel again or something... I think this is the second time I've fallen for the same thing

DAMN RIGHT YOU ARE!! congrats namu and signia, remember, channel 5 tonight in "The Funnist Pranks of 8wayrun"
Oh and don't forget to smile >=))))))))))

it would be cool to like see some of the char kids like kilik and xianghua son or like five year later talim is like 21 or see rock kid and let her hair down like small step through time to look the char change and pass down skill to other student like edgemaster did to kilik or kid

Even though I play a lot of characters that would likely be replaced by the time jump (Soph, Setsuka), the easiest way to still include them in the game is to give their new replacements an additional alternative "costume." So if Patrocles is the heir apparent for Soph, or Pyrrha for Cass, Patrocles should have a 3rd alternate costume that's essentially Sophitia 17 years younger. This would only be made available in versus mode as fan service, and not included in story mode.

Only problem then would be the fact that Sophitia might be replaced by a male character, and obviously certain moves will be different (maybe even reach if Namco gets sexist/realistic). I certainly don't want to see Sophie's vagina vice throw given to Patrocles.

to me they should replace soph with her son. and its his job to protect her the pass of skillz and what not and years late he will have a child and i repeat easy

Talim's fighting style, will be very different considering her age. She won't be nearly as sprightly and it would be interesting to see her as a mature, wise priestess of the wind.

so true

In my opinion 17 years are too much, in the case of male characters I think is good, but for female ones things are going to be difficult.

Hope they don´t clone a lot of characters...

yea i think like 8 to 10 we be ok

and yet again this is relevant;

seth.jpg

hahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahha wait wait wait need to breath ok im ready hahaahahahhahahaha

Back