Raphael Video Discussion

WuHT said:
I think its more beneficial if we have a bug/whiff/hitbox compilation video first.
In that case, could the hitbox thread be updated? Plus some issues (1 issue) were solved!

Magnificent !

So if I understand well, you buffer 33A+B after some move ? I guess it can't be done from neutral ?

You're basically doing a specifically timed 3A+BA+B. It's hard to explain - try to replicate it using the timing I had in the video. You have to buffer it into the recovery animation of a move, however - you can't just "do it" from neutral.

Fairly late, and move dependent, since you're buffering the iPrep A+B into the recovery animation of the move. Generally you want to be at the end of the recovery animation. You have to work out the specific timing in training mode. Also, the input is basically:

:3::A: ~ During recovery :3::A+B: ~ At that specific timing I haven't worked out perfectly yet :A+B:

Hey guys I made couple of videos using the Raphael`s Prep A+B glitch during an actual match. Not a very high level of gameplay from my part, mostly messing around with it. Props to Heaton for finding this.

1st match 2:00 - After a 11 K
2nd match 2:45 - After 236 B

3rd match 7:00 - After B+G Throw
4th match 7:51 - After WCR 3 B
5th match 10:47 - After 236 B

During the Algol matches I was trying to get Prep A+B following the GI of a ball, but couldnt do it(was able to JG couple of balls, but thats easier compared to GI and prep A+B). I have done this in training though after a GI and in the recovery frames of a block stun.

Yeah, I've been testing 1K, 22K, and cantarellas, using the method of randomly throwing then out in place of a 3A, 4K etc (in the 4th match I switch 1K out for 2_8_6B+K, which was even more of a waste). That being said, how do you see 1K being used? It can't be thrown out due to the -16, and 3A tends to do a better job, for less risk.

I dunno. I loved 4K in SCII and this hurts even more. I'm not the only user with this optimistic view of 1K; can't find the post I'm thinking of but piggy likes it. He says stepkill with TC gravy, I still see TC with stepkill jam.
If you were looking for setups I got none, I'm all reads. I'm basically the best bad player you can play - I know everything about suck.

edit: I do use 3A , like you probably. You can't not with its safety and it's "auto-transition-to-3B-even-if-he-consistently-GIs-to-mixup". But these hands know when 1K will get the job done.

How does everyone hitconfirm the BE? Is there a audio cue I can use? I miss the red flash often, and just assume a hit was a CH.
I don't often manage the 6BB CH in the first place. The H interrupt situation for me only exists, where the attack was so plain in coming, I'm not reacting. With Prep BB I don't know why I'd do a BE. Game win, I suppose?

I used to look up to Gohan back in 4, but his 5 Raph is in serious need of tuning up.

It seems like a pretty safe poke and range game. Regardless of success rate, looking at least somewhat flashy is the core to any fighting game.

(vs Natsu, the Viola one was pretty decent if still a little flat : / )

thnx for uploading them fendante, yea it was me asking about viola tips and that vid definitly helped. i think i got my new anti viola strat

My take is that Viola player was a turtle, plain and simple. Gohan threw out a lot of linear stuff in that match because he knew Viola was more likely to sit there and guard than move around.

Hey guys, I finally have some footage of me playing. These are from my first tournament ever I played in this weekend.

http://www.twitch.tv/couchtech/b/318752028

Here's my first match against Pyrrha at 8:25 or so.

http://www.twitch.tv/couchtech/b/318763158

The match around 36:30 was against Voldo. My opponent was ESOM, who went to the World Championship in France... I was outplayed here, and I don't know the match up well either.

The other match in this one is at 1:01:40 against Nightmare. I had a really bad second match, but it was an intense game either way.

Please let me know what I did wrong so that I can improve, and what I did well so that I don't screw that up later.

You lost to Nightmare because you can't break throws. :\

... okay okay, I guess your timing is off with wakeup, but that is a common tourney nerves thing. When you stand, you have to defend something. If you think you can hit something -> stop pushing buttons, you're wrong, block something.
You were punishing unsafe things, which he kept doing. It's hard to spot something to tell you to improve when that formula obviously was working, if your defense didn't have that hole.

Voldo: ****ing Voldo. 44K is an amazing interrupt.

Video quality on Pyrrha fight = kill me now quality. Saw game 2. I think Shadow Evade was central - she won when and only when she challenged it. If Shadow Evade is really your goal, you don't have to do Prep BB in the middle of 3(B) hit and broadcast it every time.
You won't win this match by going "ahahaha! I dealt 16 damage to you with that punish 30 seconds ago!" I don't tempt her ability to interrupt Prep when Prep 4 is offtempo and she is 6Bing Prep K every time. (if Prep K is free then shit yeah). I play to make her go "**** why do I gotta spin like a Sufi dancer to get a decent horizontal" and vortex her after knd combos.

Back throw vs 1K = :)

You lost to Nightmare because you can't break throws. :\

... okay okay, I guess your timing is off with wakeup, but that is a common tourney nerves thing. When you stand, you have to defend something. If you think you can hit something -> stop pushing buttons, you're wrong, block something.
You were punishing unsafe things, which he kept doing. It's hard to spot something to tell you to improve when that formula obviously was working, if your defense didn't have that hole.

Voldo: ****ing Voldo. 44K is an amazing interrupt.

Video quality on Pyrrha fight = kill me now quality. Saw game 2. I think Shadow Evade was central - she won when and only when she challenged it. If Shadow Evade is really your goal, you don't have to do Prep BB in the middle of 3(B) hit and broadcast it every time.
You won't win this match by going "ahahaha! I dealt 16 damage to you with that punish 30 seconds ago!" I don't tempt her ability to interrupt Prep when Prep 4 is offtempo and she is 6Bing Prep K every time. (if Prep K is free then shit yeah). I play to make her go "**** why do I gotta spin like a Sufi dancer to get a decent horizontal" and vortex her after knd combos.

Back throw vs 1K = :)

Thanks for the input!

I've always been bad at breaking throws. I keep telling myself to mash a button when I guard, but I keep forgetting. I'll put more focus on it in the future.

What do you mean by my timing being off during wake up?

I should have thrown out more 44K against Voldo, as it did work the one time I did it. TJ's are probably pretty strong against him, I figure.

Yeah, my friend had told me that match's video quality was bad, but I had no idea it was that terrible. Sorry about that.

The Pyrrha and I had played several casuals before the tournament, and she would keep locking up when I hit 3(B) or 6B(B) and went to SE, so I went for that in the match. His brother (who commentated that match, actually) had been watching the casuals and told him not to freeze, and I guess he finally picked up on it during the tournament.

If I'm understanding this correctly, you want me to back off in Prep and wait for a chance to punish against Pyrrha? I thought I was always supposed to go for the full damage in the 3(B) combo, but I shouldn't if I'm just trying to get SE?

After watching the footage, I realize I may have tried for Prep too much... as I tend to do.

Stop using 66K. Missclick I hope? If I don't know what to throw out, I just back off and wait, there is a reason we don't use 66K often.
I also have a hard time vs grabs, but 2A is a great tool (even 6K/44K could be used I guess), since it beats slower moves if the opponent is trying for the mixup, and it also leads to FC3B and wrB, which is hardly a bad position. Vs NM you could remember to mash B when he is cornered or just back off (granted this is more of a playstyle issue, and it seemed you like to close the distance and get in for SE/throws instead of pulling out after a hit/kd, if it works, why change). On that note, if 11K/33B works keep doing it, 33B/11K into 33B/11K works more than I thought it would; if they don't counter it, abuse it.
You missed a lot of whiff punishes where 236B would shine. If you have time to wait and 3B, 236B usualy works. Again you seem to play with a more offensive style that might not draw out the same openings, but it may be worth considering when prep is struggling.
After 4B and SEB don't use Prep~Bb(BE) http://8wayrun.com/threads/metre-data.12386/. CE and 33k(BE) will both give better damage for the meter, and close the game faster (the last 20% becomes hard to take with pokes due to damage reduction). Prep~Bb(BE) does have the advantage of pushing the opponent to the edge, but it seems like the ring edge didn't do you any favors for the most part.
33k(BE), AB, 66A, 3A, 22B, 22A and CE could be worth implementing more.

I've always been bad at breaking throws. I keep telling myself to mash a button when I guard, but I keep forgetting. I'll put more focus on it in the future.
Could get it soon, could be a while, but everyone gets there.

What do you mean by my timing being off during wake up?.
When you stand, you appear to lose your sense of how many frames your opponent has been free.

About Prep I'm telling you what I saw, and what I experience in the mu. For yourself, the only thing you can take from me is to watch what is happening. Once you're watching what is happening , and not letting your plan slacken as you do so, you're doing well.

Back