Raphael General Discussion / Q&A

Are there lows that force the opponent to be crouched on hit? I was dreaming about if that one change would have made 1A useable.

Raph SoulCast is finally here.

Just reflecting on one thing heaton said:
3A is not 100% unsteppable. Testing on mitsupost1B/2A and raph's 2A on block then set the AI to step to their left will cause Raph's own retalitory 3A to whiff. Now its not a range issue, but I suspect that the magic +4 to +8 window for human Raph to be a problem . Stepping mechanism analysis:

The reason is probably as follows (lots of rambling, be warned)
Lets do training mode Raph to AI mitsu, programmed to do 1B (which Raph will block and then 3A) and then automatically set to QS to raph's right.
Compare that to Mitsurugi's programmed to do 6A on block instead of 1B.

You'll notice that despite Mitsu being at less of disadvantage (-2) he'll fail to clear 3A while at -4 he'll step it easily. There are tonnes of mitsu's moves, and range isn't really factor because you can test if 3A will hit if you don't program AI mitsu to do the 2nd command of QS and instead hold guard or w/e.

At higher frame disadvantages, like -10 after mitus gets his 9K blocked, 3A will magically CH his QS once again.

I think it has to be with the fact that 3A hits steppers in 2 ways. When the opponent has just begun to QS (ie they are attempting to QS at larger disadvantage) 3A doesnt' re-align and simply clobbers the opponent because of its' wide hitbox.
When the opponent chooses to QS at barely negative frames 3A will hit because Raph physically realigns himself. There must be a triggered "check" when Raph executes 3A and the opponent is at a particular frame during QS (it lasts 20 frames) that realigns him. However, there is probably be a difference in QS "stages", ie :beginning QS, a mid QS and ending QS marker regarding the animation, or else Raph will always realign himself at some point to catch the enemy (which we have disproven).
Raph will only do a realignment if, say, the beginning of his 3A animation occurs at the same time as the beginning of the opponent's QS, otherwise there is no alignment (ie the opponent is at the middle or end of their QS when raph presses 3A) but you may still manage to hit them at +10 simply because 3A's is fast enough and its hitbox is fat enough so the opponent never moves out of the way in time. You will whiff at +5 because Raph's because on the first few frame Raph executes 3A, the opponent hasn't begun to QS but they will QS in time to dodge 3A's hurtbox 13 frames later.

Obviously the whole point of this is to bring attention to the enemy's sweet spot (roughly at -4 and -8) where moves like 3A won't track as well as you expect. Luckily, I have not run into a scenario where 2K/6A will not track opponents who step to raph's left, within range, and there is AA to cover range outside of that. There are varying differences in trying to stop the opponent from stepping to Raph's right. For moves that have hurtboxes designed to stop right step rather than left step, there is varying from decent-ranged but unreliable like 1B/1A/66A to short-ranged but reliable like 4K and 8A+B. 4A seems to be pretty awesome as your universal step killer with range.
* No comment on 2_8B+K

Last edited:
I accidentally did a second SE in SE and I just realized you can delay SE by holding 2. Is this a thing?
I don't know about double SEs, but I know holding 2 does extend the duration of the stance a little. As for me, I only do it after I hit my opponent with 6B(B) after launching them with either 3KB BE or 66A+B, BT B since it increases the chances of SE B tracking the opponent when they tries to get up and sidestep from a distance. If the opponent has a tendency to freeze up when you enter SE, then alternating between K and a slightly delayed B makes it more of a 50/50 than a high/low guard option select based on timing (think of Cervantes' DC options where the mid comes out faster than the high or low).

... since it increases the chances of SE B tracking the opponent when they tries to get up and sidestep from a distance. .....

I dont think post-patch Raph will really re-align if the opponent is able to take a deep step because there is a maximum angle (which is really small, ie 15 degrees each side)Raph will fire his SE B from his original position

Don't know where to ask this so I will post here.
Did you guys find 88_22A useful? I mean, there's something guaranteed after that hit?

It's just a high step killer that's -2 on hit and -12 on block with good range to zone with from time to time. My big thing with the move besides a step killer that is high sadly but it gives you +10 on CH. I use to step kill if I am 8wrunning alongside my opponent in a straight to straight line.

It's an okay zoning tool for the range between 22_88K and 66A, in terms of his more reliable horizontals. iirc, 6BB can sometimes land after a CH under certain weird spacing conditions which I cannot recall, but it very rarely occurs in my experience.

22A is a very non-commital high, in that Raph maintains his spacing after hit/block and its basically 100% reliable. You can opt for 1A after or 3B to push them away. I like using it at a range where 2K cannot connect after.

It's an okay zoning tool for the range between 22_88K and 66A, in terms of his more reliable horizontals. iirc, 6BB can sometimes land after a CH under certain weird spacing conditions which I cannot recall, but it very rarely occurs in my experience.

It would be really nice if 6BBB can land, meaning 22A gives +12 on CH because then Raph would get 50ish damage rather than barely 20.

Last edited:
33A is bad in the sense that it's only 16 dmg and -16 on block but it is a mid horizontal. A well placed 33A on block will have enough spacing making it hard for short range characters to punish you.

I am pretty sire everyone knows this but:

I LIKE TO SPAM 2K TO BAIT 4Bs AND 6Ks, I ALSO LIKE TO SPAM WS B BECAUSE OF THE ANIMATIONS PRODUCE A PURE MIX UP UNLESS MY OPPONENT CAN HEAR WS B´s AUDIO CUE.

#TeamRaphael

I have question: do any of you find the retreat on prep A+B useful? Personally, i do not since to avoid pyrrha stab you would need to apply it after they block a prep transition on tip range (but there is prep4)

Anyway i guess prep A+B can be used to avoid long range stuff.
But w.e, preps flexibily in handling just about any situation seems to be limiting a successful guess for the raph player to
me.

Or maybe ir prep A+B can realign on its retreat just to helo with anti step and to be a bit more safe..... idk THINK ABOUT IT FOR ME

Most of the stuff that PrepA+B avoids can be avoided just as easily with prep4 or SE, which leads to much higher damage. Obviously prepA+B comes out a little bit faster.

I have a little question, maybe you guys can help with that. I heard somewhere that 66A+G can drain the life of the opponent but, how can you do that?

I have a little question, maybe you guys can help with that. I heard somewhere that 66A+G can drain the life of the opponent but, how can you do that?
After you land the grab, mash as fast as you can. Every 4th input will restore 2 points of health against male characters and 3 points of health against female characters

Specifically, mash the face buttons on your gamepad. Each individual input (a button mapped to A+B still counts as 1 input) gives you hp.

Back