Raphael media =/

Yes, make Raphael invincible! Faster attacks than anyone else+a ludicrous amount of damage ftw!

Haha, joking of course. All I've done is suggest they return Raph's auto-evades, and they seem to have, so I'm stoked. I used to also want the return of his old prep, but now I've gotten so used to the one in IV that I don't want them to change it too much. I would like to be able to spin/sidestep during prep, though.

I'll leave all other suggestions to more experienced players. XD
I will not say that i am an expert player with Raphael but i have played him ever since 03 when 2 came out. But he does seem less "I'm in the dance what will i do next" and more "I'm in preparation, i could do this or that, pick your poison to stop me." my thoughts as i play. it was fun to feel like i was dancing. But he does look like a ton of fun in 5 from what I've seen so far. he can duck high's with SEB out of prep or parry lows with multiple "prep I". Now all he needs is to be able to avoid Siegfried's 3b with a sidestep. o.O

I will not say that i am an expert player with Raphael but i have played him ever since 03 when 2 came out. But he does seem less "I'm in the dance what will i do next" and more "I'm in preparation, i could do this or that, pick your poison to stop me." my thoughts as i play. it was fun to feel like i was dancing. But he does look like a ton of fun in 5 from what I've seen so far. he can duck high's with SEB out of prep or parry lows with multiple "prep I". Now all he needs is to be able to Siegfried's 3b with a sidestep. o.O
what would be really cool if you could prep side step and then do SEB (SEB being an a+k input from prep) to dodge the incoming horizontal high from your opponent trying to handle the sidestep. This type of play would require a lot of reading your opponent to understand how they counter with what they've done in previous matches. Man soul calibur is a lot of fun. :)

I think I saw "prep I" aGI ezio's mid attack (a weird leaping attack) so if it aGI's mids that helps in the anti-poke department if his prep entry whiffs. However, since a LOT of lows have a crazy crouch (or super crouch) properties, I'm worried to see what raph has an answer to that.

I think i'd prefer it if i saw :

Prep: if you input no command you'll automatically evade verticals. Kinda similar to SC4 raph.
Prep I: aGI's lows, special lows.
Prep~SEB: 100% reliable TC, and hopefully all the attacks that come out of SEB keep raph's head low so he doesn't un-TC during the frames.

Hi fencers !
Somebody posted this very interesting video of Kayane (Leixia) vs AI Raphael. The AI seems strong, but it seems it only took Kayane 3 matches to break the prep mix-ups. Assuming she wasn't playing around in the first matches. Still, it looks intersting.

http://8wayrun.com/media/elive-pro-kayane-leixia-vs-raphael-on-soul-calibur-v-demo.2840/

I'm a bit disapointed about prep kBE : the additionnal hit is a high and Kayane crouches to avoid it every time. And then, she punishes...

On the positive side, the cpu does this combo :
SE B, 66, prep A+B, which takes more than a third of the bar !!!

Just a quick edit :
Wouldn't it be better if prep's base mix up was between a fast mid and a rather slow low (ie prap A+B) ?

about damage : BB on CH looked like it barely did 20 damage, and the entire BBB string looked to do about 35.

3B~prepAB did more damage.

AI doesn't know any good followups to 66A+B yet.

yeah the kBE followup looks only good if the first kick connects

I still have yet to see a good answer to 2K from prep

prep needs a strong fast mid to be good unfortunately it doesn't seem to have one
I am actually worried that prep looks worse then it is in sc4

but his basics look far better so imo thats ok

Funny, I was the one who asked Kayane to upload that vid (she was taking requests on Twitter about what to upload first)

But i'm fairly dissapointed too, Prep K BE was being punished easily and I was wondering all the time if he has a single useful mid from Prep.

I apologize. I meant the second hit of 6BBB goes into Prep. And one more thing, Prep K needs to be safer on block. And he needs another mid to do during Prep. I have a suggestion. Maybe his Prep II 6AB or Prep III 6A from SC2??? Both were mid horizontals...
i think prepIII 6A was a high in 2. It was the same as his A6 in sc2. I just hope the dev team comes up with answers. I don't want to but if he's kinda lame in this one i just may convert to patroklos or ivy again :) :( But the main reason they have all of these versions and keep changing it is so they can fix everything for the final release.

Fendante, you do know there is an edit button in this forum, right?
It lets you, uh.. edit / correct your post, so you don't have to do multiple posts just to correct yourself.

Im sorry. Yes, it was a high. I haven't seen his old wrA in SCV yet. It could also be a possible mid during Prep.

Yeah I know there's an edit button. Sorry guys...I have a bad habit of not remembering its there. I'll avoid multiple posting from now on.

*sigh*
And there you are doing multiple posts again where you could just use the edit button.
Just remember if your post is the last on a thread, don't post a new one, just edit it, especially if your last post is just minutes ago.

Ok sorry I won't bring this up again, it's just annoying.

The new vid is nice, he looks more fun to use than his SC4 version for sure. But I guess there is still equipment breaks in SC5, as we saw Leixia destroys Raph's hat. ( No one messes with the hat! ) I hope the equipment break feature is not as ridiculous as in SC4 where you could be stripped to fight with your undies -_-

And it seems like step still destroys Raph..
But we'll see about that, this Raph is still interesting.

Giving you a heads up fendante. The forum is NOT automatically merging your post. Some poor soul is stuck cleaning up your posts and has already counted over 15 times he has to do so. I understand we're all hyped for Raph, but staying organized is a good way to facilitate structured discussion.

And it seems like step still destroys Raph..
But we'll see about that, this Raph is still interesting.

I have yet to see prepK connect on hit, so it better do a ton of damage or cause enough stun/knockdown to discourage them from stepping freely. Prep2A looks great (maybe even neutral on block!) and hopefully 6A tracks to one side 100% which means prepA tracks to the same side) like in SC5.

We all start somewhere, Fendante. I didn't know what PMs were for the longest time, we all make goofy mistakes at first. Just gotta learn from them. I know I've made my fair share, haha.

Vid leaves me a little worried that he might be reduced to fishing for 3B and 6B pokes, but the laughing during his new lows in stance is kind of intense/amazing and almost makes up for it, not to mention they look (for now!) really fast and possibily "unseeable". But without a scary mid, as mentioned... god I need this game already to figure stuff out for him. :(

Also wondering/worried if he's going to kind of end up being a weaker/alternative lexia, since his CE looks like the type of thing that combos off of everything. Getting to use those BE's and figureing out where to spend meter is going to be such a huge part of this game.

If 44ab stays as fast as it looks and keeps sc4s frames the damage nerf is justified

the frames on that move in sc4 made it the best prep entry
it was pretty abusable once you learned how to use it without getting ch'd out of it

From my understanding, they are actively restricting the raw damage raphael gets from his horizontals. Raphael's damage output is now going to be contained in his vertical arsenal. His horizontals (as long as they actually stop step/8wr/quick step) can be 20ish damage for all i care. Keep in mind that if you hit a stepper you'll probably get a CH bonus anyways (though I agree that 44AB looked like it was under 30 with no knockdown).

Lol look at the amazing damage on his 44AB from 1:19.. you'd think it would kill Leixua or at least set up for a guarnateed hit that does.. but o well. The move is counter hit too, so seeing 44AB on NH would be pretty sad.

That damage is laughably bad right now.

@WuHT : I agree, I don't mind their weak damage if horizontals help me control my opponent's moves. The problem is, if my A moves do limited damages, opponents will overlook them and consider it a profitable bet to step regularly : if they guess right and I do a vertical, they land a whiff punisher. If they guess wrong, they take a weak horizontal.

@shoorykezu : Welcome on the forums ! I mean no offense, but this video has already been posted.

@WuHT : I agree, I don't mind their weak damage if horizontals help me control my opponent's moves. The problem is, if my A moves do limited damages, opponents will overlook them and consider it a profitable bet to step regularly : if they guess right and I do a vertical, they land a whiff punisher. If they guess wrong, they take a weak horizontal.

@shoorykezu : Welcome on the forums ! I mean no offense, but this video has already been posted.

You'll be landing horizontals on them on CH. Its a big deal "if" your horizontals have some special CH property aside from damage increase (crumple stun ? spin stun ? attack throw animations ?) Part of my wishlist I suppose.

You'll be landing horizontals on them on CH. Its a big deal "if" your horizontals have some special CH property aside from damage increase (crumple stun ? spin stun ? attack throw animations ?) Part of my wishlist I suppose.

LOL funny you should mention that, his 22a spins on CH and guarantees super. Actually fuck it I'll just make a post on what I found at NEC, it can get merged/deleted later when the game comes out.

AThis is a big improvement since SC4 when Raph had a sucky 3B, Prep B, B(next two hits were not guaranteed and were negative on hit).
As a i16 punisher, 38 damage with nutty range is not bad at all. However, 3(B)~prepAB looks to do even more damage. I hope 6AB and prepAB's stance entry frames are really strong (better than 6BB and prepBB logically) to justify its lower range and being slower.

4B ducks highs and can also punish very unsafe moves and goes into Prep.
1K is going to have crazy tech crouch frames i hope too, and will catch sidesteppers (hopeful) to compensate for its lower damage and likely lower CH combo potential.

FC3B doesn't ring out anymore but stuns on CH (can't land another hit after it anymore, but it's okay).
In SC4 wrB leads to 55+ CH damage, which is pretty darn good for raph, so losing the combo hurts.

Back