SCV Interview With Daishi Odashima At NEC XII

After the conclusion of Saturday’s events at NEC XII, Soulcalibur V director Daishi Odashima and Yoshi Utoh we able to take some time out of their day for a sit down interview conducted by BrewtusBibulus to answer various questions from the Soulcalibur community.

You can check out the interview along with keyframes after the break, or you can view the video by clicking on the icon to the right of this post if you are reading this from the front page.

Keyframes from Sp1d3r:

0:50 What do Mitsurugi players have to look forward to with the removal of the knockdown of 2KB? (A 1:38)​
3:30 People are wondering if there is any way to regenerate your guard guage? (A 4:15)​
8:46 People are concerned that the flash of the Brave Edge moves will be too predictable. How does this factor into your design? (A 10:09 )​
12:32 What is a clean hit? 13:25 Why is it random? (A 15:31)​
16:56 Why can’t you be more manly?​
18:45 Why are so many characters getting their stances removed? (A 19:35)​
21:05 What do players have to look forward to that enjoyed mechanic-heavy characters like Setsuka or stance-heavy characters like Ivy? (A1 22:30 | A2 23:30)​
24:47 So you made the Street Fighter IV of Soul Calibur? (A1 25:13 | A2 25:38)​
26:33 Can you explain Just-Guard?​
27:30 What is the unsafe part of Just-Guard? (A1 28:00 | A2 28:46 )​
31:00 What would it take for you to patch the game and how often do you plan on patching it? (A1 32:55 | A2 35:25 | A3 36:50 )​
37:50 Are there infinites in the game? (A 38:18)​
38:50 Regarding character balance, would you buff the weaker side or nerf the stronger side? (A 39:40)​

Last edited by a moderator:
bibulushat.JPG

Right, couldn't resist...

There was a lot of good information that came out of this interview. I really like how people are focusing on one question out of the many that was asked. There is so many other things that could have gone wrong with this, just check out the hundreds of other interviews that has the same questions followed by the same vague answers given in response.

I'd say this is damn near as good as it currently gets for someone interested in competitive soul calibur and for people who want some insight as to how the director of the game was thinking when creating the game.

I'm glad they removed the knockdown of 2kb Mitsu. It wasn't overpowered or anything, but it was a bit annoying and borderline "cheap".

Today I played some SC IV and used some Mitsu...with his 2KB, just to prepare for his SC V version. I dont quite find it damn annoying, per se, but its got some anti-step properties that makes it great. Removal of knockdown nerfs its strengths, obvious, but it can be dealt with.

After all, SC V Mitsu is much different - loss of RLC and all that.

I was afraid to call it OP because some smart ass would have called me a noob for it, but thanks Josuey for saying what I didn't have the balls to say

J
Mitsurigi doesn't even need his 2kb to win matches anyway...he'll be fine on sc5

yes, it was overpowered, it was very dificult to read and it did good damage plus it left you open for an extra juggle hit
I was afraid to call it OP because some smart ass would have called me a noob for it, but thanks Josuey for saying what I didn't have the balls to say
It's a good move but if you learn how to maximize your punish after blocking it, it makes the move very risky.

It wasn't changed because it was overpowered, they want to change the way Mitsurugi is played.

sure, the move was punishable, but I had hard time reacting to the move in the first place. Seriously, that low was BS fast.

To me, it was just as annoying as Amy's fast low poke (don't know the input), only worse because instead of taking measly poke damage, I'm eating a juggle.

TBH I almost never block that low on reaction, it's usually anticipation, which obviously gets me into trouble when I falsely anticipate.

Whatever the reason why they changed it, I don't care I'm a happy camper :)

J
sure, the move was punishable, but I had hard time reacting to the move in the first place. Seriously, that low was BS fast.

To me, it was just as annoying as Amy's fast low poke (don't know the input), only worse because instead of taking measly poke damage, I'm eating a juggle.

TBH I almost never block that low on reaction, it's usually anticipation, which obviously gets me into trouble when I falsely anticipate.

Whatever the reason why they changed it, I don't care I'm a happy camper :)

Live streams

5 Viewers
marigram
marigram
spending more time on the godforsaken playstation network
2 Viewers
Deyzuna_
Deyzuna_
This game is awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members